Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women who smoke are far more promiscuous.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 markus
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Women who smoke are far more promiscuous.Page 1 of 45    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
This is well known in the dating industry that women who smoke are more promiscuous and many sites try and target women based on that especially adult dating sites. Even on this site women who smoke are 30% more likely to be looking for intimate encounters or message such users than expected.

I wented to look at the demographics of the site and broke it out by marital status/smoking. Some pretty huge differences here.

38% of single women smoke with an average age of 30
48% of married women on the site smoke with an average age of 34
58% of women who selected "living together" smoke with an average age of 28
34% of divorced women on the site smoke with an average age of 45
44% of seperated women on the site smoke with an average age of 40

In the general population in the US only 24% of adults are smokers.

Looks like women who smoke are more likely to cheat, and the real shocker is "living together". Not sure if women assume that means boyfriend girlfriend or just room mates.
 Valpo26
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Women who smoke are far more promiscuous.
Posted: 12/25/2007 1:27:18 AM
Maybe the non-smokers are already in happy relationships and therefore not looking for more?
 nipoleon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 2:01:45 AM
By the way girls, I smoke too.
No prejudice here. Come on over, we'll smoke'm up like a house afire.
All the smokers need to get together and all the non-smokers should get with each other and the world would be a happy place.
 Cissy321
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 3:33:21 AM
You Sir are a big joke i am a smoker and was with the same man for 33 yrs and never once did i look at another guy, i am divorced for over 5 yrs and guess what no man has jumped these bones why cuz i want it all the sex is great but not if its just sex got it???
I want to make love and be loved so till then i can and do take care of my needs.
 ren83
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/25/2007 3:38:05 AM
I don't really like the last grouping of data. It doesn't necessarily mean anything. Drawing the conclusion that "women who smoke are more likely to cheat" from that data seems erroneous. Wouldn't many of the married cheaters actually write "single" in their profiles?

However, that first little bit "women who smoke are 30% more likely to be looking for intimate encounters or message such users than expected" sure speaks volumes to me. It also follows along with my personal lifetime of observations. I would have to believe that the thread title is almost true. Rather than "Women who smoke are far more promiscuous." It should be, "Women who smoke are far more likely to be promiscuous."

I do not think that smoking causes promiscuity in any way. Instead, I would suspect that there is a common personality trait that encourages smoking and promiscuity. Perhaps it's a willingness to try new experiences. Perhaps it's a desire to be a rebel. Perhaps it's someone who doesn't have good self-control or gives into social pressures. Or it could be that smokers are more likely to go to bars where they feel more sexual pressures and has nothing to do with their personalities at all. It would be interesting to see a study that could pinpoint the link rather than falsely link smoking directly to promiscuity.

Finally, it always amazes me how defensive people get when stats say something bad about them. Stats are a generalization. If a stat says that a smoker is 30% more likely to be promiscuous, it doesn't say that "you are promiscuous because you smoke." We don't need to hear the thousands of cases of "I smoke, but I'm not promiscuous." Nobody ever said you were! Instead, it's only saying that if I had to pick out a person who was promiscuous without knowing anything else about them, I should pick a smoker because it increases my chances of being right.
 nipoleon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 3:58:35 AM
I think this is another example of the title of the thread being taken the wrong way.
Perhaps it should be " Promiscuous women are more likely to be smokers ".
Does that sound any better ?
Or will there be some girls who take offence and say " I've been promiscuous all my life and I've never smoked " !
 Ur Xoxo
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/25/2007 4:13:46 AM

This is well known in the dating industry that women who smoke are more promiscuous and many sites try and target women based on that...

Well, looks like the mind police have reared their ugly heads.

While it may be true that the dating industry believes women who smoke are more promiscuous, target them and therefore increase their bottom line. Just because they increase revenues does not make their suppositions correct. Let me be perfectly clear, it is only a guess, in my estimation.

The only way it could be scientific fact is if they randomly picked thousands of smoking, anonymous women and surveyed them. Even so, there is a 3-4 % margin of error.

Even on this site women who smoke are 30% more likely to be looking for intimate encounters or message such users than expected.

All of your supposed facts do not include non-smoking statistics. Since you claim to be comparing promiscuity between users and non-users don't you think stats from both sides are in order?

Furthermore, if this is a fact gathered through your access as a mod... tisk, tisk, tisk.

Greatly offended,
And I don't so, easily.
Not,
Ur Xoxo.
 Ur Xoxo
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/25/2007 4:23:08 AM

This is well known in the dating industry that women who smoke are more promiscuous and many sites try and target women based on that...

Well, looks like the mind police have reared their ugly heads.

While it may be true that the dating industry believes women who smoke are more promiscuous, target them and therefore increase their bottom line. Just because they increase revenues does not make their suppositions correct. Let me be perfectly clear, it is only a guess, in my estimation.

The only way it could be scientific fact is if they randomly picked thousands of smoking, anonymous women and surveyed them. Even so, there is a 3-4 % margin of error.

Even on this site women who smoke are 30% more likely to be looking for intimate encounters or message such users than expected.

All of your supposed facts do not include non-smoking statistics. Since you claim to be comparing promiscuity between users and non-users don't you think stats from both sides are in order?

Furthermore, if this is a fact gathered through your access as a mod... tisk, tisk, tisk.

Greatly offended,
And I don't so, easily.
Not,
Ur Xoxo.
 Ron9
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/25/2007 4:44:15 AM
(bangs head on desk)

NOW ......... you tell me.

I’ve been busting my fanny on my way to STOP SMOKING and you tell me all the lubbin girlzzz are on the other side.
 Chrysostom
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/25/2007 5:10:47 AM
And this, O' august admin, is why crowdsourcing the forum threads for deletion is a bad idea. Democracy empowers the ignorant. If I were their high school math or English teacher, I wouldn't have given most of them passing marks to graduate.
I have to strongly resist the urge to start scathingly lampooning the droves of... ah... "intellectually struggling" who've shown their true colors by lackluster information literacy skills in miscomprehending basic statements

Just because something is purported to be “well known in the dating industry” it does not mean it is factual. I take umbrage to your rude proclamation that “WOMEN WHO SMOKE ARE FAR MORE PROMISCUOUS” and I am offended by this post.

Faulty market research is not known for lasting very long. Try reading the whole thread next time.

HAHA! This is a really silly stat. A habit is just that. It has nothing to do with sexual promiscuity.

Coming from a silly individual who'd apparently rather stick her head in the sand rather than read.

NOT FAIR!....and NOT TRUE!...and shame on you!!!

That's nice. Did mommy and daddy finally teach us to stop lying on the floor, banging our hands and feet to get our point heard?

Needless to say, OP, you are stereotyping, even if it's with statistics (And most of us know that statistics can be rigged to say whatever you want them to say.)

The OP is not stereotyping. You are, with your faulty logic. Over 38 million people have AIDS worldwide according to statistics, but I could just be an America-hating liberal with a gay agenda trying to rig the number, right? Conservation of linear momentum works 100% of the time, but I might just be a god-hating evolutionist blasphemer rigging that statistic too, right?

And I do not believe that this study or any study is based on reality only skewed to get the answer the person doing the research is looking for.

So I guess you never take prescription drugs either, right, since the pharmaceutical companies are profit-driven, too untrustworthy to be taking their chemicals, doctoring every and any studies?

You Sir are a big joke i am a smoker and was with the same man for 33 yrs and never once did i look at another guy

Good for you. You failed critical reading 101.

i don,t smoke but this sounds ridiculous!Where do ppl get these ideas from?

Maybe from unfettered access to filter every bit of data that's ever passed through the POF program?

I don't really like the last grouping of data. It doesn't necessarily mean anything. Drawing the conclusion that "women who smoke are more likely to cheat" from that data seems erroneous.

Smokers being more likely to cheat is not drawn from the last set of data. Though I admit, I would like to see this market research.

Promiscuous women are more likely to be smokers ". Does that sound any better

That would be an unproven assumption though.

We have more breakdown than that from research psychologists alone. Granted, it would be nice to see some better citation. Margin of error is determined a function of sample size to total population; it is not absolute.

That's the dumbest statement I ever heard. It's akin to saying men who drink beer cant get an erection.

F in analogous reasoning for you.

These numbers show a certain degree of correlation between two different factors... CORRELATION DOES NOT MEAN CAUSAL EVIDENCE

No causal connection was made in the OP. Only a correlational one. The people you SHOULD be yelling this at are those I've cited above.
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/25/2007 5:20:44 AM
Ok... I can't resist... there is an old saying that this thread is just begging for... and I am typing this long preamble so what I'm about to say doesn't appear on my profile... LOL

It is said: "A woman that will put a cigarette in her mouth will put anything in her mouth."

Does anyone here realize that Marcus is just trying to get a rise out of people?
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/25/2007 5:43:22 AM
To aprince- lets be fair you can say that about men as well hmmm. Cigarettes do kind of resemble a .....
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/25/2007 5:49:09 AM

lets be fair you can say that about men as well hmmm. Cigarettes do kind of resemble a ...

I suppose you could but I dont have those thoughts about men... LOL Now, a good looking woman with a cigarette does, on occasion, cause that little saying to float to the front of my rather simplistic mind!
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/25/2007 6:50:48 AM
Now I've seen everything...

Stereotyping and generalizing from admin. Perfect.
 RVA916
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:11:30 AM
Hmm...interesting. I'm 52 yrs old and have smoked more on than off since I was 13. I've been divorced nearly 18 yrs and have never lived with anyone since. I can't figure out how being a smoker makes me 'more promiscious' or more likely to 'cheat'. I'm impressed with your percentages (even more impressed that anyone would take such time and interest in such a thing), but I'm thinking it's more of a precieption of woman smokers. Personally, when I'm in a relationship, I'm loyal. There were some years when, if not in a relationship, I'd sleep around. However, I found that to be detrimental to my own self worth and stopped doing that. These days, if I'm alone, then that's the way it is until I meet someone special. Meanwhile, where are my damn cigarettes??
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:25:07 AM
I love to beat the odds.

I don't smoke and I am extremely promiscuous.
 BDRT
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:51:31 AM
And in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? Most men who are fishing here who filter out women who smoke, aren't going to care if those who do smoke are promiscuous or not. And for those who don't filter out smokers, I highly doubt they are going to say, Oh, she smokes therefore she's promiscuous. It may be that the stats are true (I have no idea), but it doesn't follow that every woman smoker you meet is going to be promiscuous. I'm not sure what purpose these stats serve other than to get people's shorts in a bunch.
 Chrysostom
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:54:41 AM

Gee Willikers Chrysostom! Aren't you L*I*T*E*R*A*T*E! Please regale us with more of your polysyllabic venting.

AliBabble, thanks for pointing it out. I'll try to use smaller words in the future so as not to confuse you, or anyone else who struggles with a 5th grade education.
 Aleyrebel
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:55:17 AM
I use to smoke and quit in 2005. That just seems ridiculous to me. I was married when I smoked and practically a nun. So that wasn't true of me at all.
Maybe they assume that since smoking is not longer politically correct, that if they still do, they are willing to push the envelope or break the norms more. Who knows. But statistics can be skewed to say anything you want, so unless you know the peramiters for the survey, and how they picked the participants you can't know if it means anything. Even then, the results of any survey are iffy, and need to be considered with a grain of salt.
 ForeverLong
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:56:03 AM
I'm sure some valid research has been done showing that smokers, in general are more likely to take risks with their health and other things. But that does not mean most smokers are promicuous.
 cotter
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 8:34:19 AM
LMAO ... Merry Christmas Admin ...

I used to smoke and I'm not promiscuous. Hmmm ... maybe that's why I quit ... so I wouldn't be promiscuous?

I know a lot of women who do smoke and none of them are promiscuous either.

Sure adds new meaning to the question: "Do you smoke after sex?"

Answer: "I don't know ... I never looked."

Pandy
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/25/2007 9:18:41 AM
I will remind those on this thread that name-calling and personal attacks violate POF forum rules and will not be tolerated.

Discuss the topic, not the OP

Pandy
 *mandrake*
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/25/2007 9:32:39 AM
Wow! Nice job Markus.

Those stats are incredible. I have no doubt there is a degree of accuracy to them. I'm just curious how other sites use this information to "exploit" smokers?

well, anyway, with all that smoke, where's the mirror?

oh, I need a left handed sky wrench.
 ForeverLong
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2007 9:37:30 AM
da leafs, So, you are saying that 30% is a small percentage??? Also, do most you people think that the bigfish, who created this site and runs this site doesn't know what he is talking about? Some of your arguments are just silly and don't make any sense.
 DemonLeather
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/25/2007 10:30:03 AM
I like Girls that smoke for one reason... They don't give me crap when I do..
Girls who DON'T smoke..
"Eww that stinks,.. put that thing out!"
"Your breath smells like an ashtray"..
"Your clothes smell like cigarettes!"...
"If you HAVE to do that nasty thing,.. GO outside!" (usually raing, cold, or a hurricane in process)

So,. comon all you nicotine junky women! Let's swap some "nicospit"!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women who smoke are far more promiscuous.