Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "Boating" as an interest      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
"Boating" as an interestPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I notice alot of womens profiles list "boating" as one of their interests. This is especially true here in Michigan where one is never far from one of the Great Lakes. Now my minimal experience with boating is being a passenger on a boat where we went out to some place in the Lake where there were alot of other boats docked, and we sat there drinking beer and eating potato salad under a glaring sun. When I asked if that is all we were going to do, the boat owner said that he was never inviting me along again. He never did. No great loss as I was completely bored. Anyways, how can boating be an interest? Is it just a status thing where people can say "Look at me. I have a boat. I can go out to the middle of the lake and drink beer and eat potato salad"? Somebody enlighten me please.
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 2
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:40:13 PM
You need to take a "boat" ride on my ex brother-in-law's seiner in the North Atlantic when she's loaded down with fish and there's water coming in over the gunwhales. I guarantee you'll never say you're bored again.
 RDtoo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:43:26 PM
Now that sounds exciting, but I think when people list "boating" as an interest, they are talking more beer and potato salad....
 smoth sailer
Msg: 4
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:50:40 PM
go for a sail around the whitsundays off queensland see the whayles and play with the dolphins camp in a inlet or bay and watch the sun rise and you will know you are alive.
race a lasor or skiff in open or clossed waters in national titles .
race 30fters on a harbour full off other boates representing your country.
glad you are where you are and not on my waters.
look up smoth urben dic
 short_order_cook
Msg: 5
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:55:53 PM
Here on the shores of Lake Erie "boating" means fishing, swimming, suntanning, waterskiing, and feeling the wind whistle through your hair while you cruise at high speeds.
It's not one interest--it's many!
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 6
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:57:53 PM
I agree that sitting in a boat in the middle of a lake drinking beer and eating potato salad is They do that kind of boating on the lakes here in Alberta too (not that there are too many lakes here - lol). That is NOT the kind of boating we do where I come from originally. I've done REAL boating on the ocean on both the East Coast and the West Coast of Canada, where you actually go somewhere instead of sitting out in the lake staring at nothing and getting drunk. I've been in some real rough water a few times and that was bloody scary. I coulda used a drink then, I'll tell ya. Talk about sleeping in your life jacket (when you finally did nod off) .........
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 7
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 12:57:42 AM
>RDtoo said; "Look at me. I have a boat. I can go out to the middle of the lake and drink beer and eat potato salad"

OP, It's obvious you've never been out on a real boat since it isn't boring at all.
Look at me, I can drink great wine, sail across continents or around the world, fish from it and have some new funky local food every place I visit!
 sailguy2k5
Msg: 8
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 8:18:16 AM
LOL... for my humble self...

Boating is more than just an interest... it can be a way of life.

44' of boat, sails, tackle, food stores, gps, compas, sextant, charts, planning.... being your own boss, in charge of your life, not worrying about what everyone else is doing, having or watching... A chance to get away from our 'real world' and have be the true master of your own domain. Because anything you do, or do not do, CAN and WILL effect your life...

And when you're out there.... after a good run... on the hook off the beach...

its time to settle down with a couple beer's.... and if you have it... potatoe salad... And watch the sunset
 Wolfie65
Msg: 9
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 8:54:51 AM
When I think of 'boating', I think of kayaking down a river, paddling from Tahiti to Bora Bora, maybe sailing from Long Beach to Catalina.
In cyber code-speak, however, 'boating' apparently does mean sitting on your a$$ in the middle of a lake (or moored to a dock) drinking beer.
Potato salad optional.
Just like ''camping' seems to mean an RV the size of a house with a fold-out living room......
 Cheezyone
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 11:43:55 AM
Boating as an interest? I think Sailguy has it right.

I think that maybe the OP and others may have not actually experienced what boating really is all about. A wise man once said that a bad day on the water is better than the best day at work.

I've done my share of sitting in a boat rafted up to other boats drinking beer all day and eating potato salad. Actually that doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.

Some people list boating as an interest because they like being on the water. Maybe they like to water ski or wake board. Maybe they just like sitting around drinking beer. Maybe they like fishing. Or maybe they just like to lay out in the sun.

Boating is an interest of mine for sure. Well maybe I should clarify that. Boating is my life. It is my soul. Without it I could no longer live. I cannot fathom the notion of a life without a boat. When you think about it without boats and boating a person would be stuck to only 1/3 of the planet and that just makes no sense to me.

Boating and being on the water makes me feel alive! Being on that perfect run, feeling the spray of the water on your face as you skip across the water under the power of the wind. Or being on a midnight passage where you almost can't tell where the water ends and the stars begin.

Finding that one particular harbour away from everyone and everything and tossing out the hook for the night. Kicking back with a coldie in hand, Margaritaville piped through the stereo, and watching the most beautiful sunset you have ever layed eyes on. Now that is pure bliss!

I guess some people have different ideas about what boating is. To some it means sitting around drinking beer to others it's about kayaking down a river. But to some it means the world to us. We instantly get a smile on our face and a sparkle in our eye. Boating to people like me is nothing less than a lifelong love affair.

When you look at the stats a very, very, small portion of people actually own boats and even fewer of those use them on a regular basis. Sometimes I wish everybody should experience boating the way I have. But then the other side tells me that there are already too many people out there with boats that don't know how to properly operate them and adding more would just screw it up for the real boaters.

All you dirt dwellers can go on and live in the rat race of scociety, stuck in traffic, standing in line, pretending to go boating by taking a cruise ship thats so big you can't tell the difference between that or a hotel in Vegas, and getting mad at all the idiots you have to deal with day in and day out.

I'll go on being content living my life on the water, watching the massive amounts of people cramed on the beach as I slip by noticed by only a few, taking a nap in my hammock gently rocking with the tides, drinking beer and eating potato salad.

Boating as an interest? You either get it or you don't.
 jimi77
Msg: 11
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 7:06:56 PM
Were you on Higgins lake.. They do that but they have tons of people, playing with the foot ball or Frisbee. Hot woman, music blasting, cook outs Just relaxing under the sun with some friends in the summer when it gets to hot you take a swim or do some skiing, beautiful nature around ya..What’s not to love

Now if you went to gull island in lake St Clair… everyone goes party’s and all the women go topless! Toolie nooner I believe it’s called...
 Luv Karla
Msg: 12
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 7:15:29 PM
I've only been on a boat once or twice in my life,but it is considered a hobby.

Whatever floats your boat(no pun intended).
 designingwoman
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 7:27:07 PM
Driving a fast boat and putting up some serious wake around Long Island Sound is wicked cool!!!
 RDtoo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 11:12:09 PM
For those of you who wish to educate me on "boating" and say I have never experienced it, I can tell you that I was on a passenger ferry in extreme weather on Lake Huron going from Tobermorey to Manitoulan Island. I slid from one end of the boat to the other. When we arrived we were greeted by about 500 people who thought we would never make it. Oddly enough, I was also on a ferry in the Wisconsin Dells that was sinking. Though I am not the Gorton Fisherman, I have been on a boat.

Besides, I think some of you are missing my point. The people I am talking about are not looking for a Nantucket Sleighride, they are sitting in the middle of Lake Erie eating potato salad and drinking beer. I don't care if they are topless, it is still boring.
 jimi77
Msg: 15
Boating as an interest
Posted: 12/31/2007 11:37:55 PM
It's just relaxing to set and drift and enjoy eachothers company, take in nature, the rocking motion is soothing and just to be out.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 16
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/1/2008 1:17:25 AM
For my friends and I boating means a bit more than that. It means wakeboarding and waterskiing and tubing and riding around the lake to see who's out and about, maybe going to town and doing some shopping and taking the boat out into the middle of the lake, diving off it then getting back on and lying in the sun. Sometimes it can even mean having a wee party later in the evening in the middle of the lake(we always have a DD, even in the boat, cuz driving a boat drunk can be dangerous too). Unfortunatly my friends and I have all been too busy to do a real boating weekend like that. It's pretty fun!
 sailguy2k5
Msg: 17
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/1/2008 5:50:01 AM

For those of you who wish to educate me on "boating" and say I have never experienced it, I can tell you that I was on a passenger ferry in extreme weather on Lake Huron going from Tobermorey to Manitoulan Island. I slid from one end of the boat to the other. When we arrived we were greeted by about 500 people who thought we would never make it. Oddly enough, I was also on a ferry in the Wisconsin Dells that was sinking. Though I am not the Gorton Fisherman, I have been on a boat.

Thats an ADVENTURE Barge!!!!

The people I am talking about are not looking for a Nantucket Sleighride, they are sitting in the middle of Lake Erie eating potato salad and drinking beer. I don't care if they are topless, it is still boring.

LOL.... Well, lets see....... You asked the question
Anyways, how can boating be an interest? Somebody enlighten me please...

Besides your "adventure" on a barge..... There have been several good examples given to you on how "boating" can be an interest... Just like everything else, its a generalization with many different perspectives.

"The difference between and Ordeal and an Adventure, is Attitude!"

If you dont like drinking beer, and eating potatoe salad, relaxing, away from the hustle and bustle of society.... then dont go.
 bashlin
Msg: 18
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/1/2008 6:52:31 AM
That does sound boring.

Personally, I hate going slow on the water. We'll cruise around a bit (55 MPH in a 19' ski boat seems really fast) just to see the lake, go skiing or tubing, then stop for lunch and relax a bit. The ski or tube until we're tired and feel like heading home.
 AlienSecrets
Msg: 19
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/1/2008 7:53:35 AM
I LOVE Boating! For some of us it is simply about the relaxation and freedom that come from rocking on the waves. For me - it includes jumping overboard - I prefer being In the water to on it, but on the water is my 2nd fav spot to be.
Now that I've been "educated" on what 'real boating' is, I regret I won't be able to enjoy that particular interest - I don't drink beer and while I've eaten chips on my friends boat, I've never had potatoe salad.. sigh.. Maybe I just like the water! lol

Why do people criticize other peoples interests rather than spending that valuable time with those who share "your" interests?? just curious ..

Looking for a man with a boat - send pic of boat! lol

I'd be happy with a dingy! So long as it floats! woohoooo

Happy boating all!!

A.S.is
 RDtoo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/2/2008 12:00:36 AM
I would never put down the people who truly love boats and being on the water. My father owned a modest sailboat but never got to use it much. My experiences on the water have been mostly positive. I enjoy the wind in my face and all that goes with it. I started this thread because I had my doubts that all the women listing boating as an interest shared the same love of it that some of you have shared with us. Dog me about it all you want, but that is just my impression.

Alien Secrets, to attempt to answer your question: you are right. I should not attack other peoples interests. Why do it then? Mostly out of frustration. Frustration that comes from living in a world where people would rather play euchre and eat potato salad than having it exitential conversations. The interests that I have are probably shared by less than one percent of the population. That number decreases severely after 40. I have to live in a mundane world surrounded by mundane people. Is it wrong to feel that way? Probably. But it gets frustrating having so few people share my interests. I wish God would have created me different and made me feel some strange satisfaction in playing euchre like the people around me. Alas, He created me different.
 sailguy2k5
Msg: 21
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/2/2008 7:08:48 AM

Alien Secrets, to attempt to answer your question: you are right. I should not attack other peoples interests. Why do it then? Mostly out of frustration. Frustration that comes from living in a world where people would rather play euchre and eat potato salad than having it exitential conversations. The interests that I have are probably shared by less than one percent of the population. That number decreases severely after 40. I have to live in a mundane world surrounded by mundane people. Is it wrong to feel that way? Probably. But it gets frustrating having so few people share my interests. I wish God would have created me different and made me feel some strange satisfaction in playing euchre like the people around me. Alas, He created me different.

LOL...

There was an old man sitting at the gates of a city... He would welcome people as they came to the city, and bid them farewell when they left.. One afternoon, a family came to the gates, he greated them... They asked, "What kind of people live in this city??"
The Old Man asked in reply, "What kind of people were in the city you used to live in??"
"They were Wonderfull people, always helpfull, and very friendly..."
"Well then," replied the old man, "Enter here friend, for you shall find nothing but friendly wonderfull people.." The couple, along with their children, walked into the city...

A couple of hours later, another couple came to the gates and asked, " Friend, what kind of people live in this city?"
The old man asked in reply, "what kind of people lived in the city from which you came??"
"Oh... dear," began the wife and husband, " they were Terrible people.. always in our business, always stealing, lying, cheating... they were just terrible..."

The old man, shook his head as he looked toward the ground... then he spoke, "Enter here, but Im afraid you will find much the same thing..... "

CHANGE your interests... Its not like you were programmed for one particular thing and one thing only.... EXPAND your horizons... Ask to play POKER... Gin Rummy...

And who actually has "existencial" conversations anyway??? Nothing is that interesting... LOL!!!
 Hunnybee007
Msg: 22
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/6/2008 1:17:23 AM
If you are not interested in the same as me, that's fine. But from May through to mid September if you want to see me you'll have to "look for me on my boat in the middle of the lake, drinking beer and eating potato salad." Let me enlighten you "don't rock the boat, swim back to shore if your bored and the only reason you would never be invited back cause you sat there completely not INTERESTED.
 AprilRyan
Msg: 23
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/6/2008 10:24:56 AM
I've been a water baby since the age of 5, just love water and have tried just about every water sport there is. (The only one I don't enjoy is hammering up and down in a motor boat but we're all different.)

I've owned a boat for the last 20 years and now I'm retired I can sail off for weeks at a time which I love to bits. I also have other hobbies and pastimes so if I ever met someone who didn't share my love of sailing it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I enjoy the forums sometimes I post threads, I just can't imagine posting one that said I went to a football match and was bored out of my mind, how can anybody like football! We are all different OP, I'm one of those rare INTP's just 1% of the population so what, I love that people are different, I would hate to live in a world full of clones of myself.

If nobody shares your interests get some new ones and join in if you feel left out. I looked at the interests you list in your profile they don't look that obscure to me. You can't spend all your time having existential conversations. But if that's what floats your boat then I am sure there is a forum out there for it.
 designingwoman
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/6/2008 6:24:40 PM
Speedboats are a blast. I love the wind in my hair, the salt air and just having fun being out on the water. But canoeing on a pond doesn't have the same appeal. I love the ocean and prefer speedboats or cabin cruisers. I would not mind trying my hand at sailing.

I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who enjoys power boating. It's wicked cool as they say in New England!!

"Boating" means so many different things: some people might love kayaking, or canoeing while someone else prefers sailing or speedboats.
 Cheezyone
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Boating as an interest
Posted: 1/6/2008 11:11:03 PM
WOW! This many respones to a question about boating?

My father owned a modest sailboat but never got to use it much. My experiences on the water have been mostly positive. I enjoy the wind in my face and all that goes with it. I started this thread because I had my doubts that all the women listing boating as an interest shared the same love of it that some of you have shared with us. Dog me about it all you want, but that is just my impression.

Your probably right with your doubts. If you are really looking for an answer to your question about why some women list boating as an interest I will try to shed a little light on that.

Well, first off, most women like being warm. Boating always has a way of making people think warm. Most ladies on this site or any other site, always list the water/ocean/boating as being an interest because to them they think warm or remember every time they ever saw boats or the ocean they were warm.

Some women just list it as another way of thinking they are romantic even though they have never actually experienced it. This could also mean they like to be in a place where they can wear their swimsuit/bikini. Which would still equal warm. Then again, maybe it just means that she is one bad ass water skiier or skin diver, but I doubt it.

Or these women your talking about have the over indulged idea that to be cool and get what they want, they think that guys with boats have money! Or they just connect the dots that guys like things with power (which we do) and things that go fast (which we do) and we like to drink beer (which we do) and they percieve that means we have MONEY!!!

I think that the average female that puts 'boating' as an interest is the same kind of girl that puts in her profile "I love walking on the beach and holding hands" or "I like to go out for dinner or stay at home" or the ever popular " I like to go out to movies or just snuggle on the couch with a DVD at home" kinda bullshit.

This is the crap that people think they want but they have no idea what it actually means. They saw it in a movie and it was romantic and thats what they think they want.hats why people put that shit in their profiles.

To the "designingwoman " I love that too! I have a close friend who has a 100+ mph speedboat that is just friggin unbelievable. I used to have a powerboats that were the greatest thing I have ever known. I had one that was a blast. It wasn't a 100+ mph boat but it was a solid 68 with five people and 2 big coolers. Hey I'm a guy, I love that shit!

Now I sail. I don't expect anyone to know what I'm talking about and I don't care. Now it's not about going 68 or 100 mph, it's about 7 knots on a perfect day. It's not the destination, it's all about the journey. It's about understanding the water and wind. It's about understanding more about your environment and trying to find a way to get through it.

All I know is I just came back from my honey at the dock and she still looks ship shape! It was as cold as a witches tit (which is still why I want to screw a witch just to find out how cold her tit actually is) but I was in heaven. My baby greated me with this look of "where were you?" But once I came aboard and fired up the heater and gave her my assurance that she was the only girl for me, she was 'perfect'. The only complaint from her is that she wants to go! I really hate seeing her all tied up like that to a bunch of wooden posts. That's just not right. But she will soon be set loose on the waterworld once again. ARRRGG!

I can't wait to haul her for some upgrades next month! It may just get a little crazy! Oh my. I really love boating.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "Boating" as an interest