Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why Do Women Care when a Man dates a Younger Woman.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 A-New-Beginning
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why Do Women Care when a Man dates a Younger Woman.Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
You know not to turn up the heat but for some reason this seems to be an instant sore subject to some women. If a man sees a guy with a woman thats younger we either don't care or we just say well good for him, but this seems to bend some women all out of shape why is that?
 cncgandolf
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why Do Women Care when a Man dates a Younger Woman.
Posted: 11/11/2007 9:27:27 AM
I'll be more precise about it. Do some checking. How many male profiles will only accept women younger than they are ... with a broad range of younger .... and excluding women only slightly younger, the same or older than them vs the women's profiles that range from only somewhat younger to older? Old age bias that still irks some women.

I do appreciate that you did say "some" and didn't dump us all in the same bucket. Here are my reflections

1. Age bias above contains assumptions that feel like uncomfy judgements that younger is better. I don't like be written off just due to my year of birth. How do you feel when someone discounts you because of something outside your control which isn't really reflective of who you are? Look at the number of profiles of over 50's who have some comment that they are much younger than their age. Defensive about age.

2. It reduces the potential number of fishies. grins. Hey, age bias is only one reason that the possiblities are reduced. Ya ever heard a woman complain that the best guys are gay or priests?
 cookinggal111
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/11/2007 10:17:07 AM
I could care less if a man dates younger women. If both people are happy, then that is the only thing that matters. I generally date younger men so I would be a hypocrite if I did complain about men dating younger women.
 cuteazabutton
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2007 10:38:14 AM
Well it doesnt bother me in one bit if an older man dates a younger woman because im dating a guy who is 13 yrs younger than me . So all the more to ya if u think u have something in common with her then go for it. Noone said there was an age limit that u can date unless its under the age limit such as "Jailbate" But if both parties are adults and are happy then so be it.

JMO
Nicole
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/11/2007 10:47:41 AM
Why do you care what women care about men dating younger women?

If a man sees a guy with a woman thats younger we either don't care or we just say well good for him,

You obviously have never been a woman in a relationship with a younger man, but I am a woman who has been in such a relationship. If you think men don't care, you are VERY much mistaken. I had a man tell me the other night that such a relationship is "gross." Other men have said that only a younger man seeking a sugar-mama or a mother figure would be with an older woman.

Not all men say that, just as not ALL women are guilty of what you accuse them.

Enough said.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/11/2007 2:24:42 PM

OP, women get bent out of shape when they see a man dating younger for the same reason men get bent out of shape when a woman dates younger. insecurity.

just do a thread search on the subject of older women who date younger men...there are a couple threads kicking around the forums on just that topic. there are a several very vocal men in their late 30s, 40s and older who seem very bitter and bent out of shape over the issue.

this topic, on both sides of the gender equation, has been beaten to death. both men and women just need to get over it already!

Exactly. When it should be a win win. If older men date younger women, then it frees up all the younger men for the older women. Everyone's happy.

That's the way it is online.
Everyone is looking for younger.
Men admit it, women don't.

I like em younger. I admit it. So much for that theory.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/11/2007 4:03:41 PM

Except those younger men may be into even younger women! :P

And THOSE women might be looking for older (or younger) men. Point being, there's someone for everyone, right?
 cncgandolf
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2007 5:59:46 PM
"Now if the man was 65 and the g/f was 20, "

My daughter and daughter-in-law are both a few years older then their guys. For both of them I think it is a personality issue and fills a need in them. Both couples are happy, I stay out of it.

I refused to date a friend for a decade because he was 14 years younger than me. I finally dated him - for a seven year relationship. He was at a different stage in his life than I am at. I'm happy to have grandchildren and he is still thinking of maybe having a child. The maturity difference did end up making the difference.

So, if the age difference doesn't reflect an unworkable maturity or life path difference, than it is that couple's business. If either is under 18, it is abusive. Wait as friends till they pass 18 ... longer if they haven't matured yet. Just cause the law set a date doesn't mean they have matured enough yet. Don't go earlier, but do consider waiting even longer.
 junipermoon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2007 7:46:12 PM
sorry...i can't summon up enough energy to give a rat's *ss who dates whom.
 ffryan
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2007 7:19:35 AM
My uncle used to tell me that all women secretly hate each other. And he said that he was never wrong! lol. Some folks could probably stand to lighten up a bit. These boards are here for fun... or am I making that up?
 junipermoon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2007 9:39:43 AM
i actually never gave it much thought until i read this thread.

but the more i think about it, the more i think every old coot hooked up with a 20-year-old clown is one less codger i need to worry about. if it gets the 20-somethings off public assistance all the better.
 junipermoon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2007 2:09:31 PM

Since men don't complain about all the "bad boys" that women seem to love dating

guess that explains all the 'nice guy' threads. they're all imaginary.
 junipermoon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2007 2:31:58 PM

These days there are just as many "HOT" 21 year olds also with kids, have ex-boyfriends....and haven't finished college AND looking for a good man...the "good man" is HER FUTURE. Just look around you.

bingo.

as i stated earlier, i now look at the 20-something clowns attached to the aging romeos. they're far savvier than my generation was. they know how to manipulate the system.
if they don't already have the manditory 3.5 kids by 3.5 different men, then they sure do want an an attractive, established male to sire offspring that he will most assuredly end up supporting financially. she's set for life.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/13/2007 7:08:09 AM

women are haters

As long as people make sweeping, untrue, and unfair statements like this, the world will continue to have racism, ageism, homophobia, and the plethora of other ills plaguing humanity.

The person who wrote this is a hater, and projects that quality on other people.

How sad. I would certainly "hate" (oh, I am a woman, by nature of my sex, a hater) to live in this person's mind. What a horrid place to even consider being.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/13/2007 8:11:38 AM

Compare with ...
"Some (or many) women tend to hate because ..."
"As long as some (or many, etc) people ...."

Also compare with:
"I hate all generalisations and sweeping statements"

If I had said "As long as ALL people make . . . " then it would be a gross generalization, but I didn't write that. The very clear inference is there that it is SOME people who make such generalizations. Sorry if your reading skills are lacking--you argue semantics when the point you try to make is moot.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/13/2007 3:54:25 PM

hat is NOT the same as "As long as SOME people ..." or "As long as there are people".
That is NOT semantics calling them, ex post facto, so will not make them semantincs.

But you are attacking my linguistic skills!

Again, you argue semantics and again, the point you are making is moot. Is English your first language?
 mizbex
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/14/2007 3:13:44 AM
Really? Who cares. If a man wants to date a woman who is significantly younger than him, have at it. However, there is a growing trend in this country of older women dating younger men, last year I dated a man who was 8 years my junior and you know we had the best time. The difference with dating younger men is this, they appreciate a woman who can take care of herself and are not threatened by what standing she may have in life, financial or otherwise. So gentleman, feel free to date whoever you like, but I do not want to hear a peep out of you when women follow suit.
 Baber.
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2007 10:53:18 AM
I dated an 18 year old at the age of 26, that's a good eight year difference !

But I had absolutely no regrets. She was a great match...great kisser, more mature than a lot of girls I've been with, and fabulous in bed!

Baber.
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2007 11:05:37 AM
And oh yes, one night we were kissing in my car, and out of the blue some guy starts knockin on my window, completely steamed... wanting me to get out.

I was like, and she was like.. WTF? What the hell does this guy want? After givin him a look of "WTF do you want buddy?" .. he's like instructing me to get out of the car.

It didn't even occur to me that perhaps he was pissed off seeing our age difference.. heck I didn't make it an issue... but even if I did perceive that.... a couple of things need to be said.

1) No one has the rigth to instruct anyone not to see anyone of any age if the two people are consenting. "You can be a 14 year girl and sleep with whatever man you want! (that's the legal age in Canada by the way for those that don't know)", except of course if he's in a position of power /authority over you. In that case it can be argued that the man has coerced the young girl abusing his authority. But then again if no foul play is introduced and the two people are happy and excited about being with one another, no one has a right to say anything.. not the state, not a stranger, and not even you!

2) Second, even if my father, brother, best friends, or anyone signficant for that matter showed up at my window instead .. i still wouldn't have given a shit. So who the flying **** is this stranger think he is?

3) Third, if I had gotten out of the car, got into a brawl and if either one of us turned into pulp beating on another (and the police had arrived... the police would see it as assault from the stranger's part

4) the police did actually catch us some later night, parked behind a grocery store, having fun.. tottaly but naked... lol.. they asked our ages, laughed it off.. and let us go..

So what was I to do then and there...
Fight or flight?

Seeing how I was in the car with my girl, I decided to back the car up and drive off, simple. He didn't dare get in the way of my car !

From doing one of the most wonderful things in life (kissing someone you like) to doing one of the worst things in life.. (physical battery) .. go figure the choice I'd be making if I had stayed to fight.

Some people need to mind their own business and stop assuming they know better. You're not a parent to the rest of the world so sit down and behave yourself.
 fun_42
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2007 4:49:53 PM
they care for the same reason men care if we date younger men

jealousy..helloooooo
 mizbex
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/14/2007 6:14:36 PM

Well, there's that "let's not get all bent out of shape" getting bent out of shape attitude thing again.

We're actually encouraging you to do us all a favor and "follow suit" all you want, and even then some. Doing so reduces the competition -- not the serious competition, just the in-the-way, wannabe competition.

Bent out of shape? I think not. And thank you, but I don't need anyone to encourage me to date who I want, and neither should you. Consenting adults are free to date who they like. Just don't get bent out of shape if your daughter comes home with a man your age.
 mizbex
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/14/2007 6:20:39 PM

Girls 30 years younger chase after me and want to be with me because I'm more fun and intelligent than most younger men...
The girl that drove 150 miles to spend last weekend with me is 31 years younger than I am...
She has been chasing me since she was 19..

It could also be because she doesn't know any better

When I see a older woman who is still single it makes me wonder why?
I feel that older single women mostly are the players that played too long to catch a man..
Or they were married and was so imposible to live with that they couldn't keep a man..
My exwife was a lier and a cheat.. That's why she is single.. She wants me back..
This is why I date younger women...

Or perhaps she has a lot more going for herself then having to worry about settling for some guy who hasn't acheived much in his own life? You think?

Or perhaps she was married and is enjoying herself so much that she not longer wants to tie her self down with some guy like her ex husband that did have much going for himself. You think?
 mizbex
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/14/2007 6:35:37 PM

It really is quite simple.

Women have an expiration date stamped on them somewhere around the tailbone.

They really hate that they can't see that date, but they know it's likely less than the age they currently are.

Now, this is an interesting statement from someone with no picture. What I find so ammusing on this thread is some of the males who have responded very strongly, are middle aged men with less than average looks slamming older women. Now, I could just be guessing here, but those same women you are slamming are the same ones who have been turning you down for years, I think this is called...what?
 mizbex
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/14/2007 6:37:51 PM

The fellow poster said that his ex wants him back. Thus I fail to see the point or the rationale of the above statements by the other fellow poster (of post 127).

You are also failing to see there are two sides to every story, I would like to hear her side.
 TitusBreast
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/14/2007 8:12:34 PM
They're just jealous that it's not them. As if...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why Do Women Care when a Man dates a Younger Woman.