Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Affording life      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Affording lifePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Feeling a little frustrated? Possibly with someone demanding more money for things you feel they don't "need"?? Just a guess.
Overall, I agree with you really...although I think a few luxuries are nice to keep the dream and drive alive sometimes. I always get a giggle out of someone asking me to "borrow" money because there is no food in their house and in their next pay the first thing they do is order out! ICK! Just think of how much that pizza money could have stocked the pantry!! Some weeks a splurge is the dollar menu at McDonalds folks!
Alright, before I really hop on my soapbox now...
 packagedealx3
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Affording life
Posted: 1/14/2008 7:07:23 PM
Too much of anything is not a good thing and as in other things in life, finances require balance. Too much frugality is just as bad as overspending.

I grew up in a very middle class home, had more things than some of my friends, less than others. There was money for little league, music lessons, art lessons, and a host of other activities throughout childhood and the teen years that helped us to be more well rounded human beings. But both my parents were school teachers, so we were not well off. My parents worked hard and so did we, from the time we were old enough to push a shovel and lawn mower, and for me, babysitting, we all worked to make money.

I don't know about my brothers, but I banked it, all of it. When I had a "real" job, I didn't cash checks, they were desposited for college. When I asked for things, I was usually told I didn't need them. We got school clothes in the fall, summer clothes in the spring. There were clothes, toys and books at Christmas and a dress at Easter, but I was not one of those kids who could go to the mall and even buy a top or pair of shoes with my girlfriends. My mother liked nice things so they did not go out to eat or to movies, it was a waste of money. So one of our lessons was if you spend it, make sure you have something to show for it.

My parents taught me the value of money, what they didn't teach me was how to spend. In my twenties I bought a lot of things specifically because I didn't need them. If you base every spending decision on need, you create the mindset that you deserve nothing better than the bare essentials.

My children are learning the value of money but like most of us, they will not really get it until they are out on their own. I agree with Pucks. Obviously the basic needs come first but sometimes even when money is tight, you need to do something for yourself just because you don't need it.
 sarasotagal76
Msg: 13
Affording life
Posted: 1/16/2008 6:31:33 PM
Mrs Sur... You have just complained another day with challenges related to men and as today you believe you have everything? As far as I remember you were bothered with the fact that some men do not want to produce tradional values and commitment. But today clearly based on your post you have everything....
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Affording life