Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The world of dating while living with a male/female roommate.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 swfl_dan
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The world of dating while living with a male/female roommate.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)

I understand the "past experience" thing but why is it that I have to be held responisible for that?

In my personal experience, meaning every time I've had a female roommate, or anytime I've known a person rooming with a member of the opposite sex, unless there's a large, large age difference, or one of them is gay, something always develops between them at some point.

If it were me, I'd scope out the roommate a bit before making a "final" decision, but odds are I'd pass just because the odds are so high that things could go weird at some point.

I don't think it's so much you're being "held responsible for past experience" as you are being held responsible for your decision to have a man as a roommate.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 3
The world of dating while living with a male/female roommate.
Posted: 1/17/2008 1:11:13 PM
In my personal experience, meaning every time I've had a male roommate, or anytime I've known a person rooming with a member of the opposite sex, unless there's a large, large age difference, or one of them is gay, something always develops between them at some point.

[had to steal this from him^^^--I've had two live-ins that started out as "roommate situations]
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/17/2008 1:21:31 PM
I had a female roommate once and it was awesome but I admit there were quite a few awkward moments when one or both had quests over.

The men she brought home would always get VERY uncomfortable when I came down for coffee. It was fun to watch them react. She and I actually worked out a signal... if she asked me if I wanted coffee I would come over and give her a hug and kiss and ask how her night was... her dates would ROCKET out the door. If she ignored me then I would get my coffee and just be cool.

We had the same reactions and same signals when I had a guest over... it was really quite funny.

I think its a territorial thing... guys like to think they are the only ones peeing on that bush and to find out they are not, by default, the alpha male, they tend to bolt.
 Lario
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2008 4:35:23 PM
Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode that covered this subject?
 Rain4Eva
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2008 5:00:49 AM
Steer clear. I've known women and men who have done it, and I've tried to have relationships with women that had male roommates, it almost never (95% of the time) works. One or the other falls for the other, and/or the "other" can't handle the fact that they have fallen for the other, and get mad whenever some other gender is around, and/or dating.

My little input.

~Anthony.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 10:33:43 PM
All you can do is hold out on that serious relationship until you meet someone EVOLVED enough to understand your situation & not pass judgement on you for it.

Absurd statement ... And trying to suggest that people who avoid roomate situations is somehow less evolved than you is pathetic...really !

MOST roomates have had a sexual encounter at some point ..or at least one desires there to be
and by the time it takes me to determine what the true roomate status is ... I could had had 15 dates or be seriously involved in a relationship. It just takes too much time to analyze a roomate situation, and to tell the truth ,I find women who are living independant of men, usually have a better combination of qualities and features in their character than a woman who "needs" a man around

So , stop whinning and trying to change the world ... If your unhappy that you are passed over because of your roomate ... then get your own place or get a same sex roomate
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/20/2015 1:15:19 PM
I've heard some folks view the roommate situation as a mousetrap without cheese .
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2015 3:27:08 PM
I for one would not room with a guy who was of my demographic, one on one. You don't know who he may bring home and in what condition. If he were gay, there was a huge age difference then maybe. I can understand the roommate being leery about strangers coming into his space and having access to his belongings. I can also understand any potential boyfriends being leery of the situation as well.

It would depend on the lay out of the place you are living in but there would not be much privacy and I would not want to wake up to see a stranger in my lounge room, kitchen or wherever, who has stayed over. Been there and done that... no thanks...
 bamagrl68
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/20/2015 4:06:02 PM
jadedgreen32- Aside from the jealousy issue, there is the issue of privacy.
Some people do not like the idea of someone home over hearing your "fun" together.
Also, some people just don't want a third wheel around.
I know this to be true because I fall in both of the latter categories.
I have never had a room mate and will not unless that is my LAST option.
Addressing the jealously issue:
If someone you are potentially going to date tells you they have a problem with it (due to jealousy), all you can do is keep looking until you find one that doesn't.
If this becomes an ongoing issue, you should SERIOUSLY consider cutting costs and looking for a small place that works for your budget.
TRUST me when I tell you that a small place without cable will give a man less pause than coming to your place and finding another man there.
You might KNOW nothing is going on, but they don't and being honest, it would give me pause also.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2015 10:47:32 PM
That's my problem. Living with another male and two females. Does it matter if my other roomies have four legs and tail?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The world of dating while living with a male/female roommate.