Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Buttermilk Pie....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bk1
Msg: 10
Buttermilk Pie....Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Buttermilk pie;

3 eggs
2 cups of sugar
1 tblspn (heaping) flour
½ cup melted butter(not margarine)
1 cup buttermilk
1 tspn; vanilla
1 unbaked pie crust

Directions; Mix eggs, sugar, butter and flour. Add buttermilk and vanilla, pour into pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees on top rack for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 and move to lower rack for 30 minutes.
 Lario
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Buttermilk ?? 's suggestions ?
Posted: 12/12/2007 10:27:45 PM
Nothing is as country as a glass of buttermilk at 4 am. Try it.
 violetstreak
Msg: 17
Buttermilk suggestion
Posted: 12/13/2007 5:18:07 PM
just curious.. why even buy the buttermilk?
I have the same problem in that I can only find it in 1Litre containers and most recipes I need it for call for 250ml.

So I just buy regular milk and add white vinegar.
1Tbsp white vinegar or fresh lemon juice added to 1cup milk (1%, 2% or homogenized) .... let sit about 5 minutes.

I am a pastry chef/baker and I use this in biscuits, pies, cakes, muffins... it does not affect the texture or flavor of the end product. Souring the milk produces the same chemical effect as using actual buttermilk.
 texasbaby
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Buttermilk suggestion
Posted: 2/22/2009 8:42:58 AM
I have a suggestion about the buttermilk if you can't use it all up. Use powdered buttermilk instead, I keep it all the time and it's great for recipes. I do like using fresh,, but sometimes I forget to buy it. So the can of powdered is sitting on my pantry shelf for those times.

tb
 SAguy_06
Msg: 21
Buttermilk suggestion
Posted: 2/22/2009 9:38:01 AM
Blues...Sharing is a fun part of cooking.

there isnt a nice, deserving young lady in your area that would like some bake with love goods?
 forum101
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 12:04:58 PM
I dont buy buttermilk. 2 parts milk and 1 part butter, and I dont have buttermilk going to waste in my frig.
 kbodley
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 1:08:11 PM
I keep powdered buttermilk in my pantry! In fact the best buttermilk pancake recipe I have ever eaten is on the back of the SACO powdered buttermilk can!

In my grocery store the powdered buttermilk can usually be found either in the same section as the powdered milk, or sometimes it is in the baking section with the baking powder. It can also frequently be found in the bulk food aisle, however, you will need to have the recipes, etc. written down.

I love the powdered buttermilk because you can easily reconstitute it, keeps forever, and makes awesome homemade ranch dressing (powdered buttermilk, non-fat milk, a couple spoons of mayonaise or yogurt, and whatever fresh herbs you have in your garden!)
 Fifi47
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/22/2009 1:47:48 PM
I live down the street from a local mom and pop type grocery store, and go there to buy buttermilk in 8 oz. cartons. I think Kroger sells buttermilk in pint containers, which is easier to use up than a quart. FREE POUNDCAKE, or there might be a riot...but then, there might be a riot if people find out how yummy the poundcake tastes and are making a beeline to your door....Blues49 always makes me laugh.....
 Dovelett
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 2:23:07 PM
Blues use some buttermilk to make chicken fried steak and freeze the portions you don't use -same with chicken parts or tenders - use pork culets or fish fry -dip in buttermilk- than flour or breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs place on wax paper to separate the portions n freeze till ready to use. Make a buttermilk dressing. Whip some into mashed potatoes. Think someone mentioned pancakes.

Here is a recipe for some soak some chicken or meats in upto 30 minutes to 1 day fish I would soak a couple hours.
2 c. buttermilk
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 c. chopped any herbs you like mixed fresh herbs -basil-parsley- tarragon- thyme- or a teaspoon each of any dried herbs you like
1/2 tsp. paprika or smoked
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Mix the above together and put in whatever you are dipping than
roll with the mixed ingredients below

2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. garlic granular
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt n pepper to your taste

fry in
2 cups grapeseed oil, or other high smoke-point oil such as canola oil, or peanut oil

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Round Steak put through tenderizer.
1 large egg
1 c. buttermilk
salt to taste
Garlic granular both sides meat before starting flour mixture.
pepper to taste
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cracker meal
pinch of baking powder
1 - 3 to 5 ozs. beef cutlets - hand-tenderized
vegetable shortening for cooking

Sometimes I 've used just good cut pieces of meat cut in cubes n soaked them n rolled in mixtures. Fry n makes a gravy all at once can add potaotes

Use in cornbread or mac n cheese is good too So it won't go to waste

I use for skin mask mixed with egg whites works great.
 Dovelett
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 2:49:15 PM
Darn Blue how could I forget this recipe in my family for many many moons like over 80 years and so oooooooooooo good

Cookies with Buttermilk, don't let the buttermilk turn you
My Mother-in law made these n her mother taught her. Was in her family since she was a little girl. . These are Delicious n freeze well if any left to freeze!!
They swell n oh they are good.

2 eggs well beaten
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 c. shortening
4 1/2 c. flour
1 T. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp . salt
1 pkg. semi -sweet choc. Chips or use milk chocolate chips
1 c. nuts .chopped
1 c. buttermilk

Mix all well .. bake on greased cookie sheet at 350° F till lightly browned - touch with finger for indent or they spring back. These raise -spread -n- are delicious. Grease pan

Oh yes the buttermilk dressing but try with

1/2 ripe avocado cut into chunks
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sour cream
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 T. lemon fresh lemon
1 green onion with stem chopped
Additional Seasonings to Mix n Match 1 T. chives minced fresh
1/4 tsp. garlic clove grated
1 T. cilantros fresh minced
1 tsp. ginger fresh grated peeled
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. dried ancho chile minced

Combine avocado- buttermilk- sour cream- mustard- lemon juice-green onion n stem in food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Add any of seasonings you'd like and process again.
 Fifi47
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/22/2009 2:53:34 PM
Now we will all run out and buy buttermilk and make these recipes, then start a thread next week about what to do with all the extra food we have that contains buttermilk....
 Dovelett
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 2:56:10 PM

I started usin' 1/2 flour 1/2 masa to dust in . Slightly different texture and a little "sweeter" or somethin ' ....

Yea Blues I like the the masa also makes a good gravy too. sometimes make the steak crispy than the gravy. but you must try it on the chicken tenders or thighs.
Darn now I am wanting it The shrimp sounds great. maybe add egg white to the buttermilk to hold to the batter or flour better....
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 4:55:21 PM
....Did someone say Beer??????????????????????
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 5:05:21 PM
..Oh crap..this is a Buttermilk thread..LOL, well let me say this...I have been fooling around making pancakes the last couple months from scratch. Most recipes I've come across always want you to make them with buttermilk..I guess for the flavor..and the leavening action of the acid and soda. Well...let me give you a hint...you don't need it. I have just been tossing some soda in the mix and giving it a squirt of lemon juice...or tossing some creme of tartar in the mix to get the bubbles going. As for flavor...just dribble a little vanilla in the mix...I promise you that you won't miss the buttermilk.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 5:08:18 PM
...Next time...scramble the eggs...broil or fry some tomato slices..and toss a sausage or two in the pan too...you'll have the makings of a classic English breakfast..

..Oh..and Corona's always good
 mik1950
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/24/2009 4:01:22 AM

Lime juice will work in place of rennet. So will vinegar

in a word...no...
the acid in the lime juice(citric acid) and the acetic acid in vinegar only coagulates the milk and forms a curd...rennet is an enzyme that builds the curd...holding it together so its solid enough to make cheese
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2010 4:13:12 PM
...I've always asked the same question about sour cream...When do you throw it out? (assuming you haven't found another use for it...like dipping 'Nilla wafers in it for a snack...Gawd I love that , LOL)
 arwen52
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:16:32 PM
I've got a good one for you: Buttermilk Pie.

I got the recipe from an old neighbor lady when I lived in the Ozarks back in the 1970s. I call it a poor man's cheesecake.

Also, there's a Danish buttermilk soup. Served cold, it tastes like liquid cheesecake and is a dessert. You'll have to look that up yourself.

Here's my buttermilk pie recipe. The original only called for vanilla but I like adding the lemon.

Buttermilk Custard Pie

1 unbaked 9” deep dish pie shell
1 stick butter (room temperature or melted)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
juice of one lemon(optional)
pinch of salt
3 eggs
5 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375°F

Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, lemon juice (optional), salt. Add eggs, beat until smooth. Add flour, beat until smooth. Add buttermilk and mix until well blended. Pour into unbaked pie shell and place on 2nd rack from bottom of oven at 375°F for fifteen minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 30 minutes. Start to check for doneness. (It usually takes an additional 20 minutes in my oven.) Custard should be firm and not jiggle in the middle when you move the pie pan and a knife inserted into the center should come out clean.

Cool on a cake rack in a cool spot. Pie will slice more easily if it is thoroughly chilled in the refrigerator.

This recipe is almost too much filling for one 9” pie shell. If you have left over filling, you can bake it in a ramekin. I’ve tried cutting down a bit on the buttermilk sometimes and just used 1 1/4 or even 1 cup. (You can buy buttermilk in 1/2 pt. containers) You might want to reduce the sugar accordingly if you try that.

This recipe was typed out for me by my neighboron Sat., March 22, 1975. She was an eccentric old woman known by many as “The Goat Lady.” She kept goats and chickens and made quite a garden. She was well loved by everyone who knew her. I hope you like this as much as I do.
 arwen52
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 10:43:43 PM
^^^^^ Just Bunky, glad you liked it. She was a wonderful woman. I feel fortunate to have had her in my life and just recently started making this pie again. Everyone who has it has enjoyed it.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Buttermilk Pie....