Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Go "Green" with a biodegradable coffin.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tyeee
Msg: 1
Go "Green" with a biodegradable coffin.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
What are your plans to transit from this mortal life to the next (assuming there is one)?

Coffins, headstones and other items used in burials of the dead require vast amounts of steel, fine wood, concrete and other valuable resources. A growing trend is to use biodegradable coffins which can be as simple as a $100 cardboard box or a shroud.

Google for more information.

What are your plans?

Cremation? Burial in the conventional resource-wasting casket, in a biodegradable coffin, or perhaps cryogenically preserved so you can hopefully be revived in the future and annoy your descendants?

Me... well I decided quite some time ago to have my remains cremated and have my ashes put in the ocean. As cremation is considered a polluting and energy-wasteful choice I'm forced to reconsider... the world has changed. The $100 cardboard box might do the trick.

Tyeee
 not spongebob square pant
Msg: 2
Go Green with a biodegradable coffin.
Posted: 1/23/2008 1:06:21 PM
cardboard boxes ..... the bugs go in and the bugs go out .....No Thanks....

cremation is my choice....however not until my organs or whatever is needed is donated. Then guess I will sit on a mantle somewhere. Do not put me in the ground or I will haunt till the end of time
 kev0469
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 1:22:36 PM
Cremation for me.Ashes in the mountains near a lake.
No funeral just a small gathering.Simple and tidy.

kev
 ~CARL LINGUS69~
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 1:37:11 PM
Hey SSP i want first pickings on organs
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 1:43:51 PM
Morbid thoughts OP????

Me... well I decided quite some time ago to have my remains cremated and have my ashes put in the ocean.

Polluting more water???? Not even food for the next generation of Spring salmon to grow up to become Tyees
 pee wee herman
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/23/2008 2:27:45 PM
Cremation me to the moon
 shall tell
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/23/2008 2:37:51 PM
ice floe..................................................................................enviromentally friedly, food for bears,final cruise.
 Tyeee
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/23/2008 3:42:15 PM
ice floe.... enviromentally friedly, food for bears,final cruise.

A grand idea for sure, gotta love the attitude of the Inuit elderly. It is somewhat more achievable to those living in Winterpeg and other Manitoba places, than us for us fishes on the west coast.

Given the concerns regarding how global warming is delaying the freeze of Hudson's Bay and concern for the polar bears species your choice may no longer be an option when your time comes. You might need a backup plan.

Some interesting comments on this topic so far, and noteworthy is that no one has indicated the choice of traditional coffin, yet.

After Carl Lingus is done, will there be any organs of nssp left to pick over for the rest of us?

Tyeee

vvv EDIT: Thanks. I'll keep a log handy. Maybe an orca will take the place of a polar bear.
 shall tell
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/23/2008 3:56:52 PM
i'm sure there's a stray log you could lash onto. and feed the tyees as was mentioned, rotisirree style. and since your cat ferrys are gone, no worries there.
 gon_fishin
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/23/2008 4:05:45 PM
ummm.. aren't headstones... just that.. some kind of stone??? lol

seems biodegradeable enough to me.

As for the 100$ cardboard box?? I'll sell ya some cheaper than that
 Sassybabee
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/23/2008 4:34:07 PM
I always wanted to be cremated and then put in the ocean as well Tyee....but since thats not environmentally friendly i have to rethink that
And well since I will be biodegradable when i die...A cardboard box will be Just fine thank you
BUT a $100.00 bucks??? I dont know about you...but I know i can find one to fit me for free...There in my storage room
 * L *
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 5:21:09 PM
Harvest my good parts and burn the rest please ! << now thats going green RECYCLE !
don't forget to have a celebration of life too with lots of laughing!

edit/add -
I was just thinking if you volunteer your working parts you should get a break on death taxes and or services.
..... bet they would get more donors that way!
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 5:43:10 PM
more fire???? y'all getting prepared to burn in hell
sheesh isn't that even more pollution???
Here you spent xx decades breathing in oxygen and producing whatever toxic gases and then you wanna go out in more flames?
And what about the soul, is it fire proof?
What's wrong with good old boot hill, nice dry and sunny spot....

stick around just little longer, will ya?
 thumper*
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/23/2008 6:15:37 PM
This has been my wish for years...and I have posted this before...

but I say...throw me in a big bon fire...in a biodegradable paper of some sort...take my ashes
to the my pasture...let my horses eat my ashes...through the grains and grasses,
then poop me out...and become the circle of life.

Now that's PASSING!

I'm not kidding about this...
I want everyone to hear...another one bites the dust
Mull of Kintyre
We rise again
and
Higher....

and I'd be environmentally friendly..no haunting for this girl.
 * L *
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2008 6:19:52 PM
^^^ aint she a good shYte !
 Entzauberung
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/21/2009 11:26:45 PM
A friend passed away on the weekend and he was cremated this morning.
No service at his request.
 rockondon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2009 11:37:26 PM
throw me to the sharks, I wont care anymore
 Entzauberung
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/30/2009 1:21:30 PM
I caught a bit of a news clip on "Green Burials" which mentioned how even the headstone was biodegradable and environmentally friendly. The cost was approximately 70% less expensive than a traditional burial. Land isn't cheap these days, nor are caskets.

I found some interesting links and have excerpted a few comments from them but do go read the full stories there.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/goinggreen/green-burials.html

As well, since the casket breaks down, embalming fluid is not used. Salisbury says, "A lot of people find the idea of flooding their body with all of these unnatural chemicals in the end in order to make them look like they are asleep rather than dead is denying the fact they're dead."

Gordon Ropchan, the president of Imperial Evergreen Casket of Burnaby, B.C., sells a number of products suitable for natural burials. "We have caskets made of an unfinished paperboard product, solid pine, or cloth-covered particle board. We also have a burial shroud, like a cloth envelope, made of hemp cloth, as well as casket-shaped woven baskets."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-cemetery

Environmental issues with conventional burial

Each year, 22,500 cemeteries across the United States bury approximately:
30 million board feet (70,000 m³) of hardwoods (caskets)
90,272 tons of steel (caskets)
14,000 tons of steel (vaults)
2,700 tons of copper and bronze (caskets)
1,636,000 tons of reinforced concrete (vaults)
827,060 US gallons (3,130 m³) of embalming fluid, which most commonly includes formaldehyde.

(Compiled from statistics by Casket and Funeral Association of America, Cremation Association of North America, Doric Inc., The Rainforest Action Network, and Mary Woodsen, Pre-Posthumous Society)

The chemical properties of formaldehyde should be noted - once formaldehyde has been used for embalming purposes, it is no longer (technically and chemically) formaldehyde. The formaldehyde has broken down and the chemicals released into the ground after burial and ensuing decomposition are inert.
The problems associated with formaldehyde and its constituent components when used in a natural burial setting are the unnecessary chemical exposure to mortuary workers and the destruction of the decomposer microbes necessary for breakdown of the body in the soil.

http://www.memorialsocietybc.org/c/g/

Are green burials something new?
In fact, green burials are as old as life itself. Before the practice of embalming and use of sealed caskets became the norm in North America (initially, because of the long distances human remains often needed to be transported), virtually all burials were green. Even today, in many small, rural cemeteries, it may still be possible to be buried "green."

Can different types of burial be green?
Yes, "greenness" might be assigned different levels based on interment practices. The MSBC considers minimum requirements for a burial to be considered green to include: a biodegradable coffin, no embalming and no grave liner. The Society's second level includes the minimum requirements plus the planting of flowers or small shrubs on and next to graves. The highest level is the natural setting of a nature or burial park.

What prevents me from choosing a green burial?
The most obvious obstacle may be existing cemetery practices. Virtually all cemeteries accept unembalmed remains and biodegradable coffins, but most insist on grave liners to facilitate lawn maintenance - the regular maintenance of which can cause further environmental damage. No 'natural' burial parks currently exist in Canada.

What is happening in British Columbia?
The Memorial Society of BC recognizes that individual members may differ in the standards they use to consider a burial acceptably 'green.' Accordingly, it is actively working to ensure that all levels of green burials are available throughout the province.
To have your name included in the growing list of persons to be notified of new MSBC Green Burial initiatives as they develop,

No 'natural' burial parks currently exist in Canada. Hmm, might be a good idea for a new business, cosidering how many people want to live and presumably die in an environmentally-friendly fashion.
 Phuqd
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/30/2009 3:15:46 PM
Space Funeral

I don't know that I have to say more, but I will.

http://www.memorialspaceflights.com/

sweet.
 batdann
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/30/2009 11:07:28 PM
I say put a stone out too remember and get cremated, very economiacal lol
 gravelroad
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/27/2011 10:40:12 AM
I won't need a coffin.
I plan to have my body ground-up for dog food.
 HaloKitty
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 10:41:45 AM
I won't need a coffin. I'm going to piss all the haters off and just not die.
 gravelroad
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/27/2011 11:27:51 AM
I'd like to watch you do that Kitten
 earthboundangel67
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/27/2011 12:27:49 PM
oh my, always thought I just wanted to be cremated...and throw me where ever...now....so much more to think about definitely wanna go green....and cheap....decisions, decisions....
 Indenial
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/28/2011 11:04:39 PM
I am gonna get embalmed . Have some one take pics and keep on posting on POF, cause I never date any how ....
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Go "Green" with a biodegradable coffin.