Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > After the break-up: What to do with all the gifts from your ex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 petite2760
Msg: 4
After the break-up: What to do with all the gifts from your ex?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Very nice profile , BTW, Emilio.

If you are still in communication with her, ask if she wants some of it back. If not, then you decide which ones you want to keep or don't want to keep.

I have kept some of my Ex's stuff only because I wanted to tell the story ( complex to have to elaborate on this one) to my kids..

Hope that helps.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 9
After the break-up: What to do with all the gifts from your ex?
Posted: 1/24/2008 7:56:07 PM
I keep the stuff. It's mine, right? One of my favorite rings used to be "his".
 texasbilly
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:37:59 PM
I agree with skydreamer I am the sentimental type and always keep my memories. After ALL it was an important part of your life. Good Luck
 betterlate
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:38:30 PM
I say pack them up neatly in a box ready to return to the ex, then think about it for awhile. If you still like the sock and shirts and it wont hurt to wear them, then wear them, if it is too much, send it all back to the ex, then let them deal with it. I like to get rid of things that have bad feelings attached to them, regardless of value. I loved the post of the woman that sold everything and donated it to homeless animals.. What a very sweet and wonderful thing to do.

You will meet a new person and this will all fade no matter how it feels now. If you really want to move on, then either send it back, sell it, donate it or just think about it for awhile, but put it away so you dont have to see it every day.

BL
 CherylCake
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:58:03 PM
Wear the clothes proudly, the jewelry regally, the sox comfortably, assured in the fact that someone loved you enough to bless you with a material token. Which by the way, you earned by being wonderful enough to inspire a gift, just as they inspired whatever gifts you bestowed upon them. Why think negatively about them? The positive road is always the most blessed. You had a learning experience, and those things are your diploma. Smile when you see them & think sweet, secret thoughts.
 swfl_dan
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2008 3:47:23 PM
If none of it bothers you, keep it - they were gifts.

If having them around reminds you too much of her and it's uncomfortable, box it up and give it to Good Will.

Ditch the pictures, keep the frames for the pics of you and the next someone ;)
 Commonsens
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/25/2008 4:05:59 PM
heu? what gift? i didnt get any!
 fancynanci
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2008 4:33:53 PM
I just recently put all his gifts into a drawer in the dresser in my guestroom.
 snowpeas
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/26/2008 3:29:08 AM
After a few days / weeks / months of breakin-up...of course it feels like,You want to burn ..discard and give it all up everything . All the memories you don't want to remember..Gifts that you hate.Looking back... and knowing him for 15 yrs everything was painful.But hey! life goes on.. after three years of healing and getting back myself together I love to enjoy the jewelry goes well with my outfit ..specially the diamond rings ... (and now i'm thinking mmmmmm this guy got the taste.. )

Just throw away all the negativity ...when all the pain / the crying / the blaming are all gone you will realized that those things are beautiful memories and ..lesson learned to make you a better and stronger person ...OP give yourself time to heal...been there It's really all for the best ..
 Lario
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 3:44:39 AM
If the socks are orange.... send 'em to me... I just loooove orange socks.

Keep the stuff... but take the photo's down and box 'em up until y'all get back together. In a few years come home drunk, pull 'em out, realize you still love her and call her at 2 am.
 suzie74
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/26/2008 6:55:12 AM
My x came to my house and dumped everything on my lawn. Including bath towels, toothpaste, toilet seat cover. Everything that was mine got dumped. Even the x mas gifts my family bought him got dumped. My whole lawn was covered with clothes, food, electronics, pictures, candles, dvds ETC.

Anyhow. I just boxed up everything. Returned the karaoke machine I bought him and used the money for the salon. I also have a remote car starter waiting to be installed. But i dunno if im gonna keep it. I wish I could return it. But i don the receipt.
 suzie74
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/26/2008 7:09:53 AM
Ya, I broke up with him on Wed.
 ~rain~
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 7:12:39 AM
You do with them...whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you want to chuck everything int he trash , well thats up to you. Dont do anything you might regret later though.

What I have done in the past is get a box, and throw everything in there and put it away for now. Then down the road you can look through that box,,(usually when you have forgotten all about it) and you can choose what you want to do with it then

As for clothing...if you like it................wear it until you cant anymore.
 suzie74
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/26/2008 7:15:38 AM
Yes it absolutely is 100% over! And I was with him for 6 months. Its just rough because we were with each other 24/7. Except when i was at work or at the gym.
 sunnykatt
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 3:49:54 PM
Delete the screensaver.
Keep the watch and CD's
Do you like the shirt and socks? Keep them if you do. Socks get holes it them. Shirts get stains and make great work shirts or dust clothes --RECYLE
Keep a few of the pictures, that is a part of your life, you cann't just erase it. Put them up somewhere out of sight but handy when you decide you are ready to look at them again. You don't have to keep all of them. Did you go on a trip and sightsee? Keep those pictures. They are of the trip, NOT of the ex..
 sunnykatt
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 3:54:13 PM
Sounds to me like you make better friends than you would be if you were back in an intimate relationship with him. Take his friendship with open arms and accept it for what it is. A true good friend is hard to find and it sounds to me like you have one in him.
 suzie74
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/1/2008 5:12:17 AM
HA! I got the car starter installed yesterday. What was I thinking about giving it back???
 tweek104
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/1/2008 6:02:15 AM
Well I've been through a recent bad break-up, and I found the best way to deal with the gifts that she doesn't want back is plain and simple. Fire pit and some kinda highly flammable fuel.
 Miss W
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/8/2008 4:48:39 PM
It all depends on the relationship, and how the breakup went and the gifts. Some things are kept and used (like a Kitchenaid mixer) with warm memories, others go
 kittybiscuit
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/8/2008 5:36:46 PM
If you don't want it and it can be useful to someone else, I would suggest donating it to a homeless shelter, women's shelter or charity of your choice. Someone else can use clothes, appliances, etc and it is better than it sitting in a landfill. I don't like the idea of throwing stuff in the trash just because you got burned. Someone else might find a use for it. I guess I am old fashioned.
 eddieei8ht
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 5:51:31 PM
not really sure what to say on this subject, my ex is still wearing her engagement ring even tho we have parted, i mean why wear the damn thing your through with me. i just put all her stuff in a box, and put it in the utility building for now, just doing 2 things here, waiting and hoping, but not much chance, and then i'm moving on, can't put your life on hold for what could've been, so, tomorrow is a brighter day, even tho it still hurts like 40 hells
 rookiemom
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/9/2008 9:52:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing. with my ex husband, I saved a few things to pass on to my kids. But after the end of a relationship, I don't know what to do with the "stuff". My ex BF was much more generous than my ex husband. I guess if it doesn't make me cry, I'll keep it!
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/10/2008 1:49:13 PM
here we get down to entitlemen. If she gives you a gift it is yours. If you give her a gift it is hers. Now if you have stuff of hers lying around your house.... Like say an xbox a DVD player. eachothers clothes give them back. My ex-girlfriend has an uncountable number of my socks that she has no plans on giving back. she wears them. ITs not like she stole my car though they are socks. We ahve bought eachother some decent gifts over the eyars we kept those becuase theya re gifts. And She is giving me my DVD player back.
 bigshrek
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/10/2008 3:55:55 PM
Box the pics. use the frames for your fishing/football/etc photos.
Leftover frames & other junk-yard sale or donate to charity.
Diamond Bracelet/jewelry/expensive stuff, save for the next gal or surprise your mother for mother's day.

Three years later I'm still feeling the effects...we broke up three weeks before the wedding...I took all the engraved stuff and traded it in for new stuff for ME...an engraved giant mug with King James on it Gotta get the ole ego running again...can't stay in the dumper. A pocketwatch & keychain engraved...and a pocket flask engraved...I just switched it from being all about her and reminded myself that it's all about ME and My Happiness...if someone doesn't love you for you...they can fawk off and you just keep moving on. But it still sucks and it still will hit you below the belt until you find someone else to love...so don't just mope because the best way to get over someone is to get UNDER someone else
Preferrably several someone else's!!
 mypinkcadillac
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2008 4:18:58 PM
Wordaholic wrote:
"week 1....come get your stupid shit
week 2....i dont want your stupid shit
week 4....why doesnt he want his stupid shit
week 7...stupid shit
week 10.....wow, i could use this stupid shit
week 13.....man this is some great shit
bet i got the best set of tools a broad could never want,, but has" :

OMG, you should copyright that if it is original! It is soooooo true. Emotionally, things change and some of that stuff is going to come in handy. I had been married 21 years and did not get rid of stuff right away. Much of it was packed. There are still photos under the glass in my coffee table mostly cuz I don't pay attention to the fact they are there and there's usually tons of junk on it. The rest of the photos are boxed up. He got rid of all our photos and even sent tons of kids photos over to me so much so I find it hard to believe he has any left.
Sold all the jewelry and got virtually nothing for it including a 4 carat diamond tennis bracelet, but I might have kept it if I hadn't needed the money so badly at the time. Clothes? Are you kidding? I got rid of the stuff that didn't fit anymore, but I acquired much during the marriage. Got some new stuff after, but if I had gotten rid of the clothes that would have been a waste. Too costly to get more.
My son just went thru his stuff after a breakup tho, and got rid of all the clothes. I say do what feels right.
Judging from all the posts, there is no protocol. Except to the gentleman who wanted to know about whether he could melt done a composite ring yet again and reuse -
nyet nyet nay no nein neva! ahah nowayjose ohnohedi'intaskthat...
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > After the break-up: What to do with all the gifts from your ex?