Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What do you look for on first contact      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatguy276
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What do you look for on first contactPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've found that, unlike a lot of other sites, the ladies of POF are quite particular on who they respond to. Spend some time in the forums and let some of the "veteran" POFers get to know you. Believe me it will help.
 girligirl
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What do you look for on first contact
Posted: 1/20/2008 7:06:14 PM
As others have said, include something in your message that shows you have read the profile or her answers on a forum if she’s posted any. Give some indication why you think the two of you would be a good match/ what you have in common.

In addition, ask a question about her that shows you want to get to know her better. That shows you realize you can’t know everything about her from her profile and are interested in putting in the time to get to know her. It also gives her something to respond to.

I’ve received emails from guys who send long messages about themselves and don’t ask me anything about myself. They don’t hold my interest for very long.

Some ladies still won’t respond; maybe they don’t like something about you, just as you reject all 40 and overs. That’s how the game goes. But these tips might improve your odds.

Just my $.02.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 18
What do you look for on first contact
Posted: 6/10/2008 9:02:40 AM
It's the 80/20 rule (well the one for online messaging, anyway)...regardless of gender, the person messaging will only get back about 2 for every 10 they send.

And vice versa...if you sit back and receive instead, about 2 out of every 10 you get will be someone you have interest in.

Naturally your odds are better if you do both.

Add to that the fact that men still message more than women overall, and that doesn't help.

Finally, a good profile review and some tips on messages to send might help you to find out how you can present your information better.

Good luck!
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What do you look for on first contact