Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > humor  > Top 10 Things That Made Me Click **NEXT** When I Was Using Dating Sit      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AwP
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Top 10 Things That Made Me Click **NEXT** When I Was Using Dating SitesPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I totally agree with you Infiken on everything except #1, I actually think it's kinda cute, but you're dead on with the rest.
 Deceased~
Msg: 4
Top 10 Things That Made Me Click **NEXT** When I Was Using Dating Sites
Posted: 10/24/2007 11:08:22 AM
I have to disagree with the bit about the pets. That is a realistic aspect of a person's personality. If you hate cats (example only), you want to know if the woman has three of them. On the other hand, a woman who shows she has her own horse might be the sort of gal you'd be interested in. It takes a lot to feed a horse. They "eat like a horse" so she at least isn't indigent.

For me, it's birds. If a I saw a woman with a parrot on her shoulder I'd be very interested indeed.

What would make me click "next" (if I were searching) would be the profile that goes on and on about how independent and self sufficient the woman is. Why would I want to be interested in a woman who sees no need for a man in her life except as another piece of "jewelry?"
 Huggles
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/24/2007 4:42:32 PM
LOL Arugula - so true!

Or the clothes hanging out of the drawers of the dresser. The dog squatting in the corner doing his business (yes, real picture!)

I hit click when I get the pics of just the guys chest...no head, no arms or legs. Hmmm...here's my date...Da Chest.
 crispyandtender
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/9/2007 7:24:44 PM
Wearing glasses and a hat in photo(s)
Lives with parents (on Match.com)
Pictures of motorcycles, more pictures of motorcycles
Looks like he's on thorazine
Not even a hint of a smile
His profile/user name/headline are all about his favorite teams
"prefer not to say" is everywhere
"ask me" is the sole entry under "interests'
69 and other overtly sexual references are part of the username
The words "tired" "Player" and "games" appear in any combination
He has his wedding photo posted
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/14/2008 10:24:50 PM
My top ten:

1. Muscle shots--- yeah, yeah, you are an Adonis. Show me LATER, after I know you.
2. Car shots----I just don't care what you drive.
3. Tattoo shots----Simply not a turn-on for me.
4. House shots----so you are selling me on you because you have $$$
5. Two-line profiles----I want to know SOMETHING about what you like, want, or embody.
6. Ditto to the picture with another woman----aren't you basically saying I want another "her"?
7. Nascar, hunting, fishing----no problem, but I'm not into any of that.
8. Not wanting kids----I want 'em.
9. Any remarks about being affluent, successful, high level job----I prefer the modest. And why does anyone want to attract the gold-diggers? Screams shallow and not much more to offer than $.
10. When the person wants someone who can keep up with their high energy, Mountain Dew lifestyle. I prefer the contemplative.
 Smitty828282
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:35:42 PM
-listing their goal as "Long Term" yipes!!! not a commitment phobe or anything, but generally these people have tons of baggage and base their happiness on their relationships.

-the words "Make Me Happy" in any part of their headline (usually preceded by "Looking for a man to...")

- 1 liner profiles... you women think us guys are bad for it... wow, try looking for a woman in my age range, 1 out of every 5 or 6 profiles *might* be worth reading, if you're lucky enough to see more than 1 sentence there.

- any kind of major cliche out there... "long walks on the beach" ---> gag me with a spoon!

- "thug" photos... it's just bad when anybody does this... guy or girl

tons more but the OP covered a lot
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/16/2008 12:36:57 AM
No Pic/pic with another guy
Negativity
Gibberish
Too many Rules
Egocentric profiles
Indication lady has tattoos by photo or mention somewhere in file
Testimonials from men
Too many favorites
Over abundance of sexual innuendo
BBW mentioned as weight .... something about that term that I just do not like , ..though little overweight is ok or even prefer not to say.
 straykat9
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/20/2008 7:00:35 PM
Some are true, some not, If for example I see a pic. of a guy with a pet I click on it to learn more.
A person that has compassion for animals is very telling.... oh but holding a huge dead fish? not so good:(
 kornbluth
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2008 5:25:00 AM
How about the guy who "knows how to treat a woman"? If I were that certain, I doubt I'd be here.
 surferrosa
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2008 6:37:21 PM
1. Moody webcam shots (Sulking in low-def is your best side? Cheer up Goth!)

2. "Shopping" listed under Interests (What, Sainsbury's is a big day out for you? SPECIFY.)

3. Text Speak (Did you learn English on a mobile phone? You have a keyboard. Use it.)

4. "I am intelligent..." (Right, say that out loud; and listen to how stupid it sounds.)

5. Negligees/Lingerie (Do you wear clothes? Infact do you ever leave the house?)

6. LOL's (Were you really laughing out loud while describing yourself alone at the computer? Jesus...)

7. Studio shots (Yes, lovely. Reality is not airbrushed though is it?.)

8. Drugs - Prefer not to say (Look, you either Do or you Don't. All that answer spells is Denial.)

9. Pictures taken in the mirror (It's bad enough I can see you holding up your phone, but the fact you are looking at it aswell... Try to market your IQ aswell as your body.)

10. Cleavage shots (Not a problem UNTIL the bit where you complain about guys messaging you for sex. You're either incredibly thick or an attention seeker. Perhaps both.)
 dannyr0697
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2008 8:07:30 AM
Here's something I've noticed that will make me click "Next" while shaking my head in wonder:
Their profile says average or a few extra pounds and their picture shows a spare tire around their neck.

L8TR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/2/2008 4:31:05 PM
When you're reading a profile, and the interests, hopes, dreams and aspirations match yours nearly perfectly, and you scroll down, and find you couldn't respond if you wanted, lol!, 'cause you're too old, or too far away, or wrong country.

Boy! am I glad I'm dun wit dis stuff!

mypinkcadillac
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2008 1:53:49 PM
(I agree about the use of the word “women”. W-O-M-E-N is plural for woman, guys (not all of you so don’t gang up on me, I came here to breathe in some humor after some grueling reading on a couple other forums). I did see a profile photo with a chimp that was cute, and the guy wasn’t too bad either.)

1. No photo, click. But only one photo – probably click. I know, I know, at least they have one. But it has been my experience that a different angle often reveals a squished head, a third eye or a huge goiter.
2. Snake, anaconda, nobs, or variations in their screen name. Of course, same goes for 69 or XXX. Click.
3. “I don’t have any hair on my head, but plenty on my back – lol.” Ewww. Click.
4. “Must love to wear fluffy slippers.” Click, after someone performed the Heimlich – I choked on my sandwich.
5. “I like a women that take care of their selve.” Sigh. Click.
6. Separated. Click.
7. “New to the dating scene after a 20 year nightmare marriage…” Click.
8. “Lol… Lol… Smile… Smile… Lol… Smile… Lol.. Smile...” He must be really, really, really clever and funny. Click.
9. Brown teeth. Click. Missing teeth. Click. No teeth. Click.
10. “Anyone can say anything about themselves on here. And I can’t type good. Must be willing to meet without length email exchanges. It’s the only way to get to know someone.” Oh, and face-to-face equals honesty? Click.
 enginecapt
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:23:24 AM
Great analogy...OK has anybody else here seen the profile with the gal in chains?I thought that would limited to somespamsite....My God woman,what were you thinking?
 tryncatchme
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/4/2008 2:00:20 PM
Guys that post for their drinking habits "often"
Somewhere in the profile it states that they "Never hit a woman"
Guys with any dead animals in their profile
 sillious
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 9:22:21 PM
"Somewhere in the profile it states that they "Never hit a woman"
Guys with any dead animals in their profile "
I haven't seen too many guy sites. I never knew... Hilarious.

For me:
'Must love (or fear God).' I don't do either, but if you do good luck. Next!

Profiles (and I've only seen this on POF) that have more 'must not' email filters than anything positive or inviting. Especially if that person is looking for 'LONG TERM'.

Full paragraph about college football. nope!
 CherylCake
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/19/2009 7:03:03 AM
Ragman, mine smells like roses! I click next when I see no pic, what are they hiding? I just assume they are butt ugly. The car, bike & boat or plane shotz get to me. Here, date my boat. Can I take her home w/ me? The whole "look, I have stuff", instead of look at what a fine specimin of a man I am. If you want to attract guys, then show fish, boats, cars, bikes, etc. Girls like goo goo eyes & a nice smile. We're fairly simple, really. Treat us w/ respect, and you don't have to have "stuff" to impress.
 SMMB1971
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/19/2009 11:19:17 AM
profiles with no pics and the profiles where the interests, etc. boxes are filled with "will fill this in later" or "if you wanna know ask" ...come on, if you took the time to set up the account at least take the extra two minutes to add some details
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2009 1:03:03 AM

Profiles (and I've only seen this on POF) that have more 'must not' email filters than anything positive or inviting. Especially if that person is looking for 'LONG TERM'.

I'll second that. I usually look for fewer "must nots" than interests. It's a turnoff if the ratio is out of whack.

It sounds strange, but I've learned to click past "athletic" body types. Female wrestlers, shotputters and field hockey goalies are apparently in abundance on POF. If I pass up a truly lean woman like my ex, who worked out five days a week, I'll feel all right knowing that like my ex, she might just be sublimating some other hang-up like depression.
 CherylCake
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/21/2009 8:13:57 PM
No wonder she was depressed. You trivialized her illness & made fun of her attempts to create positive endorphins with exercize. I never knew all athletic women were overcompensating for depression. Thanx 4 the enlightenment, Sigmond . And remember Todays Catch is wrapped in yesterday's news.
 enszygirl44
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/26/2009 5:53:22 PM
Less then 2 roses...geesh...cyber roses?..Ya gotta be kidding me!

...lol...Check out my boobs and hairy arms...hehehe...this is fun!
 DaManley
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/29/2009 8:53:59 PM
All of those are completely true.
Especially #7.
Why do women put those? Is it too much work to cut them out of the picture?
Now of course it would be unfair to think all of this one-sided.
So yes, I know us men do the same thing. Just I don't do it...Yep.
 PAClassyLady
Msg: 46
Click.
Posted: 4/3/2009 3:56:50 PM

Have you seen the profile where the woman admits she is in a wheelchair, on oxygen, in the end stage of life and is looking for a longterm relationship?

Yup, Brews, I have heard of her. The last I heard she found a great guy here on PoF who is in love with her and told her "I don't care if you have 1 year or maybe 5 years, I want to spend them with you." Major "awww" factor! She found the true meaning of "long-term", someone who accepts her and will be there till the end. Isn't that what "long-term" means, as opposed to "dating" or "hanging out"? What a lucky lady she is.

Funny how some people post on their profile they are looking for someone "in shape" and "healthy" when that in itself is no guarantee of a long life or a good one. Vegans get cancer and get in car accidents as easily as people who "supersize" their meals. "In shape" people can also be as hard to live with as "a few extra pounds". Two of my best friends were perfectly healthy a few seconds before their accidents, one at 33 and one at 37. Another lovely lady here nearly died after 2 unexpected heart attacks last year. A while ago a famous and accomplished runner had a heart attack at 51 while running. Fires, diseases, workplace accidents, a lot of things kill. We are all dying, just some sooner or more expectedly than others. Maybe they tend to have more positive thoughts and enjoy things more than those who put things off until suddenly there are no tomorrows left.

Has this become a site of "Send us your latest physical results, stress tests and EKGs, MRIs, CAT scans, family geneology, driving record, safety rating of your car, work history and if you pass these tests we will allow you to be considered 'long-term' material"?

What makes me click "next" is people who send nasty emails if you don't get back to them fast enough (a tad needy, perhaps?). We call them Sour Grapes.

I also check people's forum postings and if they post derogatory statements about innocent people I click "next" so fast I almost sprain a finger... Just me, I suppose.

Final thought: How much more "long-term" can one offer than "till death do us part"?

LondonerDan
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 10:49:35 AM
I agree with the list. I'd include the use of generic-sounding activities such as "having fun"...are there individuals out there who hate having fun? Is having fun a deal-breaker for some?
Show ALL Forums  > humor  > Top 10 Things That Made Me Click **NEXT** When I Was Using Dating Sites