Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Long Distance Online Relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Raven34
Msg: 1
Long Distance Online RelationshipsPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
We all know that with the birth of the internet the whole world has been opened to us which is wonderful BUT at the same time it opens us up to some amazing folks that are at a great distance to us which can be problematic at times for different reasons.

With that said Bizie and I plan on meeting......hopefully within the next 5 weeks if all works out.....he is in BC and I am in Ontario so there is a distance issue.

Sooooooo my question is this of the people you have met what is the furthest you have travelled to meet someone online??
 slyder69
Msg: 2
Long Distance Online Relationships
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:23:14 AM
So far New Brunswick!.. and thats from Winnipeg
 My.02 Cents
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:23:32 AM
Haven't travelled anywhere!! Can't do the "long distance" thing myself....Not at this point in my life, anyway...More's the pity!!! Good luck to you and bizie...Tell him he better treat you right, or he'll have to deal with "The Wrath of DEE".... Dee
 Jetplague
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:25:56 AM
Florida. My first and only online love....that ended badly.
 RedDeerGuys
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:28:36 AM
154km haha, still long distance in my books, but i guess i'm pretty lucky all things considered.
 myxtup
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:31:35 AM
331 km, pre-internet era.. and I married her and had kids.. (she did eventually move out here)
 bucsgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:37:48 AM
Long distance does NOT work. I've had men travel from Maryland, Georgia recently to meet me. Every man thinks he should be an exception to "local men only". I won't even go as far as 50 miles away.
The chances of something working out long distance is so small I'd say less than 5% and I know noone who's had a successful long distance relationship that turned into anything serious. Noone.
It's not worth wasting my time anymore. No exceptions, I don't care. I'm not being negative, just realistic. So if you guys want to live out some fantasy, knock yourselves out. With me, I need something a little more real.
 myxtup
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:46:34 AM
bucs - read my post above.. It can work, but there are several factors. First of all, country. I agree a Canada / US relationship might not work. second - Children make it tough... not only uprooting, but even if you did choose to uproot your kids and move, there is always former spouses that deserve 'access' rights for visitation. Third is of course, work. Some people are well established and just do not want to take the leap..

It can work.. it's just the time has to be right.. the toughest thing is that you cannot see all people's foibles on line or even on the phone.. so what if you leave family behind just to find out you are with someone that you are definitely not compatible with?

@raven - bizie seems pretty up front and genuine as well as funny.. I am interested to see how that all works out..
 dark_ice_angel
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:50:29 AM
My ex and I had a long distane relationship for almost 5 month's... we were together a total of almost 2 year's including the seperation and the divorce.
 biziedizie
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:51:25 AM
I think it can work if two people want it to. I've tried it twice and it worked as we were that into each other. The two times it ended because of the moving thing.
As for Raven and I we both have heads on our shoulders and we're making a plan and thinking in a logical way about all of it.
When we meet in the next few weeks and the sparks fly, and they will fly your all invited to the off beat wedding that's planned in the stars.........

Steve
 myxtup
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:54:27 AM
Good luck! I think most of us here are wishing you guys the best..
 biziedizie
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/23/2005 9:57:01 AM
Thanks myxtup ! The positive is what we need and we both have that.
 HB2
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/23/2005 10:02:00 AM
@raven/biz...

congratulations you two!!!

all the best!!!
 biziedizie
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/23/2005 10:03:55 AM
Thanks Fern!
 My.02 Cents
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/23/2005 10:05:48 AM
Be good to her Biz... She's a keeper!!! Good luck!!! Dee
 WeekendHuntressKatelynn21
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/23/2005 10:08:51 AM
Congrads to the both of you!
That is great news!
I haven't travelled yet...
but I fully intend to..
I'm just getting the means ready
There are a few people that I am planning on meeting
Congrads again!

Katelynn
 maximus_radius
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/23/2005 11:26:40 AM
Calgary to Moncton it is the equivalent of a 55 hours drive.....worked for 6 months but proved to be too costly and well too hard emotionally......life goes on...

MAX
 Raven34
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/23/2005 11:37:44 AM
I have many friends that have met people online and have gotten involved regardless of the distance. Some have worked (actually married...some of those cases were same country marriages and some were Canadians marrying Americans) and some haven't....but this is the way life goes whether a couple mets online or real time....some work and some don't. It is different for everyone involved and is dependant on what "they" as a couple are willing to put forth effort wise.

Prior to Bizie, I believe the furthest I have travelled for a potential relationship was Erie, PA.....although he was in Erie and I was in Ontario we were only 3 and a half hours apart so it was a doable situation. The relationship was great while it lasted and it's end had nothing to do with our distance.

In truth I have been inclined to "stay close to home" in terms of serious relationships for two reasons really....one because I don't drive and don't like to place the "burden" on the other person and secondly I am big on having time with the person. Time to me is the most important thing in a relationship. With that said "time" comes in many forms and if the effort AND work are there on both peoples' part something wonderful can be had.

With Bizie, I am still a little in awe with the whole situation because when I emailed him it had something to do with a post he had placed here in the forums to do with photography....a common interest we have. I had absolutely no expectation of a romance because I wasn't considering something long distance and had limited myself to chatting with gentlemen from the site that were close by in terms of a possible "romantic" situation.

I don't think he thought of it beyond two people having a common interest either.....we spent the first while just emailing and exchanging photos we had taken over the years. (He is an amazing photographer by the way) Then one day I asked him if he wanted to gab on the phone and talk "live" because I know he hates typing. *lol* He was agreeable and we chatted.....the rest they say is history. Things progressed from a friendship to something more meaningful and we have chatted everyday (sometimes numerous times a day) for longggggggggg periods of time getting to know one another since that first call back at the beginning.

Bizie is very generous with his time when it comes to chatting with me and thanks to that we have been provided with a wonderful opportunity that allowed us to be able to get to know one another. There is never any awkward silences and the conversations flow freely and more importantly effortlessly. Even though we are different in the way we view somethings.....me a little on the tamer side.....him a little wilder we have always respected one another's views and it seems we add a nice "balance" to one another. It has been a very pleasant surprise and I am enjoying it.

As with any situation we get to a point where you have to make a decision....or to put it not so poetically "$hit or get off the pot"....LOL All couples get to that point at sometime or another. You have to know what your willing to do and what your not willing to do before the possibility of things moving forward can come about.

We are going to meet and I am open to the possibility of whatever happens happening.....an off beat wedding that's planned in the stars would be something wouldn't it??....*lol* As Bizie said we are both weighing all things out and being logical about the potential of it and at the same time just enjoying the moment. What will be, will be....the journey is all part of the fun.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and show of support....we'll keep you posted as to what develops.
 HB2
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/23/2005 11:39:46 AM
raven....my best advice is be good to each other...congrats hon
 Country Lady
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/23/2005 11:50:48 AM
All the best you guys! And being in Ontario I expect an invitation to the wedding!

I thought I had a relationship with someone from California. Turned out he had an entire string of us to visit on his trip up to Ontario, and all that came of it was that he stole a dog from me :-(
 myxtup
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/23/2005 11:59:02 AM
Like, where is the offbeat wedding, Saskatoon? (a fair halfway point)..

Myx
 Raven34
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/23/2005 12:22:01 PM
Thanks again everyone.....

Fern there is no doubt about that.

Sorry to hear about your experience CountryLady......it sucks that he was dishonest with you and to take the dog?? WTF!!

Myxtup.....should it get to that point in our lives it would more them likely take place in my town in Ontario.....my mom is disabled to the point of being bedridden mostly although she can be up in a wheelchair if someone pushes it and being my mom I would want to be somewhere where the potential of her being able to attend would at least be a possibility for her.....that's something for future thinking if need be....gotta get the visit in before we make those kind of plans. *lol* ;-)
 Lady_Jane
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/23/2005 1:12:33 PM
Congratulations you guys!!

I had a 2 year friendship online (and still have that friendship) with a guy from the UK. A soldier - yes, a fickle weakness of mine. He flew here at the end of April for a week. I could have (and probably did) fall hard - but he didn't feel the spark. It was hard to hear, but we still had a fabulous visit, and have kept in touch since.
 HAHANOW
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/23/2005 1:22:38 PM
<~~~meeting a POF hottie in NYC this June. Crossing my fingers........
 GMCAcadia
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2005 2:03:45 PM
My wife and I met at an online site, back when everything was free... We maintained a Long Distance relationship for over a year before she moved in with me... We were about 3-4 hours apart...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Long Distance Online Relationships