Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > transgender boy can use girls restroom at school      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yna6
Msg: 2
transgender boy can use girls restroom at schoolPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Since when does a 10 yr old have "gender issues"? As if it matters at all. If the student is a male in body, then he can stay out of the girls room. If he isn't happy with that, he can wear Depends and keep everyone happy.

If that kind of crap is going to be allowed, perhaps the males should become "female" gender every time they have to hit the can!
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 4
transgender boy can use girls restroom at school
Posted: 1/30/2008 4:37:13 PM
If this child is actually transgender then he needs some type of special provisions made. Whether using the girls restroom (which ALL have stalls) or a teacher restroom (which the article said he was doing). YES, a 10 y/o can easily have gender identity issues. Do you think your 10 y/o son or daughter don't know what gender they are? transgender does not mean homosexual. It means he views himself as a female (and has from the minute he identified with a gender). People need to grow up. What if this was your child? Would you want him to have to use the boys restroom and risk being beaten, raped (YES, children that young do rape one another on occasion), or worse? It happens. If everyone would wake up and realize the whole world doesn't fit into one nice little cubby it would be a much better place to live.

Oh, and just a side note. I live alone with my three sons. Anytime I am out shopping with them and have to use the restroom I make them go in with me. They are 10, 8, and 6. I don't, personally, care what anyone thinks. I am not risking having my children kidnapped just because some idiot is embarrassed to have a boy in the women's restroom.
 nipoleon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2008 8:11:59 PM
It's always amazing how far people will take their silliness.
It's not a matter that 1 kid is allowed to use the girls room. Doesn't the grandfather think that there must be a good reason why the kid is using the girls room ?
Now, if all the other boys were allowed to go into the girls room but his kid was being kept out, then he might have a case.
He should just let it go and mind his own business.
 Kignmaker
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/30/2008 8:22:44 PM
Just turn all washrooms into co-ed with a lock on them. Problem solved.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/30/2008 8:41:38 PM

Just turn all washrooms into co-ed with a lock on them. Problem solved.

Honestly, one of the best and most logical solutions of all. :) I know a lot of businesses are starting to have "family restrooms" for mixed genders to use. It is certainly helpful.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/31/2008 3:48:16 AM
Transgender and gay are not the same thing.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/31/2008 3:50:49 AM
Arieanne, the thing you seem to be overlooking is that this child is not gay. He is transgender. You say "we are what we are....". That is not always the case, and with a child such as this, it is not. Forcing him to go in the boys restroom would have been more the equivalent of making that housekeeper take care of the sexually abusive patient and putting her in harms way. Damn people, it is the year 2008. When are you all going to wake up. Isn't it time to educate yourselves? This child sees himself as a girl and will spend the rest of his life doing so.
 badge3939
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/31/2008 7:29:28 AM
Are they going to let a transgender girl into the boys washroom?

Does this boy announce himself before entering a girls washroom? If he does not, a girl in the washroom may be tramitized with a boy coming in there. Stalls are a non issue. There are stalls in the boys washroom.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:15:58 AM

Does this boy announce himself before entering a girls washroom? If he does not, a girl in the washroom may be tramitized with a boy coming in there. Stalls are a non issue. There are stalls in the boys washroom.

I'm trying to imagine under what circumstances going into a room with member of the opposite sex suddenly causes a person to be "tramitized".
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:21:00 AM

I'm trying to imagine under what circumstances going into a room with member of the opposite sex suddenly causes a person to be "tramitized".

I sincerely hope it takes a bit more than that. If not, I have successfully traumatized a good portion of the town in which we live taking my boys to the restroom with me. If this is the case, the therapists here need to start paying me commission. :)

Oh, and for good old bill up there saying boys restrooms have stalls, again, this boy views himself as a girl. Would you want YOUR 10 y/o daughter to be forced to use the boys restroom and deal with all the boys at the urinal? They do NOT have stalls for those.
 Ezzee
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/31/2008 1:14:16 PM
I think we need to stop thinking and using the archaic thinking that there are only two sexes and people only identify with two sexes. There are many many more sexes out there, and many more indendities that the archaic thinking uses.

You know what, have your male and female bathrooms, but have you noticed how some business have come around and introduced things like family restrooms or unisex bathrooms. It's the wave of the future, and it will happen with or without you.

The only question I have is are these people and people like them going to move into the new millennium and the present time, or are they going to be stuck in the 1500s?
 yna6
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/31/2008 7:47:03 PM
Ah...to heck with it all....make all public washrooms unisex. Problem solved.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:11:04 PM
You have to consider the privacy and comfort level of all the other students. It's not just about one student with an unusual issue. If many other students are uncomfortable with him being in the girls' restroom, then he shouldn't be allowed there. The fact is that the transgender boy is NOT a genetic female. His gender chromosome pairing is "XY". He has no Barr bodies in his cheeks. He still has a male sexual organ. There are many other genetic markers which make him male.

Give the TB a separate restroom, or consign him back to the boys' restroom.
 badge3939
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/31/2008 8:36:56 PM
So we just been talking about the TB.

Msg1

<div class="quote">BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
District allows boy in girls' restrooms
Grandfather accuses officials of discriminating against heterosexuals.

The organization is reporting Paul Melanson found out his grandson's school was allowing another boy to use the girl's restroom, and decided that wasn't right. He told his grandson to follow the other boy into the girl's restroom whenever he saw the other boy doing it, and when he did, the boy was confronted by school officials and warned against such behavior, and the grandfather was confronted by police.

So are the officials discriminating against his grandson, for not letting him go into the girls washroom?

Now if a heterosexual was allowed in the girls washroom, the TB was following the heterosexual him. The school official confronted the TB and warned against such behavior.

Would that be discrimination?
Damm right it would be. Why? The TB is a minority, not the majority.

When would all this racism, discrimination end?

When the minorities stop yelling discrimination every time, something offends them, or They were not hired for a job.
As for racism. When minorities stop playing the race card, when one of their own gets into trouble with the law. They were not hired for a job.

The fact is. Sometime down the road, something you say or do is going to offend someone somewhere.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/1/2008 2:30:14 AM
I think every bathroom should be UNISEX. Human beings , particularly in the western world are too uptight about nudity. Maybe this is a case we can learn from 3rd world nations. You do not see any other animal put clothes on , than why do humans???? No, I am not a nudist but just thinking logically. Seems to me clothes should be optional though .
 spitfire6844
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2008 10:18:29 AM

I think every bathroom should be UNISEX.

That may be a future reality; but that's not the reality today. There's no reason to force those little girls into a social experiment where they are compelled to go to the bathroom with a genetic male. In today's world, that's too much of an imposition on those girls. If we're going to eventually transition to unisex bathrooms, let's start with the adults first, and not kids.

Letting the transgendered boy use the teacher's restroom is a good compromise.
 designingwoman
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2008 5:24:33 PM
People are born with their sexual orientation, and those who are transgendered are born in the wrong body. I would say that if there's a handicapped, unisex bathroom at the school let the transgendered boy use that.

I know very little about hermaphrodites, but I understand that they are born with both male and female genitals. It is a rare condition, and it is possible that he has this trait.
 MegaBite-Me
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:20:55 AM
I hate to resurrect a dead thread but... the bathrooms have stalls. What is the big deal?

As a transgender woman myself I can assure you that when choosing a bathroom it doesn't matter what is between your legs, it only matters what clothes you are wearing. One option is safe for everyone, and the other is scary and may potentially lead to violence.

I am closing in on 37 years old and I would be afraid to use the men's room. Imagine being 9.

If I was ever told to use the men's bathroom I'd laugh. As if.
 nebula22
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:48:35 AM
A sweet fishy....
You say this child sees himself as a girl and will do so for the rest of his life???
Have you ever heard of therapy???

I knew a man in Fla that was raised by his parents to think he was a girl.
He was reaching his teens when he discovered he was a man.
He was very bewildered about his sexual identity and became a gay..
I talked to him every time I got the chance..
He listened to me as he truley respected my opinion..
I got him to start asking girls out on dates..
He got many dates as he is a very good looking and intelligent man.
Now he is married to one of the most beutifull women on earth and is a very succesful and happy MAN..
Children cannot help what kind of parents they are born to..
But society can try to help these kids to be as normal as possible..
I know that all people cannot be helped or changed but it is Natural to be with the Opposite sex...
As far as restrooms go,,, I would also enjoy going to the girls restroom..
Maybe I could get more gals phone numbers that way...
 MegaBite-Me
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/24/2008 8:53:47 AM
The way you wrote it seems to indicate that his parents made the choice to raise him as a girl. It is quite different than making the decision yourself.
 o76923
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/21/2008 2:16:07 AM
Parents are allowed to do all sorts of crazy things to their kids these days. For example, many parents grow up believing in Santa. Eventually kids realize there is no Santa and they would even if nobody told them he was fake. They would because at a certain point in adolescent development, kids realize it is possible to lie and Santa doesn't make sense. Nobody says that it's the parents' fault that their children wound up believing in Santa even though it wasn't what they "really" felt. People go through changes and discover different things about themselves.

For a belief in Santa to be questioned, we need to understand the concept of lying, questioning authority, be provided with something to initiate Santa related thoughts (usually the christmas season), and come up with a conclusion. This probably won't happen until age 7 or later.

For heteronormative behavior to be questioned, we need to understand the concept of sexuality (not just post-pubescent but pre-pubescent as well), know that boys and girls are different, and be provided with an something that makes us think about gender. This can (in a strictly theoretical way) happen as early as 3 or 4. The roadblock stopping children from realizing that are the same as those for Santa. They have to question their parents.

I don't know the specific details with this friend of yours. But if by age 13 he didn't know the difference between anatomical males and females, I'm concerned. And I'm also somewhat disgusted that you would go so far as to try and make him conform to your behavior. But he wound up that way in the end. That's fine, but it could just as easily be him naturally changing. It's entirely possible his gender identity will change again at some point in the future.

Now, I personally agree with the unisex bathroom idea. And I actually do understand the notion of bathrooms based solely on anatomy. But let's think a bit harder for a minute. What will be more traumatizing to everyone involved: someone who thinks, acts, and dresses like a girl (even though this particular girl happens to have a penis) or someone who thinks, acts, and dresses like a girl going into a boy's bathroom. I know when I was in elementary school I wouldn't want a girl watching me use a urinal. And I'd have been even less thrilled with one in the bathroom changing for gym with me. However, I would have been even more terrified if I was the only boy in the girl's bathroom.

You are welcome to cling to your beliefs, talk about them, and teach them to your children, the same way you can teach them about Santa. But let's do what's best for the kids here, not what's politically correct.
 Vancer
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/21/2008 3:51:40 AM
A transgender boy that age is virtually impossible to tell they are biologically a boy.
Their behaviour and appearance is that of a girl. It's something they can start to exhibit at are a very young age.
Can start very much younger than 10.

The girls would not even know he was biologically a boy.
What I want to know is how did the one boy find out?
 o76923
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/21/2008 3:25:21 PM
Yeah, I think reading other peoples' posts before commenting is overrated too.

And nobody claims the child is a hermaphrodite, nor is anyone involved claiming any confusion. The child knows her gender and her sex. It isn't the parents saying "you should be a girl" it's the child saying "I'm a girl" and the parents being supportive. I laud their parenting skills and wish there were more parents that open minded out there.

Also, CNN recently ran a piece on transgender children receiving hormonal therapy. They brought in experts from both sides while making sure not to bring in a bigot damning them to hell. The one in favor of it said it's how the child feels and you need to start the hormones around that age because that's when it is happening for people born the sex they feel. The critic said that the potential for sterility is high and if the child is mistaken, it could be irreversable starting that young. Notice that even the critic agreed it was possible to not fit normative gender identity at that age. The only person who was confused on that was Mike Galanos because I'm pretty sure his bit is to play the "knee-jerk" reaction American. That or he doesn't realize everything he says is absurd even by the person whose side he's theoretically on...
 Draskinn
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 3:57:15 PM
Umm why don’t they just have 3 bathrooms?

A Girls room

A Boys room

And a Unisex room

Let anyone use the unisex room and be done with it. This all seems much to do about nothing, for the money they will waste making new laws and then fighting them in court they could probably build a new unisex bathroom in every school in the state.

There done, problem solved.
 Vancer
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/21/2008 4:24:27 PM
Yeah it is a waste.
Started by one very bored uptight grandfather.
He was the **** disturber that made a mountain out of it all.
And used his grandson as a tool.
The grandfather must really, really despise what nature has been allowing since the dawn of time to happen, but that goes against his own ideals of what should and shouldn't exist.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > transgender boy can use girls restroom at school