Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Japanese blood-type theory of personality      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Japanese blood-type theory of personalityPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It's Christmas - time for some lighter-hearted fare.

Apparently, in Japan, asking your blood-type is like asking for your horoscope sign - it's supposed enable people to be able to tell things about you. It's on the same level of scientificity* as horoscopes. You can draw from that what you want.

Okay, choose the personality traits that most accurately describe you from the following four groups. After you have chosen, then look below for the answer. I'll write the answer in a cheap code so you can't just quickly glance and ruin the test for yourself like you always do. Okay, you may turn your papers over now.

1) Best Traits: Cool, controlled, rational.
Worst Traits: Critical, indecisive.

2) Best Traits: Wild, a doer, cheerful.
Worst Traits: Selfish, irresponsible.

3) Best Traits: Agreeable, sociable, an optimist.
Worst Traits: Vain, careless.

4) Best Traits: Earnest, creative, sensible.
Worst Traits: Fastidious, overearnest.

STOP --- HAVE YOU FINISHED THE TEST?

Okay, here's what the answers are:

Ignore these filler words Q and letters to help stop DE you cheating, answer one is for blood type AB, answer two is for blood type B, answer three is for blood type O, answer four is for blood type A, here are more filler words LM at the end here P, supercool code, eh?

For the record, I chose option one - but I can't remember my blood-type. Yeah yeah, I know - everyone should know. I think I'm an A. It's definitely not AB anyway, which is the option I chose. Answer four (type A) would've been my second choice though.

Accurate? More/less accurate than your horoscope? How about your phrenology?**

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_blood_type_theory_of_personality
• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

GE&H
* If it isn't a word, it should be. Anyway, my point is that it kicks the ass of "scientific-ness".
** The study of the shape (and lumps) of your head.
 AwP
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Japanese blood-type theory of personality
Posted: 12/19/2007 5:06:42 AM
I was torn between 1 and 4, and my bloodtype is B which was 2, so it obviously doesn't work on me.
 badge3939
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/19/2007 11:00:07 AM
There no 5 all of the above. damm
 scorpiomover
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 11:14:23 AM
According to this, my blood type would be AB. But it's O+, like my whole family.

By the way, Phrenology "is a theory which claims to be able to determine character, personality traits and criminality on the basis of the shape of the head". Is that the same as reading someone's blood type?
 TedJMill
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 12:54:30 PM
I picked #1 as my first choice to describe me; #4 would be my second choice. My blood type is O, and #3 is way off in describing me.
 AwP
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 4:37:23 AM
Well we wouldn't have known that if some brave gaijin like me hadn't been willing to use myself as a test subject now would we?
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 10:23:03 AM
Hmmm, let's see if any scienciness can be made of the results so far:

AwP was torn between AB and A, and is actually B. Okay, simply reduce the equation, which eliminates the A's and leaves B. Perfect...1 for 1 so far.

BadgerBill: There no 5 all of the above. damm
Has 3 O's, 2 A's, no B's, and no AB combo's. B is a common blood type in Asia, and he's not asian, so this is correct. 2 for 2.

scorpiomover: Chose AB, actually O. Well, O's are the 'universal donors', so this clearly means that you're going to donate blood and save the life of a poor wretched AB person. Keep you eyes open for one today. 3 for 3.

TedJMill: Chose AB and A, actually O. Either going to donate blood and save the sorry life of a B (like in AwP's example) or maybe both an AB and a A. 4 for 4.

pelirroja85: Chose A, actually A. Hmm, this is a toughy. After simplifying the equation and reducing the A's, there's nothing left -- null personality traits. Not a lack of personality, just rudderless directionless personality. Sociopathic or altruistic paths may be in your near future. I'm going to count this a miss though; 4 for 5.

(no mention of what positive/negative has on traits)

Topgear1: You have to be Japanese, silly!
Has 2 O's and 3 A's. So does "food banana". He's just hungry and could use some potassium. I'm going to count this; 5 for 6.

CryoGuy: "Is that an alien I see in the distance? No really? Why dont you believe me?
Interesting - first sentence had A's only - second sentence had an O and an A - third sentence had only O's. Obviously started off life as an A; then was half A/half O; now is fully O. Even the scientific journals can't explain it. I can. Obviously, he was so intent upon changing from "Earnest, creative, sensible" (which is kind of cold, hence CryoGuy) to a warmer "Agreeable, sociable, an optimist" - that he changed his blood type from A to O through sheer force of will. 6 for 7.

Even with this strong evidence for JBYYP being completely true and scientific, I'm going to withhold judgement for now - there may be other ways to interpret the data.

GE&H
 Raveninns
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 6:48:17 PM
I chose 1 but I'm actually a 4. But I'm A negative, so does this make the negative traits a positive and the positives negative?

I can't get anything right today, bizarro world

Cheers, Raven
 Tandabat
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/20/2007 9:41:51 PM
I have to say, I chose some from each column.

I am wondering if this was thought of by the same people that tried to do Blood type dieting. What you got to eat depended on your blood type. I was supposed to eat a lot of meat. I'm B.

Next question, what about the Rh factor and the more rare blood types? I mean, this only works for 95% of the world. What about the other 5% that have a very rare blood type?
 mark121
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 10:52:09 PM
I chose option 4 and I'm A+. I'm not japanese so I guess I had a 25% chance of being right.

FireDragon!
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/21/2007 11:58:50 AM
This is freaken cool, I'm gonna do some reading on this topic...
 simpull
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/21/2007 1:38:43 PM
Did google and read up a bit on this, appears it began a earnest research in reaction to a perceived racist (anti-asian) sentiment in western research. Just like astrology (thanks to OP for making the connection) a number of folks invest much more significance in such quaint ideas than others. Plus, it's just another way to divide and conquer for consumer marketeers. Bloodlines, "nobel blood" and heredity have long been regarded as crucial, well before modern science even learned what makes it red.

Diversity isn't as frequently found or celebrated in Japan as in the US, so it's interesting to see popular interest in this, even though the lines are soft and only acknowledge 4 different categories.

I put my blood type in my profile to poke gentle fun at the many "objective" factors we try to balance in pursuing the hugely subjective choice of mates. Plus, mine is rare (>1%) and I want some damn kind of hook to distinguish myself from all the other fish in the kettle.
 god_of_rock
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/6/2009 12:41:52 PM
sounds a bit like "phrenology" - once believed to be 'valid science', now discredited

that you could tell someone's intelligence, personality traits, etc. by the shape of their skull.

was used to promote the idea that certain races were 'superior' to others.

sounds like hocus-pocus to me; about as 'scientific' as astrology?
 Vancer
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/12/2009 6:10:51 PM
How do I find out my bloodtype?
I don't know and don't wanna go ask my doctor.
Is there a trick to knowing by looking at my Health Card number or Driver's License number?
Honestly, no idea.
 Vancer
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/13/2009 12:02:20 AM
That's a good idea about giving blood, cautiousluv. I bet they'll do that here to.

I didn't want to ask my doctor because he is the type to respond with...
"sigh... Shaun you really should know this at your age. Why don't you know this?"
Is very embarrassing because I am sure I've been told in the past. I just can't remember.
 Excellent_Guy
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/1/2009 4:56:58 PM
If you've never lived in Japan - I have extensively - you just probably would not get it but blood types are not all bunk. Getting the wrong type during a transfusion can endanger your life. Blood types do have differences. Try reading the book Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type which was written by an American doctor. You may be surprised.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2011 5:12:28 PM
#1 fits me the best. My blood type is O+.

It's like offering the general public either a really nice 30-min cake mix or a bowl of razorblades for afternoon snacks and they consistently pick the razorblades just because you have to bake the cake.
Hey, don't blame the general public, just because they choose the easiest option. Next you'll be telling me that people's obesity is because people would rather buy junk food, than cook healthy meals for themselves.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 7:44:22 AM
"By the way, Phrenology 'is a theory which claims to be able to determine character, personality traits and criminality on the basis of the shape of the head'. Is that the same as reading someone's blood type?"-scorpiomover

Easier to get a blood transfusion than a head transplant. Right now looking for head donor, yep, type B+ here, and I can't believe I actually wrote that, but couldn't pass it up, so at least now I have an excuse...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Japanese blood-type theory of personality