Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Jewelry from others      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 1
Jewelry from othersPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
A poll for both genders:

You go out on a date with someone, they are wearing a watch, necklace, whatever that you comment favorably on. They let it slip, that its a gift from a prior lover.

Would this bother you on the first date? If you two entered into a relationship and you continued to see this device, would it bother you? Would you do something about it?
 jugularpot
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 2/12/2008 5:27:24 AM
I would not be worried by this in the slightest. Jewellery is my passion and I would not get rid of a piece of jewellery that had been given to me as a gift just because a man objected to it!! It is no different to wearing jewellery that your Mother or Brother had given you in my opinion. Everyone has a past held in memories, houses, jewellery whatever so I don't see how it could affect a relationship unless the ex was still buying expensive diamond rings for the person or something even though they were in a new relationship. If it is a first date you don't know how or if anything is going to develop anyway and I would be very wary of a man if they showed signs of jealousy at that early stage by being upset at me wearing jewellery from an ex - I would probably flee!!
Jewelry from others
Posted: 2/12/2008 6:44:01 AM
OMG, the nerve of this woman, to have dared have a life before you came along to sweep her off her feet.

Get over yourself, if you want to have an adult relationship someday.
 Miss W
Msg: 4
Jewelry from others
Posted: 2/12/2008 10:09:44 AM
You are reading way too much into it...making a mountain out of a molehill and a thunderclap out of a fart. Besides, I buy my own jewelry and let others shower me with kitchen gadgets....sigh.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 5
Jewelry from others
Posted: 2/12/2008 7:35:55 PM
No it wouldn't bother me.
I wouldn't even think about.

Someone else may have got my date jewelry.
But if I'm with her, then I got the jewel.
:-)
 virgogidget
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 2/12/2008 7:53:25 PM
I would say thank you and leave it at that.
 Vannili
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:05:32 AM
mrvitamix....I adorned myself of jewelries,I believe that I deserved to wear gold and diamonds/stones from my hard earned money. It reflects the quality of personality and life... It is tacky and cheap to tell a date how she acquired her piece of jewelry that shows that she is classless.
 cookie22222
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:30:45 AM
I think it's tacky too on a first date to say an ex gave it to her. While I appreciate jewelry, I don't really wear much. I do have a ring, which was my engagement ring (he died) which I now wear on my right hand. I've had people say it's pretty or whatever, and I just say thank you. If someone asks where I got it, or comments that it looks like an engagement ring - I tell them. I've had a lot of dates but never rubbed anyone's nose in it...and when I have told dates where it came from they were all ok with it - except for one who seemed terribly upset by the concept. For the most part I don't think it matters...the problem was this woman chose to tell you all about it on the first date - maybe she was warning you what she would expect for Christmas?
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 9
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/16/2008 7:24:27 PM

anamored

This is NOT a word.

You're either armored or enamoured
but you can't be both at the same time in the same word.

Well, you could be, I suppose, and maybe that would make you a knight?

My opinion? The simplest and most appropriate answer would be to reply with a simple "thank you".

Anything else is vulgar and unneccessary information.
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/17/2008 8:52:16 AM
Well, the person shouldn't have let that information slip in the first place. .....it was totally unneccessary. Even so, if you let something like that bother you......you are very insecure. Its in the past. Besides, theres no way that I am parting with a great piece of jewelry !!! If it was something, like a watch that was worn everyday, and it really bothered you......buy her a new one....that is much more impressive!
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 11
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/8/2016 11:28:50 AM
Wow, GTO ... I can't believe you were actually involved in a hit n run thread !

I had to see this to believe it !
 cooldog65
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/8/2016 7:14:41 PM
^^^^^ I wanna see GTO come back to his 8 year old thread. He was such a newbie then...
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/9/2016 1:33:58 AM
If the question is asked about where she acquired the jewelery then I would say rather, from a "friend". However wearing jewelery from an ex lover on a first date with someone new, is not something I would do. In fact I tend not to wear anything an ex lover gave me although I may keep it. However on a first date where you are strangers there should not be any feelings one way or another.
 gtomustang
Msg: 14
Thanks Chuck, now this is going to bug me
Posted: 11/9/2016 5:04:31 AM
The Cubs won the pennant, a reality TV star won an election, and I got involved in a hit-n-git thread....we're seeing the End Times :) lol

Now I just wish I can remember who I spoke to that made me post this question. It wasn't me, but i'll be perfectly frank, years and years and years ago I cyberflirted w/ a married woman from afar who wanted a gift for an upcoming holiday, and I sent her a necklace that I figured wouldn't stand out, and she complained to a common cyber friend of mine that it wasn't gold. I guess she wasn't worried about having to explain it. Then there was the last woman I asked out, who told me she had a bf, and he had just bought her a house (if you saw how hot she was, you'd understand--she really was the type who could attract a guy like that).

I'm going to have to try to think the background story to the question and report back...it must have been amusing enough for me to start a post about it. Maybe someone else at that time had posted something about it and i wanted to take it to a separate post? My last date's been 13 something years ago, and I could have given her a "necklace" of my own then, so it had to be someone else I was thinking about :)

personally, I think the responses have been pretty entertaining so far...now I want to see how further it goes, except I probably just broke the fourth wall and influenced the outcomes.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/9/2016 5:33:12 AM
LOL
Now now GTO don't be shy. I need more details
 Maleman999
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/9/2016 9:16:54 AM

In fact I tend not to wear anything an ex lover gave me although I may keep it.

Isn't that the definition of a hoarder-keeping stuff you don't necessarily want or need?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/9/2016 10:34:10 AM
It wouldn't occur to me to ask where someone got something like that.
And if they did answer a former lover or whatever, I wouldn't care.
I wouldn't say who gave me stuff (unless it was a family heirloom I guess).
The only thing anyone has to know is it's mine.
If I'm wearing it, I like it.

That includes guys on my arm!
 gtomustang
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/9/2016 4:37:06 PM
guy on your arm? there must be a soap to remove that. I raked the lawn today and had a ladybug on my arm. so i'm still bugged.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2016 11:15:35 AM
I think all posters have had some good answers so far.

I'm not so sure how rude it would be, but if the comment came from a woman -- I don't think it would be too wise.

Some men tend to see jewelry on a woman and ASSUME it was a gift from another man. They man also ASSUME that the jewelry is real, and might have no idea what the jewelry costs. The man could ASSUME that the lady is still emotionally attached to the bearer of the gift. He might further ASSUME that the woman is question is going to expect gifts of jewelry or other items from them -- and bail. A lady might lose out on a very good man over something very stupid.

As for me, when I am "looking" I leave my own jewelry at home. After a few dates with someone, I may tell him that I have not been wearing it because I didn't want him to think I was the "gold digger type" -- I have too much already. I will also tell him that most of it is either costume, something I bought myself or old family treasures. I will never say which is which. Then I ask if he minds my wearing it. He's usually just fine with that.

Funny thing though. It seems that I can wear my gold Concord watch and heavy gold omega necklaces anywhere. Most men won't even notice. But put on something that sparkles -- even fake -- and look out! It will catch their eye immediately

The men who do know what the omegas and the watch are worth seem to be the ones with plenty of money who are not threatened by the jewelry in the least. The ones who don't know what they are don't even see them.

Yes, I know. I'm wearing a big ol' fake sparkler in my profile pictures. I am also not looking at this time.

If the person commenting that their watch was a gift, it might sound a tiny bit more pompous than if said by a lady. At least IMHO.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/11/2016 3:23:22 AM
Most women wear jewellery bought by a previous partner. I've often seen engagement, wedding and eternity rings swapped to other fingers and thumbs. It's not necessarily bad form to wear it but it's bad form to state where it came from without being asked.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 21
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/11/2016 5:17:03 AM
And they wear jewellery they bought for themselves. Why would it be considered bad form to wear an eternity ring, etc?
I have found most men don't really care or know the value unless they work in the business.
I've seen some nice dinner rings done when ppl have the stones reset so it doesn't look like an engagement set for example.
I'm wear a gold concord if Satan gifted me. White gold pls in cause S is actually on POF.
Now that would be a Profile
 browneyesboo
Msg: 22
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/13/2016 7:52:10 AM
I actually have a guy tattooed on my arm. He's short and bald and his pockets are hanging out because he's too poor to buy coffee.

Hahaha!
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 23
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/13/2016 12:14:37 PM

You go out on a date with someone, they are wearing a watch, necklace, whatever that you comment favorably on. They let it slip, that its a gift from a prior lover.

Would this bother you on the first date? If you two entered into a relationship and you continued to see this device, would it bother you? Would you do something about it?

I generally just wear jewelry that I like. Never could abide rings on my fingers. Though I appreciated a guy who tried to give me one (or two) Got in the way .I do like looking at them---for the gems and jewels---so beautiful.
I developed a sensitivity to various metals over the years and can no longer wear pierced earrings. Love necklaces. Funky, arty fun ones. I own pearls, just because---bought the necklace myself--too delicate for every day wear. I inherited my mom's wedding ring (lost my own band, oops, dad gave me mom's after she died).

I had a BF who would take off his wristwatch when we were together. I told him I liked that---like he made 'TIME' for me---hahaha

A guy who wears a lot of jewelry gives me pause. If a guy was flashing his gold watch, Italian horn, whatever---that his former lover had given him---well. not my kind of guy<
 Maleman999
Msg: 24
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/13/2016 1:30:14 PM

I had a BF who would take off his wristwatch when we were together. I told him I liked that---like he made 'TIME' for me---hahaha

But-did you both turn off your cell phones or leave them home? Cell phones give you the time.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Jewelry from others
Posted: 11/13/2016 3:31:07 PM

I'm wear a gold concord if Satan gifted me.

The once famous actress ZaZa Gabor said "I never hated a man bad enough to give his diamonds back".

White gold pls in cause S is actually on POF.

Actually, He probably is
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Jewelry from others