Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Push presents??? How effed up is this?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Crimson_Captain
Msg: 2
Push presents??? How effed up is this?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
"HONEY I PERFORMED A NORMAL BIOLOGICAL FUNCTION GIVE ME A PRESENT"

Yeah right.
 ~blue eyes~
Msg: 4
Push presents??? How effed up is this?
Posted: 1/11/2008 6:03:15 PM
Like a present for her just after labor? Or just in general?
 naeco
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/11/2008 6:19:26 PM
FoxNews is out of legitimate things to talk about, so they write and push off this crap as "news". Don't pay any attention to this kind of sh!t.
 Lario
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 6:25:27 PM
I think a child is about the best reward anyone could hope for.
 hd321
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 6:39:10 PM
When my first daughter was born (12 years ago), my husband bought me a small necklace with her birthstone in the center. He gave it to me in the hospital. It was not expensive or elaborate but a very sweet gesture following the birth of our first child. I did not expect or ask for it, but it was very appreciated. The last 3, I got to choose the dinner that hubby went out and bought (neither one of us could stand hospital food!).
 Crimson_Captain
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/11/2008 6:48:30 PM

Some people are so money orientated that the thought of someone buying someone they love a present for going through what can be horrible pain is abhorrent to them..

I find that very strange indeed!!!

What I'm against is expecting the gift. I'd already be waiting on them hand and foot to make sure they were completely comfortable, giving them all the emotional and physical support I could possibly give. Expecting a bauble comes off as rather shallow and materialistic. This isn't to say I'm necessarily against getting a present, but precisely would -not- getting them another trinket be bad?
 ItsMargo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 8:58:36 PM
iago... my back goes up on the EXPECTATION of a gift, even more so if there is an expectation of type and value.

But something to mark the occasion, I can understand. What an occasion... my life completely altered with her birth. We planted a tree on the family farm to mark the occasion of my daughter's birth.
 platypus_man
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 9:45:55 PM

Brought to you by the same folks that came up with the two months salary for an engagement ring idea. Retailers just trying to sell more stuff. Madison avenue just keeps finding new ways to try to make us feel guilty and buy more of their merchandise.
 ~blue eyes~
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/12/2008 8:38:52 AM
The baby should be present enough from what I understand. Mom's almost always say it the best day of thier lives.
 Change Of Pace
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:54:00 AM
The day I gave birth my ex gave me a bouquet of roses and a basket with goodies in...some hand lotion, soaps, a little certificate from our favorite restaurant and a note from my neice saying she'd babysit whichever night we wanted to go.

I didn't expect it, but it is something I'll never forget.

Our last Christmas together, 3 years later, he gave me an epilady...he sent a message with that one too...any gift that inflicts that much pain means it's over!!
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/16/2008 3:13:41 PM
Please, no! Your gift is to get that parasite out of your body!

Now men will be demanding a gift for taking the perfect dump in the morning...
Dump endowment?
Shi-t gift?
T-urd honorarium?
 junipermoon
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 3:49:04 PM
we tend to mark rites of passage with gifts as tokens of remembrance. childbirth certainly falls into this category, much the same way bar/bat mittzvahs, graduations and weddings do. in some cultures, girls receive presents at menarche. we send flowers to the infirm, so what harm does a bouquet or a piece of jewelry do when given to a woman who nine months of discomfort, followed by hours of torture?
 WesternRose
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/17/2008 7:35:04 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! sign me up...damnit... I had 3 kids within 5 years.

I want plastic surgery... a boob lift from all that breast feeding and a tummy tuck.

unlike those celebs like Posh who had a c-section some 6 weeks prior to their due date to avoid the pouch and the stretching... I was a brave gal....full term... I want the works.... GIVE ME SURGERY!!!!!!!!

damnit... I should of asked for this in the Divorce!...damn...damn..
 wjh55
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/17/2008 8:34:47 PM

I mean, I would be the one having to go through morning sickness, weight gain, all the pain and then the birth itself. While he gets to hold my hand and help me work on breathing techniques. Does not seem fair to me. So in all fairness new Choo's would be appreciated after all the work that I have done.

And after all the hard work you did, he gets to PAY for the little one for the next 18 years.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2008 8:39:00 PM
I think it is a totally tacky way of putting it but since the guy does not actually go through any labor or pain to be presented with a child, it would be a nice gesture.

My mother gave me diamond earrings when I had my daughter specifically because with her three kids, my father never gave her anything.

One of my girlfriends growing up was then irritated because her mother, father and husband never got her any push gifts with either boy.

If I was having a child I certainly would not expect it but I would definitely appreciate it if the father of my baby was thoughtful enough to do something like that for me.
 Ignoble
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2008 10:39:23 PM
RE: First post.

Our these women somehow under the impression that being pregnant and being a pregnant womans husband are vastly different, in the sense of difficulty? HAHAHAHAHA. Right. If not then they must be under the impression that a man gets more out of his kids than a woman. Again... I dont think so. If not THAT then they must think that children are somekind of financial BOON and not the opposite.

Whomever came up with this is greedy with a superiority complex heaped on top of it. Marginally stupid too I would say. Might as well make women give men presents for putting up with them for nine months. And we have to do that repeatedly. ^_^
 MrTwistedPersonality
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2008 11:22:19 PM
Question: wasn't the sex the present in the first place?

Personally, for someone to hold that expectation of an actual "push" present, I assume they extremely shallow and vapid. Unless of course, they want your crown jewels as stress relief during delivery, *then* I could possibly see that as a present.
 ZombieFood
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/18/2008 3:02:30 AM
Present, nah.. not in the sense of something wrapped and expensive.

Some flowers and chockies and me telling her she is the most wonderful woman in the world, most definitely

If she ain't happy with flowers, chocolates, a loving husband and a new family member.. then I seriously don't see how dropping a few grand on a hunk of rock is going to help the situation.. there are obviously much worse things that should be discussed.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/18/2008 5:08:09 PM
If it's demanded or expected, it negates the idea of a gift. And that spoils all the fun...uhh...here's your present...yeah that's FUN!
 Lynsteph74
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/18/2008 5:13:00 PM
I wouldnt want anything anyone felt obligated to give me...but, well....when I see someone make every effort they can, and work really hard to do some joyous, beautiful thing, I tend to want to do something nice for them....so I can see where it would be awfully nice.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Push presents??? How effed up is this?