Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Why are the young people on here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JazzFan333
Msg: 3
Why are the young people on here?Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
It is simply another way to potentially meet people that you otherwise probably would have never met. There is nothing to lose by joining POF since it's free.
 cookinggal111
Msg: 26
Why are the young people on here?
Posted: 11/15/2007 9:11:04 PM
I agree with what many people have stated. A lot of young people are busy with school, their career, and other things. Some young people have kids. When I was 20-25 years old, there were plenty of times when I was busy with many different things. Even if someone isn't that busy, POF is still a different and valid option to find a date or make new friends.
 that sam i am
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/16/2007 12:03:04 AM
I guess it's cuz they are the ones who know how to use the internet.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2007 5:17:13 AM
OP I have often wondered the same thing. And no, I mean no malice towards the younger crowd. After reading through the replies though, I now understand. Today's society is much more driven with respect to time I think. And as someone else mentioned, this is the "internet" generation. A lot of jobs that are held by kids involve a computer. So kids? Thanks for sharing why you are here. The OP did just ask a general question. I have learned from it and I think that is the purpose of these forums?
 mikanala
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/5/2007 3:17:06 AM
I'm 24 and I'm on here trying to meet some people down in Sydney before I move next year. I live in a smallish country town and the guys here aren't my type and I'm over (mostly) the club scene as they are just filled with teeny-boppers these days. So being on something like this site lets me meet more of 'my kind of people' that I wouldn't get to meet unless I was on something like this.

Also you say all us 'youngings' are getting defensive, which isn't really the case if you actually read what we/they say. Saying why were here being defensive. After all it IS the question you asked. ;)

In the end it's kinda simple as were all here for the same reason. To meet people.
 Chris_1
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2007 9:02:02 AM
I agree absolutely with what most of the responses have been so far.

Being 'young' doesn't make it any easier for us to go about meeting people than it is for the older croud. Granted, we probably chum around with our mates more often in pubs and clubs than most older folks might. But that doesn't mean we automatically have the ability to make new friends any easier than the rest of the lot. And to be quite frank, while I still tend to venture into the outside world fairly often, I've grown quite tired of the riff-raff. I've met oodles of lasses at the clubs, but since when has that been the ideal place to meet anyone anyway? I should cetainly hope not, considering my past experiences. And besides, a lot of social places generally aren't good places to actually 'meet' someone outside of a very limited criteria you might have.

And to get to the point; many of you older folks didn't necessarily have the internet as a viable tool back when you were kids. And that's fine, I understand that. But you're here now, aren't you? Maybe those numbers would be much less if this was something you could have used back then. I don't know. But if this site gets at least one young person to find someone before they become old and looking for other 'alternative' methods, then I suppose it's doing it's job.
 Baber.
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2007 11:05:25 PM
Young people are here for the same reasons older people are. Or are you trying to say that plentyoffish should only have people that have limited success in finding people in real life?

I think meeting people online is a great and comfortable way of getting to know them.. Without the pretentious club environment (where people are drunk and conversation is sketchey) and in the comfort of our own homes. Plus your special someone could be anywhere in the world, not necessarily at the bar down your street.

I've met and dated/relationshiped more than six women through online means... and it's still going great! Try it sometime!
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 3:39:06 AM
Well honestly, one of the reasons I am on here is that I can be shy in public settings at first, so I personally would prefer to talk and get to know someone over the interet abit, and then take things from there. I am not into the bars, although clubs I don't mind I guesse. It's just a preference that I have to go on sites like these and just get some feedback from people and get to know alittle about them and let them get to know me alittle through here before we meet.

So thats my reason in a nutshell.
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:24:32 AM

As a working student,

Yeah same here, I work part time and am in College part time, so I find this to be the best way to go about the whole meeting people match looking endeavour.

I think one of the great things about this site, is it's free and it actually holds on to it's integrity that it started off with and it is honest and upfront with you and when it tells you it's for free, it's for free, it doesn't pull some of the stunts that some other dating sites may play by having a hidden charge in there also.
 totum_spirit
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/13/2007 10:40:18 AM
Well think about it...we all have something else going on in our lives and the time available to us to meet and talk to the opposite sex is limited. Bar scene is well just a fun place to visit but not to depend on it to find someone that "interest you". Another thing is the younger females (alot of them here now) are tired of the BS the boys give them. I wish the internet was around when I was a teen....we only had smoke signals back then!!!

Using the internet to find someone else is a great place to start but yes i agree there are some fruit cakes on line. There are a lot of guys that only have the courage to talk to a screen and evven more that are so full of it you could grow grass seeds on them!! Then there are the ones that are the catch(like ME) but so many women get so overwhelmed by the emails they get from guys that the good ones sometimes get overlooked. That is OK though because there are millions of single females for me to talk to. it will happen sooner or later I am in no rush.

then there is the things younger people can learn from thses type forums. I had no idea of what a man can do to a woman to give her great pleasure when I was young....guys do not talk like the females do on sex and dating at that age. Just think about it there is so much to learn about the human body and the human mind that takes intimacy to a new level of mind blowing pleasure. then the fact that young guys can tap into the wisdom of some forums and learn so much on becoming a better MAN not just a boy.

I love women greatest thing on earth but to bring out the feminine a male must obtain masuline traits so the female can bring out the goddess in each person. i talk to younger females and I feel so sorry for them ...the BS and the drama...damn. So I have spoken.
 Srohack
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/21/2008 9:00:54 PM
I'm mostly here for the forum, it's a good source to get insightful information on the female (And to a much lesser extent, male)psyche.
 emmyann22
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/22/2008 9:14:03 AM
I'm a single mom in school full time who just recently broke off my engagement to my son's father. I am here because I want to see who all is out there that I could possibly have a connection with. I am very self confident and have alot going on outside of the internet, but unfortunately there are plenty of weirdos out there and I would rather get to know someone on the net first before I engage in any form of contact outside of it. Maybe I'm using it as a safe haven so that I'm not put into a bad situation, but I think it is a very informed intelligent choice. Just my opinion. Take it for the 2 cents it's worth.
 DDay555
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2008 12:54:54 PM

Because of things like this?
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts9175226.aspx

creativelust
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2008 11:59:28 PM
why? cause dateing inperson sucks
do you know how hard it is for young guys like my self to find a decent girl who wont lie and cheat or just pretend to like you just to play a joke on you for their friends amusment?

randomronin
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 8:46:33 PM
Well, I don't really like to party, I don't drink or smoke {and don't want to.} I'm kind of busy, and I'd rather get to know somebody before I go get a part- time job just to support the money I'm throwing her way {in the form of dates, presents, etc.} Yeah, that doesn't sound very romantic, but right now I'm more interesting in passing my WR 121 class than having a bunch of go- nowhere relationships out on the dating scene. I didn't realize that older people, who have the money, the stability and sometimes even the free time {kids grown up and gone} had to "resort" to this.
 D.Doug
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/11/2008 11:38:57 AM
well some people here who are young like myself, act alot older then theyr age for one, for two MY personal reason is that me and my girlfriend of over a yaer just recently broke up, i lived with her for over a year with no computor and shit, so i lost touch with basically every girl i knew so, therefor i now know absolutely no girls, and i have no clue when or how to approach a a girl anywhere
 forums4me
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/11/2008 11:57:02 AM
one word : courage
 heaight
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2008 1:35:11 PM
well im onli 22 but i dont see aproblem with me being on this site simply because, i dont approach too many women in the first place, too shy initially for that... and just like older people have trouble finding someone to be with.. young people are finding trouble meeting good people too, and our generation is alittle more complicated now, so why cant we get alittle help too
and about the younger people having no lives thing that was kinda offensive, were on here just like the older people are, why cant we just like meeting ppl we KNOW we might click with first on the net?plus ud be suprised, alot of us "young people" are more mature than u think, maybe more mature than some older ppl.
 darlyngirl
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2008 6:00:10 PM
mushortgurl03
"Some of us don't have the luxary of being born gorgeous! Just remember that!"

You are gorgeous- I hope I can say this in an unoffensive way- you are beautiful but overweight- weight is something that can change- many people are thin and ugly or fat and ugly.

I consider myself average in the weight's department and average in the looks department. When I was single and 70lb heavier- I barely got a second glance from a male- my ex used to joke I clubed him over the head and dragged him back to my cave- the only way I got a man was by settling for one who treated me like crap and persuing him with little recriprocation till he realized and settled for me too. Lost the 70lb, dumped him- but had little to no experience dating- got picked up in a bar- bad results- definatelty not the relationship I was looking for. I work in a field full of women, all my friends are in their 20's, single and somewhat shy. I went to school (all girls), went home and did school work, went to the gym (I REFUSE to pick up men at the gym- I am there to work out- I don't want to have to consider if being sweaty is a turnoff). I met a great guy on here- 33 years old, but works as a carpenter- all men, and doesn't drink (no picking up in a bar)... Lots of young people lead similar lives :)
 Mosey_Burns
Msg: 124
hmmm
Posted: 2/26/2008 9:48:47 PM
Because women my age (23) tend to be after douche bags so I have to expand my seeking capabilities if I'm going to find anyone half-decent.
 Masked_Hero
Msg: 131
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:02:38 PM
18 -25 obligation free ? I guess somebody grew up with a platnium spoon in their mouth.. Cus most people I know in that age bracket are hustle'n and bust'n their ass to make ends meet while also get'n an education.. Im just outsdide that bracket at (28) I like being on the site cus i can meet people at my own pace.. I still go out with the boys and hit the clubs hit the party's all the fun stuff that comes with being young and living in a party city like Tampa, FL ... The web is just another avenue that I can use to meet people. A lot of the women I meet on here hang out at the same clubs I go to, but are the ones that are shy in the club hide'n in the backround and never get on the dance floor... This site helps shine a light on them, so I can make sure they don't get away ! LOL
 Jacobus101
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2008 10:18:20 PM
Eh, I'll admit it: I only have a select few friends, and alas, none are female. All my friends from high school have moved out of the city to more prestigious colleges. The college I go to is notorious for having no social life (you just go to class and get out).

That, and I prefer older women.
 GyM-FrEaK
Msg: 135
Posted: 3/31/2008 5:36:29 AM
i 2nd that!!! i think? hey everyone,,,im buying a round
 Mirage111
Msg: 137
Posted: 3/31/2008 10:25:07 AM
Hi there,

Im definately not young but its just another medium used to meet people like anything else. More young people definately because this is what they have grown up with.....the internet!
 MrSmileyHimself
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 10:35:20 PM
To assume that we have no obligations just because we're young is a bit inaccurate. I work 6 sometimes 7 days a week. I have course work and photo projects to finish in my spare time. I also look after my parents. My father, 72, had a minor stroke in Oct, and my mother, 66, isn't the most physically able person in the world. I get out and "live the life" when I can, but I just don't have the time to party and hook up like that. And I'm not alone in that. Most of the people I know are in a very similar boat.

Aside from the time stand point, I did my running around and I'm done with it. Around here there's a bar scene and thats about it. If I want something more than a "hook up", I have to go elsewhere.

Lack of time + Want of substance = Internet dating and social networking.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Why are the young people on here?