Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > NY Times: Man Held by C.I.A. Says He Was Tortured      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 word nurd
Msg: 1
NY Times: Man Held by C.I.A. Says He Was TorturedPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/washington/09gitmo.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Excerpts:

WASHINGTON, Dec. 8 — The first of the so-called high-value Guantánamo detainees to have seen a lawyer claims he was subjected to “state-sanctioned torture” while in secret C.I.A. prisons, and he has asked for a court order barring the government from destroying evidence of his treatment.

The request, in a filing by his lawyers, was made on Nov. 29, before officials from the Central Intelligence Agency acknowledged that the agency had destroyed videotapes of interrogations of two operatives of Al Qaeda that current and former officials said included the use of harsh techniques.

Lawyers for the detainee, Majid Khan, a former Baltimore resident, released documents in his case on Friday. They claim he “was subjected to an aggressive C.I.A. detention and interrogation program notable for its elaborate planning and ruthless application of torture” to numerous detainees.

The documents also suggest that Mr. Khan, 27, and other high-value detainees are now being held in a previously undisclosed area of the Guantánamo prison in Cuba he called Camp 7...

Asked about Mr. Khan’s assertions, Mark Mansfield, a C.I.A. spokesman, said, “the United States does not conduct or condone torture.” He said a small number of “hardened terrorists” had required what he called “special methods of questioning” in what he called a lawful and carefully run program...

The notes that were declassified from Mr. Khan’s lawyers, Gitanjali S. Gutierrez and J. Wells Dixon, say he “lives in Camp 7” and imply that he has contact with at least one other high-value detainee, Abu Zubaydah.

Officials at Guantánamo have not discussed the existence of a Camp 7. They often say publicly that the most recent center constructed there is Camp 6, a modern maximum-security building.

Commander Gordon, citing security concerns, declined to comment on the indication that there may be a secret detention unit, and added that “we do not disclose the exact location of detainees within Guantánamo.”...

Mr. Khan’s lawyers claim that “there is a substantial risk that the torture evidence will disappear.” They did not specify what evidence they believe may exist.

An intelligence official speaking on the condition of anonymity said the C.I.A.’s interrogations of Mr. Khan were not videotaped.

Mr. Dixon, one of Mr. Khan’s lawyers, said Saturday that the admission that officials had destroyed videotapes of interrogations showed why such an order was needed.

“They are no longer entitled to a presumption that the government has acted lawfully or in good faith,” Mr. Dixon said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeez, I'd like to believe the C.I.A. wouldn't lie to us. I'd also like a brazillion dollars. The crimes of this administration seem to know no bounds...
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
NY Times: Man Held by C.I.A. Says He Was Tortured
Posted: 12/10/2007 4:08:13 PM
I think that there is a kind of denial, here, that is just as bad as denial that anything happened. To pretend that all of these abuses started with the Bush administration is pretty labored. Nothing of the attacks on our liberty started with the current administration.

Buried in a Congressional report is an admission by CIA officials that they're agents and foreign operatives were committing at least 100,000 serious crimes every year. Serious crimes seemed to include rape, torture, murder, and assassinations. I don't have the source handy, by I am sure you could find it in the Congressional Record somewhere. Our own government has been arresting people without cause, trampling on their Constitutional rights, and has had numerous citizens disappear. People don't just disappear, they are killed, their bodies buried somewhere convenient. Worst of all has been the tendency to put in power regimes that have murdered hundreds of thousands of people.

In Iraq, detainees have been sodomized with sticks covered in battery acid and made to watch as their wives and children have been raped. This is not classified, but has been admitted before Congress. Many of these kinds of these started before Bush even considered his first unsuccessful run for Congress.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/11/2007 9:24:38 AM
^^^

Just as much as there are people who are willing to kill, lie, manipulate, plunder, funnel money out, exploit natural resources of other countries.. etc etc. Yes, the U.S administration. Far from innocent. Terrorist themselves I would say. It is not liberal or left rhetoric, its just common sense. They just sugar coat it and make it look they are dignified and honorable. BS.

Biggest problem I have is that with all their lies and terrible judgments and bad decisions I cant imagine how many INNOCENT people have been rounded up. An Al Jazeera cameraman has been in Guantanamo Bay for 5 years. No charges laid still. Being tortured for information. Yeah thats real noble. How many more are like that. How many are sitting in prisons in IRAQ just because the disagree with what is going on? Tortured as well? Abu Gharib remember? Then we wonder why some have a backbone and want to fight back. Hell I would take up arms as well, how many Americans would practice their right to bear arms if a foreign army just set foot on their soil and begin implementing their OWN laws. Making sure that an oil law is ratified in their favor so their buddies could come in, contractors are not liable for their actions, contractors not even doing a good job with infrastructure (no water, no sanitation in some areas still) YET still collecting billions of dollars .., and the funny thing is its all American Tax payer money! and yet you continue to go with it! then You have a Canadian kid (KHADR) who lobs a grenade and kills a soldier and is sitting in Guat Bay being tortured cause he is at terrorist but you have backwater ops killing with purpose who are allowed to flee the country unpunished. WOW!
 feeltobefree
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/11/2007 9:35:48 AM
no, it is American Foreign Policy, presidents come and go, but the root of the evil is the policies and agendas in place. History is proof of that.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/11/2007 9:59:31 AM
Now you are just grouping every terrorist action under one umbrella. Each of its own had a purpose.

Hostages in Olympics? That was a Palestine-Israeli Conflic.. a whole other mess that continues today. Both parties are responsible for the escalation.

Riots in France? What, this was not terrorism, this was a public outcry of poverty I believe.

The didnt kill the Dutch cartoonist, At least I dont think so.

Sure there are attacks and there are radicals, but there is reason to their madness. Some valid and yes some are extreme acts of point of views. Just dont think that Muslims are the only ones that carry this thought. Its harbored in every country and every culture, radicals are not tied to Muslim. Even Christianity, remember those nuts who were bombing abortion clinics? Oklahoma bombing? right in your own country too. Thats the problem with this so called War on Terror, people and the media tie this to a group of people or religion thinking they are the cause. That is dangerous because now your labeling an entire population based on a few radicals.

Do you not agree that America is the most influential government in the world? Those decisions are in the best interest of whom? I think America, even at the cost of others. American Policy does not counter terrorism. It adds fuel to the fire. And you know what, they are fully aware that the choices and decisions they make does this, keeps the war machine going. They want instability. More money, more power. History has proved this countless times that power and money corrupts. Your government is not immune to this, they actually embrace it (google PNAC). Their actions have showed it. Your military history and sponsorship of TERRORISTS proves this! Saddam, Pinochet, Potts? Do you know who these people are, well your government supported them and helped get them into power. You know part of that American policy, we scratch your back and you scratch ours.
 Dracoa79
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2007 3:26:52 PM

Jemue, if you are so passionate about protecting Islamic warlords why don't you start a group or an Islamic organization the promotes the safty to Osama Bin Laden and his followers? Or, you could start a group like the ACLU within Iraq or Afganistan. I am sure the people of Islam would love to have you arrive in their country to teach them about Western ideas and laws. Jemue, don't you think of yourself, think of God and doing what is right. God wants you to choose a side; you know what is right....You know that there can only be on side that is good. . Are the people of Afganistan the bad people, or, are the people of the US the bad people? Pick a side and join the fight if you are so passionate about what is going on the world!

Wow. Just... wow. That sounds exactly like the thinking of the people you seemingly hate. It's not right for them, and it's not right for you. Do you honestly think your god would want you to murder, as you seem so anxious to do? Here I thought it was preached in the Bible to "love thy neighbor", not "love thy neighbor, unless he is of a different religion". You are just as bad as these terrorists, if only in your mentality if not your actions. As far as picking a side goes, I've picked the side of peace. I've picked the side that hasn't been blinded by the governments lies, hasn't been blinded by anger and hate, the tools of the current administration.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > NY Times: Man Held by C.I.A. Says He Was Tortured