Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Dating someone who lives with his parents      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bootielicious
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Dating someone who lives with his parentsPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Doesn't every single man live with their parents/share or not drive? Lol I can't find one that doesn't! For me it's a no no, I'd like to be able to get to know any potential partner away from the constraints of my family life and it's almost impossible to do when the other person has no where they can call their own.
 MrRichieb1971
Msg: 21
Dating someone who lives with his parents
Posted: 9/6/2007 2:01:23 PM
Well I am a self confessed 35 yo bloke who lives with his mother.. But my circumstances are probably quite unique. I've been married before but I skipped to the USA in 2000 for 6 years and lived completely alone for 2 of those, came back and couldn't afford a house. They like tripled in value. If a woman wants to laugh in my face that I live with my mother, I think thats better than living my life in debt. I'd move out in a heartbeat if the circumstances allowed it.

In most cases, I don't see it being any different from having a room mate. Independence is over rated, unless you have dependants.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2007 3:58:53 PM
really depends on the person i guess
Moved out when a lot younger,but when went to university had the choice of spending the grant during the summer months on some fairly vacant town at £40 per week plus bills or living with parents, then when left uni did not find the job i wanted and carried on living with parents saving up lots for a deposit.

As it is, owe a lot less on the house than what it is worth and repayments are easier from having a large deposit to place :)

Having a bad stutter and being shy was never easy, gotten over it a while back though and been in own house since about 2001, do all my own chores, but more fun with 2 people in the house.

Never had any children either, or at least none that i know about....
 MrRichieb1971
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/7/2007 6:22:10 AM
I've never taken a lady to my house on the first few dates anyway. It didn't matter if that was my parents or my own house. Oh, I get it
 MrRichieb1971
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/7/2007 6:59:00 PM
But the basic fact remains. If your a male that waited to settle down until after say 2002, its very unlikely you can now afford a property to call your own.

Lets say for arguments sake that owning a property was your wish and that is your standard for moving out. Why would I leave home to pay a minimum of £500 a month for a squat? That is just making my dream that much more impossible to reach.

My brother and his girlfriend had a baby 2 months ago. They applied for a council house and got it. They pay £130 a month rent . Man, I just can't tell you how unfair that is. Their combined income is about £35000 a year and they pay £130 a month rent. Anyone can do that!

Any of you parents that believe your 18 year old off spring is going to move out ASAP without aid, is just having a laugh. I hate to say it, but when my mother passes will be next opportunity, and thats what this country is coming to.
 MrRichieb1971
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/7/2007 7:25:40 PM
You have inspiring words I have no doubts about that.

If I applied for a council house I wouldn't make the top 200 highest priority cases I have accomadation and I earn too much. Also I have owned my own house before, bought it for £70000 in 1998 and paid £456 a month on my mortgage, unfortunately due to emmigrating to the States I sold it, things didn't work out and now I don't have a house or anything. So it's hard for me to take something less than what I had before. That very same house is £200,000+ now and unfortunately my salary didn't multiply by 3 in that time. In fact its barely gone up 10%..

Anyway, dating a woman who is concerned about my living conditions is not a concern. If I met a woman who I liked very much, it wouldn't matter if she lived in a hole in the ground. I would bring her up in the world without hesitation (as long as I could see a connection and ambition on her part). A problem shared is a problem halved and when you put it like that, even buying a house might not be so impossible afterall. So thats what I aim to achieve.
 xx_trouble
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2008 5:14:58 AM
I moved out of my family home at the age of 24 to go to uni for the second time, I have little issue with people living at home till whatever age they feel like or can afford to, I wanted to move out but had little choice as I could afford the mortgage payments but no company would give me the mortgage as I didn't earn enough to get it.
A lot of guys I know technically live at home but thats mainly due to them being serving in the forces so they live on camp during the week and come home at weekends or on leave.

For me I think if I was going for guys of 40 and over and they still lived at home, with no intention or wish to move out (and have never lived anywhere else) then I would question it, but thats me, I'm independent always have been I expect the same from a partner.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2008 1:28:15 PM
had to check msg 70's profile, all the long hair and stuff.... :)

moved out when was younger, then lost job and ended up going to uni, parents house during the summer at £0 and all the washing up or stuck in a student town with no students for £40 a week. Moved back in when course ended, bought house several years ago

guess it matters if the person is still dependent on their parents for cash and advice or it is of mutual benefit

pretty sure the asians have their grandparents living in their house as well most of the time..
 BouncyBall
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 12:31:34 PM
Personally I think if you're going to judge someone based on where they're living be it men or women (could be financial reasons, whatever) you're being a tad shallow and thats putting it lightly. Maybe a better word would be ignorant to the circumstances?

I don't care if my other half had to live with her mum and didn't have a pot to piss in, if I loved her I'd support her through thick and thin and get the situation sorted.
 BouncyBall
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 1:26:00 PM

if a guy has never cut his apron strings and left mummy's side by the time he's reached his late 40's then he certainly wouldn't be the type of man who would ring my bell.

You can't throw everyone into one basket, the single biggest reason keeping most people at home is finances, hence the recession because first time buyers don't have a chance. There are millions of people that would love a bit more space given that leg up the financial ladder, people who have had that chace should count themselves lucky.

But I'd never judge a lass based on where she's living or who she's living with, call it baggage (or parental baggage) but then you could label that to every single mum in the world and thats not fair either.

Note its not about just labeling this a male issue, in todays world its important to see it from both sides.
 lalby
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:21:55 PM
I once had a bit of a relationship with someone who lived with his mum and he was 30,but it was mainly just a sexual thing...but after a while it just fizzled out as i didnt want to take him to my house as i didnt really want anything full on with him and obviously i didnt want to go to his so things didnt work out as the car wasnt always a cool option.
I would be dubious about getting into something with a guy my age who had never lived away from home,im hoping my lads move out before they are 20,if not i am!!
 Sugra66
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 4:20:05 AM

Oh good god NO NO NO NO NO

Have never and would never date a man who still lived with his mother!

Agree - if they have never left home, never lived alone, managed a home - I ain't wanting another son to take care of !
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Dating someone who lives with his parents