Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The Beauty of Getting Older      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SueCat51
Msg: 9
view profile
History
The Beauty of Getting OlderPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
OP - great post, thank you!! Getting older is what we make of it. Overall, I think people today are aging much better than our parents did. What I like about being over 45 is what others think, no longer matters to me. I go with my gut feeling. I don't put up with crap. Age is on my side because I've learned more lessons in life. Those lessons haven't always been pleasant, but they've made me stronger. I know I'm alive when I laugh, when I cry, and when I experience great joy. Even more so, I know I''m really alive when I live my dreams. No matter how big my dreams seem to be, I go after them! I'm also blessed to have excellent skin and overall am in good health. Though I don't have the "perfect" body as defined by Hollywood or the fashion industry, I live by the motto "take me as I am". Don't try to change me, don't try to fix me!
 seatide
Msg: 10
view profile
History
The Beauty of Getting Older
Posted: 9/10/2007 11:16:03 AM

The most beautiful thing to me about old age is how precious life becomes exactly because it is ending sooner and inescapably, so that in looking back you appreciate what at the time was gone by in the rush. You see youth with the perspective of finally understanding what can't be at the time. It is frailty, death, sorrow and long backwards glances that make life beautiful when old.

How true. All people get old, all they have to do is live long enough. It is ultimately up to them to make new memories as they age.
 prolibertate
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/10/2007 12:55:55 PM

If getting old is so great, why do people need to make speeches about how great it is to get old? It sounds to me like getting old depresses people and they like pointing out the benefits to offset the costs. For example, what if you have always enjoyed life, liked yourself, and been wise? Then age will not be a magical improvement.

Have to agree with you. I get pretty tired of the posts in this section because so many of them make being over 45 sound like we're practically dead. We're not! We're nowhere near being 'old'...unless we believe we are...and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Too many people think about 'growing older' and don't simply enjoy living in the moment right now. when I look at those in their 20s (and some in their 30s) today, I wouldn't trade being 48 for anything if it meant being in that generation. I enjoyed growing up in my own generation and the passing of time; the learning that came along with it and is still happening; and I enjoy *today* and will enjoy tomorrow when it gets here.
 AndalusiaJoey
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/10/2007 12:56:32 PM

The most beautiful thing to me about old age is how precious life becomes exactly because it is ending sooner and inescapably, so that in looking back you appreciate what at the time was gone by in the rush.
As the French say, Swamp Thing, "bien parle'!" I do not find myself moved by as you write smarmy drivel either. The beauty of getting old, for me at lease, is that you have the privilege of at long last seeing the world from the eyes of your forebears, of people who you adored when a child. And now it is our turn!

My view is becoming as economical as my spirit is regarding love. Many of the things that surrounded love I have cut away, because I have learned they are silly musings and always have been, but we play them anyway because of the game. I like seeing the chains and chokers before my eyes, the shackles that once we attached to the concept of love. Como liberar!!! Salut!
 Talitha001
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2007 5:23:11 PM
I've never thought of aging as a bad thing...I'm enjoying my 50's and still feel 30...so it's all good!! Kids are grown and on their own...and for the first time in 30 years...I get to concentrate on ME!!!!! I'm loving the empty nest and just having myself to care for!!! I love my kids and we are together often..but my day to day living is just about me!!! I feel like I'm finally getting to know myself...No pressure of kids schedules, kids illnesses, etc. My kids are safe and sound..happy in their relationships....I wouldn't trade this time in my life for anything. I feel blessed and lucky to be experiencing this...
 blondebeauty2010
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/11/2007 8:15:44 PM
loved the post lady in waiting i totally agree
 canyunflyer
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2007 8:39:14 PM
guess I'm kinda hanging in the middle here. I too get weary of the sentimental dribble that passes for poetry and muse in circles here on the internet. Or, the self inflating gratuitous syrupy rationals that gloss over all the rough spots and paint that rose colour'd portrait. But, on the other hand, I also see the wisdom and the serenity in a lot ot it too. I guess I like the balanced approach. getting old just plain sucks!! Yes, theres certainly that part of it. to say otherwise is a lie. However, the creator in his infinite wisdom, gave it a positive side as well. So, in the end. All of us are right.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/27/2014 8:50:24 AM
I got this from a dear friend via email today and I wanted to share it with the readers of POF. I don't know who the author is, but their words ring so true. I hope you will enjoy reading it.

"The other day, a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. However, after pondering over her question, my reply was as follows.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometimes despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror, but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family, for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio.

I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon, before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging. Whose business is it, if I choose to read or play on the computer til 4 AM and sleep til noon! I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and if I wish, I will weep over a lost love.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. For they too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful, but there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken.
How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, when a child sufferes, or when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? A heart never broken is a pristine and sterile heart and will never know the joy of being imperfect

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've earned the right to be wrong.

So to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting on what could have been, or worrying about what will be and I will eat dessert every single day if I feel like it!"

I hope that in reading the above, that you will give yourself permission to enjoy getting older and see it as an exciting and wonderful time, full of the freedoms we all long for. That it no longer matters what anyone thinks and that you don't need to justify yourself to anyone but you! Acceptance of yourself, comes first and foremost. It is only then that we all find true happiness.

Wow what a great post...I am happy I've had things to laugh about, happy I had 2 pregnancies/sons & have enjoyed life & no longer take in other's baggage. I plan on an even better 2015...Happy New Year to everyone!
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2014 9:51:23 AM
I don't normally post in this particular section, because the topics are all about fluffing the pillow in a preordered coffin. Morbid, depressing, hopeless. Sagging this, wrinkles that, and gray hair (if any).

My life didn't even start until around forty, and I've had my best sex ever since then by any measure you can think of. Likewise, the women my age are more sophisticated, interesting, caring and way better in bed. I don't even WANT a spring chicken who hasn't figured out what makes her tick. Y'all can moan about being over the hill all you want, but I know the best is still ahead of me.

To those who feel similarly, Happy New Year.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/27/2014 10:00:47 AM

I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie,

I have never done that in my entire life, younger or older.
 Dreamin_of_you
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/27/2014 10:43:55 AM
The adage "you are only as old as you think you are" applies to us all.

One has to feel good for those who have found enjoyment in life, and sad for those whose life experiences have resulted in an unpleasant aging. I am one of the "lucky ones" who have simply gone through life and not suffered too much. My outlook is positive, for I do not lack anything in terms of creature comforts - with the exception of why I am on an online dating site. It's not like I planned and worked at it; I was just lucky.

The aging process is just a fact of life/living. How we handle it though is another matter. Living and seeing the beauty around us is a blessing to be thankful for. Nice post OP.
 DameWrite
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2014 10:53:33 PM
Ok, I'm fine with growing old... Now can I be young again? Can I? Can I? lol

Really it is a nice thread with a lot of nice posts, all the best in 2015 everyone! Enjoy who you've become.
 Strings6
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2014 4:39:07 AM
Old age,nothing can be done about it except dying so we make the best of it....would I give anything to be 25 again.....yes just about anything.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/28/2014 8:17:18 AM
^^^^ Not making light but this is a charming 25 yr old who decided to brighten my Sunday full of a head cold morning.
"Hey sexy. You feel like watching a hung, younger guy, jack off over Skype for you? I'm actually 25, and I'm 8.5 inches."
The beauty of being older is that this made me laugh out loud!

I'd rather be 19 again. :)
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/31/2014 9:28:54 AM

The beauty of being older is that this made me laugh out loud!

Exactly! Perspective is a wonderful thing.

I'd rather be 48 again.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/31/2014 9:53:41 AM
What a great thread with intelligent, well-considered, and thoughtful posts. Very enjoyable to read.
The only way I would accept a trade to an earlier version of me is if the wisdom acquired over the years comes along!
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/31/2014 12:59:08 PM
Never needed toilet paper in the back seat at 25...

I'm gonna move that roll to my trunk.

The older gals don't play cat and mouse games:)
 cooldog65
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2015 12:17:47 AM
"Hey sexy. You feel like watching a hung, younger guy, jack off over Skype for you? I'm actually 25, and I'm 8.5 inches."

Oh you wanna have an even bigger laugh...compared to this guy I come up a bit short.

I would be happy to go back to 39 when I was in the greatest shape of my life before my shoulders went bad.

I also made a poor dating choice at that time. I dropped a nice lady I had just met for another who I thought was a more sure bet and that turned out to be one of the biggest dating mistakes I ever made. My dating luck has been up and down since then. I'm still kicking myself.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/2/2015 9:26:27 AM
^^ he was prolly fibbing. And I don't skype :/
I should learn to act my age but heck I'm never been this age before. Need a manual or something
 VoxClamantis
Msg: 34
The Difficulty of Getting Older
Posted: 1/2/2015 11:45:21 AM
The hardest thing about getting older is that it is more difficult to get a good sight picture down anything longer than a police special .38.
 activemelaney
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2015 12:15:25 PM
I've never been into the Hallmark card drivel.

'Getting older'...whatever.

I still like the same things...and hot sex. I'm not any different in my mind than at 25 or 35...

I deal with all types of people everyday. Old nasty people were probably nasty when they were younger. Sweet old ladies were probably sweet when they were younger. Being older doesn't make anyone a different species.

Bulging body ? Nothing ok with it at 18 or 68. It is unhealthy, not acceptable because you are 'getting older'.If you have a saggy butt or big belly it's because you have followed a poor lifestyle...not because you are older. I just came back from playing Pickle all and am going dancing tonight with a crowd from age 25 to 70. Nothing about getting older is a license to act like you are dead. Yikes...no wonder some men are attracted to younger women...they don't think like over the hill grandmas.
 Walts
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/2/2015 2:03:07 PM

I'm not any different in my mind than at 25 or 35...

Never learnt a thing since then? Really?

I would really question anyone that would admit such a thing after being on this earth for more than 3 decades. Spending time here, or there, you would think you would pick up on a few things that you thought differently of than, say, yesterday. Or, are you saying you had all figured out by 35?

Wisdom is wasted on all us old shiats.

Well, some us anyways.
 petula1908
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/2/2015 6:08:59 PM
For me I lament the sagging body, the wrinkles of course, but welcome the poorer eyesight which allows me to look in the mirror and not see those things so well lol!! I no longer worry so much about what people think of me, trying to please and not offend, which was the blight of my youth. "What other people think of me is none of my business" never a truer statement. I am more patient, kinder and more tolerant now and I think a much nicer person. I am always learning and now teach as well.

I treat each day as it if it is my last, and wear all my best clothes and jewellery and use all the good china and glassware. Tomorrow may never come.
 Walts
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/3/2015 5:30:44 AM

I treat each day as it if it is my last, and wear all my best clothes and jewellery and use all the good china and glassware. Tomorrow may never come.

I just got news this morning on another one taken away from us a little too early in her life. My tears didn't slow down until I was reminded how hard she fought, and how much she actually "lived" during her battle for the last year and a half. Still hurts but, knowing her and the family, I know she "lived" and know she wouldn't appreciate the tears as much as the smiles.
 lifeisgrand5
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2015 2:50:23 AM
To be age is just a number and way too many people are hung up on age.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The Beauty of Getting Older