Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Plentyoffish Voice Mail and SMS Messaging System.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 markus
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Plentyoffish Voice Mail and SMS Messaging System.Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
As you can see on profiles with pictures and your emails there is now a option to reply with a Voicemail.

1. SMS messages only work in the US at the moment I believe. (Every provider works differently outside the US, some may work)

2. The dropdowns in your contact/phonebook allow you to redirect calls to either your cell phone or leave a voice mail in your POF inbox.

3. At no point in time will anyone know your real phone number. If you want to call someone a fake phone number is generated. If the recieving user doesn't have an account or they are routing calls to their inbox you can only leave a voice mail. All voice mails will show up in their plentyoffish Inbox.

4. To signup for this, click on a user you want to leave a voice mail, either from the Leave a voicemail link on their profile or from the link provided when you are reading a message from them and follow the instructions.

5. Currently phone activation is a long distance call but it lasts only 5 to 8 seconds. Calls to other users etc should all be local calls if you are in a major city.

If the recieving user has added you to their contacts and set calls to be fowarded to their phone you will connect with them live. (think of it as a fancy conference call system)

There are no charges for the system. But you will be charged your standard fees by the phone companies if you are calling a long distance number or are sending SMS's etc.
 markus
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Plentyoffish Voice Mail and SMS Messaging System.
Posted: 2/12/2008 4:50:34 PM
Voicemail should work fine anywhere in the world.
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2008 5:02:35 PM
Wow, this is so cool...haven't tried it out yet, but neat idea admin.

How do you manage to offer these things on a free dating site?

Thanks for always making the pond a wonderful place to swim!!
 Two Tickets
Msg: 4
view profile
History
I tried testing this (way cool feature) but it didn't seem to work
Posted: 2/12/2008 5:06:22 PM
Hi,
I tried testing this (to myself) and I don't get it.
I followed the prompts but aucune chance
 markus
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2008 8:02:05 PM
These things will be fixed...
 markus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2008 8:08:50 PM
exactly
 theforumfiend
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/12/2008 9:18:19 PM
Admin, I have to tease - will this be as realible as the IM system that rarely downloads?
 markus
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2008 12:09:58 AM
All calls should be local, no hidden charges.

Phone activation isn't a local call but it takes between 5 and 8 seconds.

The SMS coverage outside the US is spotty as jangl doesn't have deals with providers like Telus.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/13/2008 1:43:31 AM
I can just call you or another mod and **** at you directly?

Not a Chance ... lol

I tried to sent a message to my friend down the road but it said I would have to pay long distance charges for the number I was told to dial.

According to the Admin's Original Post on this thread:

But you will be charged your standard fees by the phone companies if you are calling a long distance number or are sending SMS's etc.

Related Links:How do you disable voice mail
Reply with voicemail
 SLAFFA
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/13/2008 3:04:32 AM
EGADS! If I am understanding this correctly, what you have just done or are attempting to do is eliminate that flimsy ages old EXCUSE that "we could not possibly have a phone conversation like 2 adults. You might "get" my phone number and torment me till I die." My guess is that there are many folks already trying to figure out a new excuse for endless emails!

Nice Job!
 JCLARK8
Msg: 12
meet
Posted: 2/13/2008 3:04:41 AM
leave me detail message i will get back to u
 JCLARK8
Msg: 13
meet
Posted: 2/13/2008 3:07:11 AM
leave me detail message i will get back to u
 smiley765
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/13/2008 9:59:04 AM
im stress because i cant seem to get me a girl i just want one to go steady with
 smiley765
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/13/2008 10:00:45 AM
is there a single girl out there that doesnt play games i want to go steady
 Two Tickets
Msg: 16
view profile
History
I tried testing this . To get it to work all I need to do was
Posted: 2/13/2008 8:21:17 PM
I tried testing this . To get it to work all I needed to do was to read the directions!
 originalambie97
Msg: 17
I tried testing this . To get it to work all I need to do was
Posted: 2/13/2008 9:33:43 PM
What happens if you want to remove your information from it? I mean is it something simple to do?
 lorettastoner
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/14/2008 4:46:53 AM
hey how did you sign up for this.
 anessa2027
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/15/2008 3:27:06 AM
any one can leave a voice mail on my pof or send sms...
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/15/2008 10:31:17 AM

How do you manage to offer these things on a free dating site?

And, according to an article in the Wall Street Journal, he does it working about 10 hours a week with 1.5 employees...and made $10 million dollars! Not bad work when you can get it!

CasualSoul
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2008 11:08:13 AM
Same here!!!! It worked fine for me the first time I used it, but now I get the "User Already Exists" message. I am certain I am using the same PIN as when I did it the first time.
 CasualSoul
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2008 11:34:10 AM
I think this new Voice mail and anonymous telephone connection system (Jangl) is an AWESOME new feature for POF and any criticism of it must be based on pure ignorance.

This new system is basically combining a telephone based dating service like Lavalife-By-Phone with an on-line dating service. Combining the two like this is a concept that is very long over due frankly. The phone based systems have always had some advantages in that you actually hear the person's voice in their intro profile and in any voice mail they leave for you. A person's voice and mannerism on the phone can tell you a LOT about who they are. Also, the phone based systems have always been better than the on-line systems at cutting through the BS of getting to the actual interactive phone conversation stage, which, in my opinion, is usually a critical first step to determining if you have any chemistry with the person. The problem with the telephone dating systems is that you have no idea what the person you're talking to really looks like and their introduction profile just can't have nearly as much information in it as an on-line service like POF. I used to ask women on theses phone systems if they had photos on-line anywhere and I even used to send them to visit my POF profile. By adding the voice service to POF we now have the best of both worlds!!

Now, if we can just get it to work I'll be VERY happy.
 markus
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2008 3:27:12 PM
There was a problem and jangl didn't send me 4,000 or so new users phone numbers that signed up yesterday. It should all be fixed now.
 CasualSoul
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 1:23:55 PM
I don't understand why some of you make things so complicated. If you don't want to listen to a voice mail message then don't play it and just delete it from your inbox like any other unwanted message. DUH!!
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/16/2008 6:11:04 PM
It appears to have been removed.
 rich man
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/18/2008 10:50:34 PM
well i myself have not tried it yet!...but i'll just stick with just emailing!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Plentyoffish Voice Mail and SMS Messaging System.