Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What your musical development?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wellread
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What your musical development?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
How much time do you have? ;-)

Born four months after the Monkees, but fortunately grew up just outside of Motown. Lots of big band jazz (Ellington, Goodman, Ella, Billie) from, well, conception. 60s and 70s pop in the car, old standards on the piano. Elvis, Beatles, J5, the Temps, Martha Reeves, Gladys Knight, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops, Mersey Beat on my cherished transitor radio.

80s, alternative, esp. jangly guitars like REM and the Connells. Late 80s ventured into country/western briefly cause the pop scene was so dire.

90s, started exploring Irish and Scottish music. Discovered the library as a source. Discovered Chris Smither. Scottish led to Breton. Friend introduced me to Scandinavian, which in turn taught me how to listen to hard rock. Friend introduced me to Marta Sebestyen and Musikas, which kicked off a spree of Hungarian, Romanian, Jewish and Romani. George Harrison died and I realized that I didn't understand enough about rock guitar, which led to old blues, British blues, Bob Dylan, etc.

2002, stopped thinking "I do/don't like this music" and replaced it with "I haven't learned how to listen to this yet." Except for insipid pointless pop.

2003, moved to Scotland, can't find a Scandinavian source, have a brilliant one for lower eastern Europe. But hey, Old Blind Dogs are practically the house band.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 6
What your musical development?
Posted: 12/4/2007 5:02:47 PM
I was born in 1970, was a teen in the 80s and reached my 20s in 1990... so I think I was alive for 3 of the best 4 decades of music.

From 1-9 or so, I was subjected to my dad's fondness for The Doobie Bros. and his Southern Fried Rock fetish. I now share the fetish as an adult. I was also subjected to a lot of Elvis and a lot of Beach Boys music.

Between the 80s and 1990 it was a mix of Punk, Hair Metal, Actual Metal and New Wave. I adored X throughout the 80s and to this day even. I was intro'd to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and the like by 82-83-ish.

I've always been partial to the loudest, most obnoxious music possible.
 Dracoa79
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 9:54:40 PM
Not that it matters when I was born, but was born in '79.

Grew up listening to nothing but would now be considered "oldies".
Mid to late 90's I started getting into 80's rock, mostly Pre-Load Metallica.
2000 to present has remained pretty much the same, though less emphasis on Metallica, and more recently (around a year, year and a half, ago) I really got into the "Dark Wave" band The Cruxshadows.
 toonsmith
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 10:37:09 PM
Ah, the kiddie neon orange record player fitted to play 45's. My dad came home with bags of 45's. I sat in my room and went through them one by one... sheer torture.

Most of them crap.

Then I found a few gems. Something called the 1910 Fruitgum Company? Psychdelic bubblegum pop. Titles like Green Tamborine, Rice is Nice..... Strange and exotic sounds swam from the tiny speaker and entered into this little boy's head....

First record that I really really had to have.... ELO - Out of the Blue. Turn to Stone was on the radio and I sang along each time I heard it. Then, late one night while trying to stay up to watch the Midnight Special and wade through all the disco crap... they play David Bowie - Heroes.

I am hooked.

I live by the record player. I make it a point to buy every record by a group that I am interested in. First, the Beatles... then, the Stones.... my development grows .

My first Led Zeppelin experience. "From the day's of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man....." I trembled when I heard the drums on that track. I have never heard anything like it before... or since. I go back to the record store to buy more. I plop vinyl treasures - Zoso and Houses of the Holy onto the counter and the cashier grins. He knows what's in store for me and he is full of envy at my musical virginity.

"You'll have a ball, kid. .... Rock On"

I progress..... I try to astral project with the Moody Blues singing Best Way To Travel... I walk the hallway with Jim Morrison singing about The End..... I visit strange new worlds with Yes, ELP, and Tangerine Dream.... and then inner worlds with Pink Floyd.

I sit in class watching the clock tick away... waiting until I can dash home and crank up Queen air guitar - Brighton Rock.

And so on it goes.... I search for THE FIX.

Electronic, Punk, Ambient, Blues, Bluegrass.... I go through The Grateful Dead and everything 40's, 50's and 60's. A highlight... hearing Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit... and instantly KNOWING there is something special happening here.

I still grow and develop... looking for that sound chaser at the gates of delirum...

My retirement home days... will rock with some pretty cool tunes. Hopefully a sponge bath by a beautiful nurse ...

to the tune of "I am Iron Man"
 kozmonaut
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2009 4:58:01 AM
grew up on canadian 80's radio.. you know, rick astley, trooper, glass tiger!! End of 80's started to like Alt. stuff Like janes addiction

Early 90's i listened to brave new waves on the CBC everynight at midnight, i loved sonicyouth, and indy rock! like erics trip, cub, sloan, triston psionic, Fugazi, the lemonheads, played in a few bands, opened for allot of cool canadian and american bands

2000's got into UK Electronica, subdued acid/mushroom jazz, late 2000's got into NYC Hiphop, soul, urban electro and catchy little diddes from all genres.

My 90's to late 2000's shaped who i was musically. I can appriciate sunday night at the opera, spoken word, indy rawk, electronicia, hip hop, even some johnny cash, and all the greats from the 30's to the 60's from john coltraine, to miles davis, to janis, and all the inovators like ella fitzgerald and billie holiday.
 WGL
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/4/2009 1:16:19 PM
8 yrs old listened to
8TRACK- Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Frankie Valley and The 4Seasons
The Beatles, The Platters...Elvis

10 yrs old- Dr, Hook , Bob Seger , KISS mixed in there and all my sisters Blondie,
The Bay City Rollers, (DISCO Dianna Ross), Rod Stewart
MeatLoaf, Nazareth, Boston, Foreigner

14yrs old -John Cougar , Steve Earle, Dr,Hook, Bob Seger
 PETEYQ
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 7:46:21 PM
Born in 1968......My dad was in "NAM" and my mom was in college "expanding her mind".....I'm a child of the 80's but had to listen to my parent's talk about how much the 60's "ROCKED" and that my generation's music/ mtv "Suck's" hehe kinda what we say about these kid's now.....first became "aware" of music when i use to sing along with my mom to "ABBA" while she was driving.......then it was classic rock.....then came the 80's were it was New wave, participated in Desertstorm were we were completely cut off from the world, when we went over and it was all about MC Hammer and Sinead o'connor, come back and was like " Who the hell is Pearl-jam/ Nirvana?".......suffered through early 90's club music i.e. Haddaway THEN what i refer to as the "DARK TIMES" Backstreet boys, NYSNC, and ole Britny S.....sigh......now it's revisiting music from my childhood and yes my parent's were right......the 80's DID suck ( but i'll never admit to it around them!)
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What your musical development?