Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Trolls      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ontario_woman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
TrollsPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
In light of recent postings on this board, I thought that it would be appropriate to post this.

Internet Trolls

Copyright © 2001 by Timothy Campbell

What is a Troll?
An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.

Why Does it Matter?
Some people — particularly those who have been online for years — are not upset by trolls and consider them an inevitable hazard of using the net. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without ants."

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

Another problem is that the negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

The Internet is a wonderful resource which is breaking down barriers and stripping away prejudice. Trolls threaten our continued enjoyment of this beautiful forum for ideas.

What Can be Done about Trolls?
When you suspect that somebody is a troll, you might try responding with a polite, mild message to see if it's just somebody in a bad mood. Internet users sometimes let their passions get away from them when seated safely behind their keyboard. If you ignore their bluster and respond in a pleasant manner, they usually calm down.

However, if the person persists in being beastly, and seems to enjoy being unpleasant, the only effective position is summed up as follows:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

What Not to Do
As already stated, it is futile to try to "cure" a troll of his obsession. But perhaps you simply cannot bear the hostile environment that the troll is creating and want to go away for a while.

If you do that, then for the sake of the others on the system, please do not post a dramatic "Goodbye!" message. This convinces the troll that he is winning the battle. There is, perhaps, no message you can write on a message system that is as damaging as an announcement that you are leaving because of the hostility that the troll has kindled.

If you feel you must say something, a discreet message to the system operator (and some of the others users, if you have their email addresses) is the best course of action. Incidentally, if you are writing the letter in an agitated state, it is a good idea to wait an hour and then give it one last review before you actually send it. That might spare you the pain of saying things that you don't really mean to people you like.
 dancerwithalife
Msg: 2
Trolls
Posted: 5/20/2005 10:39:29 AM

They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Hey, quit ripping on single parents ... I mean trolls.
 Diggy03
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Trolls
Posted: 5/20/2005 10:42:16 AM
Too bad they exist. I have been labelled as one... anyway. Thanx for the info ontario_woman. Yeah they do exist... and I can think who they are....unfortunately!!!!

Anywho........
 Tigress
Msg: 5
Trolls
Posted: 6/11/2005 9:55:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I saw it written a few times and didn't really understand what a troll was.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Trolls
Posted: 6/12/2005 3:06:47 PM
^^^precisely. Just ignore them and they'll get bored and go find their fun somewhere else.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 7
Trolls
Posted: 6/16/2005 12:36:19 PM
WOW !!!

Maybe one Day it will become enshrined as a 'Treatable Psychological Illness' ... lol

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

... and report them.

What Can be Done about Trolls?

Report them! Less Interested in their 'Psychological Profile' than what they can be counted to primarily do here on the Forums:

1.) Railroading Topics
2.) Incitation of 'Flame Wars'
3.) Insulting, Bashing, etc. other Posters, not the TOPIC of a Thread.

* Troll noun, adj., verb (discussion board slang) 1. can be someone who is "trolling" for responses, the way a fisherman trolls for fish - he puts a baited hook in the water and sees how many nibbles he gets on it, often railroading the topic completely. 2. an off-topic post to see how many people he can catch responding to it. 3. Any series of messages from a poster who is set on causing conflict or provoking other posters. Also called "Troll Post or Posting".

Welcome Newbies

RULE BREAKING!!!!

Forum Rules - General

Forum Rules - Specific
 luvinlittleyellowjacket
Msg: 8
Trolls
Posted: 6/16/2005 2:31:53 PM
Trolls thrive on and need attention...
So for Cryin out loud....

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!
 robertpaulson
Msg: 9
Trolls
Posted: 6/17/2005 8:01:57 PM
Trolls are people too.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 10
Trolls
Posted: 4/24/2017 5:40:21 AM
Obviously 10ky and basilisk123 are the same person!!!!
Do a user name search, Copy and paste the names in and you can see clearly by the writing style that, they are same person.
I am LMAO and wondering how many more made up profiles this joker has got? Wonder how much trouble IT has stirred up on here? But I wonder more about, how many members IT has upset, bullied, brainwashed and made to feel miserable about themselves?
Typical troll can’t debate with only one profile can IT and has to cheat by using loads of fake profiles
You stick by IT if you want, but don’t blame me if you get manipulated into doing things you would never dream of doing and find yourself acting just like IT

Report the troll
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingposts141520.aspx
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 11
Trolls
Posted: 4/24/2017 8:05:51 AM
Yeah. Leon is talking to himself, again.

What's your beef with Basilisk? He writes NOTHING like 10ky. Oh...do your buddies from the UK forums know you're off your meds, again??? Hmmm???

I found some numbers that might be of use to you.

United Kingdom Suicide Hotlines
Hotline: +44 (0) 8457 90 90 90 (UK - local rate)
Hotline: +44 (0) 8457 90 91 92 (UK minicom)
Hotline: 1850 60 90 90 (ROI - local rate)
Hotline: 1850 60 90 91 (ROI minicom)

You're Welcome.
 mikehunt1011
Msg: 12
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 12:41:16 PM
IAM****INGCRAZY is a crazy troll for sure man. She kind of reminds me of my ex wife. If you listen to what she says you kind of get what her issue is. It boils down to she is unhappy as a person so she runs around making others as miserable as she can because she wants them to feel the same way as she does. She was unhappy when she was married so she separates from her husband. So now she is a single mom with kids and she is unhappy so she gives the kids to the husband who finds someone else and moves on happily. So she is alone and she is still unhappy so she manipulates things to demonize the husband and his new love interest and gets the kids back. She attempts to make them as miserable as she is and then the husband cuts all ties and runs for the hills because he realizes he can't be responsible for her happiness but only his own.

I have a similar story on the opposing end of the spectrum except I didn't let her have the kids back to live with a miserable shrew of a woman. Maybe her husband didn't realize the hormonal or mental issue she has until it was too late or what have you. I knew the secret to look out for in this case and for me I knew I couldn't be responsible for another human beings happiness. I could only be responsible for my own. Of course she has to make up completely unbelievable stories about the guy to justify how she ended up in her situation. I've heard them all before and of course people who know better question her about it and she becomes increasingly angry when questioned. However who wouldn't question a story that can't be true except someone who realizes their propaganda isn't working?

Just like ****ingcrazy's husband I can't even have a conversation with my ex wife because she is so out of touch with reality she tries to talk to me like sh!t and scream and yell and so on and so on. They always got to have an enemy and they always constantly have to attack that enemy. They don't know how to be civil even if it were for the sake of their own children. So I suggest if you are the target of ****ingcrazy or any other person like this just cut all communication because it just isn't worth it and move on with your life and be happy just like me and ****ingcrazy's husband.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 13
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 12:49:46 PM
mikehunt1011, Very interesting read mate and I wish I checked her posting history, because I knew nothing about her life before, but I do now...I try to keep my personal life to myself, because anything you say they will use it against you on here...some can be like vultures, waiting for a feed and they rip at the flesh when they attack...Thanks for the heads up man, much appreciated...I'm still thinking about her showing her better side to me...Do you think I should send her a poem, music video? Maybe they might bring out her better side

mikehunt1011
Msg: 14
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 1:06:51 PM
Some people are just toxic and there is nothing you can do about it except pretend they aren't even there. I had a run in with her and I just moved onto other stuff. She has no real power or control over anything around here but she likes to pretend she does let her. This place is a sh!t hole anyway. She has maturity, coping issues and is a general toxic nasty human being who will probably die alone. I really can't help but feel sorry for her. Of course I feel really sorry for her real victims her husband and her kids that are going to hurt for a long time from all the damage she causes.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 15
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 1:21:19 PM
mikehunt1011, Very sad indeed mate...I believe that Someone is reachable , no matter how bad there attitude is and it might take a long time for them to show their better side, but when they do it will be the making of them...maybe I just relish the challenge to help people find their better side? We shall see...Been cool having a nutter mate...The beers on me
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 16
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 1:38:02 PM
Speaking of trolls.

Looky there...it's Wolfman4142 aka JodiMay aka MikeHunt1011...the most misogynistic, xenophobic bigot of all the POF forums.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16595862.aspx

Funny how you think you know all about me or my life from just one thread. Here it is. Again. Just in case you need a review. It's so old it doesn't show in my history.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16595074.aspx

You don't know shit. Well...except how to cyber stalk other forum members. Maybe I'll dig that thread up later?

Awww. It's so sweet of you to re-appear to lend Leon a helping hand. The two of you seem like two peas in a pod.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 17
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 1:49:52 PM
IMayBeCrazy_But, Does it matter if someone comes back on here with a new profile? Who really cares besides you? I don't that's for sure..Stop sweating over such immaterial things..It's no big deal at all...Besides the guys user name makes me LMAO and he clearly has a sense of humour...Relax, stop showing off...I get it you are good at copying and pasting old threads, but I'm still waiting for you to show me your better side..Impress me with something special:) this might cheer you up a bit? http://www.quotery.com/lists/100-funny-quotes-worth-laughing-over/
 mikehunt1011
Msg: 18
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 3:35:33 PM
Laidbackguy she fails to mention that she is the one reporting people's profiles to get them deleted. I didn't delete any of my profiles she reported them under false pretenses because she didn't like what I had to say or my opinions on certain subjects. She gives magical powers to the word c*nt that we all know she is. She is a sorry lowlife troll with nothing better to do but follow people around and harass them. Pointless to have a conversation with her just simply ignore her like her husband does. He didn't sever all contact for no reason. You aren't going to get any truth from her because all you will get is how it was everyone else's fault. Best to ignore and move on. She won't live and let live either.
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 19
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 3:38:43 PM
No. It doesn't matter when a previous poster returns after a self-delete or ban. It matters when said posters return to continue their same line of shit or with mentions of knowing other forum users locations and real names by accessing their personal information via IP addresses or if they return to accuse other forumites of having multiple accounts to troll...just because someone got their panties in a bunch by being mistaken as someone else. I still say there's no way 10k & Basilisk are the same person.

I'm pretty sure Wolfie returned with a different username awhile ago and he's been playing in the "other topic" forums. He's anti-Trump. Lulz. I suspect he's had a run in with one of your other heroes and I'll leave it at that. Just my theory. He's a c unt so his current username suits him. Funny. He talks about how the forums are dying in the other thread...he's been here for a long time, it seems. So long he cannot recall all of his previous usernames when asked by other veteran users. He comes here to shit. Obviously. There are no moderators here. He's been banned twice (that I know of). Aaaand I've only been on the forums for four months. POF is a free for all...you gotta exhibit some pretty abusive behavior to get banned here. IMO.

Me? Showing off? Nah. Not trying too. In case you haven't figured out, yet...I'm not looking to impress you. No offense. I was simply making a point by calling you out, Leon. Know your shit before you attempt to call others out on their own.
Just saying.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 20
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 3:56:30 PM
IMayBeCrazy_But, I Would prefer if you presented indervidaul arguments and not involve me, because you seem to have a much bigger problem with mike ATM and I won't gang up on someone who does not have a prayer of winning...I'm no bully....Be good you two...BTW...I prefer one on one and not three way if you get me....wink, wink...you can smile now...try putting your energies into showing me your better side...I know you have one
 mikehunt1011
Msg: 21
Trolls
Posted: 4/25/2017 5:03:59 PM

It matters when said posters return to continue their same line of shit or with mentions of knowing other forum users locations and real names by accessing their personal information via IP addresses or if they return to accuse other forumites of having multiple accounts to troll.

Nothing wrong with knowing information. Nothing wrong with stating the fact that anyone can play the report game. Nothing wrong with stating that the methods you use to silence opinions you don't like can be used to silence you.

I'm pretty sure Wolfie returned with a different username awhile ago and he's been playing in the "other topic" forums.

Nah I only have one account at a time. I haven't been here since the last time. I'm not you.

I suspect he's had a run in with one of your other heroes and I'll leave it at that.

Right you and whomever you are speaking of are heros ummm ok. A bit grandiose of you don't you think? How does one become a forum hero exactly?

He's been banned twice (that I know of).

Being falsely reported via you is not a ban.

Me? Showing off? Nah. Not trying too. In case you haven't figured out, yet...I'm not looking to impress you. No offense. I was simply making a point by calling you out, Leon. Know your shit before you attempt to call others out on their own.

How exactly does one show off on a forum? Only way you have impressed me is your imense mental illness. Look in the mirror and call yourself out. I know your husband ran away from his own children to get away from you and I see why every time you post. I bet he would've chewed his own arm off to get away from you and I don't blame him one bit. Your a f*cking weirdo now kindly stfu eat sh!t and die already.
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 22
Trolls
Posted: 4/26/2017 6:45:59 AM
I forgot about the third time you were

NastyBastage1011

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/16595862datingPostpage10.aspx

Msg#237

Most people who make up new usernames just to post stuff to insult others, have more than one ready to go, that why the member dates are not brand new, but not always.

I haven't insulted anyone unless they insult me first usually as far as I can remember. I called out iamfkncrazy and everyone lost their minds about it. Whatever yah know? iamfkncrazy says I'm so wrong but yet she follows me everywhere now for two weeks jabbing at me every chance she gets. So must not be too far off the mark because she is still crying in a corner about it.

and some people here know your private info because of such mods, which is a big stain on this site

Well what pof and pof forum people need to understand is getting someone's ip from their posts is not that hard to do. You should always mask your ip. I found it shocking how many on here don't and how easy it was to get their real names addresses phone numbers ect ect. The issue is it's an old site with old script and hasn't been updated. The worse one is bamagrl now known as forumslady. In her initial ip search it went back through all her history on the internet even though she changed I believe from aol to something else between here and there her history popped up. Originally when she signed up as bamagrl she did it with a different email than her main and this is good but when you make an email account with your actual name in it this is bad bad bad. Now she didn't sign up to this site with her name but she did with others and that makes it way too easy for you to be discovered. I'd recommend she mask her ip right away. Even though she changed I believe from aol to something else between here and there.

I do not know how it's being done now, since supposedly we are just floating in cyber space now, but someone must be doing something because some people do seem to get banned.

Well you can email pof directly. Get about 4 or 5 people to show only the one side of the argument and 2-3 days later boom you are banned. I'm choosing to believe they didn't do this despite I suspect that they may have. Like Ouija2025 putting herself out there as the face of the banning is so stupid for the fact that she hasn't masked her ip and giving the experience missallison endured well we will see how long she lasts doing this sort of mess.

But others are behaving pretty ridiculous and seem to be staying.

Well if they are doing this sort of mess of selecting who they want to ban and who they don't they aren't the only ones that can play that game. Many other people including myself can play it better. For example my ip right now is a Canadian IP. There's a program that you can put any ip you want. So giving the system pof has in place if I put whomever I wanted to ban's ip in make a bunch of different accounts as the system thinks I'm them then all the accounts including theirs gets deleted. I'm choosing to believe the ip I started the other accounts on were already on pofs sh!t list and it had nothing to do with anybody on here. For now.

Somebody on that thread suggested that you're Good_lord Tom as well. That would explain your shitty attitude caused by "short man's syndrome" and why you enjoy your sport of playing keyboard commander.

You're wasting your time C unt. IDGAF about you or your opinions. Never have. Never will.
 Jackcrusto
Msg: 23
Trolls
Posted: 4/26/2017 9:50:13 AM

Somebody on that thread suggested that you're Good_lord Tom as well. That would explain your shitty attitude caused by "short man's syndrome" and why you enjoy your sport of playing keyboard commander.

Well if somebody said it then it's just gotta be true right?

You're wasting your time C unt. IDGAF about you or your opinions. Never have. Never will.

If you didn't care you wouldn't be responding at all just like I haven't done in the last month or 2 months. If you didn't care you wouldn't be following people everywhere every 2 seconds. It's not like I'm the only one with this complaint about you. Your the one reporting my account then complaining that my account changes. Either way I'd prefer to go somewhere else and do other things to avoid contact with you despite I was always fine to be here before you. I have enough accounts on here that if they wanted to ban me everyday for the next 40 years I could post anytime I wanted. Yet this will be my last post and all I have to say is nothing just like your husband. This is exactly how you did him. Ran him off and then complain he ran off. *poof*
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 24
Trolls
Posted: 4/26/2017 9:54:10 AM
Did you forget to log into your C unt account?

Nah I only have one account at a time. I haven't been here since the last time. I'm not you

Riiiight. Whatever you say. PsychoStalker1011 should be you next username.
 IMayBeCrazy_But
Msg: 25
Trolls
Posted: 5/31/2017 11:01:29 AM

What is the end game with this and why am I doing that and what is it I hope to accomplish? I'd doing all this to simply mindf*ck you? Jesus get a life dude.

Honestly. I suppose you're bored and have nothing better to do. Get a life? Maybe you should take your own advise.
 Jackcrusto
Msg: 26
Trolls
Posted: 5/31/2017 11:32:43 AM

Honestly. I suppose you're bored and have nothing better to do. Get a life? Maybe you should take your own advise.

That doesn't mean that I post with them all. That means you can't play moderator with me. I sat here and watched you ban people via the automated system and said f*ck that. So? I do what I want when I want and how I want and you don't control me with manipulating the POF system. Why is that such a bad thing? Have I tried to mess with you? Nope. So what is your point? What is it you hope to accomplish and why?
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Trolls