Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Unaccompanied Minor on flight screw-up.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Malley
Msg: 16
Unaccompanied Minor on flight screw-up.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
A similar situation happened a number of years ago with my daughter who was 6 at the time ... She had flown as an unaccompanied minor, non-stop from Toronto to St. John's ... upon arrival home ... she disembarked the plane ... walked across the tarmac and on into the arrivals area ... alone !!! ... The jaw of the security guard on duty dropped when he saw what had happened ...

Airlines mislead you into believing that the child travelling as an U.M. will be babysat for lack of a better word ... the problem is that you are not informed that this baysitter/stewardess may have to look after a multitude of children ... if, in the departure airport, one of these kids needs to use the bathroom ... they have to go alone ... because the others need to be supervised ... if the child should exit the bathroom and wander off and leave the holding area ... as children will do ... who then goes looking for them ??? The airlines informed me that it is the childs responsibility to do as they are instructed ...

If I had a child travelling alone now ... I would ask questions ... read the fine print ... and before purchasing a ticket ... remember ... as with everything else ... buyer beware ... This is precious cargo boarding that plane !!!
 wanderbaby
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Unaccompanied Minor on flight screw-up.
Posted: 12/16/2007 9:43:16 PM
I think it's crazy to let kids go off on their own in an airplane by themselves, there could be delays, cancelations, and flight risk that's too much to put on a child's shoulder to weather the trip on their own. If ur going to pay a fee, mind as well have a friend/family/yourself to go on the plane to take the child there and back, especially if the child is 5.

As far as teh article is concerned, it's the parents responsibility to meet the child after they are off the plane, where was the father? I would also think in cases where the child flys by themselves, the other parent/guardian should have the priviledge to meet them after they get off the plane terminal. I just think these parents are using this situation so they can be sue happy and get money off, since why mention they would sue? They should just be glad their child arrives safe and sound and not have the child travel alone, it's their mistake as well.
 SaraMarie82
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/17/2007 12:11:53 AM
I personally will not allow my son to go on a Bus,Or flight alone till he is about 16 Wether or not his father will be at the other bus stop waiting or the other airport my son will not fly alone or anything till he is old enough my personal opinion i just couldnt feel right at all about putting my 4 year old on a flight alone.... I can't imagine how scary that would be for such a young child...Regardless if the place had supervision...If in the case my son has to fly out somewhere at this point or until he is older to visit a relative or anything i will accompanie him on the flight there and back....
Sure i may be being paranoid but my child is my life and if something was to slip and something happened to him or due to the chance the other person at the connecting airport may in the even get stuck in traffic i sure in hell do not want my 4 year old standing around waiting for that person...
 packagedealx3
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 5:42:13 PM
My daughter and son were 8 the first time they flew alone. I put them on the plane here and their grandmother took them off when they reached their destination. My daughter flew to Europe as a People to People ambassador when she was 11 but I did not allow her to fly to Washington, D.C. and be picked up by the leadership conference she was attending because of her age and the fact that it was an unfamiliar airport. I drove her there.

This summer, she rode a bus to Purdue with people from the local Presbytery for a national youth conference. The day she would have driven back the youth group here left for Omaha so she took the bus from Purdue to the airport with another girl and flew to Chicago and caught a connecting flight to Omaha, she is 15. She flew into Midway, the other girl O'Hare, so the last leg of the trip each made alone. Their flights landed 10 minutes apart and the youth director picked them up from the airport and they joined the group. Last spring when her choir flew into Chicago for a competition she said the adults drove her nuts because it took them so long to get the baggage and get out of the airport.

The first time I put her on a plane by herself I was a wreck but I stood there and thought, what is different than if I were on the plane with her? If it crashes, I will not be there to save here. If it crashed and I was on the plane, there would be no guarantee that I could save either of us. I can either be freaked out every time there is a tiny amount of risk involved or do what I tell my children which is if they are going to spend their lives afraid of things, they will miss a lot.

I have a greater chance of losing the kid at Target, frankly, and I have taught my children to take care of themselves. These are tools they always have available to them even when I am not around.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Unaccompanied Minor on flight screw-up.