Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > ROMANTIC VALENTINE'S DINNER      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 imzadie
Msg: 1
ROMANTIC VALENTINE'S DINNERPage 1 of 1    
SHRIMP BITES ON ENDIVE

EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNON
Served with Herbed Mashed Potatoes OR Buttered Noodles

FRAISES OU POIRES IVONGNEE' AU VIN ROUGE
-- (Drunken Pears or Strawberries in Red Wine)
OR
HEAVENLY CARAMELIZED BROWNIES (With Ice Cream)

=====================
SHRIMP BITES ON ENDIVE (Makes 2 plates with 4 to 5 spears each)
--- You can use Crab Meat, canned Tuna or Salmon intead of Shrimp

1 Belgian endive or Raddichio

----- Schrimp Salad ---------
6 oz cooked small Schrimp, either canned or defrosted if frozen
1 Shallot, finely chopped (or 1/2 Tbsp onion)
1/2 tsp Lemon, zest
3 Tbsp grated Radish (or Carrot)
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Tbsp Mustard
Pepper and Salt, if needed to taste
Chopped parsley or chives, to garnish

Separate endive leaves, wash with moist towel and pat dry.

Put the shrimp salad ingredients in a bowl in decending oder. Combine the mayonnaise and mustard well with all the other ingredients.

Using a rounded spoonful, mound the schrimp salad onto the root end of the endive and fill the leaves half the length of the endive. Arrange the stuffed endive boats in a starburst pattern on a couple of salad plates and garnish with chopped parsley or chives.

======================
EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNON (Serves 2, Generously)
1 bottle Red Burgundy Wine (to also serve with dinner)

4 Bacon slices, in 1" inch pieces and fried, - reserve grease
1 1/2 lbs Blade Steak Beef, cubed in 3/4" inch pieces
1 medium Onion chopped
1 clove Garlic, chopped
1 Stalk Celery, or 1/2 cup chopped Cabbage, in 3/4" inch pieces
2 Carrots, chopped, in 3/4" inch pieces
8 medium Mushrooms, sliced in quarters
1 Bay Leaf or 1/2 Tbsp dry Italian Herbs
1 cup Red Burgundy Wine
1 cup Beef Broth (OR omit chopped onion and add 1 envelope Onion Soup Mix + 1 cup water)
Pepper and Salt - if needed to taste
Flour

Preheat oven to 300.F degree oven

Slowly cook bacon in large baking pan; remove. Dredge beef cubes in flour, thoroughly brown in bacon fat one panful at a time. Transfer meat from skillet to heated platter. Saute vegetables and garlic in bacon fat; remove. Drain fat from pan.

Gently combine beef, vegetables, bacon and half the wine. Add bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bake in 300 degree oven for 2 to 3 hours OR put in crock pot on low 8 to 12 hours or high 6 hours.

To thicken, transfer pot to hot stovetop, mix 1/4 cup cornstarch with water; add to stew, stir and remove from heat. Serve with Risotto, Butter Herbed Noodles or Mashed potatoes.

======================================
FRAISES OU POIRES IVONGNEE' AU VIN ROUGE (2 Sevings)
--- Drunken pears or Strawberries in Red Wine

1 pt Strawberries or 1 can of Pears
1 to 2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tsp finely minced Thyme
1/2 cup Red Wine

Stem the strawberries. Leave small berries whole; halve or quarter large ones. Place the berries in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar to taste.

Combine the lemon juice, thyme and wine, then pour over the strawberries. Refrigerate for least 3 hours (6 preferred) before serving. The longer the berries marinate, the more wine-flavored they will become.

==============================
HEAVENLY CARAMELIZED BROWNIES (With Ice Cream)

1 package Brownie Mix
1 cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts
1/4 cup shredded Coconut (optional)
4 Tbsp Butter
1 cup firmly packed light Brown Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions adding the pecans and shredded coconut to the mix. Pour batter into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the sugar and cook, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves. Drizzle the caramel mixture over brownie batter and bake until a toothpick can be inserted and withdrawn cleanly, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve on a dessert plate with a small scoop of Vanilla or Chocolate ice cream.
 jojoaus
Msg: 2
view profile
History
ROMANTIC VALENTINE'S DINNER
Posted: 2/10/2012 2:56:47 PM
The person I WOULD be cooking for is conveniently flying to China on the 13th thus avoiding all the V-day hoopla
 Molly Maude
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2012 3:04:50 PM
IF I had someone to pamper ... I'm thinking double dark chocolate cake with a fudge icing and cherries on top ... that's my favorite go-to when I'm thinking outrageous decadent pazazze ...

MsMicki
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2012 8:30:28 AM
He is cooking......and it will be the first time I've ate his cooking.....and I have no idea if he can cook!
I'm providing dessert....a heart shaped, double layer mandarin orange cake.
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2012 10:20:49 AM
If I had that "some one" to cook for, it would be pulled pork in bbp sauce ( absolutely drowding ) and bread rolls, the messier the better, and nothing to wipe with. You just know you have to end up in the shower.
 RERE1026
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2012 6:11:55 PM
RASCAL!........GOOD PLAN........
 CharminC
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/13/2012 9:14:22 PM
If I had someone to cook for on Valentine's day.....we ...wouldn't ..... ............eat

In fact, I most likely wouldn't cook until the morning after. A huge breakfast to fill a different kind of hunger. Heh.
Perhaps my nutella french toast with whipping cream and sliced almonds
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:00:14 AM
ok ... with regard to the OP's recipes ... I tried the shrimp salad but decided to use prawns instead of the tiny shrimp ... cut all but 2 of the prawns into thirds and included it in the salad ... used the last 2 as decoration on top of the salad ... PERFECT! WONDERFUL! really yummy ...

I made the brownies, too ... my personal opinion is that there was TWICE as much caramel as was needed or maybe even three times ... the caramel completely overshadowed the brownies ... so, if I do this again ... and I probably will ... I'll cut the caramel measurements in half ... otherwise, really great ... I wouldn't have thought of doing that ... great idea!

my usual over brownies is to dump chocolate chips on the brownies when they're fresh out of the oven then, when the chips have melted, just smear them around, leaving a chocolate "icing" that hardens ... that's interesting if you don't over-do it ...

who thinks that the caramel over the top of the brownies followed by chocolate over THAT would be over-the-top???!!!!

many thanks to the OP ... if she's still around!

texasbaby
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 10:02:17 AM
Over the top? Well maybe,, but I'm sure it would be awesome! As for the too much caramel issue Molly, how about pouring the caramel into a small pitcher and allowing each person to use as much or as little as they choose? Chocolate and caramel are so wonderful together, love that combination! We are eating a dark chocolate cake with caramel frosting at my house right now.

tb
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > ROMANTIC VALENTINE'S DINNER