Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Would you date a woman who doesn't want kids?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Karrpilot
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Would you date a woman who doesn't want kids?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Yes i would and yes i have. Because i do not want children myself. However, i am not going to limit myself either. I have dated women with children and women who wanted children. I just figure that i might miss out on THE ONE if i box myself in.
 Urbanessa
Msg: 8
Would you date a woman who doesn't want kids?
Posted: 1/14/2008 3:05:42 PM
I don't want kids. Under no circumstances. Rather-dead-than-ending-up-with-kids 200% sure that being a mother is not for me. And I've always been very upfront about that. And guess what: I am getting dates, I've been in several committed long-term relationships and not once have been dumped for not wanting kids. So I guess the answer to your question is: There are men out there that don't want kids either or that don't care as long as they are happy with their significant other and that will happily date women that don't want to have kids.

So if you don't want kids: Just be open about that from the very beginning and don't mislead your potential dates and it shouldn't be a problem.
 Shylent
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:38:16 AM
I most certainly would, if i was interested in 2 women and one wanted kids and the other did not i would chose the one who did not want kids.
While i do like kids, i do not really want any of my own.
Eventually i will get myself "fixed" so that none would come form my loins at least.
Which would mean ultimately that if a future partner wanted kids she would have to get knocked up by someone else if she wanted them.
I have my own personality issues that would prevent me from giving my children the priority and attention they require.
Also i see it as an act of cruelty to bring a child in to this world until humanity has learned to be significantly less barbaric than it is now.
So a woman who does not want children would be ideal.
I would still date a woman who did want children, but i would not be able to be an equal partner in the parental duties. She would have to be willing to accept that she would basically be a single mother that has a reliable babysitter.
A babysitter would be all i really would even want to be even if the child was of my own blood. Just someone to watch the kid while she goes to work to pay for the upbringing of that child and while she takes care of the other motherhood duties.
I do not even want a dog as they are too much work to take care of and require too much attention. A child would be worse and would take far far longer until they would be out of your hair than a dog would.

When i was younger i used to REALLY want kids. That changed when i did some honest introspection of myself and truly got to know who i was. The result of that was i realized that even though i did have a lot to offer a child, my flaws would result in them being neglected too often due to being unable to put my children first and highest priority and that i would chose my hobbies over my children.
 DJMac
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 8:41:00 AM
Yes I would date and marry a woman who dosent want kids

I have nothing against parenthood and think kids are great but its not for me. I like my lifestyle of being able to go out whenever I want to, and to spend my free time and money on whatever I want to. Children would only complicate that for me.
 taogca
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 7:44:11 AM
OP

Certain you have gotten responses all over the spectrum. Depending on age of the person responding.
At my age and the age of the woman I would be interested in, not an issue because we would likely already have had children that were grown up already.
So not interested in starting any new children with anyone.
 that sam i am
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/6/2008 3:17:29 PM
Yay! No Crotchfruit!
 mcbobly
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 3:38:38 PM
Sure I would. I wouldn't let something like that be a determining factor whether or not we could date. besides, I already have kids, mostly grown now, but I wouldn't have any issues at all if she couldn't have kids, besides, I'm not that shallow. As long as she accepted mine with no problems then all would be fine.
 vladtepes97
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 6:02:17 PM
dating a woman who wants nothing to do with children is not an option for me or for probably most fathers.

dating someone who has children and wants no more might be an issue, but not necessarily.
 sjenner
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/11/2008 1:33:14 PM
Sure why not? In fact that is ideal since I do not want kids :-)
 Goodscifistudy
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2008 3:57:46 PM
Without ANY chance of children in the future, no matter how good the woman was I would have to walk.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/8/2008 10:40:36 AM

Heres something I've been wondering. Hypothetically.. If you meet this chick and you get along great. You've been on dates and consider a possible relationship with this woman. Then you finally talk about values each of you have. Lets say it turns out the chick had a surgery to prevent herself from becoming a mother and wants no part of children at all in life. Would it effect how you feel about her? Would you leave her and find someone to have a family with? Or accept that you won't have children with her ever and stay anyway?

So you date this person and then get serious and then you ask about children? That should be one of the first things you talk about in the first couple of dates; what type of person she is, what does she like to do, what does she want out of life;

First of all communication is the answer. You dont get attached to someone and then see what they want out of life. Ridiculous. Now you have feelings for someone when you could have nipped it in the bud.

I want kids so this is a deal breaker and thats why you talk about it before you get too attached so no one gets hurt.
 *Bulldog*
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/9/2008 5:49:10 PM

Lets say it turns out the chick had a surgery to prevent herself from becoming a mother and wants no part of children at all in life. Would it effect how you feel about her? Would you leave her and find someone to have a family with? Or accept that you won't have children with her ever and stay anyway?

It would matter the age in question, but for most younger guys I'd say the impossibility of having biological children would be a deal-breaker.
 borntoski683
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2008 9:17:07 PM
sure why not?

I guess if I were in my 30's I might be more selective. At my age, the possibility is getting stronger that it might be too late for kids anyway. Having come to terms with that, I just want to enjoy some company once in a while....maybe if I'm lucky find someone to share the rest of my life with. There are plenty of guys out there that like that.
 lateef7842
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2008 3:26:36 PM
Yes, we could date. But that's as far as it goes. I would not get serious with her. I don't have kids and I want them, but thats not the reason. If I meet a woman who has kids and doesn't want or can't have anymore kids, thats fine. That's not a deal breaker for me. I could still allow myself to fall in love with that woman.

But, a woman who doesn't want kids at all, seems selfish to me. Almost lacking in something fundamental in her capacity to share her life. I feel the same way about men who don't want kids. I have several friends who don't want kids and they are very selfish people. Good guys, but selfish non the less. Maternity instincts are so basic and automatic to most women (at least the ones I've known).

If a woman isn't willing to love something that is, essentially, a part of her, how could I expect her to love me in any deep and true capacity? How could I honestly think she is capable of anything past a superficial attachment?

It's just my opinion. And, to each his own. There is no right answer to this one. When it's all said and done, it's a very personal choice.

Lateef
 SpiceyCougar
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:14:41 PM

Heres something I've been wondering. Hypothetically.. If you meet this chick and you get along great. You've been on dates and consider a possible relationship with this woman. Then you finally talk about values each of you have. Lets say it turns out the chick had a surgery to prevent herself from becoming a mother and wants no part of children at all in life. Would it effect how you feel about her? Would you leave her and find someone to have a family with? Or accept that you won't have children with her ever and stay anyway?

I haven't read all the responses to this, so my comments may repeat someone.

I believe it takes a very strong, self asured woman to look at her life and admit that she would not be a good mother or quite simply does not want to BE a mother. With all the women on the planet having babies... many of them should NEVER have children... the world's population is not going to hurt much by a few women deciding they would rather never have children.
 borntoski683
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2008 9:21:29 PM
Sure why not. Especially at my age. The bigger problems is that women with kids often have difficult schedules to make work.
 Auricfield
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2008 1:20:48 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!
 pokerjimmy
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2008 12:56:21 PM
You'll find lots of men who would prefer a woman like you while others won't.
 pugslave
Msg: 77
Posted: 7/12/2008 8:48:07 PM
I don't want kids either. I'd stay if we developed feelings for each other. I'd leave is she WANTED kids.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Would you date a woman who doesn't want kids?