Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > passports for children with absent parent      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wanderbaby
Msg: 1
view profile
History
passports for children with absent parentPage 1 of 1    
I'm going to France in April with my 2 yr old daughter and myself, I was just wondering if anyone had gone through the passport process when the other parent is not involved as well as not going to court through it.

Pretty much, my ex didn't want to be involved with my daughter 2 months before I was due. I have not heard from him since. So that was his choice, and I have no probably being 100% financialy/emotionaly responsible for my daughter.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 2
view profile
History
passports for children with absent parent
Posted: 1/11/2008 10:11:12 PM
You also need to apply for the passport now because there may be a backlog where you are and it may take several weeks. With visas and everything else, get the passport out of the way as quickly as possible. You should be able to find out exactly what is required currently online.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 10:23:35 PM
Thanks! He's not on the birth certificate. I plan to get the passport next week and have it expidited just incase. I was told up to 8 weeks.
 Leigh AKA PL
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 10:50:02 PM

If he is on the birth certificate, you 1) have to make him sign the application for a passport or 2) get a court order stating you as sole custodial parent

I got my daughter a passport two years ago... she is 6 now.... I never needed my ex's permission... it stated on the form if you are divorced and have no contact with the father then please tick box... that is what I did and it was accepted... maybe it is different now?
 techgirl27
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2008 9:01:01 AM
just apply for new passports for them.

You'll have to pay the complete cost, and go through the whole process as if they are new passport applicants. But there's nothing to stop you doing that and advising that the passports are lost and can't be located.

Kids passports are only valid for 5 years from date of issue, so the old ones will eventually expire and wont be of any use to the other person anyway without the kids.

My ex has a history of keeping the kids from me against court orders and I had to go to court to force him to give them back (writ of habeus corpus), so I got it written into a court order that I am to keep the passports and that he is not allowed to apply for or hold the passports. He is also not american and has family overseas so the risk was high that he would take the kids out of the country against my will. They couldn't call it "abducting" though because they still gave him joint custody :( .
 wanderbaby
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2008 8:46:28 PM
Thanks, I asked a friend who is in the same situation, father not on the b.certificate, she says it was fine. So I don't have to worry so much over it. Now I gotta figure out how to keep a toddler busy for 13 hours. Ironically, the 2 stopovers will be in Canada, so I get to finally get to see some Canada, even tho it's thru the airport windows lol
 wanderbaby
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2008 10:21:51 PM
really? they must have a faster process in Canada than in the US, cuz it's around 6-8 weeks but to have it expidite it, it's 3 weeks. I think the states is getting too paranoid with security with traveling.
 4408joseph
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 6:26:01 PM
Okay I was just trying to apply for my first passport for my 6 y.o. and the Post Office explained that both parents have to be there, or One parent can submit a"notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child" on a SPECIAL form they were ready to hand me...

I then told them that the Mother was stripped of her parental rights several years ago.

I was told I would then need OFFICIAL court documents to show such..

Time to get passport was to be 3-4 weeks.

Hope that helps.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 9:38:31 PM
Well, today I went in and got the passport application sent, the lady who worked at the post office told me that the passport photo for my daughter wasn't correct, so I had to redo it, she was sitting in a stool and the background of the stool was scene, geesh they are so picky. She says nothing can be in the background. so she had to stand up on a stool to take her pic, she did good. No issue with my ex not being on the birth certificate. she complimented me on how well my daughter was doing, she was an angel ;o) I forgot to bring in my old passport, so I had to fill in a lost/stolen passport paper. She told me it would take 6 weeks, so I skipped on expiditing, because she felt that that would waste my money. I just hope it arrives on time! They do take your birth certificate though and you'll get it back in the mail.
 daiago68
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2008 2:57:30 AM
It is just a tad frustrating to hear about the ease with which the mother can apparently get a passport without the father being present- I live abroad and I frequently get emails from the US consulate reminding me that they won't provide passport services to either parent unless the other parent is present or I can show certified documents demonstrating that I have sole custody. Of course, if the father is not on the birth certificate, I can understand, but just ticking a box to say that he isn't around seems like they are inviting abuse.

When my daughter's mother last visited us in Hong Kong I took the opportunity to go with her down to the US consulate to renew my daughters passport- after 9/11 they changed the process so now all passports are processed and printed in the US. After dropping off the paperwork at the consulate in Hong Kong (and both parents swearing in front of the officer that all information is accurate) my daughters passport arrived at our home within 10 days! (That is NOT the expedited service!)

I am also sometimes astonished at the ease with which people are allowed to enter and leave the country with children. My four year old daughter has been traveling quite a bit in the last couple of years on a passport that she got when she was one month old- all they can do to try and 'verify' her identity is to ask her name because the passport photo doesn't resemble her at all. The two of us have traveled alone in and out of the US, a few Asian countries and Europe without ever having been asked for so much as a letter from the mother verifying that I have the right to take her without her mother.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > passports for children with absent parent