Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is philosophy an art or a science, and what is its importance?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lady~s Lament
Msg: 1
Is philosophy an art or a science, and what is its importance?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
To ask questions? To give answers? To pose new challanges on previous or outdated beliefs? To bump heads with fellow intellectuals? Sharing or exchanging of ideas? Expression?

AND

Is philosophy an Art or a science?

What's your answer to this question? I'm new here, and I'm just curious.
 AppleGeek
Msg: 2
Is philosophy an art or a science, and what is its importance?
Posted: 1/30/2008 4:16:57 PM
I thought philosophy was philosophy not science or art.

Art is inspirational and creative.
Science is facts and tests.
Philosophy is intuition and logic.
 caffeine7
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2008 10:10:07 AM
philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom...by logic...
 nickg45
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 6:16:44 PM
Was it not Jung who said "science, philosophy, religion, art, they are all branches of the same tree.
 nickg45
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 11:26:10 AM
We are speaking of the tree of life. Together the particals that shape and explain us are one in the selves. What diffence does it make the function that they are assinged,it all works towards the same end.
 nickg45
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 10:11:31 AM
What is the point to philosophy, your looking for hard answers and allowing the point to pass you by. John coltrane never had an ego , listen to his music and you'll hear a message. If you let ego interfere then it will just be noise.
 BlahGrim
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 10:00:36 AM
Philosophy in the past was an attempt to answer questions about the world using logic instead of appeals to supernatural means. Most of what was in the past philosophy has been broken off into their own disciplines: Physics, Psychology, Chemistry, Political Science, ect. This leaves behind the questions that legitimate "Science" won't touch with a 10 foot pole. Essentually...the questions that don't appear to be verifiable. Why are we here? Why shouldn't I shoot people for cutting me off? Do I have freewill?
 nickg45
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2008 2:47:55 PM
My apologies TaiChijohn I guess I lost my place.
 etherealone
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/19/2008 2:51:47 PM
If we just move your own words around, we can make more sense out of what may be perplexing to you.

SCIENCE can be both an art and/or philosophy.
 basher2
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 8:38:42 PM
So, to weigh in on an already contentious topic, here goes.
(First off, I'm not too sure what endo-consistency, and exo-consistency mean. I assume something like internal consistency, and a consistency with somethings surrounding, but I suspect there is much more to these concepts, and I wouldn't want to trivialize them by not understanding them. Taichi guy, could you maybe provide a brief explanation of them. You seemed to explain everything else quite succinctly, but I don't understand those concepts)

So, is philosophy an art or a science? Quite rightly, it has been pointed out that these are not strictly defined terms. Is something a science only if it can be quantified? Much of quantum physics, especially at its inception, involved purely thought experiments. Schoedinger's Cat was not an actual experiment, it was simply a hypothesis. Did quantum physics only become a science once the theories could be quantified? What about art? How do you define what an art is? Is war an art? Is tai chi an art? Is writing an art? All of these things can be considered art, yet they can be quantified, so it leaves the original question undefined. So, what I will address my post to is the question "what is philosophy?"

As has been stated, logic is not philosophy. However, logic is the language of philosophy, just as math is the language of physics. Any philosophy must meet the rigorous demands of logic (note, please, that I mean the formal definition of a consistently defined logic, not the informal definition where, "yeah, that makes sense. It's logical"), or it completely falls apart. ONE area which philosophers have concerned themselves with is the definition of things, entities and relationships. Without these building blocks, no "science" could exist. This is the basis of all science. You must define the things you are dealing with, their relationships, behavior, and what governs all of those things. In the same way that a profound understanding of physics is necessary to predict where a spinning baseball will land when given an initial velocity, in a gusting wind and rain, yet a person with little knowledge of the science of physics can catch a fly ball; much of science is done without intrinsicly using the philosophy which is at its root. However, philosophy is not limited to this. So, I've gotten absolutely nowhere in defining philosophy, except to say that it is at the root of science.

A similar argument applies to arts.
So, I'm going to go out on a limb here. Philosophy is neither art nor science. It provides a basis for both in the same way that logic provides a basis for philosophy. It provides the basis for determining whether an art or science is consistent.

So, what is its importance? If philosophy is LIKE a language, you need to know enough to express what you want to. If you need to express very complex, elegant theories, you need higher level language skills than if you do not. What I mean is, philosophy's importance to a person is a matter of personal choice, whereas the importance of philosophy to arts and sciences in general is similar to the importance of oxygen.
 basher2
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2008 11:40:16 AM

basher2, you are intellectualizing, brother.
dannydaniels

I'm sure trying to, double dan
 basher2
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 1:15:10 PM
This thread really reminds me of the story of the three blind men describing an elephant. (if you aren't familiar with it, just google it. I don't say it to imply anything negative about any people's views, as I include myself)

I only mention this to indicate that philosophy is very big, seems to have very different aspects, and a range of importance from none at all to the foundation of everything. Just as the idea of an elephant encompasses all of the descriptions of the blind men, I kind of wonder whether there is a full description of philosophy which encompasses even all of the descriptions given in this post.
 transcend
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2008 10:50:48 PM
In my view, philosophy is science for and by the soul . Since reality is a shared phenomena mentally perceived and detailed, the scientific method(s) and results tend to coalesce in areas of general agreement. The similarities in training of the mind as a collector of observations and processor of same make agreement of conclusions more likely compared to philosophy which depends on the mostly un or disorganized ,haphazard attempts to grow and agree on an ethically or factually consistent group of soul building and expressing practices.
Call it soul or call it character or center or whatever .. the methods the soul uses to see and share is philosophy..(once again, in my opinion)

I enjoy discussion but emotional arguments are a waste of intensity ,
pause for a few before replying ...and spare us both
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2008 11:59:12 PM
a: pursuit of wisdom b: a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means c: an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs.
 kansasisnice
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 5:46:46 AM
philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom...by logic...
that is pretty much the best answer ...... vary good. I study sociology .... it talks about the logic of behavior and what creates some aspects of human behavior .... other associated words with philosophy would be .... thesis, satires, paradigms, synopsis, myths, and likely a host of other words branched out of the term philosophy.

the works of the book of Plato is suppose to be a books of philosophy and the information in those books are studied in higher education .... and the applications thereof are used to run governments.

there is truth philosophy and false philosophy .... it could also be called a theory.

logic ... can be a matter of what is true and proven and what is untrue and not proven.
 Libra1181
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 12:59:49 PM
can't it be both? isn't philosophy the foundation in which scientific research is made?
 Ms.Birdie
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/29/2008 7:54:06 PM
Art is based on the aesthetic.

Philosophy is anything BUT the aethetic. Philosophy is, but not limited to a science.
 nickg45
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2008 12:47:21 PM
I need to make a correction . Jung did not say religion , science , and phlosiphy were branches from the same tree, It was albert Einstein
 scorpiomover
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 5:10:22 AM

Ok so tell me... if there is no right or wrong philosophy what is the purpose of the field?
The same purposes as other subjects.

An exercise in talking about fantasy ideas?
You mean like debate, rhetoric and creative writing?

A hobby for those who have a lot of extra time on their hands?
You mean like Fermat, who studied Mathematics in his spare time? Or do you mean like John Logie Baird, one of the 2 inventors of the television, who worked on this only in his spare time?

Would you say that 2 philosophers who have opposite philosophies are both correct?
Wouldn't Socrates say that "both are equally as true and as false as each other"?

And if so how is that possible?
Philosophically speaking, by attaining wisdom. When 2 facts contradict each other and are both true, that is called a contradiction, which is used in many proofs to tell you that you are assuming something is true, that is false, or that is false, that is true, and that once you change your assumption, the contradiction ceases to be a problem. Here too, the same is true.

Can I be a tree and a human at the same time?
Can you like cheese AND wine, at the same time?

Similarly, how can 2 opposite philosophic claims both be true?
That is the problem of logic, that something cannot be true and false at the same time, and as I explained, that is only ever true if you make an assumption that is false.

I've got friends who are interested in philosophy. When I want a debate for fun, I contact my philosophising friends. But when I want truth, I steer clear, because they simply don't use rigour to eliminate the 99% falsity in any argument.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2008 9:25:01 AM
RE msg 166 by Necro Vine:
I'm sure that the two you're thinking of ended up well fed and known for posterity.
They both died in poverty and obscurity.

Bern Porter worked on the telivision as well,
According to an interview Bern gave to a close correspondent, Phil Nurenberg, Bern worked for The Acheson Colloids Company in New York City in the late 1930s, and applied their graphite solution to the walls of the cathode ray tube, which provided opaque shielding for the electrical conductor.
http://www.panmodern.com/bern_nurenberg.html

But Baird was already demonstrating working television images in the 1920s.
http://inventors.about.com/od/britishinventions/a/JohnBaird.htm

who while working with NASA
NASA was established only in 1958, 30 years after Baird's first demonstrations.

Bern Porter nearly died of starvation,
Bern Porter was born in 1911, and died in 2004, at the grand old age of 93, so he DIDN'T die of starvation, and, considering he lived through the Great Depression, there were plenty of people who "nearly died of starvation", from that time, so unless he "almost died of starvation", during the 50s and 60s, while he was working for NASA, then it was NOT a result of his study, but a result of the pressures of the time.

But thanks for letting me know about Bern Porter. It's always nice to learn something new.
 Azazel6669
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 10:31:11 PM
Philosophy is an art. Up until the end of the 19th century, psychology was considered a branch of philosophy.
 sunwillsmile
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 3:45:17 AM
I believe that philosophy is both art and science as well as a variety of other things. Interdisciplinary. It seems that the further one studies in one field the more one discovers overlapping sciences/arts/etc.

Philosophy has so many denotations and connotations. It generally is considered an intellectual pursuit however I think that the act of posing any question could be argued as philosophical. To seek answers or patterns underneath what is viewed as the banal may qualify as philosophy too.

Of course it also depends upon one's take of pragmatics/semantics and the language tool we use to convey ideas.

I feel philosophy is important in allowing people to exercise deeper introspective thought processes on any number of topics. Thinking is good, philosophy involves much thinking, so philosophy is good. lol - Please forgive my rudimentary logic.
 mrchicken
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/22/2009 5:49:18 PM
WOW ! This is my first visit to Science and philosophy forums.

no wonder you people have your own space, you guys are way out there.

I'm with buddy, keep your rubber boots on in here! I'm outa here.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is philosophy an art or a science, and what is its importance?