Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > what's the relationship between tolerance & good looks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 specialone78
Msg: 1
what's the relationship between tolerance & good looksPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'm just curious to know, cause I'm sure a lot of you have faced this already

but why is it that the better looking the person we're going out with, the higher we're willing to put up with their BS? And quicker we fall in love with them.

this applies to both men & women.
 Engage-me
Msg: 2
what's the relationship between tolerance & good looks
Posted: 9/21/2007 11:00:46 PM
One word: Neediness.

that really says it all, but they won't post something so short.
 waboloh
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2007 7:42:13 AM
I believe you have to be attracted to someone to want to be in a relationship with them but lets not forget that it is what is inside that matters most. Looks fade with time, but what is inside remains forever........Life is way to short to be miserable in a relationship just because you think he or she is to good looking to let go......so I say throw back that bad catch and keep fishing!!!!
 SueCat51
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2007 9:36:36 AM
Perhaps if one has "arm candy", it feeds their ego? Too often, people seek others to validate their self worth. What a pity.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2007 4:09:39 PM
This happens when looks are treated as a commodity by men & women, and when men & women play the "yes" game, working harder for a richer client who can offer them more than a more honest and reliable but less wealthy one. Usually the 2 behaviours go hand-in-hand.

After all, who is the better singer, actor and dancer? Britney or Christina Aguilera? Men are more attracted to Britney because of her "little girl" look, so she's considered more attractive, and everyone wants to buy her records and do what she wants. Talent doesn't come into it, IMO.

But today, this type of behaviour is all-too-common in business. It's the same in dating. It is really hard today to find people who act with integrity, and treat people because of who they are and how they treat you, and not what they can give you.

I do believe the clinical term you are looking for would be "Low self esteem".
Too true. Unfortunately, that applies to the majority of people.
 ladyc4
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/22/2007 5:01:15 PM
Maybe I'm reading more into it that what really is being said, but why is there this underlying assumption that very attractive people have NOTHING ELSE going for them, and ugly folks have hearts of gold, great personalities etc, I've met beautiful folks of both genders, who WERE IN FACT beautiful all the way thru, and ugly people who were ugly to the bone.
Yes, as a completely practical matter, there is a fair amount of research indicating that "good looking" "attractive" people get treated better in general, get better jobs, etc. But if you are going to fucus on interpersonal/romantic relationships, I'm not sure that good looks are that much of a defense. However, I would be inclined to think that a very attractive person would be able to find a new fool to mistreat more quickly, and with less effort, than the average or plain looking person.
So I don't know as there is an EASY answer to this question.
Cindy O
 Winter Sparkle
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/22/2007 10:13:52 PM
I don't care how good looking you are. I don't put up with crap!
 MONEMPERER
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/23/2007 8:58:46 AM
people will do it for alot of reason social reasons most of all. You tend to feel better about yourself if you have a beautiful person on your arm. Its part of showing off the person your with everyone does this. If you feel the person your with is ugly you dont show it off so much. its part of Human nature. Yes their personality will cause them to be kept or tossed aside but that first little bit their looks can blind a person.

To be honest I dont and never will trust a really beautiful women why because of my experiences with them. I tend to treat people how I would like to be treated but at the first sign of bs I can get very the opposite. I also notice beautiful women will use their looks to get alot of guys to do things for them. I have had conversations with alot of them about say why they are with present bf it comes down to money. There is an online pic of a really really really fat guy with a model looking gf and the quote beside it is a money = true love
 kitten23xox
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/7/2008 8:38:24 PM
because that's how we are prewired
 gtomustang
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/8/2008 5:08:47 AM
There are people who have low self esteem, and having a trophy on their arm makes them look better to themselves, and to others. Hence, putting up w/ BS--which they probably deal with a lot, since they live a life of low self esteem, so it doesn't seem like much of a cost, just a part of everyday life--is just a cost to pay for feeling like they are good enough to attract a hawtie. Its the ego emotional rush that is the payoff.
 SwampHunter
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/8/2008 5:38:28 AM
OP - you have to resist that urge. I've had to give up on absolutely beautiful women because they were extremely self centered and treated me with disrespect. Ultimately, it is just impossible to have a healthy relationship with someone like that, no matter HOW hot they are. I'm glad I've learned that lesson, and that I now know when it's time to cut my losses.

Mark
 Miss W
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/8/2008 11:44:32 AM
I don't put up with nonsense either. A person can be physically attractive, but if they have a lousy personality, they are ugly in my eyes.
 c_deacon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 12:17:05 PM
Tolerance is the price of democracy..........good looks is the price paid to your parents for bringing you into the world and taking good care of you........either that or enough money to have science put together what nature could not........

OT........To be tolerant is a part of your nature, experiences, and situations that will afford you greater chances of success with being even tempered rather than curt.....

What good looks will get you, is that initial door opened enough to allow others to know you better with less work then it takes those that do not have those looks. Once there, you still have to earn respect, and that takes more than good looks.......it takes character.....

Just my opinion.......
 PhotoWorld
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 9:32:17 AM
Only problem is somewhere in it you lose what your
really wanting and settling for only the looks.
Sometimes we should look deeper in what makes us happy
then whether there good looking. JMO
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > what's the relationship between tolerance & good looks