Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you be in a poly relationship      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 outlaw1969
Msg: 1
Would you be in a poly relationshipPage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I have ben pondering this question for a while and I thought id post it on the forums to get some input from a broad range of people.Would you be in a poly relationship.If not why would you not.And if you would why whould you be in a poly relationship
 outlaw1969
Msg: 2
Would you be in a poly relationship
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:42:50 PM
A poly relationship is where you have multiple lovewrs at one time
 ~blue eyes~
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:42:54 PM
You mean have a bunch of guys all in a relationship with me?
Nice thought too much work so nope I would not.
 Beholder
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:43:20 PM

What the heck is a poly relationship?
I'm guessing he means polyamory or polygamy - so multiple people are involved.

For me, no, I couldn't do that - if we ignore for the moment I can't get one woman, I still wouldn't want multiple partners. It just doesn't appeal to me, I can't really explain it any better than that.

However, as far as I'm concerned, if other people want to poly it up (and are all consenting adults), they can go right ahead. If it works for you and it makes you happy, then more power to you.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:46:36 PM
I'm assuming...you mean polyamorous. If you mean polyester...AKK, that went out with the Pips and their flourescent suits in the 70's. (sorry to Gladys Knight....the woman has some great pipes)

Me? Never, not into swinging (other than at the park, with the kids) or an open relationship. I'm just not suited for all that, serially and consciously, willfully monogamous. It ain't that bad, and never boring, unless you allow it to be. Some things aren't meant to be shared.

"The only multiples I like are in bed with my one man!!!! " coastergal, you and me think alike!!
 Poodlefancy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:55:00 PM
Interesting topic. Polygamy is not for me, even if it meant the work would be shared. My problem would be sharing the intimacy. As as I understand from reading etc. that in the polygamy relationship the "sister wives" share in the child rearing, homemaking, chores, and all get along. Some even want to bring more "sister wives" in.

I would not ever consider that type relationship a possibility but if others are consenting and comfortable so be it. I do not think the "family" should be allowed government assistance to care for all of the offspring. If the man wants to father a bunch of children he should support them and all his wives....Hmmm. that might not make the arrangement seem so cozy, LOL!!
 dantaylor27
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:34:34 PM
nah , no way , i was married and dealing with one wife was hard enough . not just no but hell no!
 Account Deleted
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:43:03 PM
NO, nadda, nyet, neva! non .. absofrikkinlutely NOT.
I will never date a parrot!

lmao! .. I know I know - but I'm in a giddy mood. Still I won't date parrots OR multiple partners.
Somethin to do with crackers..

A.S.is
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:51:27 PM
My dream is to have this kind of poly relationship:

One man-a metrosexual guy- to give me pedicures and read nice books to me

One man-professor type- to take me to the theater

One man-average joe- to take me to baseball games

One man-a chef- to cook for me and gaze lovingly in my eyes over a candlelit table

One man-a religious man- to go to church, meet the fam

One man-a naughty one- to explore our wildest fantasies in the bedroom

But then I wake up.

And, to answer the question seriously, no way.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:56:43 PM
~OP~ Wrong site to ask this type of question.....LOL....you'll figure out it's rather conservative!!! (Putting in mildly.) I have one set of friends that are a poly-household. Other than my one friend in an open-marriage, they seem to be the ONLY ones making a go of it. Everyone else in our circle has either divorced, broken-up or is clearly miserable. I suppose it's personal preference. I wouldn't do well in a poly household because I'm entirely too territorial and even if I were the alpha female, there would be issues. My friends on the other hand, well, they just seem to work. His wife of 18 years is a stay at home mom, the gal that joined the union is a Berkley grad with a Ph.d. He gets different aspects of his needs filled between the two. It works for them. I recently watched a series on polyamorous relationships and this man was wanting to add woman #3. The first two had been with him 19 years and 15 years and they clearly did not take to #3, so she was not welcome. I suppose it's a dynamic that in the world of "monogamous relationships being the I-Ching" not many would understand they concept, dynamic or the reality: not all people are happy being with just one partner. Nothing wrong with that as long as everyone knows the truth and all agree. I judge no one's relationships but my own. Who am I to say what makes someone else happy or might work for someone else? JMO
 peiganjan
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:11:40 PM
no way.
call me selfish, but i don't share.
 BamaBob
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:15:49 PM
Too far out for me... I just would NOT want to handle it. Hard enough to have a normal semblance of life as it is.... sounds stupid to complicate it any more than it already is.
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:22:07 PM
Definitely not for me....
Once im in a relationship,im strictly a 1-man woman.....
Absolutely no need to be looking elsewhere for anything......!!
 CallmeJewels
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:26:53 PM
Nope...only want one!
 a bit nomadic
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/25/2008 8:24:52 PM
noooooo.

But to each their own!
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/25/2008 9:26:23 PM
My Sweetie's a Gemini - Does this mean I'm in a poly relationship?

Seriously, it wouldn't work for us - we only share with each other.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/25/2008 10:26:56 PM
I think I could do this, no problem emotionally. Problem PHYSICALLY for me, though--I don't do threesomes or fourgies or anything liek that. But I've had 2 BFs at once (not in the same bed), and it worked out for me. I didn't ask if THEY were dating others, because I didn't care, so long as I was happy. Why ask questions?

Polyamory to me is 3-4 people committed to each other; living pretty much under the same roof. I don't think I could do that.
 Frau Bl├╝cher
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/26/2008 12:52:58 AM
I would never be in a poly relationship. I could not fathom sharing my man with other women, nor would I want to be intimately involved with anyone but my significant other.

Poly wanna mack her?
 ^^Batgirl^^
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/26/2008 1:00:11 AM
Shoot, I can't even find one that suits me, what makes you think I would find many?

^^BG^^
 Pondside
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/26/2008 8:33:24 AM
No way.... to risky.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2008 8:50:05 AM
I could be, but I don't have to be. I personally think it is a natural state of human relationships. This notion that we can have one and only one at a time being a relatively new feature in human culture (created from an edict by the Pope about 500 years ago). Humans have never been so strictly monogamous over thousands of years of living and loving.

I also believe that many of our current cultural rules were adopted when the majority of human beings on the planet didn't live past 35.

But I believe that if poly dynamics were more accepted by people we could see more relationships lasting forever. Imagine you are in a relationship and it is getting stale in the romance department or you are simply a little tired of one another. Lets say your common interests have become boring or your interests have changed to something that is no longer shared between you and life is just dull. You meet someone who makes your heart pound against your chest and touches different aspects of your personality and it really feels fresh and wonderful. Now imagine your partner actually encourages you to experience that and imagine your new love interest understands, accepts, and respects your primary relationship. It isn't about "stealing you away" from anyone. It is about sharing what you share in the moment.

Now your sex drive is through the roof, you have found a new appreciation for your primary love and you so appreciate the trust and caring he obviously has for you in allowing you to explore your feelings for this new love and you find yourself falling in love with him all over again.

I know that happens, I have seen it happen. But it takes a lot of real communications, real dedication to each other and a lot of real and true love for one another. It doesn't work for everyone, probably not for most but where it does work, it can be wonderful and a relationship can really and truly last until death do you part.

I believe that there isn't a finite amount of love. I don't believe that if you love one person and then have feelings for another that you have to somehow take love from one to give to the other. I believe that total amount of love you have in your heart grows. Like when you have a second child, you don't have to love the first less to love the second. The amount of love you have in your heart doubles. You find you have a whole new spring of love for the new one and you still love the old one just as much. I believe it can work the same way in chosen relationships.
 short_momma
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/26/2008 9:10:15 AM
There is a chance I could be in an "open" relationship and be comfortable, but I don't think I could be in a poly one. Poly would be having someone in our relationship all the time and I think that would be too emotionally draining for me.
 wondering1980
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/28/2008 8:43:37 PM
what is a poly relationship?
 wondering1980
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/28/2008 8:51:24 PM
ohh i just saw what a poly relationship is..eww that nasty talk about bringing drama into the relationship. and showing lack of respect for there bodies too. ..i'm a one man woman i ain't sharing my man with no one.
 Fractalheart
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/28/2008 11:38:26 PM
All this time I thought poly relationships were common for women who are "dating". If you are sleeping with someone you are not dating, you are just a whore who can't commit; same goes for guys.

I guess that answers the question for me, doesn't it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you be in a poly relationship