Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > What does hang out mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jlizzy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What does hang out mean? Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
What on earth does hang out mean? I really want to know! I've been burned twice by guys whom I slept with fairly quickly. They stayed in contact but I feel like they just want a friend with benefits?
Both guys were lovely and I got on really well with them but I want more than that. The last guy was from POF and had seeking: hangout on his profile...what does this mean?
 itechman63
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/1/2007 10:53:47 AM
I think when a woman says hang out on her profile, she's looking for someone to go shopping with her. When a guy says it... sex.
 jlizzy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/1/2007 11:00:35 AM
This is what I've been scared of...
The guy drops some hints about us dating so i felt it fairly safe to try the exclusive talk and he freaked out.
There was a bit of a reconciliation but at which point I received a message saying when he's back from his business trip he'll call me to hang out!

Maybe I'm going too far but even my friend agreed this message gave the impression of ahhh pet on the head, thanks for your sweet message, I'll do you a favour and call you when I'm back and we can have sex...
This is what I'm getting...trying to figure out if I'm on the right track or not
 Miss W
Msg: 4
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/1/2007 3:36:05 PM
When a guy says it... sex.

This and he doesn't want to deal with the formalities of a date, like coffee, a drink or dinner, just to cut to the chase and get free and easy sex.
 Miss W
Msg: 5
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/1/2007 10:29:31 PM
Too immature to ask you for a date, definitely interested in banging you , but far too cheap to buy/cook you a meal!

This poster put it much more eloquently than I did.

free and easy sex....? silly girl, is there really such a thing???

Oh silly me...perhaps it is an "urban legend", but there are some who are delusional enough to think so.
 svj
Msg: 6
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/2/2007 1:41:44 PM
Hola crap! Triple post!
 svj
Msg: 7
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/2/2007 1:42:16 PM
Hola crap! Triple post!
 svj
Msg: 8
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/2/2007 1:42:39 PM
I think for a woman it can mean anything from just hanging out, to serious long term relationship, to casual sex.

I've been damn near sexually assulted by a woman on the first "meeting" by a woman that claimed she wanted to "hang out". While I didn't take her up on it, it was still rather flattering.

I think in a lot of cases, it's mainly stating that she just wants to keep her options open.

If a guy comes on too strong, then she always has an "out", without having to hurt anyone's feelings.
"I'm not looking for anything like that, I'm just here to make friends and hang out."

I'm not saying that every woman posting "Hang out" does that, but a lot do, and there's no real way for a guy to tell until you start talking to each other.

Unless she has a laundry list of qualities she's looking for in the guy she wants to "hang out" with. That girl's lookin for a boyfriend.

No need to say what it means for a guy... that should be obvious.
 jlizzy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/2/2007 7:06:16 PM
Some interesting and mixed responses!! Thanks!
Well I still haven't heard from the guy..maybe he's not back from his trip abroad but his last message a week ago was "Aww that's sweet. I appreciate what you said. When I'm back I'll call you to hang out".
I'm I right or "insane" to feel like that's a bit condescending..ie I feel like he's trying to pat me on the head like a good girl and then say "it's ok..I'll do you the favour or calling you and we can have sex again". Curious what people think on this?

In the meantime to add a twist supposing somebody says in their profile that a lady must not be looking for an intimate encounter or other relationship and his profile states that he's looking for hang out..what then?
 phxnight
Msg: 10
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/3/2007 6:27:56 PM
Are there any “I am looking for” selections that DO NOT get twisted into a guy wanting to have sex with woman?

I just want to make sure I don’t select it by mistake.
 jlizzy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/4/2007 5:15:38 PM
Lol pnayplayr I googled fubu and found sportswear and "farmers used to by us" so now I have to ask what on earth Fubu means ha ha! ;)
 jlizzy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 11/4/2007 5:20:56 PM
Thanks for the resopnses well it's now monday and he still hasn't called me to hang out like he said he would..which makes me firm in the belief that he was looking for a buddy with benefit despite of his own accord asserting the opposite the last so many times we were together....

In the meantime the other guy who has hang out on his profile whom I've been emailing has suddenly stopped? I guess he's just off for a few days...

Men...
And in the meantime the guys are sighing "women"..lol
 Ave Caesar
Msg: 13
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 12/14/2007 9:12:10 AM
To me, 'Hang Out' means spending time with someone with no specific plans to do anything (such as a formal date would imply). It does not exclude sexual activity if the mood strikes both parties. Why should it?
 Ave Caesar
Msg: 14
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 12/14/2007 9:28:46 AM
"Hanging Out" is what young people without a lot of money do instead of dating.
 Finlander21
Msg: 15
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 12/14/2007 9:37:25 AM
wow! I have "hang out" on my profile, and it sure doesn't mean let's go have sex. Good grief..."hanging out" means let's go do something mutually desirable without expectations or pressure (as it relates to a relationship). It doesn't mean I'm to0 cheap to pay for a date! I'm more than happy to pay while hanging out. I just like the idea of being with someone without pressure. And for all you cynical folks out there who believe this is somehow code for casual sex...please...lets set the record straight on something. Ladies, men like sex. If we're at all into you, we want sex. It doesn't matter if you call it a "date", "hanging out", or any other term. At the end of the day, we want sex, but it never happens unless the lady gives the green light. So what are you worried about? Ladies, you hold the keys to the door...we just keep knocking until someone lets us in.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 16
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 12/16/2007 12:06:37 PM

What on earth does hang out mean

On dating sites it generally means "I wanted to pick a category so vague that it would allow me the greatest possible leeway in managing the situation and still be within the boundaries of what I described."
 swfl_dan
Msg: 17
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 1/21/2008 1:52:13 PM

There was a bit of a reconciliation but at which point I received a message saying when he's back from his business trip he'll call me to hang out!

In THIS context, as a guy, I'd be meaning "to spend time with you" - as in "go on a date".

If there's sex, fine, if not, that's OK too. If he's dropping hints about dating, it means he's thinking he'll give it a chance and see if it gets to the point he wants to be exclusive.

If he freaked out that you mentioned exclusive, it's a safe bet you aren't the only one he's dating, so you may want to make sure you're still seeing some other people as well...
 borntoski683
Msg: 18
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 5/25/2008 4:48:55 PM
it probably means something different to everyone, so don't assume your definition of the term will mean the same thing to someone else. In my mind, the word hang out is totally open ended. it could mean almost anything depending on who you're talking to and how things go. There should not be any expectations, but no limitations either really. The term is really, if you think about it, a non-commital term. If someone says "lets hang out" they are really saying, "lets spend some time together but I have no idea whatsoever what exactly I want to come out of that and I don't want to be more definite than that right now". It gives either party an easy way out if they decide they aren't into the other person, but they do'nt have to decide that issue just yet.

Going on a "date" is much more commital. And there are all sorts of friends...and sometimes friends switch to dating later....so hanging out...can mean anything and should be limited to nothing. If you specifically know you don't want to ever have sex with a guy, then make it more clear. Don't use foggy terms like "hang out". I have met girls that use the term to mean everything from "absolutely no sex ever", to 180 degrees the opposite, so don't assume the guy knows what you mean.
 nobrumski
Msg: 19
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 5/25/2008 9:47:29 PM
I think I have hang out on mine.

For me, I am definitely just looking for possible new people to hang out with and go out and do things. My friends are all married now or moved out of state so I figured I would try here since it is free.

Oops I have friends not hang out on mine.
 simpleman20188
Msg: 20
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 5/26/2008 3:49:35 PM
Does any one else see the trend.

Most guys think it involves sex.
Most gals think it doesn't.

How come this is a hard concept for so many on PoF?
 Willsniffurundies
Msg: 21
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 5/27/2008 10:22:21 PM
I don't think the term should even BE on a dating site. . .certainly not as a choice as defined by some of the women on this thread.
It's a DATING site.
Eventually. . .we are talking about having sex/making love.
Face it, it all leads to (at least) intimate encounters.
the difference is in how long you think someone is willing to WAIT for it and whether or not you ever want to spend any significant time with the other person.
We really need to be honest. No one is going to marry anyone they don't first have some type of sexual contact with first so why not discuss the TIME element?
Beyond the first date, we KNOW whether we want to get naked with someone or not!
Why not address THAT in a thread!?
 Willsniffurundies
Msg: 22
view profile
History
What does hang out mean?
Posted: 5/27/2008 10:39:13 PM
The funniest thing about this is that you can tell something about the self-esteem/character/level of materialism from some responses right on this thread.
I think it is hilarious that a woman so concerned about having money spent on he thinks that hang out is a bad thing.
While women who are more realistic, modern and more well-adjusted can even spin the term into something positive-lol!
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > What does hang out mean?