Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Bush Vetoes Kids Health Insurance Bill - Again      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 word nurd
Msg: 1
Bush Vetoes Kids Health Insurance Bill - AgainPage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BUSH_VETO?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush vetoed legislation Wednesday that would have expanded government-provided health insurance for children, his second slap-down of a bipartisan effort in Congress to dramatically increase funding for the popular program.

It was Bush's seventh veto in seven years - all but one coming since Democrats took control of Congress in January. Wednesday was the deadline for Bush to act or let the bill become law. The president also vetoed an earlier, similar bill expanding the health insurance program.

Bush vetoed the bill in private...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone who thinks there will someday be something even remotely resembling a universal health care program funded by the Federal Government shouldn't hold their breath. Even if or when the Dems regain control of the White House, it'll be years before the details could be hammered out and agreed upon...
 exodusi1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Bush Vetoes Kids Health Insurance Bill - Again
Posted: 12/12/2007 5:59:00 PM
The greed of this nation, not the terrorists, will be our undoing!

I wish I could say you were wrong. Even Bush knew what he was doing was wrong, or he would have done it in public.
 exodusi1
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 6:39:58 PM
First they vote with greed. I hate the ignorance of our country that so many are so easily lied to. Then, they seek to sweep the argument away by deleting the thread!

When did the party go from republic to repugnant?
 sailingsouth
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 6:41:43 PM
If one reads the entire news item on Yahoo, which is where I picked it up, Bush had valid reasons for his veto - one being that this wasn't just for poor children, and also that it brought adults into the program. There's more, before you comment, you should take a look at the WHOLE article and not just the fragment placed here by the OP. Here are some excerpts:

In a statement notifying Congress of his decision, Bush said the bill was unacceptable because — like the first one — it allows adults into the program, would cover people in families with incomes above the U.S. median and raises taxes.
"This bill does not put poor children first, and it moves our country's health care system in the wrong direction," Bush's statement said. "Ultimately, our nation's goal should be to move children who have no health insurance to private coverage, not to move children who already have private health insurance to government coverage...
A major point of contention with the White House was Bush's demand that nearly all poor children eligible for the program be found and enrolled before any in slightly higher-income families could be covered. He originally proposed adding $5 billion to the program over five years but later said he was willing to go higher as long as his conditions were met."

Funny, but there's an election coming, this is a popular program, the Dems send a bill which they KNOW, absolutely, the President won't sign - which then looks bad to the voter, who doesn't bother checking out the details.
Bush was ready to add more money to the program, provided the Democratically controlled government met his conditions - which were to enroll EVERY poor child, before extending the program to others.
This is bad? Am I missing something here?
 sailingsouth
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 6:44:17 PM
Hey exodus - pretty strong presumption there, that the negative votes are coming from republicans. You have no way of knowing who voted what.
FYI, I voted to keep this thread and I'm conservative. Your prejudices are showing.
 exodusi1
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 6:46:31 PM
Yes, it is bad. Because you don't have to be poor to "not afford healthcare."

Healthcare is a basic human right, not a privilidge for the wealthy.

I have great healthcare, provided for me by a great company.

But there are 47 million Americans without coverage.

This regime long ago lost their collective souls!
 designingwoman
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 7:32:10 PM
I think it was a very poor choice for Bush to veto a children's health insurance plan.

We need to have a solid universal health care program in our country--health care for all shouldn't even BE an issue!

What I think of people who don't care about kids' health insurance would not be suitable for publication. 'nuff said.
 IndigoPanda
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 9:12:22 PM
Bush was right for vetoing the Bloated Bill.

Bush is for a continuation of the S CHIP program even with a modest (6%) increase, but Congress wants a 50% increase and give free health care to ADULTS and children who already have health insurance coverage. Why can not Congress just pass the original (1995 version) of the S CHIP program???

The C stands for Children
 Skydds
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/12/2007 10:57:46 PM

The C stands for Children

Does the S stand for Shitty?
 word nurd
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/13/2007 6:59:55 AM
...this country is running an aburd [sic] deficit and is, what, over 9 TRILLION in debt now? Can we really afford the luxury of expensive universal healthcare right now? Especially when out system, while not entirely perfect, is functioning quite well as it is.

The war in Iraq has already cost nearly a half TRILLION (see http://nationalpriorities.org/cms/costofwar for a running tab). It's a question of where our priorities lie (or should lie). Yes, we can afford universal healthcare. Every other civilized country in the world does it. And our system hardly functions well! I take it you haven't seen Sicko, or you wouldn't make such a patently absurd statement.
 exodusi1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 8:43:01 AM
He vetoed a bill that would have cost us two weeks in Iraq.

They didn't have healthcare when the Constitution was written, unless you call bloodletting with leaches medicine.

But the roll of government is defined thusly: "establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity"

Seems to me, promoting the general welfare should include healthcare.

But if you think that destroying our economy by waging war against everyone in the middle east is more important than our children or their future, then I guess you would fall along the lines of the rest of the right wing hypocrits who want to protect the fetus, but forget the child.
 cotter
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 8:49:22 AM

Combine that with the fact that this country is running an aburd deficit and is, what, over 9 TRILLION in debt now?
Ya ... BOMBS cost money.

Especially when out system, while not entirely perfect, is functioning quite well as it is[.
I suppose that depends on where one is sitting.
**In the arms of luxury ... it works great.
**Got a job that will offer benefits ... OK.
**Got a job that purposely does not offer the hours or the benefits ... Not OK.
**Living in a homeless shelter or a box under a bridge because you lost everything trying to pay your medical bills and had no insurance as a lot of places don't offer that option ... HOPELESS.

If you've got no place to live, then you have no place to even take a bath so you can put on some wrinkled but clean clothes and try to get a job so you can feed your family. When your family needs food, you could probably harvest something out of dumpster. But what do you do when your family needs medical care? That's not something you can get out of a dumpster ... or even find down the street from the bridge you live under.

You have to have a viable address in order to qualify for Welfare ... that takes money for a deposit on an apartment and you also have to qualify (need a job that shows you have an income) in order to sign a lease on an apartment.

But all in all ... it appears to be functioning quite well as it is ... NOT!!!!!
 sailingsouth
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 9:09:08 AM

Funny, but there's an election coming, this is a popular program, the Dems send a bill which they KNOW, absolutely, the President won't sign - which then looks bad to the voter, who doesn't bother checking out the details.
Bush was ready to add more money to the program, provided the Democratically controlled government met his conditions - which were to enroll EVERY poor child, before extending the program to others.
This is bad? Am I missing something here?

It appears that the Democrats are, surprise surprise, playing politics with this issue. If the President was doing that, he'd sign this in a minute and be a hero to both the public and Republican members who are concerned abotu the optics, but he hasn't done that. Seems that the President may be working from a position of some integrity, rather than politics...(oh, is that screaming I hear from the left?)
He's offered a compromise - one that improves the program, ensures that the funds to to POOR children and, keeps adults out of the program.
The Democrats, of course, want nothing to do with that. It's 'give us the money' - pretty much the norm for Democrats.
Another point - a program designed like this one is a back door into universal health coverage by the Dems. Another good reason for the veto.
 exodusi1
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 9:12:01 AM
Using "Bush" and "integrity" in the same sentance may not be illegal, but it is ironic!
 sailingsouth
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 9:32:16 AM
^^^ well, maybe not screaming, lol...
Exodus, come on, address my point - you're good for that.
 cotter
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 12:37:29 PM

... which were to enroll EVERY poor child ...
How POOR does a child have to be to qualify? I anticipate the reality of that would be ONLY poor children with an address?

I can hear it now. The mother sitting there in the clinic with the child on her lap ... and when they ask for her address (so "Dubya" can verify recent library books checked out) ... the mother replies ... "We live in box #14 under the 2nd Arch of the Broad Street Bridge."

The social worker then replies ... "Sorry lady, if you don't have an appropriate mailing address, your child doesn't qualify." How can anyone sign up for or enroll in something if they don't have an address?

Does a child have to be a citizen of the US to qualify? Does this mean that all of the "Refugee" children and all of the children we take in on "Political Asylum" also qualify? Whoops ... not necessary. They already get health care benefits from the local Welfare Department ... guaranteed to them the minute they step on US soil. But not our own POOR citizens.

I think we ought to start some sort of program that a bunch of us offer up the use of our addresses so that our citizens also qualify for health care benefits. Any benefits would be good at this point.
 cotter
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 1:49:20 PM

No one remains untreated; it is a fallacy.

That is an outright BOLD-FACED lie.

OT ...
Anyone who thinks there will someday be something even remotely resembling a universal health care program funded by the Federal Government shouldn't hold their breath. Even if or when the Dems regain control of the White House, it'll be years before the details could be hammered out and agreed upon...
I keep thinking that if all the people who DON'T have insurance would just get together to form their own group ... WOW that would be the most powerful group on the face of the earth!!!
 cotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 2:29:54 PM
STOP SPEWING LIES ...
Contrary to what most people seem to percieve, we actually DO have government healthcare systems in place in the US. They're called Medicare and Medicaid.
MEDICAID is only available to people on Welfare ... and that is only funded by locally generated tax dollars ... NOT Federal.

MEDICARE is only available to people who have paid into it. You can't get Medicare if you did not pay into it and are not paying premiums for it. It is not FREE to anyone.

The "poor destitute" types are actually the ones covered.
I have no idea where that came from but it is a lie.

Unless one is on Welfare ... there is no coverage for the "poor destitute" types. If one of our own citizens needs Welfare ... they have to have a verifiable address in order to receive it. I should know ... I used to deliver the mail that contained the checks and the medical cards and then I worked as a nurse who took care of those clients. No verifiable address ... no benefits.

Most were Refugees and people here on Political Asylum ... they are guaranteed an apartment and benefits the moment their feet hit US soil ... funded by the Federal Government. That was the extent of Federal funding for those people. There was no funding coming from the State level. The rest fell on the County through the Welfare Department which is funded by locally generated tax dollars. Food Stamps for them is also a County liability.

If a citizen of the US needs Welfare ... they must apply and mostly wait for up to 3 months to get help. By then, they have usually lost the roof over their head. The only way to "verify" an address for Welfare is to present a lease and/or at least two utility bills in your name with an address on it. That has to be in place before they will SEND out a Welfare check. There is no going to the Welfare office and picking up a check.

We also have a terrible dilemma right now with our War Veterans. They are returning home maimed and mutilated and cannot get ongoing help from the VA. They get limited care and then they are sent out on their own. If they can WALK out of the hospital ... the VA is done with them. They refer the veterans to the local Welfare Departments.

If there is a spouse involved, as long as there is even a smidgen of income ... there is no hope for Welfare. If they are in the process of buying a home ... that has to go ... they have to use up all of their resources before they can qualify for Welfare benefits.

It's a damn shame that they are put in that position by a greedy warmongering administration that can't find the funding for even the weakest of it's citizens, but can spend TRILLIONS on an ILLEGAL war ...
 exodusi1
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 4:05:26 PM

18,000 AMERICANS!

18,000 Americans DIE every year because they don't have health insurance.

That is like having a 9/11 every two months.

It is a crime that this nation does not take care of its citizens.

Greed is the only reason why.

And yet some expert American can say no kids are dying in the streets. Ignorance is bliss!
 cotter
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 4:33:10 PM

Why does the war keep coming up here? It has nothing to do with the question of universal healthcare.
The war keeps coming up because if we were not spending all that money on the illegal war ... it could go towards health care ... DUH!!!!

OMG ... sometimes I think people purposely pose really "dense" questions just to see if anyone will respond. That or just to get a really good laugh going ...

I also love it how the cost of the war has now skyrocketed from the half-trillion mentioned in the begining of the thread, to now multiple trillions.
Might as well be multiple trillions for all it's brought the US. It was supposed to be bringing us cheaper OIL ... but they couldn't even get that part right. They still can't get their greedy hands on the oil and it's costing us and several of our future generations an arm and a leg.

You're ignoring the key component here: HOW DO WE PAY FOR IT?
Another really dense question, but I'm a sucker for it.

For starters ... GET THE H3LL OUT OF IRAQ ... start putting that money towards the good of our own citizens / residents.

I don't want to be giving any more of my money to the federal government. I'm already giving up a quarter of it to them.
Hmmm ... seems to me then that you'd be one of the first to want that money to stay here at home as opposed to going to raid Iraq's OIL fields.

I do know that as is apparent here in the forums ... there are some out there who do have a pretty warped sense of values. They'll pay, pay, pay to kill off the Iraqi's and steal their oil, but will not consider taking care of their own citizens.

To H3ll with that ... go get the OIL!!!!
 sailingsouth
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 4:34:41 PM

That is an outright BOLD-FACED lie

Easy to say Cotter, but I don't see any proof - just you, talking away. That's not proof.
 sailingsouth
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 4:38:52 PM
@ cotter
Your words:
I think we ought to start some sort of program that a bunch of us offer up the use of our addresses so that our citizens also qualify for health care benefits.

Then do it, starting with finding someone on the street and providing them with your address.
 sailingsouth
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 4:46:46 PM
If there is a spouse involved, as long as there is even a smidgen of income ... there is no hope for Welfare. If they are in the process of buying a home ... that has to go ... they have to use up all of their resources before they can qualify for Welfare benefits.

Exactly what is done by the greedy, warmongering government of .....are you ready for this....Ontario, Canada.
 cotter
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 4:59:41 PM

Again you ignored most of my points and focused on this non issue.
Any money spent on health care instead of an illegal war is money well spent.

I haven't even stated a position on the war.
And it doesn't matter how you feel about the war ... it's about not spending money on it and spending money on our own citizens ... here in the US.

Which is better, a less-than-perfect health care system or an eventual economic collapse from the country going bankrupt?
The country would be in a lot better shape fiscally if we were not supporting an illegal war ... money that could have been spent on the health care of our own citizens instead of lining the pockets of the current administration and it's cronies.

OT ...
The president also vetoed an earlier, similar bill expanding the health insurance program.
Bush vetoed the bill in private...
And it will continue as long as he has the chance to profit from his investment in Iraq ... FOLLOW THE MONEY.
 designingwoman
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 5:26:31 PM
Cotter has made some very good points on this thread.

Health care should be considered a basic, essential human right, not a privilege.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Bush Vetoes Kids Health Insurance Bill - Again