Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > what would the world be like today if only one race existed      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 3
what would the world be like today if only one race existedPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Yup, when you look at how vitriolic some can be over such a minor thing like skin colour it's just wishful thinking to believe things would be any different.
Language, religion, origin would all replace colour as divisions. Look at the former Yugoslavia - gentically and even in last names there are no differences between the Serbs, Croats and Muslims. Yet they still managed to find plenty of reasons for hate.
 Romantic Heretic
Msg: 4
what would the world be like today if only one race existed
Posted: 12/5/2007 1:36:01 PM
People are people. Many will always find reason to hate one another.

If there wasn't 'races' there would be religion. If there wasn't religion there would be politics. If there wasn't politics they'd dream up something like finger length or shape of a person's face.

Hatred, and its close cousins anger and fear, are highly addicting. And addicts will do anything to get their hit.
 zittyzoda
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/5/2007 1:42:43 PM
then we'd be picking on each other because we have different amounts of nose hair
 badge3939
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/5/2007 8:13:25 PM
Only one race. Lets say they all believe in the [bold]same religion[/bold]. No I am not trying to push relgion here.
Based on that. My opinon would be. We would still be in the type of world we are in today. Why?

Take it down to the church you attend, If You do. Even going to the same church. All the people are the same. Each will still break down into groups.

You go outside your church to a differnt church. Opinons vary. Some churchs would support other churches.

Like one said nose hairs.

Now put city, provance,state or country in place of church.

There will always be differencies no matter how equal you try to make people.
 Ihaveaname4you
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/5/2007 9:23:16 PM
Here is a litte piece of info for the stupid world to think about. There is only one human race and only one human species.

A white man can have a baby with a black woman and a black man can have a baby with a white woman. what does that tell you?

Adolf Hitler had this crazy idea about human races and that people where different species and his thinking style continues today. Anyone who thinks in terms of race is thinking like a madman and promoting division among people.
 CountIbli
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/6/2007 3:18:43 PM
Actually race is a meaningless term. There really is only one race. So in answer to the question, if race didn't exist we'd invent it. Did you know that there are racial tensions between dark skinned blacks and light skinned blacks?
 Ihaveaname4you
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/6/2007 3:24:03 PM
Tomozz, yeah, that is what Hitler thought and that is why he said blacks didn't count in olympic games when Jessie Owens beat all the Nazi's. He said they were animals out of the jungle but it just isn't true.

Tomozzo, what if Jessie Owens had kids with a white woman? Do you think that they would be slow runners, and what race would you call them?
 designingwoman
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2007 5:45:27 PM
It would be SO BORING.

We are all Human, and if you really think about it even though we humans have a wide range of physical features and colorations, we are all the same inside. We are of one species, Human.
 Ihaveaname4you
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/7/2007 1:02:21 PM
Tomozzo, ethnicity is something completely different than what people define as race. Ethnicity has more to do with culture so are you saying that people who are both white and black are of entirley different cultures?

Tomozzo, I hope that you see what I am saying and you rethink what the word "race" means. I hope that you are seeing that the whole idea of it is made up and that there are in fact all humans. Race is a word used negatively to identify variances within people that are natural but doesn not make them different species. It is all abstract and made up; it is not truth or science! Would you call seagulls that were all white with no black coloring a different species than those that did?
 MermaidSari
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 1:24:23 PM
As already said -- there is only one human race. The differences people 'perceive' often are not so different.

Cultural has always fascinated me though. Without the various cultures and nations -- we'd still have different communities and perceived differences. Consider the negative or positive critiques Californians or Southern people have...(and even taking it in smaller groups...just like the Hatfields and McCoys -- man seems determined to fight over territory and power).

I think the problem is people are more focused on 'differences' versus 'similiarities' that rise above political lines as well as cultural upbringing or family names.

The legacy we leave behind is often not our own but created by those left behind that either have a positive or negative correlation with one's beliefs. The 'facts' are often layed abandoned as that would require true research and the average person might be more prone to drama or following and compelled by the 'feeling of belonging' versus a thirst for the truth, knowledge and learning. (that sounds a little negative doesn't it ). True 'inventors' and 'leaders' are not prone to 'following' others. Prosperity is often not happiness (just look at all the complainers here in the U.S.) and peace has to have participants.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 3:46:29 PM
It would force those inclined towards bigotry to find other things to make sweeping character judgements upon. We might still be a bit tribal regionaly.
 NwMke
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 9:05:04 PM

re: OP
simple we would find some other reason to hate each other!

maxxoccupancy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2007 9:35:52 PM
My first instinct was to see that there is only one race, and that we need to recognize that an attack on one is an attack against all.

Human beings don't work that way, though. People put the interests of their own family ahead of their neighbors. People put their own kind ahead of the rest of mankind. Humanity takes precedence over animals. While it's not mentioned publicly, we are all innately clanish, some more than others. Preference for one's own family and race is not hatred. I know plenty of people who express hatred on other than racial grounds.

Now, it has come to pass that religion is being assigned blame for so many of mankind's problems, as though we could all deny our faith and achieve peace in our time. Fanatics and murderers occasionally like to hide behind some political or religious cause in order to kill innocent people. When religion is not available to hide behind, they always seem to find another excuse. The atrocities of the Roman Empire were tempered slightly with the spread of Christianity. We have found a kind of Darwinian process in history where those societies whose religions permitted human sacrafice, slavery, and savagery were eventually defeated by societies with more evolved cultural and religious beliefs.

My point is that hatred is not about race or religion. Hate is about hate. It is a self-destructive attitude carried by many people of different backgrounds.
 MermaidSari
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2007 7:32:27 AM

Humans are a species. Race is a sub-species categorization based on collections of genes which hold certain coding probabilities for traits. The categorization is due to unconscious pattern recognition of the human mind. Stating that humans are one race is ignorance (lacking knowledge). For the knowledge lacked see the first two sentences.

Feeling a bit passionate on the topic are we?

Etymology happens to be a hobby of mine. Shall we debate? .

Actually the term 'race' originally did not get the meaning you prescribe to it until the eighteen century by way of Latin (natio or gens). During the sixteenth century the term ‘race’ had a socio-political rather than an anthropological meaning. Going back futher to arabic where some feel the term originated from...it meant 'origin.'

In Europe as early as the fifteen century the word 'race' was used to designate aristocratics and thier blood line. And for the most in the sixteenth century the term ‘race’ had a socio-political rather than an anthropological meaning.

Judiac and Christian languages used terms to identity people depending on faith (but did not acknowledge genes or biological differences in our belief that all man descends from the same place). We still hold that belief today.

So you see your alleged 'non-ignorant' definition of the word 'race' is rather modern as with most ethnological definitions such as yours which is biological versus cultural. Here are the many definitions for your 'non-ignorant' linguistic knowledgeable brain. **wink**

race1(rās)
n.

1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.

2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

3. A genealogical line; a lineage.

4. Humans considered as a group.

5. Biology. (a) An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies. (b) A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.

6. A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.
[French, from Old French, from Old Italian razza, race, lineage.]

btw--I choose # 4. I do not agree with biologists or scientists who reduce humans to just a mere species of animal (at **times** we are more intelligent). At times being the operative words. **wink** While we consist of biological material, we also have the distinct ability to create or invent without foresight or before knowledge (a.k.a. Spirit).

Until a man can create a man from scratch (not using material already available)...I'm further convinced that man is not quite as intelligent as he thinks he is.
 meetrman
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/8/2007 11:23:51 AM
I was born (and began my schooling) in a city just outside NYC where there were lots of black kids. My parents moved us out to Long Island and we kids were shocked to find there wasn't a negro in our school or our town. By the time I graduated, there were, I think, three blacks in my high school yearbook...

There were several 'factions' in my high school in the mid-70's, but the most notable were "the Jocks" and "the Scurves". ("Jocks" is kinda obvious; "scurves" were grungy dopers, mostly.) They hated each other, and did battle constantly, engaging in violent gang fights, on and off school property. (Us geeks in the 'Band Wing' were neutral in all this.)

For lack of racial strife, they created their own divisions, their own 'distancing phenomena': "You're not like us, and we're not like YOU." So - I believe - it would be in a world without race. (BTW, has anyone here ever seen either of the filmed versions of Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Lathe of Heaven"?)

When I was a kid, I wore glasses, and I got teased a lot. I wished I didn't have them. It was not until many years later that I realized that if I hadn't, they'd only have teased me about something else...

That is the nature of children: there's "me" and there's "you". Then there's the nature of man: there's "us" and there's "them". (<= with apologies to Pink Floyd)

Better get used to it, folks: it's gonna be with us for a long, long time...
 Ash_M
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/8/2007 1:33:58 PM
If only one race existed, or only one religion, I'm sorry to say things would be much the same.
People are people. Many will always find reason to hate one another.
Look at the situation in Darfur, for example. Black on Black; Muslim on Muslim. And still a Genocide going on.
Very sad.
 meetrman
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/8/2007 3:19:14 PM
With all due respect, if I understand your clarification, it's even more disturbing than his use of the word "scientific".

I think the use of the word "scientific" in a context such as the discussion of race makes people understandably uncomfortable. Race + Science = Eugenics

Since the OP posed a hypothetical, I'd like to pose another here:

Suppose we were visited by an advanced civilization that told us: "We've done a scientific analysis, and your planet is supporting a lot of dead weight. We can get rid of them for you, if you'd like." What would we do?

Sure - some individuals might think it was a good idea, but I like to think that - as a species - we'd tell them to buzz off...

That brings to mind another great sci-fi quote, from "Star Trek IV": "I don't know about you, but my compassion for someone is not limited to my estimate of their intelligence!"
 MermaidSari
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2007 3:27:57 PM
Meetaman...

I think you gave a perfect illustration (as well ironically it can be seen in interactions here in this thread). Here we see debate using a derogatory opinion of another (ignorance) ... this being inflammatory in nature providing feul which then can erupt in quarrel versus rational and mature conversation [us = one who believes himself more intelligent than others v. them = those recognizing arrogance as a flaw above any point in debate and in truth arrogance does rather work against good debate tactics)...

Okay maybe I'm stretching it a bit for demonstrative evidence

That is the nature of children: there's "me" and there's "you". Then there's the nature of man: there's "us" and there's "them".

Better get used to it, folks: it's gonna be with us for a long, long time...

I believe Maslow pointed to the 'belonging' stage on his hierarchy of needs...and I also believe that some never pass this point in time in their live. So we have our groups (in groups and outgroups...sorted by gender, color, ethnicity, grade point average, occupaton, etc.). Perhaps we watched too much Sesame Street as children [remember that game...one of these things are not like the other]

As I said in my original post--for peace...there has to be willing participants. Man is a curious 'race' or 'species.' (whatever you prefer to classify us as... human or animal). **wink** Which ironically enough brings me to another response...

Animal...

You stated whether 4 or 5 in definition--it is still 'created' instead of 'discovered.' Everything is created at one point or another and discovered at a later point in time [and we know time is relative through science...don't we]. This would include language. You aren't suggesting the 'original' meaning of a word doesn't matter when others redefine the word at a later point in time, are you? [of course you are not].

(hope you don't mind me rephrasing your words. **wink**)
 VolcanoBoy
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/8/2007 4:06:22 PM
It would be more peaceful. Of course not perfect, but one less thing to fight about. The fewer differences people have (wealth, possessions, religions, races)... the less there is to fight about. Violence and hate is a spice of life though- an unavoidable spice.
 nipoleon
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2007 5:16:23 AM
If race didn't exist and we all had the same color skin, people would be killing each other over the color of their eyes or the wave in their hair.
White people in Europe hate other white people.
Black people in Africa hate other black people.
Everybody needs somebody they can look down on.
 designingwoman
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2007 10:11:09 AM
No I don't find racism exciting. I find racism repulsive and despicable.

I interpreted the question as being that if all humans all had the same physical appearance, which to me would be very boring indeed. I like people to have diverse cultures and physical traits. The differences in our world is what makes our world so interesting.

This question could be interpreted in so many different ways.
 VolcanoBoy
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/9/2007 2:46:10 PM

If race didn't exist and we all had the same color skin, people would be killing each other over the color of their eyes or the wave in their hair.
White people in Europe hate other white people.
Black people in Africa hate other black people.
Everybody needs somebody they can look down on.

But would you or anyone agree that bigotry would be down?
Though this topic from the start was totally pointless-
Ah well!
 adm1981
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/19/2007 11:48:30 AM
To me, there already is only one race. The human race is a race common to all of us. There are variations in that single race, sure. But I think the trick to addressing the whole race issue is for people to begin to realize that we *already* have one race on earth, people just fail to see that most of the time.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 6:04:52 PM
In Ancient Greece, all the Greeks were all one race, and they all formed into small tribes and all fought each other. Same in Ancient Britain.
Not much has changed in Britain. You still see gangs from different neighbourhoods fighting each other.
So, I doubt that anything would change. People would just find a different reason to fight each other. Heck, they already do.
 Topgear1
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/19/2007 6:44:12 PM
Well according to science only one race does exsist; Homo sapiens...All others died out or where exterminated by many differnet means by what would eventually become Homo sapiens.

What you really mean is "What if there was only one ethnic group?" Such as the Japanese ideaolgy prior to WWII or the idealogy the Nazi's had with their ambitions to create an Aryan nation...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > what would the world be like today if only one race existed