Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Kitchen Renovations      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SmartAlec
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Kitchen RenovationsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am in the process of gutting the kitchen for the second time now. Any one have any stories about what they would and wouldnt do again? Lighting, flooring types etc. I like the look of cork floors, have heard some things about bamboo, etc.
 edjoecdn
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 12/30/2007 1:43:11 PM
The first question that comes to mind now is ...... why a second time ???

The term "gutting". means different things to different people...

Gutting to me means ......
Stripping the room to it's outside walls and bringing the whole area up to modern day building codes. ( older homes which require the most work)
#1) up grade windows.
#2) min 5.5'' for insulation req'd by code currently ... ( R-20 ) .
#3) new wiring / electrical.. plugs, phone cable , networking & lighting and lighting controls..( dimmers ??? ) , task lighting, effect/ mood lighting, accent lighting...
#4) plumbing and heating / ventilation / exhaust considerations...
#5) specialty appliances ? water/ ice maker fridge ? gas stove ? cook top ? gas ? electric ?
#6) all the above comes after a cupboard layout is designed and acceptted... ( island ? move sink ? move dishwasher ? stove ? , etc, etc.
#7)Then it's "finishes" , wall, cieling, floor... & trim / woodwork .

If you want some info... check out CMHC's website which has great info with the basic as well as some technical info... then the city's website for homeowner .pdf downloads of booklets dealing with some ( not all ) of the various codes and regualtions required.

Plus it depends on your contracter.... he should be more than a nail banger / estimater! But you get what you pay for !!!

"They say " , kitchens and bathrooms are the renovations ( if done well and properly ) have the best return on resale / improvement value.

again that's my 2 cents.... so much for that gum ball : ...(
 SmartAlec
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 12/30/2007 6:04:52 PM
I understand cork floors are warm, resistant to water but not great for entrance ways, and Home Depot has the ones that just snap together like Purgo flooring- and understand they hold up well.

This kitchen is going to be gutted down to studs - outside north wall reinsulated, all redrywalled, new cabinets, lighting, flooring, countertops. Any thoughts on granite ? I dont have much counter so that is a consideration.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 12/30/2007 6:05:53 PM
what are subway tiles??
 SmartAlec
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 12/30/2007 7:16:27 PM
actually my interior designer (from POF I might add!) recommended creamy color with brown accent in the moulding which I may look at. I currently have bright white with white tiles and walls and moving away from modern as house was built in 26 and rest is original. The kitchen opens to rest of the house and I found bright white just didnt work for me due to age of rest of the house. I have also looked at maple and light oak with cupboards that go rest to the ceiling with type of crown moulding on top so there is no space between cupboards and ceiling. No more dust and stuff collecting!! ugh
 SmartAlec
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 12/30/2007 7:20:31 PM
Normal girl - yes dont have much counter so would love to do granite. Guess I have to price it out though. Darn thing revolves around money!!
 edjoecdn
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 12/31/2007 10:05:01 AM
One complaint I have heard about stone countertops and floors.... any glass tipped over or dropped .... is "toast" !

Even a juice glass accidently bumped and tiped over ...." smash" with glass everywhere!

The cork floors everyone is boasting about are quite nice, but there is cheap and there is quality ! Underlay is very important !!! Don't cheap out on it just cuase you can't see it. Underlay actually enhances the wear and cushioning / sound damping qualities of the flooring... expensive flooring and cheap underlay... a " no - no" !

Are the walls only 7'-6" high ? That whole cupboards to the cieling is so 70's but it would look better than 2" of space from the cieling. That is if the cieling is still level as the cupboards will be and square !

Pick the cupboards layout, then the species of wood, then the stain... these and the counter should be the base decisions... the rest is taste... keep in mind flexibility of changing with the times... painting walls versus a blah out of date kitchen cupboard style...

magazines, books... look at everything you can get your hands on and clip out what you like!

BTW,.... why are you doing it a second time ??? Don't make the same mistake and get locked into a "period" fashion of the moment type kitchen.
IMHO
 SmartAlec
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 12/31/2007 3:25:24 PM
good idea gypsywinds!! what do you think of the article in sunday paper on concrete countertops??probably as heavy as granite but less expensive? Oh and love the idea of an extra pull out counter space (like the old idea of a bread board?) perhaps over top of the dishwasher? where you lose a drawer anyway? hmmmmm... things are looking up! Ed jo - havent done the kitchen in over ten years now so it is time!! things are worn down and worn out! I am very tough on kitchens!
 SmartAlec
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 1/1/2008 11:17:58 AM
ok concrete is out then due to settling - old house - speculate settling. Back to granite idea! perhaps. Does granite scratch? or stain? Geez maybe I best go with something more durable. How I hate to replace things.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 1/2/2008 5:12:52 AM
nice feature but I have hot water heat so cant do it. Though I have central vac and another nice feature which I have seen is a kick plate under the counter that allows you to sweep directly into the central vac outlet. Very kewl. Didnt install it last time due to old kitchen and kickplate needed to be higher. Might do that this time.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 1/2/2008 6:47:24 PM
you know I went last year and there were only two cabinet makers in the whole show - I was really suprised! None of the big companies were there. Lots to see for counter tops though so I might go again on weekend just to look around again. Torture - never enough cash to do what you really want to.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 3/13/2008 7:41:36 PM
cork floors are in and look great! But alas the dishwasher was delivered and left in the carton to be installed. Opened the carton after kitchen cabinets were in and discovered the whole door is damaged and "The Slick" store wont do a thing as it is past three days inspection (where did I read that on the bill?) It is clear the dishwasher was dropped at some point. Any ideas on how to deal with the store? Kitchen Aid wont warranty this as it is clearly damage.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 3/14/2008 4:03:09 PM
Aha! Getting in their face worked.... a customer sales rep phoned the on line manager for me and got them to deliver a new one tomorrow!! Whoo Hoo. Weird to get excited about things that should just happen the right way? Interesting.. I am so tired about getting ripped off by the big box stores .... I think I may just deliver a nice piece of pottery to that female customer service rep though ... she really argued the point on my behalf and hopefully the contractor can install this on Monday!
 toolbelt46
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Kitchen Renovations
Posted: 3/10/2010 7:46:46 PM
id recommend staying away from laminates or any wood flooring material in a kitchen. they look great, until u discover that your dishwasher water connection leaks, or u spill a pot of water, or u drop a butcher knife (which inevitably lands blade side down).
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Kitchen Renovations