Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Deleted Threads - Redundant Threads - Old Threads      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 techgirl27
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Deleted Threads - Redundant Threads - Old ThreadsPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Where is there a thread where we can get real, live answers to deleted threads? I haven't had any in a long time, but I sense users' frustration with the cut and paste cookie-cutter response when we've checked all those things and they still get deleted. I know I have checked, searched, ensured, etc, and know you can't stop the vigilantes out there. And when you get the email, it doesnt say why. Why not? How are we supposed to know what to change?
 yayawhatever
Msg: 2
view profile
History
deleted threads - real answers
Posted: 10/20/2007 10:27:42 PM
How are we supposed to know what to change?

The answers are splashed all over the forums. In the form of accessible links to the forum posting rules/guidelines.

The official answer to your query is now, and will always be the same:

From the Acceptable Use & Posting Rules FAQ

The Vast majority of threads are deleted by the community, here are some of the Reasons why a thread may become Deleted:

* Redundunt Thread
* Thread Went Off Topic
* Thread Topic was Hijacked
* Turned into Chat Thread
* Extensive Trolling/Offensive Topic Matter
* Thread was severely Spammmed
* Bashing, Insulting, Slamming other Posters
* Libel/Slander Thread
* Flame War
* User Name in Thread Header or Opening Post
* Polarized Thread
* Excessive Sequential Replies/Post-Whoring
* Illegal/Unlawful Thread
* Copyright/Intellectual Property Infringment Thread
* Non-English Language Thread
* Improper Thread Format (Illegal UBB/HTML Code, CAPS, etc.)

We can not tell you what happened to your Thread because:

1. We do not keep any Records of deleted Threads.
2. We do not remember your Thread
3. We do not have Time to report deleted Threads.

If your thread is suddenly gone, its for 1 of the Reasons above.
Asking any Question beyond this point, is a waste of your and
our time, because ...

1. We do not keep any Records of deleted Threads.
2. We do not remember your Thread
3. We do not have Time to report deleted Threads.

If you can't find your Thread, and you wish to complain about it, your complaint, like your Thread will get deleted, because we do not have Time for that. There is no bureaucracy on the Drawing Boards for such an Administrative Function either.

Related Threads:Posting Rules
Forum Rules - Specific
Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rule Violations - Report Thread

Thread Search InstructionsForums: Why not delete Posts instead of Thread?
Forums: User Votes wrongly delete Threads
Forums: False Reporting & Report Thread Abuse
Forums: How to prevent your Thread from being deleted

techgirl27
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 10:36:21 PM
Any threads that I have had deleted didnt violate any of those things. It was just a "controvertial topic" or about a team "other than" their favorite team, or they didnt read the whole post to get the real intention, and misconstrued it. Why am I asking if I think I know? well those are educated guesses. I always repost, either carbon copy, or the exact same post with a couple of words modified, and get a successful thread generated. Its because vigilantes or troublemakers were reading first time. When that happens, and the email gets generated, it never says the reason why. So when there was nothing wrong with it the first time, but just that vigilantes were "out to kill someone else's thread", how are we supposed to have an idea on what to change if it doesnt say???
 yayawhatever
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 10:44:06 PM
This has also been addressed, as moderators are capable of halting the vote to delete process.

If it is found that certain users are abusing the vote to delete feature, they will lose this ability to use this option.

When in question, contact a moderator and have them approve the thread for you.

Related Thread:Thread Deletions

Ticketoride
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/21/2007 12:40:55 AM
So when there was nothing wrong with it the first time, but just that vigilantes were "out to kill someone else's thread", how are we supposed to have an idea on what to change if it doesnt say???

Better than a 90% Chance you are emphatically professing you are in Compliance with the Posting Rules when in Fact you are not.

Posting Rules:Welcome Newbies
RULE BREAKING!!!!
Forum Rules - General
Forum Rules - Specific
Forum Posting Guidelines
Terms of Service/User Agreement
Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rule Violations - Report Thread

There is no Feedback as to what happens to your Thread, there won't be any Feedback - EVER !!!!

Allow Reality to sink in !!! ---> Frequently Asked Questions

All your remaining Queries are answered within the Links below:

Related Links:

Forums: How to make a New Thread
Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value
Forums: False Reporting & Report Thread Abuse
Forums: Redundant Threads
 techgirl27
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 6:38:52 AM
Actually its a 0% chance because I dont do any of those things listed. Besides I dont lie. I'm not that stupid. Here's an example. There were other NFL team threads going as well as an "NFL 2007" type thread. I started a Patriots thread. Guess what? It got deleted as redundant! What a load of BS! Just others online at that moment didnt want another team thread, and one that wasn't theirs. Guess what? I reposted the exact same text, moments later, and its now a healthy 11+ page thread. What does that tell you? (I only know the reason because I saw the vote come up)

Oh and FYI I searched prior to posting for a topic on the current Pats season and nothing came up.

One thing I have learned is its about perception. You can post the exact same post with lots of !! and it will get deleted just beacuse some overactive users who still have a delete button dont like the look of it. Repost with just normal punctuation and identical text, and it will stay, even though no rules were broken first time.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:24:56 PM

One thing I have learned is its about perception. You can post the exact same post with lots of !! and it will get deleted just beacuse some overactive users who still have a delete button dont like the look of it. Repost with just normal punctuation and identical text, and it will stay, even though no rules were broken first time.

Actually, posting with lots of !!!!, over-use of smilies, etc. is considered an annoying posting style, and is grounds for deletion.

But of course, as you've read the rules, you already know that...

Actually its a 0% chance because I dont do any of those things listed.

YOU don't have do anything - if a thread veers too far off-topic, erupts into a flame war, turns into a chat thread,etc, that can get it deleted through no fault of yours.

Like that Red Sox thread you've posted to, it might have been started as a discussion, but looking at YOUR posts to it, it appears to have turned into a chat thread.

See how easy it is?
 techgirl27
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:35:06 PM
Those things are true, yes I dont have to do those things. But this always happens in my instances way before any of those things ever have a chance to happen. Like by the 2nd or 3rd post.

But yes thats true those things can happen and are cause for deletion. And once again, I havent done those things (they're immature). And "annoying posting style" is subjective. You can't please everyone so therefore it can't be considered "annoying" by one person and have it be considered so by someone else who has a constant chip on their shoulder. Just beacuse that member is choosing to be a "you know what" doesnt mean that there's anything wrong with the OP's style or thread. Thats not part of code and you know that.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:53:07 PM
If you think your threads are being targeted by malicious users, your best bet is to take Yaya's advice in Post 4:

When in question, contact a moderator and have them approve the thread for you.

Deleted threads are just part of life on the forums, I'm afraid.

The best thing anyone can do is LEARN the posting rules to help become a responsible forum user, and hope everyone else does the same.

...And the FAQ is as good place as any to start.
 Deceased~
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/21/2007 7:01:26 PM

I was suprised to see that you joined two years ago, and asking these questions.

For what it is worth, I have only been here a month and I have discovered that the Sasquatch couple seem to be so knowledgeable they might as well be mods. If either of them tell ya something, you can take it to the bank.
 techgirl27
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2007 4:24:09 PM
Oh its something I've been wondering about for a while, I just never strolled over this way in the forums really. I'd done everything by email up to this point.

Bottom line is there are "haters" out there who are either jealous or out to put someone down, who have their groupees out to delete people.

I have reported two people for forum abuse surrounding slanderous posts and suspect deletions.

Like I said, I just repost, most of the time exact carbon copy, or with a couple of word/spacing modifications, and get the topic rolling. I dont give a you know what about those losers and could care less what they think. Like I said, I dont post outside the guidelines, never had any reason to, wouldn't want to, and haven't. I carefully check my threads and responses before I put any of them up. What a lot of users are wanting to know is real answers, not carbon copy cookie cutter script FAQ replies.
 techgirl27
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2007 5:13:34 PM
I thought of an easier way to ask or get to the point.. what is the follow up when keeping within the rules isnt enough to keep from deletions? I'm sure I"m not the only one wondeirng this.
 slysterling
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/22/2007 7:50:38 PM

There's a whole lot of censorship,lieing and Bull shit from the moderators...

Ewww, nasty. Care to elaborate further on that thought while you're here?

It's just annoying for all the members.

Blanket sweeping statements like these should seldom be used. The word "all" includes folks like me that aren't annoyed, and with over a hundred thousand memebers on PoF, i'm wondering when you had the time to survey 'all' the members. I know i missed the questionnaire. So there goes your hypothesis out the window.

Deleted threads will oftentimes be a bone of contention here. Like it, lump it, or take it down the road and dump it...them's the rules..
Hope that helps.

techgirl27
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2007 8:15:28 PM
His main point is if someone doesnt like a topic thread or title, to skip over it. No one's making them pay attention to it. Thats why we have different forums and threads.

There's the mods (you guys, who have a big job to do always) and then there's the pretend or the wannabees (self proclaimed forum police) that basically mess it up for the rest of us. Although you're not entirely innocent either :) .
 slysterling
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/22/2007 8:45:12 PM
""Although you're not entirely innocent either ""
Actually i have no idea still how to delete a thread...That little window at the bottom of the OP's post doesn't come up for me for some reason although i will admit there's been a few i would have liked to have seen deleted.so I am innocent of that charge. thanks for the false accusation though..

And i do agree that if you don't like the thread don't read it, but hey, i don't make the rules. i watched a really good thread this morning almost get deleted for gawd only knows why, but it eventually staved off elimination.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/22/2007 9:30:18 PM
what is the follow up when keeping within the rules isnt enough to keep from deletions? I'm sure I"m not the only one wondeirng this.

What I am wondering about is why you continue to ask the same questions that have already been answered above. I don't post Links just to amuse myself.

That's what I was thining. What constitutes as a redundant Thread or question ?

Clarified here:Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value
Forums: Redundant Threads
Forums: Why not get rid of old Threads?

Obviously depends on the openmindedness of the individual.

As "Open-minded" as the Police is to your Arguments about your Right to Speed.

There's a whole lot of censorship,lieing and Bull shit from the moderators and other members who just can't stand Freedom of Speach and Democracy.

A Touch of Reality:Forums: Restorations of the Forums

Rather disheartening when clueless Trolls spew such Nonsense when we spend Tens of Hours weekly to assist POF Members understand the Site and resolve their Problems for them.

lieing and Bull shit from the moderators

We have a 1-Step Cure for Libel.

They have this long vague list of posting rules.

Read, understand and apply. Otherwise ship out.
 techgirl27
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2007 5:43:55 AM
Because those replies dont answer the question. I guess you're not getting the message and think that drumming in FAQ quotes is going to make everything right and all injustice go away. You like to assume that the user's always wrong, and thats not the case here, or what I am referring to.

I do want to say thanks for keeping this thread open. FAQ pastes just dont' cut it. Apparently someone realizes that its just not that simple.,

false accusation huh? Thats what I'm talking about, that attitude that no one else can do anything right. The sentence I typed made a reference to the attitudes of wannabee forum police, and you just demonstrated that you do in fact exhibit that same attitude, so nope, no false accusation there.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/23/2007 11:21:59 AM
Because those replies dont answer the question.

REEEEEEEEALLYY...??

They certainly answered EVERY query you made - YOU can't seem to comprehend that NO-ONE has the time or inclination to baby-sit and/or take you by the hand to explain how your "100% correct" posts are in fact, grounds for a posting ban, from YOUR chat in the afore-mentioned REDSOX thread, to your Forum Protest here.

Those links explain to anyone with basic comprehension why things happen here the way that they do.

Does This answer your question?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/23/2007 11:33:20 AM
I guess you're not getting the message and think that drumming in FAQ quotes is going to make everything right and all injustice go away.

There is no Injustice, only Users who cannot be bothered to read and apply the Answers already posted.

Apparently someone realizes that its just not that simple.

It is that simple, but appears far more complicated when you don't read to Infos and consequently don't know what to do.

FAQ pastes just dont' cut it.

And you wonder why your Threads are being deleted.

Answered provided, you don't read them as issued in the various FAQs, Directives and Moderator Posts, but seek Non-FAQ Answers, as if I have something up my Sleeve only reserved for those who have had their Threads voted off.

Under normal Circumstances, I would close a Thread such as this, as your Question has been answered a Zillion Times before.

If your are looking for Remedies, but can't be bothered to read and apply the Data, but continue to whine about the Userbase and Moderators, then I'll just chalk this up as just another 'Troll Job' not worth anyone's Time to respond to.

Bottom line, the moderators work their butts off and I dont think they should be burdened with a lot bigger workload because people just cant bother to READ the rules or too rude to follow them.

In Fact its not possible unless it becomes a Pay-Site.

By the Time Moderators field 'Back & Fro' Arguments, other Submissions a Poster would like to make to beef up his Case why his Thread should not have been deleted, we have for all Intents and Purposes, exactly what we have on this Thread: 25 Posts which was already completely answered in 1.

OP: Since you don't seem to like reading Links, I assume you prefer I waste your Screen Space to tell you the samething.

How about showing a specific list so that people would be able to get some ideas if they want to start a new thread and not waste time writing thoughts and inputs (and the participants as well) in one and only to be deleted in the end?

That List is called the Thread Search Feature. That's what Moderators use.
If we can't find an existing Thread on the same Topic as the one you have made, then your Thread stays.

Related Links:Thread Search Instructions

Not all Threads are deleted because of Redundancy.

Reasons for Thread Deletions:Frequently Asked Questions
Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value

If your Threads keep getting deleted, even though you have done careful and meticulous Searches for Redundancy beforehand, and were unable to find a Thread on a very similar or identical Topic, then E-Mail any of the Moderators for a Resolution:

1.E-Mail your "Opening Post" along with the Subject Header for a Redundancy Evaluation.

2.We will then conduct a Search, and if no similar or identical Thread Topic is found, give you the "Green Light" to go ahead and make the Thread.

3.Then make your Thread.

4.E-Mail us to have your Thread "Set Off" and all User Voting cancelled.

5.A Moderator will then edit the Subject Line of your Thread something on the Order of "Valid Topic", "OK Topic", etc. using colored HTML Tags to prevent Forgeries.

However, this is no Guarantee that your Thread will not be deleted.

It just won't be deleted for Redundancy.

Should the Topic of the Thread become hijacked, excessive Chatting take place, Flame Wars ensue, and the Thread would not be salvageable in any reasonable Framework of Time, or anything else referred to in the Frequently Asked Questions Thread, a Moderator may delete the Thread.

Thus it becomes your Responsibility to know and abide by the Forum Rules and Forum Posting Guidelines and file Reports on those Forum Posters whose Posting Habits may lead to the Deletion of the Thread.

File such Reports here:Forum Rule Violations - Report Thread

In this Manner, there is no Reason why your Thread shouldn't last until Time immemorial.
 lonelynlooking15701
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/2/2007 3:14:55 PM
I have replied to MANY well thought out threads that were ON topic, not self pity, or troll posts just to have the thread deleted for no apparent reason...perhaps you people SHOULD pay more attention who is voting to delete, as this feature seems to be being badly abused. Why should I waste my time trying to help someone when they will never see the answer due to overactive self appointed forum police?

Just about ready to give up on this site
 Ticketoride
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/2/2007 3:59:43 PM
Why should I waste my time trying to help someone when they will never see the answer due to overactive self appointed forum police?

Then do something
about it:

Forums: No Vote to Delete a Thread
Alternately, report any Posting Violations so the Thread does not become deleted, or don't post until the Voting Process is over.
 Deceased~
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/2/2007 5:34:12 PM

I think if a thread is deleted we should at least get the reason "which is posted when you vote" as part of the message we recieve.

I think anyone who expects an answer for every deletion should be the people who volunteer to do that work. They should constantly monitor the forums and read every message posted and be able to determine exactly why each thread is deleted by privately contacting the "seven of Ten" in some way and then send a mail to the OP of the deleted thread and then take care of the discussion that follows and save every message of every thread so that if the Op whose thread is deleted can convince them that the thread should have survived, the data will be there to re-install the thread into the database.

Any volunteers?

Not a Mod
 bucsgirl
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2007 5:49:13 PM
"I think anyone who expects an answer for every deletion should be the people who volunteer to do that work. They should constantly monitor the forums and read every message posted and be able to determine exactly why each thread is deleted by privately contacting the "seven of Ten" in some way and then send a mail to the OP of the deleted thread and then take care of the discussion that follows and save every message of every thread so that if the Op whose thread is deleted can convince them that the thread should have survived, the data will be there to re-install the thread into the database."

Couldn't agree more, there are less than 10 mods and thousands of posts and new threads started every day. I've been on several forums that had paid moderators and they didn't ever send an email or give a reason for deletion. And none of those other sites had a help/suggestions thread or moderators who took their time to post long extended explanations of the rules. It was assumed a member had read the rules when they joined and clicked "I agree" meaning they agreed to abide by them. Their moderators weren't nearly as patient or tolerant as the mods here are.

Not realistic to be demanding of people who are volunteering their time so this can still be FREE.
 Djonna
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/3/2007 10:52:47 AM
I totally disagree with the choice to delete someone's. I think too many people are just out to delete threads. In addition, it is only opinion as to where I actually think someone's thread should go. We may have the opinion that a thread, which I will refer to as the one I recently posted, should be posted under broken hearts as in your opinion it should go there; but, I posted it under relationships because it was a post about a relationship that ended. It's all in how a person views that thread as to where it belongs in the forums. And, we all know we have our own opinions.

Obviously we by nature choose to like and dislike people, which also adds to whether someone chooses to delete a thread.

This is my opinion and I respect others.
 Djonna
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/3/2007 10:54:32 AM

Most threads are deleted for redundancy. Search for a related thread before you post.

If I want to post a feeling or an incident or just a topic? Lord, God and heaven above, I guess I choose not to go through 100 pages of posted threads to find out if this has been posted before. I don't have that kind of time.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Deleted Threads - Redundant Threads - Old Threads