Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is the Nature of Reality?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 olegs12
Msg: 3
What is the Nature of Reality?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Negate every statement and the argument is still cogent?
I say unfalsifiable bafflegab.
 Necro Vine
Msg: 5
What is the Nature of Reality?
Posted: 10/29/2007 7:35:12 AM
" Any culture that universalizes loses its singularity and dies. this is how it is with all those we have destroyed by forcibly assimilating them, but it is also the case with our own culture in its pretension to universality. the difference is that the other cultures died of their singularity, which is a fine death, whereas we are dying of the loss of all singularity, of the extermination of all our values, which is an ignoble death.

We think the ideal destination of any value is its elevation to the universal, without gauging the lethal danger that promotion represents: much rather than an elevation, it is a dilution towards the zero degree of value. In the enlightenment, universalization occured by excess, in an ascending course of progress. today it occurs by default, by a flight into the lowest common denominator. this is how it is with human rights, democracy and freedom: their expansion corresponds to their weakest definition.

the universal comes to greif in globalization. it is the triumph of single track thinking over universal thought. "

- Jean Baudrillard
 Necro Vine
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/29/2007 7:40:48 AM
Science fiction author and social commentator J. G. Ballard was asked by a group of students " what is reality? "

His response was: " Reality, is that which, even when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. "
 captain wolfe
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/19/2009 9:57:19 PM
could you make up your own reality i mean it would be real cause you made it but to everyone else you would look insane is it so wrong to dream up a better world and live in it.
 Vancer
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/20/2009 9:44:56 AM
Maybe its a room.
A crazy room!

You walk in and see tons of useless crap.
So much crap.
Disparities everywhere.

Some of them grossly eccentric.
Some of them horribly bland.
Some things compliment their surroundings.
Some are garish and antagonistic.

And this feeling is nagging at the back of your head.
There is something here. A common theme.
Permeating everything, yet so bloody frustrating to realize.
The closer you examine everything, the more you get caught up in it all.

Then you become aware of something.
The second you walked into that room, everything you did, felt and thought may have been unintentional from your perspective, but it was you becoming a part of that room, and being obligated to follow that intangible theme.

That's one ****ed up room.
 monalee1
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/20/2009 5:00:43 PM
hi... to David Pratt's response I would have to say "where did you get that idea from??"..... my own response would be that reality is every Word that proceeded out of the Mouth of God into the Spirits of devoted servants and witnesses... warmly Mona
 abelian
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/21/2009 12:56:19 PM

Do you agree with it or disagree with it?

It's a conglomeration of words that means nothing, so there is nothing with which to agree or disagree.
 Bloke_up_North
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 12:01:39 PM
reality is an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol
 Edsta
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/23/2009 10:59:12 AM
Reality = the world of phenomena.
Ultimate reality = the empty stage upon which the phenomena appears and disappears.

Another way of saying it: the river is not just the water, but also the channel through which the water flows.

Or: form is emptiness, emptiness is form.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/24/2009 1:15:46 AM
We create our own reality!
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/24/2009 1:59:28 AM
I agree that we create a lot of our own reality.
How we as individuals interpret stimulus varies greatly from person to person,and goes towards creating our own reality.

I have certainly met a few people for whom the world seemed to revolve around....lol
 bad_boy_with_a_heart
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 2:22:22 PM
We live in the matrix, our bodies merely vessels for this 3 dimensional experience
 desertrhino
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 2:51:14 PM

I cannot access that. If it sugeests that minds can somehow move physical objects without the intervention of muscles, however, then it is utter and complete bullshit anyhow.

It's "Non-Invasive Brain-Actuated Control of a Mobile Robot by Human EEG."

It requires the intervention of computers and synthetic muscle analogs.
 Edsta
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/27/2009 2:45:28 AM
Reality = the absence of delusion.

Delusion = attachment/enslavement to the activities of mind: thoughts, feelings, perceptions, sensations, etc.

The root of delusion = incorrect understanding, ignorance, identification with the mind, failure to recognize the inherent emptiness (unknowability, radical contingency, compoundedness, instability, lack of solid independent self-existence) of the mind and its unceasing flow of artifacts.
 JustDukky
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/29/2009 11:44:41 AM
I just posted something on "existence" in another thread, which, if we define "reality" to be "that which exists" seems relevant to this thread. I'd be interested to hear some opinions on the implication that perhaps "reality" only exists as one of a series of probabilities. The following was my comment:

With respect to the multiverse, the only area where I have problems with the "many worlds" version of quantum theory is in the idea of conservation of energy or momentum. I think creating an entire new universe to accomodate a quantum-positional change of a single elementary particle is (intuitively speaking) a pretty expensive proposition with respect to energy (though when dealing with infinities, all bets are off). I think I have found a workaround that makes me more intuitively comfortable though. If we consider the total energy (or essential elementary "stuff" of which the universe is composed) totals "X" (which may be finite or infinite) and that X is conserved, it seems to me that there need only be one universe, whose total "existence" is the sum of all the probabilities of permutations of its configurations. Put another way, the "existence" of any one permutation of the universe is only the PROBABILITY of existing at all. Put yet another way. Nothing exists completely, or existence itself is uncertain and only a probability.

It may feel uncomfortable, but I think somebody could make a good case for the universe not existing at all! At least, not existing in the sense that we usually think of existence (as a certainty, or probability=1).
 handihearted
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:20:11 PM
Simply...it is beautifully stated
 JustDukky
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/30/2009 2:26:49 PM
I was about to post that reality might be the wave-functions that have collapsed, but the phenomenon of quantum erasure kinda screws that one up.

Maybe it would be fairer to say that reality is the sum of all possible events, the existence of which is commensurate with their probability of occurrence.

Yeah... I like that... I think I'll stick with it.
 JustDukky
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/30/2009 5:41:44 PM

Reality is a crutch for those people who can't handle their booze and drugs.

I wish I had said that!
How come you get all the good one-liners?
 AMaryaKai
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/6/2009 10:19:44 AM
Re: Bluesman, Msg 20
[/We create our own reality!]

Concur! Realization is an individual sensation. Each of us realizes sensations and emotions independently of another (realization is independent). What one realizes in no way depends upon anothers understanding or comprehension.

That which is real is that which can be realized REGARDLESS of its actuality. Actualities that exist and are, CANNOT become realities (which are produced to the consciousness by the five senses of the five objective faculties) until they are realized.

Hmm ....
Are the five senses of the five objective faculties LIMITED by objective conditions or affected by functional conditions?

Can one DEPEND upon the actuality of their realities?

Can one DEPEND upon the interpretations of their realities?

;^)
 Vancer
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/17/2009 10:37:52 PM
Reality is waking up one day.

Then it is thinking to yourself, 'huh?'.

Then it is eagerly wanting to know your place.

Then it is quickly recognizing patterns in frequencies.

Then it is quickly recognizing patterns reference other patterns.

Then it is quickly believing patterns referenced most often, seem to have more weight.

Then it is quickly assuming "that which has the most weight, is closer to being an absolute".

Then it becomes nothing but torturing ourselves with beliefs that culture conflict.

Then all hell breaks lose, and it becomes increasingly difficult to see patterns.

Then life seems to feel like it's slowly wearing us down into submission.

Then everything starts to feel like it is more and more irrational.

Then it is seeing how often the irrational is being referenced.

Then it is stumbling across 2 major irrational frequencies.

Then it is learning they are both actually reciprocal.

Then it is making the irrational, rational again.

Then it is accepting simply being relative.

Then it is thinking to yourself, 'yes'.

Then it is going back to sleep.

Ideoform
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 10:58:17 PM
I like Simone Weil's idea of creation:

God creates by an act of self-delimitation--in other words, because God is conceived as a kind of utter fullness, a perfect being, no creature could exist except where God is not. Thus creation occurres only when God withdraws in part.

This is an original kenosis preceding the corrective kenosis of Christ's incarnation. We are thus born in a sort of damned position not owing to original sin as such, but because to be created at all we have to be precisely what God is not, i.e., we have to be the opposite of what is holy.

If creation is conceived this way as necessarily containing evil within itself, then there is no problem of the entrance of evil into a perfect world. Nor does this constitute a delimitation of God's omnipotence, if it is not that God could not create a perfect world, but that the act which we refer towards by saying "create" in its very essence implies the impossibility of perfection.

However, this notion of the necessity of evil does not mean that we are simply, originally, and continually doomed; on the contrary, Evil is the form which God's mercy takes in this world. Evil, and its consequence, affliction, serve the role of driving us out of ourselves and towards God. The extreme affliction which overtakes human beings does not create human misery, it merely reveals it.

More specifically, affliction drives us to "decreation," which is not death, but rather closer to "extinction" (nirvana) in the Buddhist tradition--the willed dissolution of the subjective ego in attaining realization of the true nature of the universe.

--------------------^^^^Simone Weil------------- vvvvvv Me

To me, this makes reality like a sculpture that God makes by chipping away everything that is not a "thing" and leaving the rest to become some-thing.

The original universe is no-thing. The wholeness and unity that is called holy.

Reality is the All-One becoming outward into infinitely many.

As one of the many, we may only witness this as the infinitely-many surrounding us, no matter where or how we look.

We must pop out of the world, in our minds, to witness the wholeness. This is felt as a spiritual experience of holiness, yet it is as real as the world of the infinitely many.
 Vancer
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/17/2009 11:10:59 PM
Ideoform, it is funny how much of what you said has to do with my pointless fun above.

Many cultures believed their god, or gods, were the uncreated.
And some said their god, or gods, sacrificed themselves to create existence.
And then some go further, and believe it is a process of discrimination and dissolution of an infinite amount of what isn't even capable of being, that allows what existence is, to actually be.

Wrapping one's head around it is completely counterintuitive.
Because it relies on existence being wholly about frequency, and nothing more to it.
 Ideoform
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 11:24:15 PM
If you study physics, and metaphysics, you can realize that the world has no more solidity than a soap bubble......

Pop goes the world.
 Vancer
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/17/2009 11:57:48 PM
Above I should have said "Because it relies on existence being wholly about relative frequencies, and nothing more to it."
So the idea relies on there being only two absolute points of reference, zero and infinity, and they are reciprocal in some manner.
Everything else is relative. Everything is frequency.

I get the impression Ideoform, that you understand the concept.
I'm glad we bumped into each other.
 Davidartist
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/18/2009 10:07:57 AM
What's reality,

A complete and utter illusion. Atoms, crack em open, nothing inside. Which means that the 3rd dimensional space we occupy (up, down, left, right, forward) never has any interaction with any other aspect of itself on a quantum level. There is no reality because under an atom there are just strings vibrating at a constant rate which are soo small I'm not sure modern science will ever detect it. The Universe is just a Diohydrohedron 13 sided soccer ball hollagram. Nothing more then a hollagraphic manifestation reflecting upon itself. You and I are those hollagrams. The fact atoms are pretty much devoid of matter would seem to imply this concept.

It is collective because we as conscious beings manipulate the very fabric of the space we occupy. This is why there is so much destruction, harm, and atrocity facing humanity. I believe we are collectively contributing to the very nature of what makes up the existance we perceive and interact within.

Reality is a reflection of our collective nature, a very decadent, selfish, and corrupt collective brain. I theorize we are all just thoughts, or pulses within a higher collective dimensional organism. Part of the whole yet with individual aspects. This ties in with membrane theory. The whole reflectiing itself in the sum of the parts.

Look at this reality, scientists can only account for 5% of it. 95% is nothing more then dark matter, don't know what it is, why we cant detect it, or what occupies it.

What do I think, just a bunch of vibrating 3rd dimensional physicality. Consciousness is using this dense realm in order to acquire experience. This is why Buddhists and Toasist believe in re-incarnation. I think we choose to incarnate into this 3rd dimensional experience if only to learn from it. When we die, we go back to the source which is intertwining with all things. The thing is im convinced we chose to be in this place if only to experience. That's all it is, different degrees of experiencing different degrees.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is the Nature of Reality?