Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > serial deleters and post complainers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 goaliebns
Msg: 2
serial deleters and post complainersPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I agree people are voting to delete just for the fun of it.. No thread should be deleted.. If people don't like the topic they won't participate and it will die
 Ticketoride
Msg: 4
serial deleters and post complainers
Posted: 9/28/2007 8:15:46 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to simply show the name of the person who votes for deletion of thread or post. As well, to show the name of the person who reports posts for deletion.

Most definitely not.
Sets the Stage for a Peanut Gallery and even more Soap Opera and Complaints.

How about admin keeping track so serial thread killers can be monitored.

Been done since the Inception of the "Thread Voting" Feature was implemented.

I agree people are voting to delete just for the fun of it.. No thread should be deleted

You can always e-mail a Moderator to review your Thread to cancel the Voting.

I'm sure you are aware there are people who stalk some members for the purpose of creating harrassing posts.

Show me a Victim, and I will show you someone who files no Reports.

Cause & Effect
The Ying & the Yang

It has always been the most Bizarre Curiosity to me that those who cry the loudest Foul are the worst Offenders of the very samething they whine about ...

We also know there are people who generate muliple profiles. Consequently, one person can use multiple profiles to harrass certain individuals of their choice and have posts and threads deleted.

While I cannot give the Scoop on this, but you are badly mistaken.
There are a few, and they are burning their Bridges faster than you can say 'Yo Mama'.

Please explain how those threads are left standing and how they are different from the one I created.

Where is your Report?

Its my understanding admin already does this. Both admin and mods have access to this info and its my understanding that people that put threads up for deletion are dealt with accordingly.

110% correct !!!

Related Links:Forums: User Votes wrongly delete Threads
Forums: Report Channels
 Ticketoride
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/28/2007 9:30:32 PM
Where is your Report?

Would never make one. I believe there are people enjoying those threads. So why would I do anything to take away that joy or entertainment, even if it were in my right?

Related Links:Forums: Restorations of the Forums
Forums: Buh-Bye Chatroom
 cooldude
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/29/2007 1:17:54 PM

you two are off your rockers!
op, if this is typical of the type of thread you post, i can easily see why they're getting voted off by the pof user base.

Actually they are not that far off base on that question. Give any user the ability to control the out come in a public forum there is ALWAYS a potential for abuse. Some people do vote to delete a thread for legitimate reasons. Some do it just because they do not like the topic or just because they have the power to do so. I've heard this mentioned before where if a user shows a history of constantly voting to delete a topic, it disables it, or something to that effect. I read this reply from a moderator.
 goaliebns
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/29/2007 7:00:40 PM
humormonger

you two are off your rockers!

Gee what a nice response to an opinon.

I still believe that no posts should be deleted. What harm does it do ? If people don't want to participate in it the thread will die. If they do then who cares what the topic is..
 yayawhatever
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2007 7:23:10 PM
We care, because we want to keep the forums on track.

Related Links:Forums: Restorations of the Forums
Forums: Buh-Bye Chatroom

Perikaryon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2007 6:25:50 AM
quote]I can not sit back when someone is being "bullied" or "belittled"...

In whose opinion are they being belittled....Yours or Theirs??

People should not join discussion forums with the sole intention of appointing themselves 'Guardian Angel' Vigilantes on a crusade, especially when the 'adopted protectee' may be unconcerned, have a different perspective level....and might actually feel offended by unwanted unterventions.

This is a debate forum for adults and there a range of options available to people who themselves have decided they have cause to feel bullied....violation reports, a private message to moderators etc.
 goaliebns
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/30/2007 7:56:51 AM
humor:

My aren't you a ray of positive Sunshine..
 cooldude
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/30/2007 10:42:37 AM
Obviously some form of control is needed to prevent it from get out of hand. Too much control & it takes away what the forums were suppose to be in the first place: fun.

It's more likely due to the fact that too many people are starting threads that deserve to be deleted.

Not always. Some people like to file what I like to call nitpicking reports. Too many emoticons in a thread, report something when they did not read the rules completely themselves. Offensive topics in a sex & dating forum. Duh, thats why they call it sex & dating forum.

The Piranha's get hungry in the sea of POF & like to come eat your thread.....lol
 Ticketoride
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/30/2007 12:51:31 PM
In whose opinion are they being belittled....Yours or Theirs??

And here we deal with the "Grey Zones" of People's Sensitivities.

A dis-agreement with a Discussion Point does not constitute "Belittling".

A Reference about the Poster personally which should have no Bearing on the Topic in the first Place most certainly does. Hence no Posts/Threads about Posters or POF Personal are permitted.

People should not join discussion forums with the sole intention of appointing themselves 'Guardian Angel' Vigilantes on a crusade, especially when the 'adopted protectee' may be unconcerned, have a different perspective level....and might actually feel offended by unwanted unterventions.

Irrelevant if anyone considers the Content of any Post Message as "Unwanted Intervention", as that would simply be a Reflection of someone's Opinion.

Furthermore, anyone's "Motives" or "Intentions" are not under Question in a Message, but whether a Content qualifies as a Bona-Fide Post, unless its clear that Poster seeks to Troll the Thread.

If its Off-Topic, Chat, Trolling, etc., then it everybody's Business.

Some people like to file what I like to call nitpicking reports. Too many emoticons in a thread, report something when they did not read the rules completely themselves. Offensive topics in a sex & dating forum.

There is no need to worry about that.
We are well aware of those who file Nitpick Reports, and we act accordingly.

Related Links:Forums: False Reporting & Report Thread Abuse
Forums: Excessive Reporting

Too much control & it takes away what the forums were suppose to be in the first place: fun.

And that has already been broadly published in the TOS, Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines.

If anyone wishes to disagree, don't post here.
If such is the Case, searching 'Google' for 'Chatrooms'
might be a better Option.
 nipoleon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2007 6:04:39 PM
I've never liked the voting to delete option.
I think there are some people who will vote a thread off just to keep their own threads at the top of the page. It's very frustrating to see an interesting thread disappearing for no apparent reason. It's also frustrating to go to the trouble to write a well thought out response to a thread and have it disappear out from under you. It's very frustrating when a thread appears, a lot of people jump on it, then bam, it disappears !
The relationship forums were much more interesting and vibrant before the voting option came about.

I have what I think is a much better solution.
Take away the voting option and keep threads based on their popularity.
Once the number of postings falls below a certain average, get rid of it.
For instance, if the number of postings on a thread, divided by the number of days it's been up, falls below say 1 per day or 1 per week, get rid of it. Why should a thread stick around which no one wants to talk about anymore ? Why should a thread stick around that no one has posted on for 6 months ?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/30/2007 7:19:36 PM
Take away the voting option and keep threads based on their popularity.

Has to based on the Guidelines as to what constitutes a Forum.
Chatting may well be popular, but not here, popular or not.
Trolling & Flamewars are popular on USENET, not here.
Wrong Yardstick, doesn't work, been there, done that.

It's also frustrating to go to the trouble to write a well thought out response to a thread and have it disappear out from under you.
Related Links:Forums: User Votes wrongly delete Threads
Forums: Prevent your Thread from being deleted
 nipoleon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2007 12:21:20 AM
I'm not suggesting keeping chat threads or trolls. Those are obviously against the rules. But, a perfectly good forum subject should be allowed a chance to live or die by it's own merits. It shouldn't be killed off because a few people don't like it in the first 20 minutes.
There are thousands of people here and a thread needs a chance to be viewed.
If people want to post on something let them post.
When they get tired of it and stop posting, then kill it off or send it to the archives.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/1/2007 2:19:53 AM
It shouldn't be killed off because a few people don't like it in the first 20 minutes.

In any Event, a Thread would have to be approved/rejected on the Basis of what is or isn't a Forum, ie. Frequently Asked Questions

If it goes outside that Sphere, we have something else. Not negotiable.

Always up to the Admin, but I have no disagreements extending it to 18/24 votes over a 24 Hour Span.

That would be more than enough Input to qualify a Thread.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/13/2008 1:40:47 PM
Some folk seem to delete based on who posts, rather than what's being discussed. Step on a crybaby's toes with an opinion base that makes them question themselves, and you're on a list. The voting should not be anonymous. A list of who voted should be sent to the deleted thread's starter.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/13/2008 4:49:56 PM

Why?

People tend to be more thoughtful in the open, than under the cover of anonymity.

I think the option to delete a thread should come after it has been up for a certain amount of time, rather than instantly after being posted. Say 12/24 hours. My last thread was neither supid nor redundant. (Maybe playful is the word you're looking for.) I did a search.

You're right though. I see many threads that make me scratch my head, wondering how they made it past the trigger happy deletion police. Maybe it's because they are put up at a time when the site isn't very busy, and after they've been up long enough, they can't be touched.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/13/2008 4:59:39 PM
Subject: serial deleters and post complainers

Don't post redundant threads and you won't have that problem - Learn to use your FORUM Thread Search Tool to avoid having your threads deleted - eg. your shower sex thread.

Yeah, you got me on that one; but, the last one was not redundant. I did a search, and nothing had been posted in Relationships along the same vein. I think there was a knee jerk reaction to the word "farting" before reading the post. No big loss; but, it did make me start questioning the way threads are deleted, before they are given a chance to go anywhere.

Who am I to question a system that's been in place for a while? At least I did a search, and didn't start a new thread. lol
 Indigo rose
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/13/2008 7:20:34 PM

Don't post redundant threads and you won't have that problem

There is nothing new under the POF sun. It's all been talked about before.
I vote to delete this thread.
 MCL4
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/30/2015 8:08:58 AM
It's crazy things like this.. how is it trolling?

http://i.imgur.com/EgVKkcV.jpg
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > serial deleters and post complainers