Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ever Get Things You Don't Want For Christmas?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 1
Ever Get Things You Don't Want For Christmas?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It seems to happen to me every year. Is it wrong to be bummed out about it? Is it really the thought that counts? What if they didn't seem to put any thought into it? There are times when I feel like Elaine did in the episode of "Seinfeld" where she got mad because she didn't get the bench.

How do you deal with it? I usually don't say anything. I just don't like to see people waste money, and it does feel like you got cheated. I try not to expect anything, and I certainly don't want people to spend a lot of money.

I always end up feeling like I'm a Floridian who got an igloo.

And yes I tell people. I make lists. It doesn't do much good.

And yes, I should count my blessings, keep in mind the less fortunate.

But would you get a homeless person a stapler?

I'm not just talking about sig others either. Friends, family (my case), whomever.

Eeerrg.
 DoUCanoe
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ever Get Things You Don't Want For Christmas?
Posted: 12/25/2007 11:17:41 PM
For me socks are the perfect gift. You can never have too many socks. Am I easy or what?
 IMGOLD
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/25/2007 11:20:12 PM
I got a Red Felt Cowboy hat from my sister. Everyone said it reminded them of Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch.
It would not have been so bad except she's been saying for weeks: "I can't wait to give you your present". I was under the impression I would like it. LOL
 oldsingledadof3
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/26/2007 2:25:46 AM
Honestly, this is one of the reasons I dread Christmas and Birthdays. Like you, I'm not ungrateful that someone took the time to get me a gift, but I feel like I have a ton of useless "As Seen On TV" items, sweaters, ties, etc. laying around that won't get used. Thankfully, my family had a discussion (I can't remember how it came about) a few years back about gift giving. Now I get a cheeseball, crackers, and couple of loaves of home made banana bread and couldn't be happier...
 twoshadows
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/26/2007 7:34:46 AM
It happens every Christmas,because I'm a hard person to buy for. I just smile,say thanks,make a note of who gave it to me and start planning for who I can give it to the next year,
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/26/2007 7:39:47 AM
This is why gift certificates ROCK! Whether you buy one for a particular store, restaurant or mall...you can't go wrong.

Love giving and receiving gift certificates!
 Mystic Magic
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/26/2007 8:14:28 AM
I got three separates presents of Oscar de la Renta perfume and I only wear Bulgari. Thank goodness for regifting.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 10:16:03 AM
Happens all the time. One year, everyone got me bath stuff--sponges, bath gel, etc. This year it was cans of hot chocolate. I think four was the last count. I always say thanks and then take a bunch of stuff to work to pass around to co-workers.
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:06:33 PM
~~~~iwarrior~~~~ what would be a perfect gift for someone to give you????

We have kept our gift giving down to a low roar. We don't spend a lot of money but exchange gifts just to celebrate the day whether it be a birthday or Christmas. We always give a gift receipt just in case.

It is hard to buy gifts for my son. He is very fussy. Sometimes it is a hit and sometimes it is a miss. For instance, he loves hot sauce. It has to be the perfect hot sauce, however. So, we try to please him, but it is not always possible. Lately, we just tell him how hard it is to please him and give a gift receipt with the gift.

Some years, you strike it just right with one person. The next year you strike it right with someone else. I feel as if it is a crap shoot. You hit or miss.

As far as myself, I like everything. The things that I am fussy about, however, I make it very clear that only one particular brand will do. For instance, I only wear Red Door perfume. Everyone knows this. Even when I meet someone new and they compliment me on my perfume, I specifically state that I only wear Red Door as it is my signature scent. I usually go on to state that I get rid of any other brand of perfume that is given to me as I won't wear anything but Red Door. I think that clears up any misunderstandings. Funny thing though is that I haven't been dating anyone during the holidays for quite a few years now so I don't have a problem with unwanted gifts. tee hee
 Luv Karla
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:13:59 PM
Yes,I've received some pretty useless gifts over the yrs.

A got a shoehorn from an elderly relative when I was 14 yrs old.

I didn't even know what a shoehorn was,and it had to be explained to me.

Shoehorns make awful gifts!
 Thatguy67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 12:54:59 PM
I like getting gift cards. You get to buy your own things. A good way to avoid those "gifts from hell."

Speaking of which, some years ago, I got a box of Jello mix for Xmas. I guess that close family saw me eating jello for dessert or something.

Byrd
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 3:16:11 PM
My sister Denise, really came through for me bought me a couple sweatshirts, sweats, a couple long sleeve tee shirts, several short sleeve colorful tee shirts, and then a red and white tee shirt with a transfer on the frount with a picture of a little black and white dog..The caption says Red, White, and cute.. I wouldn't wear that shirt dead..And ya know with my luck she will visit and ask about that shirt..One year many years ago I got a shirt from my ex gal's mom with a christmas tree painted on it with all these sparkling things on it..Someone somewhere has a picture of me wearing it.
 ScantScandal
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/26/2007 6:40:47 PM
Oh Byrd, I understand those tears. Those cutesy t-shirts... arghhh. Put 'em on, pose for the pic and donate to GoodWill.

When your sis asks about that t-shirt tell her you spilled battery acid all over it. That it had a good life as a rag after that. Rinse and repeat with next year's "Red, white and cute" t-shirt.

It's the intention of the giver that I carry in my heart. Some people aren't creative in the gift giving department. The gift itself, it can be donated somewhere.

I find more and more that I am inclined to give food or chocolates. That can always be used when the person entertains.

jimi77
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/26/2007 7:00:17 PM
I get things that are not really me or to my likeing.. but whats improtaint to me is spending time with family and friends more now then when i was a kid..

In my famliy we give gag gifts as well so you never know what your instore for..this year someone got a chia pet.. to the delight of everyone around..
 Byrd
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 10:11:16 PM
I did get a marijuana leaf clock that don't work I was going to glue the hands for 4:20 pernmently everytime someone asks what time it is say "4:20" and light up..As long as they are high no one will know the difference..
 darkhorse723
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2007 10:14:18 PM
I once got a rear window defroster for my '68 Coronet. Months after I sold it. It's the thought that counts though.
 Jerseydred
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/27/2007 12:04:36 AM
I usually buy the things I really want myself. Then I tell everyone to get me something I wouldn't really care about. This year, I got myself a PS3, then told everyone get the games. (Give em exact titles so they can't go wrong,
 Random Entry
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 12:22:59 AM
LOL ^^^ I have a artificial lambswool seat cover on my computer chair. Making lemons into lemonade. It didnt fit my car and I felt too bad to give it up so it covers my ten motor heated massager unit.

OP, are you serious? At age 33 you buy whatever you want and you have the grace to accept those gifts given to you, well, gracefully. You say "Yes, I loved the purple polka dotted scarf with lighted tinkerbell tassles for night use" or whatever and move on. Like said above... regift!

I've only done it once myself but it was practical. I gave my sister the extra dictionary I got back in elementary school. The look on her face alone was priceless! Because it was heavy I think she thought it was something substanial. Maybe it almost makes up for the year she gave me a certificate for her to wash and wax my car -- which of course she never did. LOL

A lot of the shirts that I thought were gay looking I later tried and it wasn't so bad wearing yellow or lime green in public. I got more attention from women. I got some from guys, too, but you can't have everything in life your way, I guess.

My aunt last year gave me a scarf I can tell she made from cutting a fleece blanket down into strips and cutting the ends. I leave it on when I enter a place and I notice this style gets me more checked out by the women, too. Strange gift I thought at first but she was a home ec teacher for many years so she seems to know what she is doing.

Can you return the stuff for store credit? Ask for gift receipts to be included next year?

When in doubt donate it to a charity. Does your city have a salvation army or goodwill equivalent? Put the gifts into one of those anonymous gift exchange or charity deals. Some one out there will like what you don't. I know a lot of gifts do end up in "used" charity places, often there is nothing wrong with them but people get doubles of things.

If you're worried about people wasting money tell them next year you are only accepting $5 gifts. Problem solved about the guilt of them squandering their resources on nightlight-equipped scarves.

PS -- I am temporarily in need of a shoehorn. (I seriously am!) Otherwise I'd agree with you. I only got one complaint about a present I gave. I gave a winter car survival kit which was an ammo case painted almond color with car jumper cables, kit kats, starting fluid, emergency blanket, rations, candle, flashlight, etc. It all added up. I put some top notch technology in there. Not the flimsy disposable stuff you see in most "emergency kits". My sister told me it was a bad gift. Who knows? Maybe it was but if she had bothered to send me a list or talk to me more than once that year then she would have gotten better -- the one time she talked to me that whole year she complained about being stranded in her car with nothing to eat and no way to help the situation.

If I get money I always write back and tell them what I spent it on so they know I got myself something I wanted and that the money got used towards a gift item. Plus it may help them know my tastes better now that I think of it.

Now when I don't know what to get some one I get them something consumable. Candy, booze, or food. This way I know they at least use the item. But hey, I love even wool socks. I really do. One christmas, after seeing piles of past gifts go unused and even insultingly unopened, I gave my dad a bottle of scotch. Boy he outshone the Christmas tree that year!
 strollinbella
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/27/2007 6:41:16 AM
Being extremely allergic to many of the artificial scents out there, I have made it clear to my friends that I do not burn candles. Every year, until this year, I would receive at least one package of tea light candles and some pretty holders, and one beautiful, though very highly scented candle for the dining room table. All this for a lady who is not only allergic but who rarely entertains. Needless to say those candles have all been regifted.

I have one friend who consistently gives me two Christmas-themed dish towels and wash cloths every year.

And coffee mugs - don't get me started on that one!! I am the "proud" owner of nearly 30 coffee mugs, and only use one of them on a consistent basis!

There's a small table on the 2nd floor landing in my building on which residents leave magazines, trinkets, small appliances, and other items they don't want. I received 4 boxes of chocolates from clients this Christmas, put them on said table, and someone else has an extra treat to enjoy.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/27/2007 8:16:28 PM
OP, are you serious? At age 33 you buy whatever you want and you have the grace to accept those gifts given to you, well, gracefully. You say "Yes, I loved the purple polka dotted scarf with lighted tinkerbell tassles for night use" or whatever and move on. Like said above... regift!

You don't understand. This has been going on for SO many years. It gets old. It's not as if this happened only this year. I think since I was 12 , I've had this problem off and on.

I'm over it. It's just frustrating.

I actually try not to buy anything around Christmas so that people will buy me those things, and I've had a sort of cash crunch this year, so I was counting on a few things.

Oh well.

Can you return the stuff for store credit? Ask for gift receipts to be included next year?When in doubt donate it to a charity. Does your city have a salvation army or goodwill equivalent? Put the gifts into one of those anonymous gift exchange or charity deals. Some one out there will like what you don't. I know a lot of gifts do end up in "used" charity places, often there is nothing wrong with them but people get doubles of things.

Of course I can do that. But that's no fun is it? People get offended if they find out.
I could give it to charity, but again, they'll get offended if they found out that I gave it away.

If you're worried about people wasting money tell them next year you are only accepting $5 gifts. Problem solved about the guilt of them squandering their resources on nightlight-equipped scarves.

Oh that 'aint gonna happen. They don't listen. That's part of the problem.

Oh speaking of talcum powder , I got some too! Yes. I did.

I'm only half-serious. It's just annoying. I always get the feeling that when people get you bum gifts, they don't really care. They just got you something just to say they got you something. And it's a bummer, let's face it. It only comes once a year. You wanna open that wrap and find something that will make you smile.

I on the other hand, think I'm an excellent gift-buyer.
 PrimeWoman
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 8:24:03 PM
Secret pal from church gave me toiletry set...used. Ewww.
 Lick it Up
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/27/2007 8:28:03 PM
I know how you feel, I got a T-shirt from my family....Spider-Man.

I don't like Spider man, I've never hinted that I like spider-man, but I take it, say thank you, and I'll exchange it for a Batman T-shirt.

Herding Cats
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/27/2007 10:44:24 PM

What you're missing, OP, is that it is the spirit of giving that matters, not what you get. Be gracious and allow the person to delight in giving. Allowing them that is your return gift to them — and the fact that you were remembered should be the gift that matters the most to you.

It could be worse. Believe me.
 Random Entry
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 10:45:11 PM
With the talcum powder you put a teaspoon in each sock before you put them on during the summer or when you're going hiking or expect some serious sweating physical activity. Will keep your feet happier and drier.

That's what I do with all the talcum powder people give me. Talcum Powder = Foot Powder.
 Lotus_Flower
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/27/2007 10:51:17 PM
You have good taste, Mystic Magic - do you wear Bvlgari Femme? My friend wears it on her hair - smells great!

When my sis was married, she and her hub would return everything. And it's not like we gave them crap - they just shopped for something else. So rude - with people like that you just hand them the cash.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Ever Get Things You Don't Want For Christmas?