Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Mike Huckabee quote - what do you think?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lario
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Mike Huckabee quote - what do you think?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
When I saw the subject of this thread I wondered if was going to be a "Let's all slam God and Religion" thread. Sure looks like that's what it is too.

I haven't read the books or speeches those quotes come from. Taken alone, quotes often imply a meaning other than that which was intended. That being said, I can see where Mr. Huckabee is coming from with the "Integrity left to define itself becomes evil" idea. People will and do choose their own standards as to what is right and wrong. Our society shows that to be true over and over again. What was formerly unnatural or immoral behavior is perceived as "natural for me".

My mind is certainly not made up as to who will get my vote for president, but it most likely will not be a democrat or republican. I too do not wish for the government try and legislate faith (or the lack of it). However, I will not avoid or fear any candidate just because they publicly profess their faith (excepting those who develop faith just in time elections). I wonder if any of those who have already responded to this thread will.
 Joe Kule
Msg: 7
This is my "two cents"
Posted: 12/23/2007 5:42:47 AM
What I find "deeply disturbing" is that so many will offer their "two cents" and expound on a topic like this on a website like Plentyoffish.com There isn't one candidate who "trips my trigger!" If there REALLY was a "leader" in the pack, he or she would be running as an Independent candidate and NOT as a Republican or a Democrat. This country needs a viable 3rd party...period! If the candidate ever comes along that can tap into the HUGE base of equally frustrated Republicans and Democrats and address their concerns... Watch Out! If you think your vote matters that much, I suggest you keep a coin in your pocket and give it a flip or two as you go into the election booth on Election Day.
 Lario
Msg: 9
view profile
History
This is my two cents
Posted: 12/23/2007 8:17:27 AM
Joe Kule said,
If there REALLY was a "leader" in the pack, he or she would be running as an Independent candidate and NOT as a Republican or a Democrat. This country needs a viable 3rd party...period!

Now I agree with that absolutely.
 flyguy51
Msg: 11
Mike Huckabee quote - what do you think?
Posted: 12/23/2007 5:51:18 PM

Some even hypocritically place Islam in a pedestal despite their hate for God.

This can easily cut both ways. I don't put Islam on a pedestal, but I do use it as a mirror to point out hypocrisy of dogmatic beliefs. Some of the most paranoid anti-Islam people I personally know are evangelical Christians. They rebuke the anti-Semitic rants of Muslims while being completely oblivious to how hauntingly similar their anti-Muslim rants sound.

Sadly, I have no cause to believe Huckabee is any different in that respect.
 designingwoman
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2007 9:52:56 PM
Frackabee is a whack job!!!
 drink till shes hot
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/24/2007 12:26:07 PM
I wouldn't really worry about Huckabee, I mean if you look at what he says... its all pretty much backwards. Guys like him will always attract a certain crowd but never enough to actually be serious... well maybe if it were the 18th century then he MIGHT have a chance!
 Jerry aka Krash
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2007 1:30:43 PM
I am not a great fan of his, but I think he wasn't talking about those who practice or presume to practice religion. He says those Educated in Religion. Many times people, like myself for instance, don't practice any religion, because we are educated in religion. It really gives me and them an open mind and less chance of hypocrisy and narrow mindedness. Religion and Politics, especially in our country of such diverseness Do Not Belong In the Same Bed. Enough Said...smile...
 Born2bewild62
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2007 10:02:05 PM
Everyone choosing their own standards? Could Mr Huckleberry be talking about the dating game?

JF
 RDtoo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2007 11:36:35 PM
I find it pretty amusing that some on here seem to think that Christians are in favor of a marriage between Church and State..lol. The last thing we need is a government run Church. Believe me Christians do not want the Government telling us what to believe.

It is also pretty amusing reading posts that think they know what Huckabee actually meant and are far off target.
 designingwoman
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 5:31:57 PM
My cousin called him Hucksterbee!!
 TEXASBANDIT
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/21/2008 8:00:34 PM
If you only knew how biblical laws play apart of our life already, you'd be amazed. This country was founded on biblical laws. I believe if your comfortable with getting things your way, of course you would oppose any change. But nothing in life is ever guaranteed, except change. The more you lack the ability to change, the more frustrated you get, and you wonder why so many always complain, it's the ending result of denial and trying to hold on to the past. Learn to flow or go with it. Because just like you and hundred of thousands of others, you can't stop change. But instead move out of the way and allow the next generation to take it's turn in complaining ,about the inevitable, in which cannot be hualted or evaded none the less changed, so grab a ticket hurry in line and wait your turn to complain, about change. Although there might be some truth in what jed451 Msg51 said , I want reiterate on the basis that out of the blue it'll trigger some one or maybe two to start to complain.
 TEXASBANDIT
Msg: 30
Question
Posted: 1/21/2008 9:08:11 PM
Sure when a person talks about changing the constitution to reflect his own religious views, obviously the clause of establishing a state religion isn't at risk.

No wait, that's exactly what huckabee is talking about, not just religion effecting his own decisions, but making permanent changes to the Constitution to reflect his own personal religious beliefs.
I think not, Why would there be a need to change the constitution if it was all ready inspired on biblical moral and ethics, and can be proven, there's nothing more he could do to improve it.
 TEXASBANDIT
Msg: 33
Question
Posted: 1/22/2008 8:58:00 AM
TexasBandit wrote~~~^^^Why would there be a need to change the constitution if it was all ready inspired on biblical moral and ethics, and can be proven, there's nothing more he could do to improve it.

Check out these excerpts from a January 19, 2007 article on Huckabee in the New York Times:

...Speaking to a not-particularly religious crowd near Detroit on Monday, before the Michigan primary, he slipped into an argument to amend the Constitution to ban abortion and same-sex marriage, “so it’s in God’s standards, rather than try to change God’s standards.”

“Does it mean that the Constitution does not measure up to God’s standards? Is the Constitution anti-God?” asked Ted Olsen, an influential online commentator for an evangelical standard-bearer, Christianity Today. “Honestly, I’m thinking that this quote probably cost Huckabee more evangelical votes than it won him.”

By Friday morning, Mr. Huckabee had backed away from his comments, saying in an interview with CNN that he understood the Constitution as a “secular document” and had described his support for those amendments “a little more awkwardly than I have in the past.”

More from the same NYT article on Huckabee:

Some evangelical observers say they marvel at Mr. Huckabee’s knack for making even the most conservative tenets of orthodox Southern Baptist faith, about creation, the accuracy of the Bible or gender roles, sound downright moderate when he is speaking in television interviews or at public debates.

“He is like Houdini,” said Oran P. Smith, president of a Christian conservative group, the Palmetto Family Council, admiring Mr. Huckabee’s recent defense of an official Southern Baptist statement about the family that he endorsed eight years ago.

The statement said, “A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband,” and “serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation.”

Many Southern Baptists understand that to mean that just men are meant to occupy certain leadership roles like church pastor.

But in a debate last week in Myrtle Beach, S.C., Mr. Huckabee said the position required no subordination at all. It meant, he said, both husbands and wives “mutually showing their affection and submission as unto the Lord.”

“Biblically,” he added, “marriage is a 100-100 deal. Each partner gives 100 percent of their devotion to the other.”

Mr. Smith said, “It was masterful.” He was “still struggling,” Mr. Smith added, to understand just how Mr. Huckabee had put together his answer.
(Bold emphasis added by me.)

But like I said above, I'd love to see him get his party's nomination!

If Mr. Huckabee sees a time for change , then I see him in no difference than the founding forefather, who made the greatest change, and I'm sure when they did it, it was not very popular in those days either, but we look at it now and Marvel over it, as a iconic document known as the Constitution of the United States of America and thank them for implementing it, I 've said it before and I'll say it again that our laws were founded on biblical morals and ethics and because of the Constitution proves to be at the highest standards, and I believe when the Constitution was wrote there's a reason why things were said in implementing the Constitution and words do have meaning, you've stated (Bold emphasis added by me.) at the end of your statement above. Now allow me to present mine..............................~~~^^^implemented by spiritual insight and visioned by the Four Fathers of our Nation, and with the unseen blessing of God ONLY IN MY OPINION, ^^^~~~in the best intres of our NATION created the biblical foundation of the Constitution of the United States, that has become an iconic document for many of us, And although some people may argue that it wasn't founded on biblical laws and morals, but I believe that it was, but the four fathers knew and foreseen issues with this and didn't bear it on the people, because they knew that there is not one who is perfect, but did implement the guide lines of the Constitution to form a more perfect union, or why would the following been documented, ~~~^^^^The actual constitution~~~^^^"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; BUT NO RELIGIOUS TEST SHALL EVER BE REQUIRED as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States," .............. and so why do you think this statement was made? I personally think just like we've all been given free will by our heavenly father neither did the fore fathers find it necessary to take it away, which resulted in the separation in church and state, but non the less build on biblical laws. Marriages ordained between a man and woman.Having the liberties to work and enjoy the fruits of your own labor, and many many more, morals and ethics of the highest standard not based on man, but by God sense the very beggening.
but after a closer look there or somethings that does go against Gods morals and laws that could stand some adjustments, in our current time which falls under the guidlines between a man and a woman which is a good thing........being fruitful and multiplying is what God said............anything other than a man and a woman can't live up to this........I've never seen a man and a man be able to multiply nieghter have I seen it in a relationship between two wemon............Now that's being bold, but if the truth hurts, no one ever said that the double edge sword would be painless.
 MermaidSari
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2008 1:05:17 PM
What do I think?

I think forum participants here do not welcome republican opinion as much as liberal opinion. It is ironic considering liberals are suppose to be more tolerant.

Christianity is rooted in the Republican party as is Christianity rooted in our nation...from its earliest creation. A nation that was 'once' built to reflect...

'one nation under god.'

If you espouse the philosophy of 'to thine own self be true' -- then what does altruistic leadership mean to you personally?
 TEXASBANDIT
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/22/2008 3:10:09 PM
What do I think?

I think forum participants here do not welcome republican opinion as much as liberal opinion. It is ironic considering liberals are suppose to be more tolerant.

Christianity is rooted in the Republican party as is Christianity rooted in our nation...from its earliest creation. A nation that was 'once' built to reflect...

'one nation under god.'

If you espouse the philosophy of 'to thine own self be true' -- then what does altruistic leadership mean to you personally?
I don't know if your comment was directed to me or not , so please excuse me if it wasn't. but here's what I think about the word you mention ..................Free will ,but also a set of laws to live by, key word being welfare state, and in there effort of being responsibility for the individual and social welfare of its citizens , I think they stumbled on some of the oldest morals and ethics standards known to man............the word of God......some times known as a double edge sword.......and I believe that because some things that go against Gods words and do not have an acute effect ,man has ignored them, and fell into his own pleasures not taking into consideration of the consequence, that's why some laws exsist that you may not understand and or why some should be inforced to protect those from them selves.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Mike Huckabee quote - what do you think?