Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Semen acts as an Anti-Depressant      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tim61
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Semen acts as an Anti-DepressantPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I saw this on a web site and would like to hear your views on it

thats if it's allowed on here ???

Semen makes you happy. That's the remarkable conclusion of a study comparing women whose partners wear condoms with those whose partners don't.

The study, which is bound to provoke controversy, showed that the women who were directly exposed to semen were less depressed. The researchers think this is because mood-altering hormones in semen are absorbed through the vagina. They say they have ruled out other explanations.

"I want to make it clear that we are not advocating that people abstain from using condoms," says Gordon Gallup, the psychologist at the State University of New York who led the team. "Clearly an unwanted pregnancy or a sexually transmitted disease would more than offset any advantageous psychological effects of semen."

Alternative explanations
But is it really the semen that affects women's mood? The researchers say they looked at alternative explanations such as whether women who seldom use condoms took oral contraceptives, how often they had sex, the strength of relationships, and the possibility that having a certain type of personality influenced the decision to use condoms. But none of these factors can explain their findings, they say.

In fact, the results aren't a complete surprise because semen does contain several mood-altering hormones, including testosterone, oestrogen, follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinising hormone, prolactin and several different prostaglandins. Some of these have been detected in a women's blood within hours of exposure to semen.

The question many people will ask is whether oral sex could have the same mood-enhancing effects. "Since the steroids in birth control pills survive the digestion process, I would assume that the same holds true for at least some of the chemicals in semen," Gallup says.

"I understand that among some gay males who have anal intercourse, it is not uncommon to attempt to retain the semen for extended periods of time," he adds. "Suggesting, of course, that there may be psychological effects." But further research will be needed to confirm whether exposure to semen through oral or anal sex really does affect mood in heterosexual or homosexual partners.

But why should semen have such an effect? "It makes no sense to me for this phenomenon to have evolved," says Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. But Gallup counters that men whose semen promotes long-term mood enhancement might have more chances to indulge in sexual activity.

Tim
 svj
Msg: 3
Semen acts as an Anti-Depressant
Posted: 1/15/2008 10:35:38 AM
80% of headaches are curable by giving the sufferer an empty horse cap (placebo) instead of a Tylenol or Aspirin.

Simply put... if she believes semen is an anti-depressant, odds are it is... for her.
 fancynanci
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:39:28 PM
No wonder I am always so happy!!! just kidding!
 totum_spirit
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:56:53 PM
One study said they used women that had sex without a condom and a group with condoms...what they found out is that the group without condoms the females were much happier. The women that used condoms all the time were in fact depressed.

Reading this thread is funny to how so many of you act. I guess alot of people still think the world is flat? Maybe the sun rotates around earth? We are in a new age of learning...we are just begining to understand the complex chemicals that our own bodies produce. Things happen at a atomic level that can not be explained with science yet. The hormones that are absorbed and the chemical make-up of our bodies are made to work this way because of the atoms that form the precise make up of molecules each time the body produces them they are the SAME!

Think about it there are poisons that if touched by your skin( a lite touch) you are dead in seconds. Look at a bee sting and the amount of chemical it injects into you and the pain and swelling (or death for a few) all happen within seconds. Again it is the ying/yang...plus/negative...male/female... so is it possible...YES. But you can always stick your head in a hole in the sand and deny the possibilty.
 Argentum Crinis Philogus
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/16/2008 6:51:36 AM
Interesting study. I've reviewed this in the past. New Scientist has the article that discusses the research design, methodology, and the results.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2457-semen-acts-as-an-antidepressant.html

Not all references to sexual behavior in forum posts are bait for fisher-persons. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

ACP
 darlyngirl
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 10:07:54 AM
Correlation does not equal causation.

Women who are with partners who always use protection may be in a less stable relationship, they may trust their partners less or their partner may trust them less. Depression could be pre-existing and cause women to find less stable partners, or the inability to find a stable partner could add to the causes of depression.

Just because 2 things happen at the same time in no way means one CAUSES the other. A famous example given to me in a stats class is that African American people are more likely to live in poverty then Caucasian people. Does that mean it CAUSES it? Or do all the situations in life cause it? If it's a 100% causation than there'd be no successful African Americans- something we know to be untrue.

Now if these women who are having sex with condoms were to stop using them and catch or transmit an STD it would probably not 'cure' their depression.
 *buzz*
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 10:45:36 AM
ahhh ... I would not bet on a single or multiple shots that would get me high regardless the quality of goodies being boldly shot up. It is just not so simple as there is plenty of turns & twists.
I think OP, all these studies is just another variety of 'pulling leg' - HER leg

who were directly exposed to semen were less depressed

Ahhh ... are we back to :fishing: ?
 bigshrek
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/16/2008 6:43:04 PM
I dated one gal for quite awhile that was diagnosed with bi-polar & a few other nifty problems...one thing I definitely noticed is that when she'd get irritable, I'd give her a backrub & a bang and she'd be sweetness & light for about 24-48 hrs. I tried never to let her go longer than that because when she got irritable...geez...

Why do women **** about not wanting sex when they know they need it just as badly as we do? One can definitely tell the difference afterwards...
 Leeanne
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 7:04:56 PM

Maybe they are just happy because they are getting laid

I know I am a very happy girl!! Could this be the reason?!?!? Interesting!!!!
 Mae B
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/17/2008 4:18:53 PM
So if we let them blow their load all over our face do we get happier faster because the antidepressant substance is closer to our brain?

Semen... not just for smooth skin anymore!!
 3ClubMonkey
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2008 11:24:04 AM
Finally a study with value. I can see the headlines now: "Ladies Lined up at the Trough"

This could put men in high demand - MacDonalds, move over!!! Women won't be after pics anymore, it'll be the chemical compostion of semenoids :-) bringing a whole new meaning to the word: mule. :)

Sincerely: It may have more to do with the people themselves, their nature, the confidence they have in their relationships.
 harleyridingman
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/18/2008 5:00:40 PM
i knew this scientist once she wanted to partake in this experiment so she made me cum but when she was ready to give her opinion of it and also the proof she swallowed the evidence
 bigshrek
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/20/2008 4:05:28 AM
What are the symptoms of that??? Never heard of Thrush before.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2008 10:20:33 AM
Bwwwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I remember when I was MUCH younger there was a rumour that semen was good for acne also!!!!!

Good grief

It's ORGASM that is good for depression. The chemicals released are the "feel good" ones. It also raises heart rate (good for cardiovascular health) Raises respiration... and blood flow (always a good thing) and has many benefits to health and well-being.

However... it has been found that adultery actually causes stress, and can be BAD for one's health.
 AlliKreme
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/20/2008 10:50:22 AM
Ham? LOL....you've got that right!
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:12:03 PM
I can see it now... many many more requests for swallowing than we already get now.

"but... babe... it'll cheer you up!"
 bigshrek
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/25/2008 4:35:24 PM
For women who want to give bj's but not have to deal with a taste or texture they don't like...just DEEP THROAT when he pops. That way it all goes straight down yer throat and yer tongue never tastes a thing. DUH!

Not to mention the fact that he'll think you're the greatest lover ever.

B'sides, think about this...people drink alcohol, most alcohols tend to taste pretty bad at first...like Scotch...they drink all sorts of sour, nasty, evil tasting concoctions and they make horrid faces when they drink them...but they LOVE the effect those drinks have. Same thing with oral..some people will love the taste the first time, some won't, but will learn to like it...trust me, y'all can be pretty rough tasting down there as well...and Keep that thing CLEAN, PLEASE!! Nothing worse than taking off a gal's panties and being knocked backwards by the odor...YIKES!

Ok, offa the soapbox...
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:16:20 PM
To all men giving the great advice to all women--you show us how first^^^^I'm happy to watch your BJ technique.
 4408joseph
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:34:29 PM
Ahhhhhh, you can read anything about anything,written by anybody..

Sure, if I'm depressed and lettin' it fly (no pun intended)

even less depressed when I'm flying with a co-pilot and NOT Solo.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 7:43:03 PM
The article I was thinking of was in Psychology Today in 2002

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20021002-000009.html

And the title is "Crying Over Spilled Semen"

The finding that women who do not use condoms during sex are less depressed and less likely to attempt suicide than are women who have sex with condoms and women who are not sexually active, leads one researcher to conclude that semen contains powerful—and potentially addictive—mood-altering chemicals.

Study author Gordon G. Gallup, Ph.D., a psychologist at the State University of New York in Albany, also found that women who routinely had intercourse without condoms became increasingly depressed as more time elapsed since their last sexual encounter. There was no such correlation for women whose partners regularly used condoms.

Gallup's survey of 293 college women also found that those who did not use condoms were most likely to initiate sex and to seek out new partners as soon as a relationship ended. "These women are more vulnerable to the rebound effect, which suggests that there is a chemical dependency," says Gallup.

Semen contains hormones including testosterone, estrogen, prolactin, luteinizing hormone and prostaglandins, and some of these are absorbed through the walls of the vagina and are known to elevate mood.

semenseeker
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/27/2008 6:48:16 AM
For everything you wanted to know about semen swallowing:

"Semen Therapy is the practice of swallowing the ejaculation of a healthy man, three times a week or more, for the health benefits."

"Semen is an even more powerful organic anti-depressant.
Semen, apparently, contains a wide-rage of psychoactive chemicals:
* Arginine: an amino acid believed to increase blood flow and blunt pain
* Tyrosine: a chemical that gets converted into adrenaline
* Dopamine: the much-publicized happy drug
* Beta-endorphins: a painkiller that lowers anxiety
And, oddly:
* Estrogen and Oxytocin: two "female" hormones linked respectively with happiness and pair bonding."

See:
http://sementherapy.com
for all sources.
 Boomstrike
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/27/2008 1:41:07 PM
The study seems totally plausible, yet difficult to prove. Humans are very complex organisms and there are many chemical reactions associated with sex and reproduction.
 take me as I am..
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2008 9:54:00 AM
Sign me up! I'd be happy to help with research and believe me I am very through in my research . I've also always believed that getting it ATLEAST once a day chases the blues away. Hey, it has always worked for me! Must be why the X keeps calling wanting me to come over and play....I must've done something right!Too bad for him that he didn't! That's why I'm still for one that'll keep that smile on my face....BTW: sorry no fly by nighter here, I am selective when being intimate. Not looking for a FWB or FB..looking for 4ever if it still exists!
 take me as I am..
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2008 9:54:58 AM
Only sign me up for human research!
 bigshrek
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/14/2008 12:00:56 AM
Basic fact of life that if you are having good bed-rocking, wall-breakin, earth-quakin good sex on a regular basis that you are going to be a HAPPIER person...

So if semen is an anti-depressant, why don't guys get all mopey after they fire off a few loads?? one would think if they are disposing of their anti-depressant they'd get sad/depressed...

Pfffft...GO GET SUM!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Semen acts as an Anti-Depressant