Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Going off half cocked...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lario
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Going off half cocked...Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Kurt Vonnegut wrote a book called "Deadeye****. It's been many years since I read it but the jist of the story begins with a man's son went into his fathers locked gun safe/room, (I think it was locked) picked up a high powered rifle and randomly shot it out an upstairs window. The bullet traveled across town and hit a pregnant woman while she vacuumed the floor. From then on out he was known as "Deadeye**** , a double murderer.

It's a great book.

I've known for years of people shooting firearms on New Years... We used to shoot a 22 first as an adios to the previous year and a shotgun next (louder) to ring in the new. As an insurance adjuster periodically find bullets imbedded in roofs. Makes for a nice photo to show the insured. Most are only partially imbedded and can be removed with fingers (the bullet having lost velocity on the downward fall)
 badge3939
Msg: 6
Going off half cocked...
Posted: 1/3/2008 7:48:49 AM
I have read your posts and the taqlk about shooting on New Years.

There is no mention that this person killed 2 people.

"I know my brother's innocent. It's just a bad thing that happened on New Year's, you know?" said Leo Aragon,

So his brother is innocent? He has to be. It the mother and daughter's fault for standing where the bullet was going. They should have known that this guy was going to shoot on New Years.
I would like to see what the brother would have said, If it was the mother who fired a shot and killed his brother.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 7
Going off half cocked...
Posted: 1/3/2008 10:40:50 AM
It is sad, and stupid, but I sort of have to agree that it's not "first degree murder", which is what the Denver DA is trying for at this point (I bet he changes his mind on that one, though). It's negligent (ignorant?) homicide.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Going off half cocked...
Posted: 1/3/2008 2:34:39 PM
Guns don't kill people. People kill people. The guy who shot two innocent people to death. He deserves the chair, and his brother could use a boot to the head, too.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 17
Going off half cocked...
Posted: 1/3/2008 3:35:25 PM
When I was overseas, some countries were so poor, guns almost didnt exist. Nobody could afoard them. So people beat each other to death, Blew them up with stuff they made, and hacked them up with home made knives. Dead is dead. And there weren't fewer violent crimes. It wasnt so un-common to see a body in the street. Id sure as heck rather take a bullet than what some of those poor people got.

Tru dat! I will never forget reading TIME magazine decrying gun violence in the USA, then turning the page and reading about Rwandans being hacked to death via machetes.
 instride
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Going off half cocked...
Posted: 1/3/2008 6:10:04 PM
FoxyIsBack on 1/3/2008 442 PM
Subject: Going off half****d...
Message: But if, in theory, anyone can purchase a gun you are obviously going to have far more gun crime.. That is common sense.
Guns are illegal over here, you cant just get a gun license and buy a gun. We dont have people beating each other up constantly with home made weapons, we dont have kids going into schools blowing each others heads off.
Surely it is long overdue that the gun policies in the US are looked at and overhauled

The following is what happens with taking guns away from citizens.
You might consider putting your head back into the sand so, yoy don't have to see the reality going on around where you live.

Gun crime in London is increasing so rapidly that police fear they may not have the resources to cope, the BBC has learned.

Members of the Metropolitan Police's SO19 firearms unit say lack of staff, money and out-of-date equipment is threatening to affect their work.

The BBC's Zubeida Malik says that at a meeting this week, officers reported there had been a 100% increase in firearms-related crime in the capital this year.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Going off half cocked...
Posted: 1/4/2008 7:08:58 AM

I see road rage almost everyday and now you want to arm everyone?

People need guns to defend themselves against aggressive drivers.
 TimPommell
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Going off half cocked...
Posted: 1/4/2008 7:22:28 PM
I knew this was going to turn into an anti gun thread, so.... I was talking with someone the other day and they quoted a comedian that I really don't care to listen to at all, but the quote is dead on, and quite clever:

"Blaming a gun for a crime is like blaming a pencil for misspelled words..."

As crime statistics in England and Canada will attest, there are still violent crimes that occur. Perhaps since the ban on guns the death rate associated with violent crime is lower, but is that by the criminals design, or was he just too out of shape to continue stabbing you in the chest or beating you over the head with a club till you died?
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Going off half cocked...