Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > is everyone over 30 taking antidepressants?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Boomstrike
Msg: 8
is everyone over 30 taking antidepressants?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
It sounds like you are going through a situational depression, in which case you should try to come of them eventually. I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to not isolate. Get out there and try to have some fun with friends and family. Join some clubs or start hobbies where you can meet people and make new friends. Good diet and exercise helps too.
 naeco
Msg: 13
is everyone over 30 taking antidepressants?
Posted: 12/26/2007 6:33:37 AM
Nope, don't take them. Did for a little while, but they didn't seem to really help much. As my father put it once, they kind of put your mood somewhere in the middle - you don't feel quite so low, but it kind of keeps you from feeling excited, too, and I found him to be right. Of course, it could be different for someone else.

I don't know how it is for women, but guys will find that some antidepressants will cause you to have sexual problems, too. When I took Paxil, although sex was fine, most of the time I COULD NOT reach orgasm. Didn't matter much to the wife (now ex) because it lasted longer, but it was so frustrating for me. After a little while that was enough reason for me to stop taking it.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/26/2007 7:04:38 AM
No, not everyone over 30 takes anti-depressants, and a lot of people under 30 do take them. I don't take them.

For those of you saying that a "drug is a drug," though, it is easy to have that attitude when you are not familiar or do not know someone who has chronic, chemically based depression.
Many people are depressed for a reason(s) and learn to deal with problems and losses, but for many others, it isn't a matter of pulling themselves out of the depths of despair. My mother has battled this type of depression her whole life, and anti-depressants have given her some semblance of normalcy--now that she is 82 and getting a little senile.

To the OP, though, you need to get yourself off the drugs. Losing people whom one loves is something that we all go through. It is never easy, but by taking anti-depressants, you are not even allowing yourself to mourn and grieve for those who are dead. When you start to wean yourself, the pain comes back because you have never dealt with it.

This is common in US society--we refuse to allow ourselves to mourn our losses. Instead of getting grief into and then out of our systems, we cover it up.
 becca210
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/26/2007 7:41:43 AM
No...not everyone over 30 is on them...but God knows there are some that should be.
I've had friends/co-workers that just made everyone miserable with their issues because they wouldn't/couldn't take an antidepressant.
I was put on Prozac many years ago ..after my dad died and my boyfriend was dying.
Like some others that posted.......I cried all the time...and I hated it.
I was a perfect Prozac candidate.....kept me from mood swings with no side affects.
I came off Prozac several years ago when a major diet caused my doctor (same one) to change the brand I took. Now I take Cymbalta...which was prescribed for me during my
spinal battle for something other than depression. I dropped anything else and am fine.
But go 3 days without...and I am so mushy/emotional I can't stand myself.
I totally agree that post #4 is without a clue and if she reaches my age without some preventive medications.........then I would be checking her doctor's credentials. There have been too many breakthroughs in medicines not to pay attention to what is available.
Sometimes trial and error is necessary...but trust your doctor.
Becca
 mattc472
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/26/2007 8:50:17 AM
Antidepressants are not dope. If anyone out there knows a little bit about anatomy, or physiology, they would know that antidepressants help individuals reabsorb seratonin into the synapses in their brain. Some people have naturally bad re-uptake of seratonin, while some people damage their ability through drug or alcohol abuse. Ectasy is the worst at this, so i have heard. Its literally like playing russian roulette. So, like a previous post said, if you dont need them, I really dont think they do all that much for you. However,if you do, They may make all the difference in the world. So remember kids... too much of this , may lead to problems with this
 ladyc4
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/26/2007 9:00:50 AM
What I want to know is if ANYONE that has posted to this forum is a properly trained and fully,currently licensed practicing psychiatrist?

Just off the top of my head I know of a few both old and new anti depressants being used to treat idiopathic pain, fibromyalgia,smoking cessation, mild brain injury situations....plus some other things mentioned by previous posters( IBS, MS)

But oh, wait...unless one is in perfect health, they have no business dating or being in relationships, right? OK we can even drop the word health...unless you and your life are perfect,you might as well resign to being imperfect alone. Everyone in datingland is wearing red flag glasses, dontcha see?

To the OT,
I'm quite sure that not everyone over 30 is taking anti depressants. And yes I'm sure some drs over prescribe them. I'm also sure there are many who would benefit, even for conditions other than depression,but are afraid of being somehow stigmatized by taking a "happy pill". Better narcotic pain meds, steroids, etc...antidepressant? Perish the thought!
Cindy O
 rajhaa
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 9:26:56 AM
NO!.....not everyone!...I`m taking a Natural one, that has raving reviews......Keeps one thinking and Feeling Great!....and NO side effects!....Yeah.
Contact me and I`ll share it with ya.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 9:35:15 AM
There is a difference between someone that has a physiological chemical imbalance and remains on anti-depressants or other medication and someone that should have been taking meds temporarily and did not undergo the therapy that would allow him or her to maintain a productive primarily happy life without them.

Which category the OP falls into is something that only a trained psychiatrist can answer. I had a very serious illness in the spring. They had me on enough drugs while in the ICU and acute care to start my own pharmacy and when lucidity returned, I rejected the antidepressants because I didn't feel that the "happy pills" were working and they made me feel worse than I already did. I didn't kill anybody and felt like I was in a pretty damned good mood considering everything I had been through. For me, the antidepressants made me sort of psychotic, no thank you.

Depression is a physiological condition that is different than someone that is depressed. Too many people that are truly clinically depressed don't seek psychiatric attention and too many that are merely going through a blue phase are put on meds by doctors that go for the quick fix.

I have seen the problems created when people are either on meds they do not need or some type of c*cktail that is ill-advised and causes them to become someone with whom you no longer care to be associated. That said, there is a need for antidepressants but people should explore other solutions first to make sure that they are necessary.
 Miashakti
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 1:26:06 PM
Dear Woman of Substance.

From a tantric perspective, our bodies hold our memories cellularly, until we release or somehow transmute and heal them.

Anti depressants are like a band-aid...Take the band-aid off and the wound is still there...Until we heal it.

You may think, well, I'll just use the band-aid until the pain goes away....but the subconscious pain can erode the mental, spiritual, emotional and physical body..all the way to giving us cancer, or some other symptom of a compromised immune system.
And sometimes, that pain follows us right to the grave and maybe beyond.

Everyone carries pain...just watch the evening news...on any night..if you want confirmation of that.

I feel that we are all entitled to learn better ways to deal with the pain of our existence than to pop a pill...which does little in the long run to alleviate our distress.

I'm so sorry about your sisters....and your mom and dad.

I too, have had many devastating losses...Who alive hasn't....?And I barely take an Advil. You can get free of this chemical dependency...if and whenever you choose to,
javascript:smilie('')
I hope you reach out somewhere and deeply heal your grief.

Blessings and namaste

Jivana
 sarasotagal76
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/26/2007 1:30:12 PM
I am sorry for your loss. May I kindly suggest a possibility of some therapy. It ma taugh. You have to talk about your loss and you will know when you are ready to go off the pills. I know some people use some herbal supplements for a while after they quit antidepressants but they are much softer.....
 chrylann
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 3:32:10 PM
I was, and then I got divorced and didn't need them anymore.
 strengthnspirit
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 5:54:10 PM
Hi everyone and my opinion is against foriegn substances and the crazy push for sales of all things. I believe in you and everyone who has the most powerfull "tool" in the world. The human brain! Most all children learn the power of the mind during hotdog eating when they have their friends throwing up from telling them it is made of something nasty. Surgeons learn control, martial artists learn control ,soldiers learn control, gymnasts and other professionals learn to control their minds. Because of the ability of the television to control the mind that is why cigarettes advertisement was barred from television many years ago. Please, please,please understand you have the power to do "anything" with the right understanding and that you do not need to be hooked up on anything even some cell phone contracts. People and corporations love to have constant repeat business and they "play" the doctors, and the people with television adds for unatural substances that are so dangerous that the people who are being recruited as pressure to the doctors can't even obtain these "drugs" on their own. What about St. Johns Wort? Breathing in through the nose (3-5 second count) and out through the mouth(1st coice) or nose for the same duration and doing this always instead of when something gets broken. Once again I believe in everyones ability to control themselves .
 Lario
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 6:05:44 PM
I'm way over 30 and the only anti-depressants I've ever been on were Hawaiian Shirts. I'll notice that when I'm depressed, I start wearing gray. Then I'll go buy some bright colored Hawaiian shirts and it'll turn things right around. Now-a-days I wear orange socks every day and it keeps me from getting depressed.
 becca210
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/26/2007 9:02:52 PM
After reading the newest comments, I just felt the urge to speak further. I for one, am not hiding behind anti-depressants..just using them sensibly. Some of you are talking Xanax...and I'm not certain if that is classified as an anti-depressant.....but I know that it is highly addictive and abused by many....if one feels good.......3/4 is better.
I'm talking about drugs in combination with hormones....based on your history...with the aid of your doctor. And often some woman.....gets on her soapbox and is determined not to take them.......and drives her husband/family nuts because she is so mean!
Another use that I have experience with........my mom was prescribed a mild dose after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's....it helped to reduce the agitation. The difference it made in her behavior was just awesome.
I'm certainly not promoting use.......I'm just saying that often they can be the answer to many issues.
Having been married to a psychologist, I am certainly not discounting their worth.
However, there are many people that can not afford their services.
JMO........Becca
 kattalina
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2007 10:00:06 AM
i know several people who are on them, or who have been on and off, on and off. once upon a time, years back, a therapist i was seeing recommended them. but i said no, and i worked with other methods. i have been through "situational" depression, which means, there is a situation in your life that is causing the depression, like having to care take for an elderly parent or some other situation that disrupts your whole life. i do believe the times we are living in aren't easy either. so, for those who are interested, some of the things i have used (successfully) are flower essences, a spiritual mantra practice, and EFT (emotional freedom technique; i am a facilitator of this ). a good therapist can also be invaluable -- i happened to find one, and she is very, very good. i am not one for a lot of "talk" therapy; this therapist both listens and gives very practical strategies for whatever you are dealing with, so that you can get on with your life.
 Miashakti
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 7:30:56 AM
Yes, Classjewels

There is nothing 'wrong' with taking drugs for depression, or for anything else for that matter. The whoe right/wrong conversation
is a moralistic one, and who needs that? It's just an added stress factor.

I like to think we're all doing the best we can with the information we have. And we're all being fed the easy way out, every time we turn on the TV...Just take this little pill, and everything will be okay. Meanwhile your local Walgreens is looking like a Grand Hotel....The profit margin on these little pills is astronomical!javascript:smilie('')

Do you think it might be more empowering for your mom (or anyone with average intelligence) to learn that she could manage her emotional states on her own? To seek the ways, and make the effort? This is spiritual growth.javascript:smilie('')

The downside of any drug, is that in one way or another it weakens the individual,,,with residual toxicity that stays in the organs until detoxed, and with the attitude of "I'm dependent on this chemical to stay balanced", or to stay alive.

So, the question becomes a little different...if you want to really look at it.

Jivanajavascript:smilie('')
 blue_princess
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 4:56:12 PM
I am on Wellbutrin and Lexapro because I have major depression and PTSD. I am also in therapy and have gone to ACOA and other group therapy but therapy alone can't fix a chemical imbalance. I have low serotonin and the thing that caused my PTSD made permanent changes to my brain because I was so young when it happened.

One still had suicidal inclinations and another goes in and out of binge drinking -- or did until they finally decided to accept things as they are and DO something else.

No medication is perfect for everyone. It is hard to find the right dosage and combination. It took me almost 2 years to find something where the benefits outweighed the side effects. One medicine I was on made me gain 30 pounds in 6 months and it took me over a year to lose it all. And binge drinking is a different issue which is comorbid with depression, or whatever else was going on with your friend. It is true that medication by itself usually can't solve a problem that is not just temporary/situational but I do know it has helped me a lot with my moods. I would get so depressed that I was almost catatonic and stared into space, and couldn't concentrate enough to read or even watch TV. I would zone out and notice I missed 20-30 minutes of the show. I would stay in bed all the time instead of going out and doing anything. I also used to have panic attacks a lot more often than I do now. Medications are neither all bad or all good.
 blue_princess
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2008 7:45:01 PM
I had actually asked if I could try cymbalta because I have fibromyalgia, and I have a bad knee and degenerative disease in my left shoulder. But my doctor said Wellbutrin and Lexapro, which I am on now, should do the same thing. I still have to take anti-inflammatories and other medicines though to control the pain. IM I am very glad that you have found something to relieve your pain. Those headaches must have been awful.

And I am offended by the people who keep saying we are hooked on medications. Antidepressants are not even addictive. Some anti-anxiety medicines or sleeping pills might be IF TAKEN IMPROPERLY. But if you taper your dosage of anti-depressants appropriately when you start taking them, and then back down when you go off them you should not have major withdrawal problems except for a few really notorious drugs like Paxil or Effexor. Fortunately as I was being tapered off one med I was starting another so I didn't really have any of those problems that some people have had to deal with.
 Enchanted8808
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2008 8:44:55 PM
I take vitamin B as well as many other vitamins....no matter how concious one is of thier diet ..the apple we eat today does not have the same nutrirtional value as the ones our grandparetns ate....

I think we live in a society that is far to quick to reach to the psych community for help instead of places we once looked ...like to family friends and even clergy...maybe if more of us talked to one another we'd all he healthier and happier...

thanks for your post...
Linnie

virgogidget
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2008 11:29:20 PM
No im not on anything.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 199
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:10:49 AM
Not everyone takes them!!!! I have never taken them, never will. I have had a few emotional rough times and been suggested I do take them (normal stuff, to much homework, met a liar and moved for him, bills are due, things we need to face every day as adults, blah blah blah ) but I have found for me overall, a good workout, ride my horse or concentrate on other things, has been the "cure all". I know way to many people addicted to those kind of things...not to mention for me, I just cringe at putting chemicals in my body. I suppose they do help some people, and I have found in studies in some of my Psychology classes that they are recommended more than they should be. If they work for some people, that is great. The only thing I wish the ADA would come up with is a pill some people could take to make them stop lying. I know a guy I met on here that could use a few years worth...lol. If they came up with a pill like that, I bet a lot of society would not need anti depressants. To sum this up~ if they are working for some of you, that is great. I am just for myself all about all other options first. We all have our thoughts and views in things. I have close friends on them. For some they work, for others I see it as a pure addiction.
 EagleEric
Msg: 203
Posted: 9/2/2008 9:59:51 AM
Well I feel great all the time and alway have. I don't need any drugs and yet I've had a fair share of tragedy in my own life.

A little rain will fall in all lives, and how you choose to deal with it will determine just how happy you are. You might remember that we all are going to die and however long anyone lives is a lifetime.

You've created your own nitemare and you'll have to dig yourself out of it. I wouldn't recommend a psychiatrist because their role is treating mental illnesses with drugs. What you need is the help of a psychologist who is experienced dealing with grief, stress, and depression.

The Eagle
 CeU2
Msg: 205
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:08:54 AM
Grief takes a very long time to get over. It is similar to depression and if the medicine helps stay on it. Just my advice.
 degostyle
Msg: 206
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:11:02 AM
im 31 and have never been on any kind of pill and probably will never be on any. It gets lonely at times but I am the kind of person that turns everything into a positive so more times than not I always have a smile on my face. You only live once so make of it what you can
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 209
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:10:41 PM
Not on them and never have been. I've had leukemia, a child who is autistic, a husband with cancer, lost a business, got divorced etc.,

I'm an upbeat, strong and positive person.

I haven't ever even considered medication to get me through the things in life I have faced.

And I don't think I would.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > is everyone over 30 taking antidepressants?