Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > what would u ask admin for if u could?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yayawhatever
Msg: 3
view profile
History
what would u ask admin for if u could?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Do you have a suggestion? Something you think would be cool on the site, but are not sure if it would fly.

Post your suggestion here.

There is no guarantee that suggestions will ever become features, but it is appropriate to have a place to post your ideas.

Lets hear em! or ummm.. read em!

Ticketoride
Msg: 5
what would u ask admin for if u could?
Posted: 11/7/2007 2:46:31 PM
A New World Order, more Fiat Money on loan to Gov'ts, full 'Take-Over' and Control of Tax Collection Agencies, and like the Privately owned Bank of Canada or the American Federal Reserve, to create Money "Out of Thin Air" ...

And of Course 2 Passes to 'Googlemania' ...
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 22
Just a Suggestion: what would u ask admin for if u could?
Posted: 11/8/2007 12:34:03 AM
...how 'bout 2 free emails to someone who's filter list you are outside of? Lots of people don't understand those filters are totally restrictive. So, twice in a month, if you started to send an email and it said you were outside of their mask, you could opt to use one of your free passes.

What would be the point of giving users their CHOICE of contact restrictions if someone they DON'T want to be contacted by, could contact them anyway?

People understand how restrictive the filters are, that's WHY they chose them in the first place!

YOUR desire to contact someone DOES NOT override their CHOICE of by whom they wish to be contacted.

Stop allowing posts to threads after the OP has dropped their account. Amazing how many old threads get resurrected. Just close them from further activity.

Also, kill off threads that haven't been touched for 1 year. Nobody really goes back and searches for redundant topics.

The forums are archival, Valid threads do not get deleted.

…And anybody who DOESN'T go back and search for redundant topics has only themself to blame if their thread gets deleted.

Off Topic forum is running this same topic! They have same requests thus far, and new ones

…Speaking of redundant threads…

You should go read the posting rules OP.

Nested forum thread response chains...such as:

- Orig
---First Resp
------Resp 1 to First Resp
------Resp 2 to First Resp
---Second Resp
---Third Resp
------Resp 1 to Third Resp
------Resp 2 to Third Resp
------Resp 3 to Third Resp
------Resp 4 to Third Resp

Hard enough for most threads to stay on topic as it is, what you're suggesting looks like a written game of Chinese Whispers.

My request of Admin would be test all users on the TOS, and forum posting rules, before allowing them to post on the forums.

(As all the "waa-waa-waa" threads prove, there are too many users who can't be bothered to read what is expected of them.)

…Then all we would have left would the 'Nice Guy' threads.

Party pooper! ~ You didn't even ask for something! tsk tsk~ YaYa ~
 yayawhatever
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2007 5:57:57 AM
YaYa's list of things she wants but doesn't expect to ever get:

1. The ability to change the id of the user in my inbox to their actual first name.
2. An archive feature that will allow me to click and point my messages from here to a word doc on my computer and immediately remove all messages from/to the selected user from my inbox/sent box.
3. More emoticons! The banana should be brown by now!

4. Laundry that does itself.. wait.. Ticket already denied that one.. sigh..
5. A splash screen that screams "Wake up! Have some coffee!!!"
6. A fish on a hook sliding up the screen and out of the water into the boat upon time out.

7.Sorry to the folks above.. but the eradication of the IM system. Has it ever worked properly or been anything less than completely annoying?

8. A history of id's any given user has used before with the same email address. That way I could find out what my first id was. It kills me that I can't remember.. and it would be helpful for other reasons as well..
9. The ability to block the IP of an abusive user from ever mailing you again. No more creating new profiles to terrorize.

10. Did I mention the self operating laundry? and the coffee?

That was fun.. even if the answer is no.. well.. brainstorming is still fun!
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/8/2007 11:54:08 AM
Party pooper! ~ You didn't even ask for something! tsk tsk~ YaYa ~

...Dangerous precident when YOU missed this:

My request of Admin would be test all users on the TOS, and forum posting rules, before allowing them to post on the forums.

It's O.K., I know you work too hard!

(Tell the truth, you blanked out when you saw my post ending with 'Nice Guy Threads', didn't ya? )

~ Well thats not a fun suggestion! Party Pooper! ~ YaYa ~
 Ticketoride
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/8/2007 12:30:22 PM

Along with a Track Record and designated Assignment Status clearly visible to all, leading in the final Analysis to a "No Restriction" Posting Scenario.

An archive feature that will allow me to click and point my messages from here to a word doc

Word 2007 now has some rather Advanced Macros that may allow Play somewhere's within that Ball Park.

4. Laundry that does itself.. wait.. Ticket already denied that one.. sigh..

Part of the Registration Process should require if a new User could "reasonably" be expected to be banned within the first Week, and has access to, or is in Possession of a Washing Machine ...

7.Sorry to the folks above.. but the eradication of the IM system. Has it ever worked properly or been anything less than completely annoying?

Admin has stated there is nothing else out there right now that could realistically handle POF Server Traffic in the Form of an external System. Coding an In-house advanced messaging System is for all Intents & Purposes, outside the Sphere of the extant Capacity and Technical Parameters.

8. A history of id's any given user has used before with the same email address.

Forum Posters should be required to give more personal Infos as a Spam/Troll Deterance Factor.

how 'bout 2 free emails to someone who's filter list you are outside of?

And NO, there won't be any IE Gift Exemption "Get out of Jail" Coupons for X-Mas, New Year or Easter either ...

Ho Ho ..
 yayawhatever
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2007 12:48:37 PM
There was no suggestion of creating a new IM system.

The outlandish suggestion at hand was to:

Blow the IM off the face of POF to never be heard from again! Do not replace it. Just kiss it goodbye. The mail system works just fine. The IM has never been a source of anything but trouble. IMHO

Another party pooper! My brain washing.. errrrr.. brainstorming abilities are dampened now. sigh..

I need a wet rag emoticon!!!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/8/2007 6:28:03 PM
Yeah....searching through hundreds and hundreds of old threads. Heck...if that's your attitude, stop taking new threads right now.

Why now?
Because your Ship just anchored Port here?

Redundant Threads have been religiously deleted and such Posters banned for better than 2 Years in Order to permit the existing Search Engines to Function properly and meet the Criteria of what defines and constitutes a Forum, an Archive which records User Opinion and Trends.

Turn these all into moderated forums.

They already are, just look around.

Quit allowing people to talk about it and make them all go read from the annals of POF.

Hmmm ... we should start with you.

Sheeeeesssshhhh....the problem is, an old thread get's resurrected and the current flavor of it is typically so off-topic that you wonder why someone bothered...

Nonsense, you are just adding your Flavours of Twist to it.

alot of the OPie's have left the building.

So what? Thread is not based on the OP, but the Topic of the Thread.

So you end up with this wallowing mass that people don't get active in reading the entire history.

You don't have to. If your post is On-Topic, then that is all that Matters.

I'm not saying threaded forums are easy...

Are there any other Kinds?

Don't blame the users...just say (honestly) "Good Idea...hard to implement and there will be those that will have a hard time with it"...but guess what...there are those that have a hard time with lack of continuity in the current framework.

We just Ban you if you have shown yourself incapable of posting alongside the Crowd which posts by the Rules and Guidelines.

The thing is...those posting here "get it"...beating us up of TOS and Posting Rules isn't productive. We're just trying to offer some ideas for the Virtual WhiteBoard.

You think after more than a Decade of professional Moderation in some of the very largest and renouned Forums in the World there is something "You know" that has completely evaded us?

Sounds more like you are too lazy to read the Rules.

In the meantime...it's still a good site.

There is no meantime ...
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/8/2007 7:13:23 PM
Your thread does indeed ask what we would ask of the Admin - and we're discussing the possibilties and the merits of various suggestions.

RE...2 free emails. OK...three PRACTICAL examples
1. You notice someone's posts in the forums and want to discuss something with them offline. But let's say they're the same sex...and they have a filter for only the opposite sex. It really wouldn't be much effort such that when POF detected an attempt to email them, instead of doing a straight denial they created a wrapper around the original email notifying the user that they have received an email from somone outside of their filter criteria. Let them opt to accept it or mark Delete without Reading.

They already have the option to RECEIVE it in the first place.

*YOU* might like to discuss some-one's forum posts, but there are too many people who would find their inbox full of 'wrappered' contacts protesting their contact restrictions and other 'undesired' messages.

2. The distance thing is goofy. It's done from the Postal Center of one Zip Code (in the U.S.) to the Postal Center of another Zip Code. Therefore, when someone has "within 75 miles, it is possible for me to live at the eastern edge of my zip code and her to live at the western edge of hers, and only be 50 miles apart...but POF prevents that. Of course, they could also be 100 miles, but the system really doesn't have enough info to know. And 75 miles in many parts of North America is nothing.

And yet, most North Americans have a very good idea how far 25, 50, and 100 miles are relevant to them.

3. Her profile says 40-53. I turned 54 last week...and she hasn't updated her profile in many months. And in fact, what she meant was 5 years less than me and 8 years older...that way it would track with her age. But still...outside the range by a day and "Toooooo Baaaaad".

…And if it tracked with her age, you could STILL be outside her range by a day.

If you happen to be 8 years and week older than her - "Toooooo Baaaaad".

Happy Belated Birthday, BTW.

And the reality is...and I know this from doing hundreds of profile reviews...98% of the users don't understand how restrictive those are. A lot seem to think they're advertised ideas, not hard and fast limits.

AMAZING conclusion!

I have also done hundreds of profile reviews...My Sweetie, THOUSANDS.

Neither of us can recall a single review requester thinking that their contact restrictions were advertised ideas - They knew DAMM well those are hard and fast limits.

I can only conclude either you are imposing your view as fact, or else people have gotten a lot more stupid since my reviewing days.

Turn these all into moderated forums.

These ARE all moderated forums!

Quit allowing people to talk about it and make them all go read from the annals of POF.

They CAN talk about it!

It's just prefered they do it in any one of the existing threads rather than start another.

If everyone just started a new thread, we would have 10,000 "Does size matter?" threads on the forums instead of the dozens we have already.

The thing is...those posting here "get it"...beating us up of TOS and Posting Rules isn't productive.

Thing is, most of us here do indeed 'get it'.

There are a lot of users who feel the TOS and Posting Rules don't apply to them.

*They* are exempt.

*They* are special

"They" are the very ones who scream the loudest about infractions that directly target them.

Don't like TOS , Posting Rules, and moderated forums?

Try Usenet.

Anarchy online.

Don't blame the users...just say (honestly) "Good Idea...hard to implement and there will be those that will have a hard time with it"...

Good ideas have been and are acknowledged, as have less than good ideas…
 Ticketoride
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/8/2007 11:52:08 PM
I would like to see specially placed electrodes manditory for all members
then when they break the rules a moderator could just shock them into following the rules

USB driven Pre-fontal Electro-Convulsive Plates to be attached to the Lobes and when yet another "Redundant Thought" enters the Brain, the User's Eyeballs pop out by a few Inches, and won't retract until Forum Rules & Guidelines have been Brain downloaded and re-implanted ...
 Ticketoride
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/9/2007 12:05:58 PM
You could beat them with a stick...and as Ticket suggested.. withhold activation of the account until a TOS and posting rules quiz is answered successfully.

Different Level Tests could be drawn up, such as Basic Ones for Beginners.

First 3 Days can post without any Restrictions in the Local Forums only. Access to Globals would be a Privilege subject to Testing.

A 15 minute Read, Multiple Choice, a Variation of Tests, no Questions ever the same from Test to Test. You fail the first, wait 3 Days to take it again. You fail again, you wait 10 Days this Time, etc. (This would only deal with basic On-Topic, Chat, Spam, etc. to get the Poster oriented what's going on in these Forums. The basic "Do's" and "Don'ts".)

New Users would be restricted to certain Forums only to begin with, cannot make any new Threads.

After so many Posts under their Belt, plus a 10 - 14 Day Posting History, no Forum Bans received, a "Bronze" Level a slightly more advanced Test could be issued, and when passed, full Forum Posting Privileges, can make 3 Threads per Week, 200 Character Limit Restriction, 25 Posts a Day.

"Silver" Level, 3 Months Posting Status, so many Posts, no more than 1 Forum Ban, 50 Character Limit, 1 Thread per Day, 50 Posts a Day. Each Ban, add 50 more required Characters along with Time-Out for 1 - 3 months, add 1 more Month before Application for next Level can be made.

"Gold" Status, 1 Year, so many Posts, 13 Character Min. Requirement, 100 Posts a day, up to 3 Threads per Day. Each level has even more advanced Tests.

"Platinum" Status 2 Years, so many Posts, 13 Character Min. Requirement, no Thread or Posting Limits. Supremely tough Test for this, and User must have no more than 2 Bans over the Span of that Year. A Test based on Understanding, not Regurgitation to receive "Platinum" Status. (For such Tests, we would refer one to many Threads and locate every Pity or Attention Seeking Post. Others, Troubleshooting of E-Mail, Profiles & Postings, Sequences of Actions to remedy certain Problems. There won't be a Thing this Poster won't know by the Time all has been said and done. Only they will be eligible to be potentially selected as Moderators.)

This would give many Newbies an Index who to take, and who not to take Advices from, plus those who have done the Time here would carry more Clout when making Comments on Threads to keep them on Track.

Those with "Gold" Status and above cannot be unilaterally Banned, but require Consensus of 3 Moderators. Those with "Platinum" Status, 5.

The Admin would also have to create a separate database to register those above the 'Silver' Level, in the Event a Profile is deleted.

^^^ All that would require a ton of work to do and implement, but won't be happening anytime soon. But we'd have one Heck of a Forum.

I am still liking the auto triggered redundancy filter that will nuke 'em to the Twilight Zone idea.. but Ticket tells me it won't work.

How many different Ways can something be worded that would still be redundant?
Plus you'd get Errors, no matter how advanced the technology would get.

~ Yeah! Baby! Now we're cookin with gravy!~ YaYa ~
 Deceased~
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/9/2007 5:53:42 PM

Different Level Tests could be drawn up, such as Basic Ones for Beginners.

Now that is seriously a great idea and I agree that it would definitely be beneficial. Many forums implement that by a simple level name as you are some humorous neophyte term such as "Plays with Crayons" until your posts are at the level where you get a more laudable title.

The problem is it is based only on the number of posts and anyone can write tons of irrelevant posts just to boost the level.

Once upon a time a person got a job and they were trained to do it by the company that hired them for the most part. Now, we have outside groups doing that and giving certifications.

If I asked admin for something it would be that he allowed the acceptance of certifications that went along with Ticket's parameters there and the training would be done outside POF but verifiable by POF.

That would allow a person to sign on to any internet forum and if the website wished to maintain a certain standard such as that enjoyed for the most part here on POF, then the new user could display their certification level almost like an avatar and people would be able to distinguish them as a newbie to that forum but certainly not a newbie to internet forum participation. Trolls wouldn't have a chance.

Almost like a license to post, it could not only be rescinded, a person's behavior on one website could affect their privilege to post on others as well. I wonder what affect it would have on people if say a three day banishment on POF was realized to be basically a three day banishment of posting on any of their favorite websites?

But we are dreaming, right? And Ya Ya, I will do your laundry for you any day.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/9/2007 9:19:55 PM
The problem is it is based only on the number of posts and anyone can write tons of irrelevant posts just to boost the level.

They'd become part of the Check for Eligibility.

Now, we have outside groups doing that and giving certifications.

Most such Training is unfortunately sub-standard, further it would have to geared to this specific Forum as it incl. a Dating Site as well. The Forums, Rules and Guidelines have been tailored for that. Even USENET Training, which has FAQs for each Hierarchy would not apply here; only some of their Terminology does.

If I asked admin for something it would be that he allowed the acceptance of certifications that went along with Ticket's parameters there and the training would be done outside POF but verifiable by POF.

Any which Way ...

Almost like a license to post, it could not only be rescinded, a person's behavior on one website could affect their privilege to post on others as well.

That would require extensive Organization and Corroboration.

Although all this may seem laudible, laughable at best, ie. where does some lowly sex Website get off playing Certification God so you post alongside some local Jerkoff?

Well, too many Trolls doing the rounds, getting booted out of one Forum after another, and the Doors out there are slowly being shut down. Everyone is getting tired of the policing.

Although our Rules seem to be excessive, they are but a drop in the Bucket compared to High-End Professional Forums.

Some of the FAQs on USENET Public Boards make a Curriculum in Microsoft Office appear pale in Comparison.

When you think of "Computer Graphics" Work, you think in Terms of a 1 year Course before you can do much of anything, but when they think in Terms of Forums and Posting Boards, they think its just like surfing the Web. Well, its not !!!

Some Binary Hierarchies could easily take a Year to merely learn the bare-bone Basics, 10 to get a reasonably full understanding. Here, within month of applying oneself, the worst is over.

Thanks for the Input ...
 JGoose1968
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2007 3:56:19 AM
Well, before I put my requests on the table, I'd thank Admin for this great site!

Then, I would ask for different forum software. Either phpBB or vBulletin would be great! Or maybe a different theme for this one that doesn't spread everything out to the four corners of the window. Also, a simple Next, Prev, First, and Last link, along with better/more smilies!

I would also ask for the Next, Prev, First, and Last links in all of the searches that go over three pages. I would rather click on Next/Prev/First/Last than try to remember which page I'm on and then click on the next page link.

I would also ask that just because I went to the forums, after doing stuff at the main site, that I'm not logged off of the main site, and have to log back in. And speaking of logging in, I'd also ask to be automatically logged in when I visit PoF.

And finally, while there might not be any events in Seattle/King County, I'd rather not see all the fun stuff going on in Canada, if I can't see the fun stuff going on in Portland.

Oh, and there is no need for a Mod to tell my why none of this will happen, or what rules they break, or how many times they have been discussed.
[=Not posted to serve your "needs" personally nor specifically addressed to you, but general answers to Queries and to keep the Forums on Track / Ticketoride]
Thanks for everything Admin!
 JGoose1968
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2007 4:03:59 AM
Ok, I just remembered this one, sorry!

On any of the search pages that don't show the persons info, ie Inbox, and Matches, could there be a 'hover over' pop up that shows the User ID, Age and Level of Relationship, when I 'hover over' their picture. Of course this is the same info that is put up of people without pictures.
 Celticmist
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/16/2007 9:58:00 AM
I would like to suggest separating the filters for IM and emails.

I would like to leave my email open, so anyone of any age can email as I attend a lot of events (and I don't want to add them all to my favourites)m but if I set my mail settings lower than 40's - when I log onto the site I have 10 to 20 IM boxes opening. I know I can use the blocker, but unlike email, the IM popups are in my face every time I log on.

I could block my IM but there are some people on here I want to be able to talk to.
I have no idea if this is feasible or not, it is just a suggestion
 Ticketoride
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/16/2007 2:01:58 PM
I'd like to ask the admin if we (or at least if I) could have an "extended middle-finger" emoticon to use.

Chat Smilies ... Not authorized by the Admin yet --->

could we also host public floggings

Redundant Thread Makers - Not authorized by the Admin yet --->
 bucsgirl
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/23/2007 5:33:15 PM
It might be good to have the favs list and testimonials either public or only available to other people on your favs list.

Also a dropdown for here for "forums only" and an option to have those profiles only availabe to be viewed by those who've posted in the forums or viewed by everyone.

A blank for "other" under body type for those who wish to post their weight or give a brief descriptor.
 a12004h
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/23/2007 5:43:57 PM
A couple of "Does not want" drop downs in the advance search screen.

I waste lots of time looking at profiles that say, must not have xxx,

Must not be xxx, must not what ever.

I will talk to almost anyone.

If I don't fit their wants in their profiles description, I am wasting time and bandwidth.

Such as does not want smokers,
married,
children under 18,
emailed someone for sex,

A way to make it a two way query, what you are looking for and what they are NOT looking for.

PS great site.

Such as does not want smokers,
married,
children under 18,
emailed someone for sex,

That already exists, some in a slightly varied Form, on both the 'Mail Setting' and "Search" Ends.

In Searches, you cannot currently eliminate those who have sought Sex or those looking for Intimate Encounters. So far, its purely a Contact Restriction.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/17/2007 3:57:39 PM
^^^ That's a good one.
 UK Edge
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/1/2008 12:17:04 PM
Two things are important:

1. The ability to sort on two options out of a criteria at once. e.g. more than one ethnicity at once.

2. The ability to sort by education. The University thing is novel but there should be an option to selct profiles with a certain level of education (or above - or see point 1.).
I went to school in England so the university thing doesn't really work for me and anyway it doesn't appear in most searches. I don't care where you went to school, but would prefer to date soemone that went somewhere, or at least be able to search by it.
 JohnSchlick
Msg: 117
a way to track contact activity on the users profile.
Posted: 1/2/2008 2:52:45 PM
as I look at a profile, show me if I've looked at the user before. Show me if I have IM'd the user (and made contact or not), and show me if I have messaged the user before. This might stop me from messaging someone more than once and annoying them.
 JohnSchlick
Msg: 118
mark a profile as uninteresting, and not see it again.
Posted: 1/2/2008 2:55:26 PM
not quite like blocking a user. In the process of searching profiles, I'd like to be able to mark a profile that I've looked at and decided not to look at it again, and then just NEVER have that profile showed to me again. They can contact me, I'm not blocking them, I just don't ever want that profile to come up in any search.
 Deceased~
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/3/2008 1:32:46 AM

(4) an obvious and direct way to find a moderator, like a "Moderator" button on the home page. If there is one, it's not "obvious" and "direct".

That is already in place. The information for newbies says that you should put all the moderators on your favorites list. That way, you can go there and scroll down and find the moderator who is presently logged in and contact them. You can find any moderator that way and the "Forum Moderator" profile (shared by them all) will always be at the very bottom of your favorites page because that account rarely is on-line so it is easily accessed by the "End" button on your keyboard when on that page of favorites.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 127
Posted: 1/4/2008 5:06:24 AM

It may be "already in place", but due respect, it is neither "obvious" nor "direct". E.g. how do u find all the moderators in the first place, to put them on your favorites list?

It's found in the 'Welcome Newbies' pinned post here:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts70399.aspx

The FAQ found at the top of every forum have the link, but I agree it could be more obvious and direct.

We see time and time again a LOT of people don't bother even look, so something marked 'Know your Mods' or similar may be a good idea.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > what would u ask admin for if u could?