Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is the basic needs of a human being?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ItsMargo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
What is the basic needs of a human being?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Study after study all comes down to the same results... the universal human need is for acceptance and understanding.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 13
view profile
History
What is the basic needs of a human being?
Posted: 11/27/2007 7:49:24 PM
The very basic needs are food, sleep, and shelter.

DING. DING. DING! Barenygma gets a +1. This is the right answer! If anyone doubts this, just drive down any busy city street and look at some of the unfortunate folks who have none of these things. Their souls are compromised because they lack food, shelter, sleep, and clean clothes. People can talk about love and other higher values; but those values are not even relevant to humans until the basic physical needs are met.
 diamondjoe101
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2007 8:45:32 PM
Beautifully stated. And if I may bold enough to sum up in one word;

ITIMACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is indeed the most basic need of each and every single human being.

spitfire6844
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2007 9:01:48 PM
Love doesn't matter if your stomach is growling or you're freezing in the cold. It's not really a "basic need" like the OP was asking for. I think there are many answers concerning what people WANT once their basic needs have been met: Love, intimacy, understanding, power, success, friendship, companionship, sex, etc.

But the things we need are the same for all of us, and we should never take them for granted. Remember that only 10% - 15% of people in the world go from birth to death with their "basic needs" continually met.

Confusing wants with needs is what makes a lot of people unhappier than necessary.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2007 9:42:43 AM

You must mean the "emotional needs" of humans; Maslow's Heirachy of Needs describes the other needs.

Maslow covers ALL needs of human beings - including physiological and social/emotional needs. From survive to thrive.
 Dugdom
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2007 12:44:51 PM
what we are looking for is inside of us, looking within is developmental . Its feeling the gift you are, Its captureing the moment with your hart. when you laugh from the hart it is as the first time, its timeless , ageless, priceless it is everything to us. to appreaciate life is an art. love your lover...
 OutMind
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/13/2009 6:46:33 AM
To take a crap with something good to read.
 Vannili
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2009 10:39:25 AM
The basic needs of a human being is simple to feel good with the company of others and his surroundings ,to exert his energy to his highest endeavors to the world. To attain these he has to love himself and not to rely on others, but take in charge of the fullfilment of his life.
 Racenut17
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:31:26 AM
Choice Theory teaches us that there are 5 basic needs.....
Love and Belonging
Fun and Excitement
Freedom
Survival
Power
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/18/2010 3:19:17 PM
The basic human needs are food, shelter, clothing and water. No more , no less.

In the right climate, humans do not "need" clothing. Baby monkeys will pass up food and shelter for touch. Human babies not touched, die. A little more complicated than you're positing, yes?

lateā„¢
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/18/2010 7:16:18 PM

Hmmmmm what about adults? I should get fitted for a casket.

You may want to read some Maslowe first, ...then for good measure, Leo Buscaglia.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/18/2010 8:02:08 PM
Food, water, shelter, basic community and a GENERAL source of emotional support from other human beings...who could be friends, family, an SO, co workers, neighbors, etc...but not limited to one of those things in specific.

I agree that humans need love and support. I do NOT agree that it has to come from a romantic relationship to be effective. Unless someone lives in a place where there are no other humans present for years, this won't be something that's missing.
 moraima
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2010 8:39:51 PM
"I do NOT agree that it has to come from a romantic relationship to be effective. "

I also agree that our basic needs do not have to come from a romantic relationship.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/23/2010 7:48:44 AM

Can you see yourself (today, right now as you read this) "living" without love, nurturing, and/or affection from another person??

Absolutely - though generally it's good to have community and social stimulation, direct love nurture and care aren't requirements. If they were, I'd never have survived childhood. Loving yourself is half the battle once you're an adult. When you're a baby you need it more from others, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that you're helpless. Any human who can't take care of themselves is going to require care from others to survive - that goes without saying.

How about AIR.

OXYGEN???

I agree that air, water, food, shelter, BASIC human contact and sleep are needs. The rest are luxuries and won't kill us if we don't get em. Plain and simple.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:55:46 AM
So your child doesn't "need" your love??

Children need caretakers to survive, and even in the early to mid teen years plenty of children have stepped into an adult role and lived just fine without that if they had parents who weren't there emotionally, mentally or physically. In a lot of cases there are external factors that come into play - grandparents/extended family, neighbors, teachers, social services, foster care, adoption, etc. So a child is rarely without some sort of adult supervision.

It's nice if a parent or parents love a child because it ensures a little more that child will be taken care of longer, but the child does not actually directly need love to survive.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:11:25 AM
There is a difference between "survive" and "thrive."

Agreed. This thread uses the word "need" which is basic survival. As in, you'll die if you don't get it. All else is want, or a bonus. Thriving implies there's more going on than just basic survival, and therefore isn't built on "need".

There are overall emotional needs that make human survival better and generally I agree that they should be present in a human's life. But beyond that, all else is desired/appreciated, not necessarily needed.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 71
What are the basic needs of a human being?
Posted: 4/24/2010 10:17:19 PM
At middle age..*groan* a passing command of the native language.
Curious why someone would ask on a dating site what basic human needs are. If someone doesn't know or can't properly define a need...those needs most likely will not be met here.

And not because it's a man...ehh..but I've heard it all too often, not JUST from men, that the "basic human need" BS is a reason/excuse for indiscretionary humping.

Just because a person has a sex drive (without the medical boosters..ehh) doesn't given them license to exercise that "need". It's a matter of self and impulse control, I've not only noticed (couldn't really help BUT) those individuals who have little self or impulse control are those whose lives are a trainwreck.

Yes, I've studied psychology (not as a major...who hasn't had Psych 101 in high school?) so Maslow heirarchy of needs, interesting because the majority of people are so hung up on the basics, if you even said self actualization or explained it, would be like talking to Homer Simpson....just give them a donut and tell them to zip it.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 72
What are the basic needs of a human being?
Posted: 4/25/2010 10:16:17 AM
For infants/newborns thriving and surviving is dependent on what is being offered to them in the way of nurture/love/touch, and therefore is built on "need."

Not exactly. I was saying that the love/touch thing only brings about caretaking. Since the two aren't usually separate people tend to associate them. However if an infant was born and raised with food, clothing, shelter and caretaking/protection from danger sans all the touchy feely bonding stuff - he/she would still grow and live. I should know - my sister and I are fairly good examples of it.

Bucs, I personally am hung on the basics in this thread because the word "basic" was in the overall question in the OP.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/5/2010 12:17:22 PM

No "this thread" doesn't, some posters do. And that would be far too constrained a use of the word "need".

In the title question, the OP addressed "basic need". So that's what I'm rolling with - the bare minimum.
 .dej
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2010 1:17:08 PM
Basic needs of a human being... that's not even really an open area of discussion. If anybody is curious as to the correct answer to the question, you can find it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs

Needs prioritize. We have certain physiological needs: air, food, water, sex, sleep, etc...

Once those needs are met, we have another set of needs on a higher hierarchy that we seek to fill: security, employment, shelter, etc...

Then as those needs are met, we seek to fulfill a third tier... and so on. If you knock the security of someone's needs out on a lower level, they will abandon their need to fulfill needs on a higher level until they reestablish their baser needs. Example: if you remove someone's access to water, they will abandon their concern for self-esteem or creativity until they restore their access to a vital resource to their survival.
 Vannili
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2010 7:40:44 AM
The primary basic needs of human being is food ,water and shelter....> After this been met then it goes to the second level of his human being needs-----------------------VVVVV

The basic needs for his soul is to LEARN THE MEANING OF LIFE, exerting energy toward a job , to fulfil his dream ( talent), to care and love,(raising a family,) then when he experienced all of these,he give back to the world ,what he taken ,> love/ kindness to the afflicted/poor... It could be his talent,time or money...........
Vannili
 platypus_man
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2010 9:41:11 PM
What I find to be absolutely amazing is that the so called mental health professional community totally ignores the need for physical affection. I'm not talking about sex; I'm talking about the need for physical contact with another person. I discovered it when I was about 15; that was a very long time ago. Yet today, so may people are being treated for supposedly mental health problems, but the need for affection is completely ignored. The get all kinds of medications, discussions, therapy, god forbid ECT or surgery, but no one ever touches these people. Someday this will be realized to be a completely barbaric treatment of human beings.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/12/2010 11:54:19 AM
food, water and shelter would be pretty high on your lsit if you didn't have them

I think that psychologist Dr. Abraham Maslow covered this off quite well many years ago in his "Hierarchy of Needs" ( published, 1943)

http://images.creditwritedowns.com/2009/01/800px-maslows_hierarchy_of_needssvg.png

breathing air, food, water sex come before love & affiliation, etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What is the basic needs of a human being?