Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Please someone help me (BEDTIME)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 agenteightysix
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Please someone help me (BEDTIME)Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
She has to much phyiscal energy, walk her, make her tired and she will be happy to go to sleep. my son is like that untill I wear his butt out. My son can walk 10miles in one day he is only 3. Now I agree this may be a little extreme but just give her a workout and she will sleep.
 blondegreeneyedgal
Msg: 4
Please someone help me (BEDTIME)
Posted: 5/19/2005 9:36:21 AM
If shes happy I wouldnt worry about it.My daughter is like that.Sometimes they need their quiet time just like the rest of us.As for wearing them out,be careful you might actually wind them up and voila second wind kicks in lol been there ,got the t-shirt.Dont stress over it lol
 100%me
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/19/2005 5:13:09 PM
i think it's unanimous--- leave her be...

but i wouldn't keep the house totally quiet either. kids like noise. if you leave the t.v or even some music on out in another room, you may find she sleeps easier.
 jroch914
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/20/2005 8:54:54 AM
you probably already do this, but either talk to her, read to her... (in dim light), anything to make her sleepy... Maybe talk about the days events; where you have plans to go for the weekend... stroking his/her head
 dirtyrottenimbecile322000
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/21/2005 4:50:51 PM
try a sleeping pill, or some whiskey.
 widdlewun
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/24/2005 10:50:19 AM
Hi there Snowmrnng!
To be honest...you have quite good if this is in fact what you go through nightly! 11pm for some kids is just a reality...if she is staying in her room, arm her with books...if you think it is inappropriate for her to be playing....make it a ritual that reading is what happens when it tis bed time....I sing with my kids...we have a night night song...they basically put themselves to bed...if they are tired..they start the song...or they "sign" to me...we use American Sign Language to enhance communication...my girl is only 18 mos, so it really works well! Well, best of luck and enjoy your every moment! Take care of yourself and be thankful she's not at 5am girl like mine are!!!
 nixxy
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/28/2005 6:46:06 PM
try putting her to bed just a little earlier, allowing her that couple hours to talk to herself. My daughter is seven and still going to bed at 7:30, because I know if I put her to bed later, she'll just sit up and read for an hour anyway.

Also, maybe try to make more noise..heck, i cant sleep with silence. It disturbs me.
 Bianaca
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:12:47 AM
My 5 yr. old doesnt go to bed easy if I'm up and doing things in the house or outside.I think it's because he doesnt wanna miss something. If ur up when she's doing this then maybe laying down and pretending to wind down with her will make her more comfortable with falling asleep and not wanting to play.It sounds to me that what she's doind is pretty normal. But sometimes kids think of why they have to lay down if mommy or daddy isnt.

try just laying there with her or turning the tv on and laying with her for awhile and watch something together before bedtime that will bore her.It works with my son...(and a 30 min back rub or me playing with his hair) lol
 Bianaca
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/29/2005 3:51:27 PM
That sounds like a good idea but he usually has to be where I am and I have to be laying still too.And thats sorta hard to do with a 5 month old lol.I know it's a bad habit with the tv thing but it seems to do the trick and he goes to sleep pretty quick.I think its more of the closeness of us laying there and relaxing after a hectic and noise filled day.
 aumtatsat
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/29/2005 10:48:03 PM
I think I remember hearing a radio show that said there is actually a genetic difference between people who are night owls and 'morning people'... I also think it's OK to trust life... not to try to change behavior if it really is an inclination that isn't hurting anyone and ultimately works out to a matter of personal preference, but I don't know... I don't guess I'm being that helpful... but I don't think I would try to change her just because it's convenient for you. Maybe what she really needs is a later bedtime... there's my 2 cents worth... here! Have a and relax... she'll be OK!
No, wait... I always used to make chamomile tea with a little honey and maybe mint in it. If that didn't work, there's always passionflower that can be added sparingly, or hops... That's what my daughter liked when she was little, and it helped her when she couldn't sleep, as I recall... still does, actually... If you don't want to mix your own, look for some of those ingredients in a tea at your local store that has herb teas... that really will work, or at least did work for my kids... now I'm paranoid that some Dr.'s organization will have me arrested and sent to Cuba, so I'm not prescribing, or diagnosing, or anything you ought to have your Dr. do, OK? ...just tellin' ya what Granny taught me that happened to work for me...
dang it, those dept. of Homeland Security boys 'll come after me for sure now...
they been lookin' fer an excuse...
 aumtatsat
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/29/2005 11:01:45 PM
Oh, yeah, and when she got older we had a routine... I would go in, say prayers with her (I would always ask her if she wanted me to say mine out loud... the answer mostly was 'yes' and I would always ask if she wanted to say hers out loud... the answer mostly was 'no' but I told her to say 'Amen' out loud, so I would know when she finished... sometimes she would fall asleep, and I would ask quietly "have yopu finished?" She would mutter '...Amen...' and it was sooo precious!
) then, when we both had prayed, I would ask if she wanted to hear a story. The answer almost always was 'yes'. I would tell a story from a book, or one I had heard, or make one up... We did this every night for years. It was one of the best bonding times we ever shared, and I'm so grateful we did that. Even now she sometimes asks me to tuck her in (at fifteen) and i treasure that sooooo much!! Of course, quite often the stories involved people feeling very sleepy, or going into a deep pleasant sleep from which they would awaken very refreshed in the morning, or princesses facing challenges in their lives similar to the ones she herself was facing, or might face in her life... Even if it doesn't help her get to sleep, which it very well might, it makes for a feeling that you have done something wonderful as a parent... and there's a lot of satisfaction in sharing that time with a child.
 aumtatsat
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/29/2005 11:04:13 PM
you... "have you finished?" I would say...
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Please someone help me (BEDTIME)