Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What does it take to be successful on POF?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CherylCake
Msg: 3
What does it take to be successful on POF?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It's all about the picture. Then the profile should say something unusual. Change either one, and you get different responses, depending on what you want. I've been here almost a year & I have met all kinds. Had some clinkers, but had some astoundingly fun times as well. I'm gonna die smiling, because of some of the experiences I have had.
 cloudthree
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What does it take to be successful on POF?
Posted: 1/27/2008 6:01:43 AM
My POF experience has been very positive. I have met and made friends on POF that I might never had known. Being truthful in your profiles is step number one. Deception will come back and haunt you sooner or later.
In actuality I never had a problem dating not now, not ever. POF however just broadens the base of people you can get to know. I have one great lady I met on POF that connects with me every day. We laugh ourselves to sleep vitually every night, and exchange our life experiences. Where anyone's life goes is always a question. There is someone for everyone and never let age, or miles be a deterrent. Love comes in many ways. You will know and when that day comes and above all work on it. Never let it slip through your fingers. He who hesitates is lost.

My "Spin" on that question for what it is worth.
 texasbilly
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2008 11:42:09 AM
OP I am not trying to offend you but may I suggest first change your screen name Zeroexpetations = zero results! In your about me on your profile you say you are now only going to log on for the threads. That does not make you sound very approachable. Get positive get active & get results! I am not sure how Budda works but I've found things work in Gods time & plan not ours. Good Luck
 texasbilly
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2008 1:09:44 PM
I know what you mean it can be discouraging but I have a never give up or quit attitude. I belive everything happens for a reason. Really. And sometimes we may never know why other times perhaps years later it becomes crystal clear. I try to learn something useful and positive from every relationship or even date. I figure everything that has happened has been to teach me and prepair me for when my True Soul - Mate comes along. As I often say in the dating world It's a jungle out there. Good Luck!
 northeast25
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/27/2008 2:02:57 PM
Patience, realistic expectations, and maybe some good luck as well.
 ________
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/27/2008 7:47:17 PM
I think the zero expectations is pretty close to the reality. It's exclusively for email chat from my experience here... But it's okay for that.
 subhacker
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2008 9:30:04 PM

Guys who really don't care what a girl looks like, as long as she is female of legal age

The better looking you are, the more attention you get, the more choices you have. Simple fact

You just contradicted your first statement.

I see no contradiction. Your "pond" is the intersection of people you find acceptable with people who find you acceptable. Success come easiest to those who are very attractive and like everybody. It is most difficult for very unattractive people who are picky. In between are attractive people who are picky and unattractive people who are accepting.
 lip locked
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/28/2008 12:51:30 AM
well hard to say just keep mixing it up and see what you get. unique stuff about yourself and the pic is what catches ones eye to respond. you need to give us guys something inertesting to bit from. Ya know to start a com=nversation with. chat for a bit even im then meet. If it doesnt flow then wont go.
 *buzz*
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2008 1:12:29 PM
Whether the success with happen thanks to appearances on PoF or round the corner where one is living - IMO - it is about being like who we really are. All start with treating others as one would wish to be treated. Echoes ... echoes ...
 ItsMargo
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2008 5:53:11 PM

There ARE people that are happy and successful on here. There are even people who meet a LTR person and have a real relationship that lasts. I'm wondering if it's all due to fate or karma or whatever, or if there are strategies and techniques that improve ones rate of success.

I'm highly suspicious of strategies and techniques... that really is game plying after all.

Be real, be honest... keep being you. After all, they will be in relationship with you, so BE that.
But... give them something in your profile that is honestly you, but gives them something to respond to, something to start a conversation with. Ditch negativity... you don't want someone who responds to negative crap, do you?

I had some silly comment on my profile, silly, but reflective of my approach to dating and getting to no someone... something along the line of "meet, get to know each other and see if we develop the legs to walk into next month with". My guy responded with some sarcastic comment about it being the last week in the month...

It was a start... and all these months later I still like his legs.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/31/2013 7:35:24 PM

I think the most successful step that anyone can take is to be themselves and use your profile to let people get an idea of who you are and what you are about.

You're right, 123carrie. After an extended search, I finally found a fit, athletic, intelligent man with a great sense of humor who treats me with respect, kindness and love. He also loves hiking. Here's what worked:

1. I wrote my profile from my heart, making it upbeat and interesting with a touch of humor. Used correct spelling and grammar.

2. Posted clear, bright photos with a quality digital camera, showing me smiling and doing activities I enjoy. Updated my photos.

3. Described what I was looking for in a man using personality traits. Asked for what I wanted. Clearly described what I want in a relationship.

4. Tightened my age requirements to eliminate crass, young guys messaging for sex.

4. Viewed dating with a sense of humor.

5. Learned not to get all "twitty-pated" over a man before meeting. Nothing is real until you meet. Texting does not build a relationship.

6. Strengthened my boundaries with men who said they want a relationship, but just want sex.

7. Continued exercising, hiking and having fun in life.
 Cynderella
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2013 8:35:26 PM
You need a big funny bone...

I don't think there is a tried and tested method that works...laugh off rejection and embrace the wild side.
 rockstar1118nj
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/2/2013 8:35:09 AM
the biggest thing you need to be successful in here is being part of reality.

You know what you're liking for, but what can you bring to that relationship? It's gotta go both ways. If you expect her to be w illing to settle on you, then why should she be the one to settle and not you? (Same goes for girls about guys). If you want a girl with s foot body that goes to the gym every day, then you should probably also be into going to the gym all the time too. There's other things that could attract her to you, but if you're looking for a specific detail, then you need to actually fit with whatever that is.

if you're only looking for friends, then looks shouldn't matter.

You gotta be honest with yourself about what you're looking for, and figure out if what you're looking for should have any interest at all in you. That's the only way to be successful. Remember, someone that exercises every day, stays fit, likes to be outside and maybe play sports, probably doesn't want to be with someone that plays video games slip day, only eats gay food, and looks like they haven't seen the sun in years... but if that same girl played video games. then that guy that also played video games could have a chance, but he'd want to be liking for someone who plays video games, not someone who stays in shape
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What does it take to be successful on POF?