Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Guns...how young is too young?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RiverGirl74
Msg: 5
Guns...how young is too young?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
6?! WAY. TOO. YOUNG! Accident waiting to happen, even with safety steps.
Crap. I first learned to shoot a gun when I was in my early 20's, and I still go the range with my dad on occasion.
All the safety in the world can be given, but the ability to comprehend it all? Nope.
 PSL nice guy
Msg: 6
Guns...how young is too young?
Posted: 11/3/2007 11:32:38 AM
as long as the adult is a responsible person supervising the child 6 is more then old enough.......... then again I have seen some adults that i am uncomfortable with them handles any guns

My oldest started at 5 years and my youngest started at 3 but did shot regularly until about five there 10 and 16 now and I even get complements on how well they handle the guns form game wardens (ok so I am a little proud :)) they slowed down when we moved to fl because it is so hard to go some where and the little one could only go to the indoor range here (go figure it is ok for him to shoot a machine gun but not a shoot gun Fl has some weird standards in m opinon0 but now they can both go to the rifle range or trap shoos with no problems of age ................ the point is the child can learn to shoot when he/she is ready but the trick is to have a responsible adult supervising them
 FraymanG
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 11:50:33 AM
JMO on this one, my daughter is currently 10. I have always practiced basic firearm safety & teach my daughter the same. Firearms are a tool, NOT a toy. A very dangerous tool in the hands of someone who cannot or will not practice basic safety. My ex too was not too happy about her shooting, but I feel it is better for my daughter to know that the tool itself not evil, but that, like any tool ,can be mis-used, with possibly fatal results. Among the things I've taught her is to NEVER to point a gun, loaded or not, in the direction of anything that was not to be destroyed. At 4 she was allowed to shoot a bb rifle whilst sitting in my lap, firearm safety was & always is discussed, before during & after any shooting. At 7 I took her to the range where she was allowed to shout a bolt action .22, again with dad supporting her, helping her hold/aim. By nine I had purchased a small frame lever action .22 for her that I keep secured at my home, that she owns, but is not available for her to 'play' with as they are not toys. I last took her to the range about a year ago, still helping hold/aim, & when not actually holding her, have never been more than an arms length away from her, she still asks to go. It will be a couple more years until I even consider letting her handle a pistol. I think with the proper attitude (on both the parent & child's part) it can be a safe, fun activity. That said, it's dangerous, possibly deadly, for ANYONE to handle firearms without the proper mindset & training. In your case, how mature is your ex in his handling of firearms?
 ManeRider
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 12:32:59 PM
Dad taught me and my brothers to handle a gun with caution, at an age of around 7-8. I'd say it was good exposure. I've never had any accident/incident with a gun, and I dont' see harm in illustrating to young people their operations, but they should be kept under lock/key to avoid tragedies. I do not own a gun, though, and would rather do without, than suffer any unfortunate consequences. A friend of mine just lost her 21 yr old son to an accident/suicide, still undetermined. Clearly, he was capable of handling a gun at his age.
 RiverGirl74
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/3/2007 5:29:18 PM

The OP is American as are the majority of posters who have said they shoot guns with their kids.
This is one example of how our Canadian and American values differ.

Look closer. This AMERICAN doesnt.
 RiverGirl74
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/3/2007 9:51:21 PM

guns are tools just like a hammer, but tools are used for construction not destruction.

I like this quote. Its very true too. I just dont see the NEED to teach a child about the workings of a gun. They are not of maturity and capacity to know its strength. When I was 22 and taking a firearms class, we shot a shotgun and tried a few ways of shooting it. The backfire on a shotgun was powerful, even I, an adult was not prepared to handle the jerking motion, and a 6 yr. old can with a berretta or magnum? When I was growing up, my dad had a few guns that he kept hidden high. I wasnt even aware of that or where they were kept until I took a firearms class in college and him and I went to the shooting range for a father/daughter bonding. I dont feel if they had educated me early on, that it would have made any difference in my use and education for guns. I didnt even start firing one until college and taking that route for employment. Yes, times are different NOW, but, who says that we HAVE to conform to them? I personally see no need for a 5,6,7 yr. old to know the proper handlings of a gun.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2007 10:30:32 PM
I think it is better to be taught a proper respect for guns than to not learn anything about them. 7 is an ok age. My brothers both got guns for their 7th or 8th birthday. Dad taught them how to care for them, use them responsibly and to be respectful of the damage they can do. I learned how to shoot at 9...I was more of a pansy than the boys tho. I would've been allowed at a younger age if I had wanted to.
Then again, both my brothers knew how to drive Dads truck by the age of 10 or 11.

I wouldn't worry over much OP.
 RiverGirl74
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/4/2007 7:49:24 AM

My brothers both got guns for their 7th or 8th birthday.

Are you kidding me?! Do they live in Iraq or something?
Im just in shock. I really have nothing to say other than that is just terribly sad. A GUN for a childs bday when most kids their age are still into playing with gi joe's. Wow.

I wouldn't worry over much OP.

Oh no OP, dont worry about it til one of them misfires, or its taken to school and there's another Colombine or Va. Tech shooting. While your at it, pass them a few condoms too. (insert rolly eye here)
 sassy_1974
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 10:50:37 AM
wow listening to some of you guys really freaks me out!

I live in the UK and no one i know has ever even considered teaching their child to use a gun for whatever reason/sport.

Guns are dangerous and kill..can you not teach your kid karate or something else?

im speechless!
 .Selena.
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/4/2007 11:29:40 AM

i won't even let my kids have toy guns! can't imagine letting them use the real thing!

Ditto. My son has NEVER had a toy gun, and he is 7 and a half yrs old. When I buy him Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles, I take the weapons away and he just uses them for playing adventures and stuff like that.
 .Selena.
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/4/2007 11:55:23 AM

But I'll bet you anything, he is still VERY fascinated with guns. You've probably even seen him and his friends using sticks, or whatever is at hand pretending they have guns.

Yes? No?

Um, no. I'm fortunate that my son is a very bright, intelligent child (in accelerated classes since he was 4 years old) and understands when Mommy says no, that means NO. He's the first one to tell me if his cousin, or whoever is here playing with him, decides to do something they know darn well they shouldn't be doing.
 .Selena.
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/4/2007 2:26:12 PM

I've seen it many times when parents do everything they can to stifle a fascination about guns and it only serves to feed the fascination. THAT, in my opinion, is far scarier than teaching kids that guns are not toys, that they can be dangerous and that they need to be handled properly.

It's not "stifling". I don't make a big deal out of it. He knows they're not toys and not for children, and that's that. I see your point though regarding parents who constantly preach to their children that guns are wrong, but my son has a million and one other toys, books, extracurricular activities and responsibilities that keep him too busy to even worry about it.
 PSL nice guy
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/4/2007 5:42:59 PM
There is another obviously noticable trend to this post , to me it shows that most US citezens are much more comfortable with the idea of teaching kids about guns instead of hoping kids don't learn on there own, but as seen in this post most places outside the us are more afraid of the idea.

We are a nation with the right to bare arms and we are CITIZENS as I notice when traveling in Europe others don't have the rights to bare arms an they are SUBJECTS .
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 7:40:56 PM

Rivergirl74:Are you kidding me?! Do they live in Iraq or something?

No, just down the street actually We grew up in a rural community where hunting is a yearly occurrence. We learned that guns are necessary to provide for our family, not to harm people. And with the wild life(mainly black bears) being well known to help themselves into our home, we needed to know how to protect ourselves and our family. Not once did my brothers or I dare to point a gun at each other or would we have ever dreamt of taking one to school.
Nor was our mother concerned that our father was teaching us proper handling and care of firearms.

Rivergirl74:....its taken to school and there's another Colombine or Va. Tech shooting

Do you seriously think that Colombine happened because they were taught gun safety at a young age?

Rivergirl74:pass them a few condoms too. (insert rolly eye here)

Are we to not teach kids proper sex ed now either, or is that just going to make them go out and get laid?
 eastbo
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/5/2007 4:32:33 AM
I live in the UK but visit Houston and Florida quite frequenly and I know for a fact that

there are laws about the age some can use a gun. I know most states have their own

laws so if I were you I'd take a ride down to your local D.As office and find out.....

Or even go see a judge and see what he says... A 7 year old should never be anywhere

near a gun......Failing that, come live in the UK....free medical, cheap car insurance,

free education and cheap cheap flights to anywhere in the world...

Jim UK
 rockondon
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2007 9:22:44 AM

eastbo: Failing that, come live in the UK....

heh heh I'm reminded of a comedian that was talking about police in the UK. If they're chasing a burglar they're like "Stop thief! Or...or...I'll ask you again to stop."

I've come across two parenting styles when it comes to guns. My dad never had a gun and made sure to keep me away from them. That style may keep the guns away but it does make one ignorant about gun safety. My friend's dad took me out shooting when I was around 8 or so. I learned a lot about gun safety that day before I even wielded the weapon - and those few times I actually hit my target he showed me the holes and asked what would have happened if those hit a person. I learned a healthy respect for firearms that day.

Personally I prefer the parenting style of teaching kids gun safety. If you tell the kids guns are bad stay away they just get more curious and want to use them secretly. And when they do, thanks to their parents, they'll be ignorant about them when they do find them.
 PSL nice guy
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/5/2007 11:33:52 AM
wantsumthinreal

haha sex...another interesting topic my ex and I don't agree on...he insists he is taking them to the bunny ranch when they turn 16 so they learn from "someone experienced" now if he is serious about that i have no clue...does it bother me.....HELL YES IT DOES. He thinks that since he is their father he can do as he pleases.

I dont have full custody I am considered the Residentual Parent and he has visitation. I dont know what I can or cannot do to stop him from any of this but plan to seek some kinda of legal advice. Maybe it will be good news but who knows.

well my X wife has basically the same custody as your X and we have been to court many many times on more serious stuff . though I don't personal believe you are right in this situation , what the judge will end up telling you is that until he (your X) actual does something that harms the child you can't do anything legally witch really sucks . My x actual tried to swipe my little one form school a few years ago to take him out of state and because they caught her and didn't let him leave the judge told me the same thing

Not sure how to responded to taking a kid to a bunny ranch to explain sex, I can say my kids grow up on a farm and there isn't a whole lot left to explain

onestplustwo

I am definitely in the minority in the US. I am a firm believer in strict gun control and don't believe handguns or assault weapons should be sold to civilians - EVER.

I never allowed toy guns, knives, or any other weapons in my home.

As far as hunting is concerned, I am not a fan of it and don't believe children should be participating in it - because there are too many accidents. And no matter how much YOUR kid knows, or YOUR father/brother/husband knows, there is the possibility the other idiot out there may not practice the safety you have taught your family.

But that's my opinion.

As far as learning about firearm safety, I believe 6 is the PERFECT age to start - simply because the possibilty exists that your child may be in a home of someone who believes having a gun in the house is protection (I do not agree) - it may NOT be locked up - it MAY be loaded - and your child should know the consequences so that he doesn't get hurt.

the problem with stick gun control is it only takes away form good people and it is naive to say the least of anyone to think that it would even slow down a criminals there going to by or steal or build assault weapons or what ever else they want and really don't give a hoot about the laws !

hunting I handled my first gun at three and been hunting pretty much all my life I understand that there are people who don't like it or agree with it and that is fine it is what the US constitution grants us as citizens. And over the years yes I can say I have seen a few people that I will not hunt around or let my kids around most of these are people who have just started handling a gun at say 21 or 45 what ever the case may be but I have seen allot more people driving cars that I would not want my kids anywhere near . my point is there is always the possibility the other idiot out there may not practice the safety no matter what you or your kids are doing and by not educating them you are adding to the problem........... I mean really think about you can kill someone with a normal ever day ink pen but you don't see people yelling for sticker "pen control" because they have been taught it is a simple tool and the proper safe way to use it
 PSL nice guy
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/5/2007 11:35:15 AM
opps the quotes thing didn't do right and I don't see a edit button, sorry ya'll
 happyboi
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/5/2007 11:47:44 AM
Ok, I am proponent of guns. I love to go out shooting, and relieve stress. I used to hunt, but it doesn't do much for me. Give me a paper or cardboard (even steel) target any day of the week. It is a lot of fun to shoot, and shoot well.

As for the OP's son. From your posts about your son, I would be a little concerned. Kids should learn how to shoot, is my FIRM belief. Not teaching them about guns, can get them in more trouble. Whether you own guns, is up to you.

But, as I was saying, you state that your son is not ready, and back it up with some very valid reasons. I would tend to go with you, on these reasons. Give your son a year or so to mature, though, it sounds like it is a ways away, and your son may gain the maturity needed.

I really don't get all the anti-gun sentiment. The majority of shootings here in the US, are perpetrated by people breaking the law. Look at the Virginia Tech shooting. You are not allowed to have guns on campus. That makes schools basically a target rich environment. It is honestly scary to me.

I grew up shooting. My dad was a hunters ed instructor, from when I was very young. I started shooting .22 rifles when I was about 5 or 6. I had guns the entire time I was growing up. I used to own all kinds of toy guns, and a bb gun, and we had a pellet rifle near our back door for shooting sparrows and starlings (they passed on diseases and lice to our chickens and other domestic birds). I have never gone out, and shot up people. If someone tried to hurt me, or those I love, I am perfectly capable of defending them or myself. It is not the law-abiding citizens you have to worry about. It is those that get the guns illegally.
 PSL nice guy
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/5/2007 1:56:53 PM
wantsumthinreal,

Ok I don't get around to those type places if I'm going to get something it will be given not bought I I defenatly agree with you that is no place to take a kid even when he gets 16 or so as said but that comment was probably more to get you twisted up then anything else. Mine did/does stuff like that allot

Honestyplustwo,

Education of any tool is better then igronace even if you never intend to use one and by educating you help prevent that curiosity that so many kids (and adults) have

I would like to present two more things tat happen with m child and see how you would explain it to him if he had been yours in that situation . First law enforcement officers are great but many times they handle a gun for the first time during training and only learn the basics of the weapons they will handle on a regular basis in situations like this we are lucky that there are other officers that are more comfortable with mutlipy weapons .

these actual happened:

1) police officers come around the corner after a shot going off ,there normal proceeder is to ask for the weapon first witch is handed over to the younger female officer who did not handle the gun safely at all did not know how to safety or unload the gun one of the other officers had to take it form her......... later as they where walking off my 8 year old at that time looked kinda confused an then asked "daddy why didn't the police man know how to handle your gun? " I did the best I could and explained the officer and probably never been educated about guns until she started working at the police dept and was unfirmluar with any other type then the dept assigned ...... point being education is important

2) We pulled back in to the boat ramp after a morning duck hunt loaded the boat on the trailer and there was about four game wardens there checking people again not uncommon . we got a younger officer again picked up the gun and handed it to him with one shell (two in the mag) so he could check it and expressed there where two in the mag he proceed to pull the chamber and loaded the gun but could not unload the weapon the older officer standing near by saw me trying to explain how to do it and walked over took the gun away form the younger officer and handed back to me then explained the younger guy was new and learning .............. again I got basically the same confused look on my younger sons face and the same question "daddy why didn't the police man know how to handle your gun? " witch I expressed the same answer I explained the officer and probably never been educated about guns until he started working as a State Game Warden and was unfirmluar with any other type of gun then the dept assigned......point being education is important
 PSL nice guy
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/7/2007 9:12:55 AM

^^^^ you get my whole point...even if his dad is safe with him..he goes to a friends house...they have a gun and bam someone gets hurt because "daddy is ok with it" !

I can understand your worry and have seen kids since moving down here that either form the area or lack of maturity are not ready to handle a gun. But if your worried about him going somewhere an playing with a gun wouldn't it be batter for him to know how to be safe and that it is not a toy? if you look at the statistics of minors involved in a shoot accident you would find that a strong majority of these are kids who just don't know any better and have never been taught gun safety
 myDestiny4me
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2007 6:19:46 AM
My son is 2 and for christmas I am buying him his first gun...granted it will be a BB gun...Try not to worry so much...learning at a young age will teach him to respect the weapon....Now by age 5 my son will get his first rifle...now if my son can prove at an earlier age that he is ready...then by all means I will get it sooner, but the use of any should always have adult supervision....as well as taking the Hunters safety course... Please just always have talks as you normally would...try not to show the negativity and that you are agianst it...it will only make him want to do it more....instead get involved...and drop educational and rational and light on the subject..you know small questions/answers in small doses where he will both learn and retain the information..like when you taught him how to cross the street, not talk to strangers, and fire safety....it's all a learning process...the more informed you both are the more confident you will feel...
 happyboi
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/8/2007 12:31:24 PM
Allcrackedup, huge difference between military training and assaulting/defending.

Most people that break into a house, do NOT have your level of training. Period. Most are desperate.

I REALLY doubt this father is buy his kid a gun, and going to give it, and ammunition to the kid, and walk away. I don't know of ANYONE that does that. Those people that I know of, that buy very young kids guns, buy .22 rifles, and bring them out, and have direct, and full supervision of the child at ALL TIMES when the child is handling the gun. When the child is not handling the gun, it is put up, and safe.

I find it funny, how the people defending this, are gun owners, and have experience. Those that are bashing it, tend to have almost no experience with firearms, and nothing to base their decisions upon, except emotions.
 beerbag
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/9/2007 3:40:15 PM
nothing wrong with target shooting, I love in our "free" society there are always groups trying to limit what "freedoms" we have because of their foolish outlooks on life.
 bigshrek
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/18/2008 12:36:57 PM
I started my little lad off with a bow at age 5. You know, the cute pack with two rubber suction cup arrows. I trained him in its use and safety...not to mention watching him like a hawk. He applied himself and got VERY accurate and VERY responible with it. At age 6 I got him a compound bow with real arrows. He did the same as before...responsible and trustworthy with them. He can take rabbits & squirrels on the move with ease. I also train him in martial arts and with a variety of chinese/japanese weapons. As always, Responsibility and Honor are key ingrediants to bringing up a child to be a responsible adult. you don't just wait until a child SHOWS responsibility, you put him/her in situations that DEMAND it and see how they react, and teach them proper behavior as you go...essentialy the same as military training.

He now at age 9 wants to start on airsoft...the hangup there is his mother. I have no problem with it as he has shown the proper mindset to use a tool in the way it was intended and frankly, the airsoft gun is far less dangerous than his bow & arrows. His mother, on the other hand, has not handled a rifle since Army Boot Camp and is rather fearful of them still...

Be that as it may, by bringing up the boy with knives, bows, and responsibility means that he is far less likely to pull a Dylon Clebold than someone who has not had the experience in being responsible with weapons. In years to come I'll train him in the proper use of firearms along with his grandfather's training (retired Marine Scout) and the very fact that he will know that if he ever does anything out of step with a firearm he will have to worry more about Me & Grandpa nailing his @$$ to the wall from 1000 yards out than he will about police. The US legal system means justice MIGHT be meted out by the Gov't...on the other hand he KNOWS that me & Grandpa are a couple of mean old bastiches that will most definitely hunt him down like a rabid hound if he steps across the lines.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Guns...how young is too young?