Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Do guys enjoy doing handyman chores?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Do guys enjoy doing handyman chores?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Do guys enjoy doing handyman chores?

Not if that's all you want us for.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/15/2008 9:49:40 PM
I can't cook.
So yes I would trade chores for a nice dinner.
As long as you could control yourself seeing me in a toolbelt.
:-)
Some girls get weak at the knees seeing a guy all tooled up.
Don't know what that's all about.
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/15/2008 10:00:54 PM

Some girls get weak at the knees seeing a guy all tooled up.

Maybe it's the guy who's wearing it.

Love those Texas lifestyles.
 24DegreeAngel
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 10:05:46 PM
Most guys would probably help you clean out the plumbing with no lunch needed.
 pbear511
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/15/2008 10:48:25 PM
hmmmm..what's for lunch? and what needs fixing?
 swfl_dan
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 7:34:45 AM
Check with him first to make sure it's something he knows HOW to fix lol

Personally, I love doing those kind of "Me, man, Me, fix!" kinda things, especially if it's a short (hour or less) project followed by lunch and stimulating conversation with an attractive, witty and intelligent woman :)

If you're willing to do the "Me, woman, Me, cook!" thing while I'm doing my "man" thing, so much the better!

I don't have any hang ups about gender roles - for instance, I can't do much with plumbing, but I have a female friend that used to be a plumber, so when I have plumbing needs, it's me cooking the lunch. I do find it fun, when the chance presents itself, to do the "traditional gender role" thing tho, makes me feel nostalgic about a time that I've only really seen in movies and on TV lol
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:07:59 AM

OK - what do you do when you're more handy than any man you've ever met?

You come over to my place and I'll cook for you.
 OutMind
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/16/2008 2:15:31 PM
Fvck no. If you want a handy man call your brother. If you don't have a brother call one of those guys that are clinggy and jump at your becon call. Until you are IN a relationship don't use the guy like that. And if you do, I may be the one labeling you material for "Just Friend."
 cfox53
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:37:37 AM
I'm happy to help out friends (male or female) and in fact just did this yesterday - I grew up in the trades so I'm somewhat handy and I'm a decent cook - so maybe my friend would cook, maybe I would - the key really is - are you my friend. If this is a really early then it probably wouldn't be a decent date for me - if we had been out a few times and were at least frieendly, then sure, why not.
 Ron-burgendy
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:58:10 AM
I'd much rather do handyman chores than cleaning.

I really do like shovelling snow, mowng the lawn, and doing outdoor work. (heh, I guess thats why I chose my profession)
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2008 11:20:49 AM

The last guy I dated...Now the steps on my deck broke and he never once offered to help me fix them....but you would think after dating someone for six months he would offer to help me fix my steps.

Depends on the circumtances of your break-up, no?
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2008 7:31:59 PM
Bethlett,

Most guys ARE willing to do handyman chores IF we were in a relationship with the gal. The problem comes when the gal does this to get stuff done for free with no relationship intention - basically stringing the guy along. It's sad to see guys being taken advantage of in that way.

Where does it end? Why not befriend lawyers to get free legal work in exchange for an amazing meal? How about doctors, plumber, electricians, auto mechanics, etc?
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:01:30 PM
^^^I don't know if part of that was directed at me but I'm talking about a different situation. The situation where the gal is toying with the guy's affections. Surely you don't condone that behaviour?
 toolbelt46
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2008 9:09:08 PM

"Would a decent date be fixing something around my house while I make a truely awesome lunch and really fun converation?

well, at $75/hour, that better be one hell of a sandwhich.....lol
 kev0469
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2008 9:45:48 PM
I have to agree with roesforyou.
Although the size of the chore is to be considered
before accepting.
Not as a date though but as a friend.
And a meal provided is always appreciated.
 Ignoble
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2008 9:56:07 PM
RE: First post.

At first I didnt. Then I was a maintenance guy at a huge sports complex for 3 years. Now I like improving things that belong to me. Its very... fulfilling and something you can take pride in. But just doing the tasks for anyone is not pleasant to me. It has to be something connected to me. My home, my job or my car etc. I wouldnt take as much pleasure in, say, fixing my neighbors porch.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Do guys enjoy doing handyman chores?