Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 haywiresue
Msg: 13
HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think MKD defined "here" very accurately, and the comments about the difference between a written profile and forum postings are quite interesting.

I think that the forums are just another way to try and learn about people by finding irregularities between a person's thought process and what is written in their "scripted" profiles. I have read forum postings where a man has caught my attention from what he posted, and when I read his profile found the messages not consistant and would have passed his profile by as "not interesting". A forum posting has caused me to contact a man.

I believe that this site can be as much or as little as a person wants to get from it. I also believe that because so many people are looking for so many different things, that online dating can be very hard on someone who takes things way to seriously and desperately wants to be with someone. It provides an environment to be played, and that is something that I think is just wrong, but unfortunately some people are just opportunists and dont take anothers feelings in consideration. JMHO

For me online dating is one of the many options I have for meeting new people. I enjoy the site, reading profiles, the forums and some events. Its all about what you make of it, and what your expectations are.
 edjoecdn
Msg: 26
view profile
History
HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real
Posted: 2/4/2008 6:34:45 PM
Oh come on !!!

There are the ones that think they'll gain some insight as to someone's total character by what and how they post ( bustardization of the english lang included ).

Ohhh, that is so funny. Each of you'all use this medium as what ever you choose to ! Me i'm with deviant and devilish dinkydoo..." shiets and giggles" , post passionatly and humerously... spell the words as fast as my whitto 2 fingers can type them ( while I am looking at the keyboard ).

Is it a true and accurrate representation of who and what I am ..?
Honestly ... I REALLY don't give a hoot !

Who and what I am looking for in a companion will not be as shallow or hastily judgemental .... so I consider this a "weeding out " of my own !!!

Haveing a designation, letters behind your name, a fancy suit or some other facter that you in your small minds needs or feels makes you superior.... in your own little version of reality is ........................ REALLY okay with me !!!!

Now if I choose NOT TO spell check everything i right ; or review and check for proper punctuation;,,"\ cuase I want to drive the intellects and the "a nally" retentitive ones crazy.... nuts ( yet they still read my posts ?? wtf is up with that ? )

Then I am haveing fun ... shieets & giggles !!!! lol
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 8:24:03 PM
OP - Virginia asked, is POF real - is it a place?

Virginia, your friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a POF. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no POF! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The external light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in POF! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch POF, but even if you did not see POF coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees POF, but that is no sign that there is no POF. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No POF! Thank God! It lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, it will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Oh well - maybe its not such a good analogy.

I think of POF as a place I can say is "here" - even if it's physical presence is limited to electrons. I've met a lot of the people who post and know that they are real.

As MKD said
In fact, in my mind, it is more real than a physical meeting as a tangible artifact is left behind. If we all went to a common place and chatted, it would be physically difficult to catch every conversation going on and we would all have to rely on our respective memories as to what was said. In the forums, time stands still once a post is made so each of us can read what each other person has posted and there is a digital artifact of what was said.
 BiancaPink1
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/5/2008 12:51:18 PM
How is the internet not real? Not only can you converse with real people, you can watch the news, the weather, play games....It must be a fantasy world then. When you sit at the computer and connect to the internet, does time stop? Sometimes I wish it did, then I wouldn't waste so much damn time on here.

I try to be as real as I can be. What you see is what you get. I can be sweet but once you disrespect me, shit hits the fan. I am a Scorpio and we do sting!
 mrkwyd1
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 2:20:04 PM
Well, one can get into some very deep metaphysical type philosphizing on this topic.

Is the internet real?

Define your terms.
The internet DOES in fact exist. It is a communication/information hub on which millions (if not billions) of people transact in some way, shape or form every day. Paying bills, reading the news, playing games, chating with others, discovering new recipies, or learning facinating new facts ....its all here....but, where is here?
If this dang thing ain't real, then I haven't paid a utility bill in over 2 years....which is okay since one of those bills is for Internet access......

The internet is of course real (Its a bunch of tubes....made by Al gore) but there is an old school mentality by a lot of folks who need to quantify things, and let's be honest, the internet is NOT quantifiable, it has no physical location (Components of it, things that allow it to exist, have physical form) or form.
For those who were scratching their head about my "Tubes" comments, a United States Congressmen (Old guy...Zell Miller maybe, I forget) last year refered to the Internet as a bunch of tubes....I suspect because when someone explained what it was to him, they used that analogy and he took it literally.

The argument for its reality I've established, but its argument against is likely a result of its more famous stories. People who misunderstand, or don't use it much, will see it merely as a haven for those who wish to hide their identity, and then reach out to others, using this false facade for either fun or profit.
That poor prince from Nigeria who's always sending emails asking for your help...and bank account. The guy who meets the "Girl" of his dreams only to discover she's not so dreamy...or female (turns out they had more in common than he thought). Those "herbal" blue pills that absolutely do not do what they say despite their money back guarentee, I'm still waiting for my refu... uhm...I mean..
But I digress. The point is that the internet is infamous for being able to provide any type of information you'd like...provided you're not overly conerned with it being...you know...correct (Stephen Colbert artfully demonstrated this by getting his fans to change the Wikipedia entry to say that African Elephants have tripled their population in recent years). The "reality" of what you find on it (Or who you find on it) is often in question, and should ever be given scrutiny by us. From that respect, unlike a library (That is an actual physical building, filled with, what we assume is, legitmate and reputable information) the internet seems like a very unreal place.

In the end, I think it boils down to the fact that, we all know, what we know, some of us allow ourselves to be open to new ideas and some of us, do not. As my Jr. High French teachused to say "Empty cans make the most noise", and its often those folks, that annoy us, and are the most mistaken.

I leave y'all with the best line I heard a few weeks ago by some guy who called up to Power 97 and said "I'm sick of these internet dating sites like Facebook and plenty of Fish, they're for losers, if you want to meet a woman why don't you people just go to the bar and get a girl drunk."
And people say romance is dead.....and ladies...I bet he's single.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 11:24:58 PM

Is it real or isn't it? And it can't be real for one reason and phoney for the next. All or nothing baby, pick a side.

Its both.

Sometimes I'm joking - sometimes I'm serious. You have to be attentive enough to read me.

I read a profile today that says: "If you post in the forums - please don't contact me." There's someone who takes this to be too real.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > HERE is not a place, it's the internet. It’s not real