Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Church Stile Holiday Park, Lake District Camping Weekend Photos and C      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wendywoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Church Stile Holiday Park, Lake District Camping Weekend Photos and CommentsPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Just want to say thanks to Si and Chrissy...........I have had a brilliant time. Chrissy you are so lovely and easy to get on with and so was Chubby Chops (sorry hun, but couldn't resist saying it and you know I don't say it nastily ;0)) It was super meeting all these people off the site. I will come again when there is another one. Sod the ones who spoil things!!!!

It was a brilliant weekend.

Wend xxx
 aquaplane
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Church Stile Holiday Park, Lake District Camping Weekend Photos and Comments
Posted: 9/16/2007 4:07:55 PM
Well I had a good time this W/E. It was good to see some new fish and Simon again, thanks for organising the do Si and Chris. I'm pants with names, I just had to look at the signup pics to find out who was who, I still don't think some of them were there.

A big shout out to everyone, especially the little girl, sorry I didn't have any bubbles for you but the offer of a lick of your lolly was much apreciated.

I was sorry to miss out on the daytime activity on Saturday but I don't think I'm up to mountain climbing anyway these days.

The site is in a beautiful part of the Lakes, do you think they will have us back next year?
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2007 4:20:59 AM
Yewbarow is a savage mountain

Word quickly spread around the Wasdale area that an all British team was about to attempt a direct assault on Yewbarrow, a mighty lakeland giant.The team had prepared for the ascent the night before by taking on plenty of fluids and some had even retired to bed before daybreak to conserve energy for the challenge ahead.
An early start came and went and the team gathered at the foot of the mountain some time in the afternoon.
Group photographs were taken as we set off on the long walk in to the start of the tortureous
ascent. Finally there it was towering above us, and with a certain amount of trepidation we stated to move slowly onwards and upwards.
We gained height slowly and after some time an advanced group had established themselves high up on the mountain. By this time the rest of the party were stretched out over a large area and it was decided to send someone down to assist and cajole.
Then we got word, calamity, a large boulder the size of a house (or was it a mouse?) had become dislodged and rolled over the finger of one of the climbers below.

TBC
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2007 4:44:34 AM
It was decided the mountain rescue ere not needed and emergency first aid was duly administered.
By now the advanced party were within reach of the col above us, where we could make the decision to push for the summit or drop down to safety on the other side.
It was at this point we could see some of the group were struggling in the demanding conditions some way below us. A team was despatched down the mountain to assist using fixed ropes and a promise of free beer should they make it.
Sadly though some of the group had succumbed to altitude sickness and dehydration, probably brought on by their enthusiastic training the night before. There was no choice their attempt had to be curtailed and for them the pub beckoned.
By now the advanced group had reached the col to be met by a howling gale that threatened to hurl us off the mountain and into the abyss below. We gathered together and looked up to the route ahead. A mighty rock buttress barred our progress and it was decided our intrepid group were all but done for. But as we had reached the dizzy heights of the col and achieved our aim, the best option was to attempt the frightening descent down the other side of the mountain to safety.
With all the group now gathered together on the windswept and treacherous mountain we set off into the howling gale and with great purpose and endeavor we managed to descend the great hill and march triumphantly back along the road to the awaiting press below.
Next time with more training the summit will be ours.
 ~ Norm ~
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Brill weekend - a massive thank you to Si & Chrissy
Posted: 9/17/2007 8:08:21 AM

its hard to put into words how this camping meet went, especially as im a bit quiet...
For someone who struggles to put things into words, you hit it right on the head. Couldn't have put it better; Perfect!

A massive thank you to Si & Chrissy for a cracking weekend

Photos coming soon. What kind of super heros are you people? A weekend like that and you're still up at 4:00AM posting piccies!! The only thing I was sorting was

Next trip please!
Ian xXx
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2007 12:08:13 PM
Simon, that is disgraceful but it does'nt suprise me in the least. Given the fact that we had filled her campsite for the weekend, caused no trouble, save for a little noise left no mess and boosted the pubs profits, i think a bit of gratitude would be more in order.
From what i can make out, it was'nt members of our group who caused the trouble. She told me when i left that she had never had the police on site before and that all our details had been passed over to the police.
I urge everyone who attended to email the site with your thoughts and comments.
 lalby
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/17/2007 5:07:30 PM
Judging by the pictures you had a fab weekend up there camping with SIK & Chrissy
Well done to you all for attending and supporting this meet event
Hope you have fun organising more camping meet's and as much fun there !
Look forward to catching up with you soon at a meet night
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2007 9:41:06 AM
Hi everyone, thanks to all for a great weekend, Bodie and i look forward to the next one.
In fact we are planning a walk over Kinder Scout in the Peak District soon and if any of you would like to join us feel free to mail me for details.
The walk would take 3-4 hours amidst probably the most dramatic scenery in the Pennines. It would be a circular route starting from Hayfield in Derbyshire and perhaps not quite as demanding as our Wasdale epic.

aquaplane
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2007 11:34:15 AM
If anyone is interested in travelling to the Bowness "do" it will almost certainly be a hotel/B&B do. As far as I know the Hosts are coming fron a fair way away so there isn't the option of a doss at their place, I could be wrong tho.

There is a camp site a couple of hundred yards away from the pub but I don't know if it's open so late in the year, it might only be for caravans even?

Mind you there is loads of accommodation in and around Bowness/Windermere, it's dead touristy.

I like all the new pics too, I almost feel as though we were there

Edit, just looked it up, the camp site is Braithwaite Fold, but it's caravans only :O(

and again, LML, didn't Peter Kay cover a somg about Amoretto?
 ~ Norm ~
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2007 3:47:54 AM
Paul & gden: Up for both those meets as long as the timings right. More than happy to give a lift to John if he needs it!

Shelly: Are you really such a pushover for poetry? I thought Mick was a dead man for his aliterative "Massive Mumps Michelle" crack!

Ian xXx
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2007 2:11:52 PM
Great post Steve, you got it just about right. Shell, loved your poem, your a star.
The Camp Kommandant told me when i arrived she was badly affected by the foot and mouth outbreak, well in my opinion....i think thats where she should have put it.
Take note everyone.....dont patronise church stile campsite.
Pretty sure we all had a better weekend than her though.......Here's to the next one.

Bodiesroadie
Msg: 71
view profile
History
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2007 6:07:23 AM
Bodies' still buzzin.

Bodiesroadie
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2007 11:02:40 AM
I'll drink to that!!!
Nice one Mick, hope we dont have to wait a year before we all meet up again.

lalby
Msg: 91
Well what a fantastic Weekend ive had. I cant beleive I neally missed it.
Posted: 10/2/2007 11:47:11 PM
Well done Simon looks like you all had fun and things went well,i will have to get myself along to 1 of your camping meets next year when the weather is a little better. well done you
 ~ Norm ~
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Church Stile Holiday Park, - Chairs!
Posted: 10/3/2007 1:43:33 PM
Hi Peeps

I'll try to get the last word in then.

There were three folding chairs left at the site. They have a very comforty home at the mo. but anyone who can describe them can have them back.

Otherwise they'll become POF camping kit for use of the group. Save all those soggy bums that we suffered!

Hope you'll all going to the Aqua Bar; Chrissy is promising to be the star karekoe queen!

Look after yourself chums!

Ian xXx
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Church Stile Holiday Park, Lake District Camping Weekend Photos and Comments