Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Could you be in a relationship with a long haul truck driver?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JazzFan333
Msg: 14
Could you be in a relationship with a long haul truck driver?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The only potential problem with dating a truck driver is that some of them are away from home often. Therefore he might not have a lot of free time to do things with me. A truck driver isn't any more or less likely to cheat on his wife than an man with another job whether he is a lawyer, doctor, businessman, plumber, construction worker etc.
 Scarysair
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Could you be in a relationship with a long haul truck driver?
Posted: 12/30/2007 4:03:42 PM
My son's father has been recently been discharged from the army due to being shot in the middle east & is now working for a very well known haulage company here in England.

We have been apart for 10 years but have been getting closer & closer over the last year.

He is away for 5-6 days a week but rings my son & I several times a day, e-mails us & is available to talk to us when ever we need him. He has children with his ex-wife & devotes his days off to both them & us.

Although I am not in a relationship with him, I have to say if I were, I don't think I would have any trust issues with him whatsoever. If I were to discover that he was picking girls up in every town, not only would I not want to see him but I'd sure as hell keep him away from our son too!!

Wait....he sounds like an okay guy. What am I waiting for??!!
 mike2040
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 1:07:34 PM
Kynnie , you might want to rethink that statement. how long ago was it that you were out on the road?? Yes there are guys that screw around on their ladies, and maybe you were in a truck stop when something like that ocured. but the VAST MAJORITY are too busy trying to get food, pickup and deliver on-time . Not a whole lot of time to chase women or to have women on the side, let alone keep up with one. long hours, a revolving work window. most of the time after driving, you just wanna relax , take a shower, get some respectable food, and get some sleep.

As someone who is going into the industry, i am offended by your blanket stereotyping. This is a very rough job . yes, your are entitled to your opinion but please don't clump all of us into a group with a stereotype. just remember without us, the country stops.IF you don't believe me, count how many times you go to a retail store and there is a truck in the back. 3x a week at least ! so now imagine that no trucks are there. the store only has maybe 2-3 days tops worth of food left.,
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2008 6:55:36 PM
i don't see why anyone would have a problem with being in a relationship with an otr driver. i know that my father and mother survived a marriage and 4 kids later they're still married. when i was younger my father used to take my mother and my brothers over the road with him. he taught them how to drive a big rig and my 3 brothers now drive trucks of their own. 1 of my 3 brothers is happily married with 2 boys of his own, my middle brother is still engaged to the same girl he's been with for over 20 years (waiting on her to decided when to get married), and my older brother is still single and looking. my father retired from driving the road for good about 2 years ago.

the perks of having a relationship with a truck driver is you can always go away on vacation to another state with him and not have to pay for airfare and hotel accommodations. you also get to enjoy the scenery as well.

the down fall with the relationship would be something that a lot of people tend to lack...absolute trust in your partner to be away from them for long periods of time. you have to make sure that their heart is completely with the absent partner and not to stray off when a lot lizard goes climbing up inside the cab of the truck.

i would have loved to see the face on the woman that climbed up inside my father's truck and mom stuck her head out of the curtains...
 cowtrucker
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2008 6:13:22 PM
I understand that question completely... I have learned, that if the person is right for you, and things are meant to be, the fact that you are OTR right now, won't change their feelings for you, and the knowing that you will be regional in a few months, can be something to look forward to. I guess it just depends on what that person thinks of truck drivers in the first place... If they are open and understanding at the nature of the beast, then things will work out just fine.

It's finding the right one, that's the hard part. I recommend staying with your current carrier, until you have your awards, as those look good on resumes, and/or until you find who you think is the right one. Then, when you are ready, consider regional trucking.

In my situation, I am regional now, and know for the summer I will be OTR a lot more, and he will have to understand that, if he wants to make things work. But in this business, things can change daily, and just because I'm home today, and gone tomorrow, doesn't mean it will be the same next week.

Use this time now, if you are single, to work on your career, your dreams, and build a strong foundation for the future, so you don't have to work as hard, when you do finally find that perfect person.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 black hat
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2008 11:47:42 PM
Im sure Driving is not easy thanks to they Diesal,the politicians who have stock in the Gas company always God Bless the Soldiers,but the High prices has made some Americans rich and ,well I have always heard Diesal is easier to make,why is it more money,You get tired I bet from the stress of people stopping short,not letting you in,I have had friends that drive for miles and miles the lawas trying to make it hourly pay,It sounds with the New Scedule you will get home more then my dad did as a Sales men,depending on your company rules and if you have kids or if you can bring your spouse with you I guess that would make you feel better,I imagine the adrenline rush then sleep then coffie,it can be rough,people dont consider this Im sure,well for me,If my fiancie I just met was a Trucker and I could do the Co-driver thing,She lives in TX and I live in SC,my son lives in Boston,now I pretty sure there's Boston runs avaliable because Boston and NY are a headache I have heard,well I would pick this it would work for me because I could see my son much more,for 5hrs,mabye a day in a half if Im lucky you know if you can get back to me on this the delivery vans where you supply a Van,like Roberts express where you need no cdl,are they not worth it or are there ones to stay away from if you ever read this
 cowtrucker
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 7:17:32 PM
This would be my second post on this line. Since I originally posted, I have switched from Regional, to Over The Road... I can still find plenty of time to share my life and my happenings with someone, the only issue is that I wouldn't be home on a regular schedule, like a person who works 9-5.

Lucky for me, I do my own scheduling, so I tend to keep busy. I agree, if the driver HAS the time to waste on the road, then he/she needs a new company or dispatcher. I don't run as hard or slow as some, but I do manage my time as best as I can. I usually have plenty of time for the phone and text, and usually have internet every other night.

So now, as an OTR driver going coast to coast, if I found someone who is willing to understand what I do, and why, then I know I wouldn't have a problem with what I do and a relationship at the same time...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/29/2008 6:49:19 PM
~OT~ I could imagine it. I was married to a compulsive hunter who was gone months at a time and I'm now with an obsessive skier. He's home every night ~ but I'm very used to being all alone for extended periods of time and I certainly don't mind his being gone day after day after day. I think some of us are built to handle these absences and some simply are not. JMO
 Kat0219
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2008 8:28:59 PM
It's very possible if you find the right one. I did it.

Love is worth doing things for.

luv2lol
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 12:59:02 PM
My Dad was a long haul cross country trucker so my answer would be no if you weren't going to leave your current job for sure...but maybe yes if there was an end in sight. It sounds like you enjoy the long haul (so does my Dad) and aren't sure if you want to leave it but you should figure that out before starting something. The life of a long haul trucker's wife is not an easy one and she needs to know what she's getting into.

Since Dad was gone so much Mom was basically was a single parent. She had to take care of and do EVERYTHING alone (family/work functions, parenting, god/bad days, school events, household stuff like mowing the lawn and blowing the snow - and we live in the country with a bit of land and a fairly long laneway!!!). My Mom is the strongest woman I know and I respect her so much for living the life she did but I do not wish that for myself.

Also I wouldn't be with a LH trucker if I wanted to or had kids. We never really knew my Dad since he was gone so much. I was actually scared as a kid to go on trips with him, not because he did anything bad to me, but I didn't know him. He was the man who came home every 3-4 weeks for a few days (and slept most of that time) and then he left again. So if you add it up we maybe saw him 36-48 days out of 365. I think I went on one trip when I was 5 and not again until I was 11 or 12. That's it. We never established a relationship...to this day it's not a close one and it's taken years to get where we are. He did the best he could but there was no quality of family life. Now this was a time before log books, max's on driving hrs per day and cellphones which make the life better now.
 barbee1970
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/7/2009 4:59:39 PM
It wouldn't bother me. I would just hope you could find a woman who is trustworthy. My Dad was a trucker, but he hauled asphalt locally making parking lots.
 dolpndove
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2009 3:05:50 PM
sure! Why not? why is it, really, that someones occupation, is what may/may not make the person? Everyone is an individual, what they do to make their wages should not come into context, as long as they are well grounded, honest, forth right in the way they treat others, who cares what they do! As for distance, cheating, blah, blah blah, a cheating person is going to cheat regardless of the occupation, whose to say the person isnt going to sleep with their hairdresser, mailman, pet groomer, i think you get the idea!
 gotastory08
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/19/2009 8:16:35 AM
I was in a relationship with a man who was a car carrier. We met online actually and began a long term relationship. He gave up car hauling in the beginning but went back into it after 6 months of our relationship. Even though I went on the road with him frequently, I learned that this lifestyle that he was accustomed to led to many nights of cheating on me. He had many internet sites he was on and had many women lined up in each state that he entered. Yet unsuspecting to me in the beginning, he played it off very well. He became very good at lying and blamed over the road trucking for he inconsistencies. He said his truck broke down, he got another job from where he was at, his phone didn't get service where he was at, etc. And all along, he was with another woman. Then he would rush home to me and pretend like he missed me so much and how he was so horny. He needed a shower and then we would continue where he left off. On the road with him, he would keep his cell phone locked and on vibrate. Women would look at me at the truck stops WEIRD. I never knew why. He would say they were jealous because I am pretty and they are not. But now, I realize they looked at me like I was the flavor of the month. I loved this man despite all of this and gave him chance after chance to redeem himself and change. he never did. he is still up to his tricks but he is getting old and tired. and guess what? He is still alone and playing and preying on women. So, in the long run, it is men like this that give any descent truck drivers with good morals and values, a bad reputation. I have personally lived through it and witnessed it. I had some women contact me like he was cheating on them with me. After 5 years, enough was enough and I moved on. It is hard not to stereotype after living through it and seeing it first hand. But I am open for someone to prove me wrong!!!
 DocElffington
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 12:24:29 AM
Well, as one of them long haul truckers that serves my country and community with my sacrifices in this occupation, whom has also found a woman on here that is more incredible than I could have ever imagined...............

I am overjoyed by seeing so many positive responses here!

Truth be told...there are dogs within this industry. But they are a small minority.

I won't manufacture percentages. But I'd say that at least 3/4ths of the truckers are just decent, family men and women that are just providing for their families the best way they know how.

And also....a lot of long haul/OTR truckers are simply just new to the industry and are required to be OTR in order to get their feet wet. Ya gotta start somewhere! But that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be OTR forever. There's a lot of different avenues in the trucking industry. There's even non-traditional options for trucking families.
 sbm4fun
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 12:16:52 PM
This like all other stereotypes is based in fact, but not as true as you think..
the lot lizard thing while 30 years ago was common its not so much anymore, I used to drive a truck and the only time I saw lizzards was in those economically depressed towns when there were no jobs, and it was rare I even had a load in those towns.
 DocElffington
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2009 1:31:42 PM
Economically depressed towns??

Yeah, not from what I've seen!

Usually they are more prevalent in busy and larger cities, or near major metro areas.

Some good examples would be; Ontario, Gary/Lake Station, Oklahoma City, and pretty much every major city in Texas.

West Memphis, AR is economically depressed and you never see or hear lot lizards there. Nor can you find one in Salina, KS.

And the ones that I've seen.......

I'm surprised that these women aren't paying the men to have sex with THEM! These women hit EVERY branch when falling out of that ugly tree!
 DocElffington
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2009 8:27:59 PM

So I'm still waiting for an answer on the subject of popping the pills to keep you awake.....do you do that?

In the trucker's world, the illegal pills are referred to as "High Speed Chicken Feed".

Some DO pop them.

Personally, I haven't and never will. But you'd have to know me and my background to know WHY.

That being said, not only do I NOT pop pills.....

But my own world does not involve or include alarm clocks.

Proper trip planning will allocate enough time for rest. And sometimes you just have to turn a load down because you need rest!

Trucking is how I make my living.......not something I wanna kill myself doing!
 Chromie
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 1:26:53 PM
Honestly I think I could handle that a lot better sometimes. I'm such an independent person that I can't handle someone trying to do things for me all the time. Sometimes the help is great...other times not so great. Especially when I know I can do something myself.

Not to mention I enjoy my quiet time.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Could you be in a relationship with a long haul truck driver?